'Minutes to Midnight' Alternate Versions Streaming on Apple Music

LPLStaff

The three Minutes to Midnight songs released in 2012-2013+ with the wrong versions are apparently the versions that are still streaming on Apple Music, as confirmed by a few Twitter users this past week. These were originally released on HDTracks, then the "Mastered for iTunes" version of Minutes To Midnight in 2013, and in 2017 on the picture vinyl release of the album. The three songs affected are 'Shadow of the Day' (different strings and bass), 'No Roads Left' (added drum track and louder strings), and 'Across the Line' (no bass on the first verse).

We have the three Alternate Versions on our LPLive Archive YouTube channel to listen to.

In terms of digital versions, there are a few places where you can still get the original versions.

NRL is available in the 15-track version of the album with it, only in Japan. ATL is available in original version only in the LPU digital album. SOTD original version is available worldwide, even on iTunes (there is non-Mastered for iTunes version of the album still available there in few countries), also it is available still on the single.

Edited by martinez

On 6/27/2021 at 10:44 AM, Coizu said:

I am afraid of a future where the proper versions are erased from the internet. How does no one at the band, management or label care about this issue? No Roads Left sounds like a joke.

I still can stream the originals, but only because I bought the album on iTunes when it was first released in 2007.

I can't even put into words how bad the "alternate" version of NRL sounds, and the synths on the "alternate" SOTD sound super obnoxious and loud to me when compared to the original release.

Edited by Justin

What were the differences in across the line again? 

I sometimes wonder if the "alternate" versions are the proper versions and the other ones are something like tests to see how stuff sounded that through mislableing got mixed, mastered and released. 

One would normaly say thats impossible but you never know if the band even listened to the album before it was allready out.

49 minutes ago, Robrobbsen said:

wonder if the "alternate" versions are the proper versions

I doubt they would replace the very LP-ish synth in SOTD for cheap string sounds. also 2013 NRL sounds like what they did to Iridescent in a hurry. Don't know about 2013 ATL though.

Sometimes I wonder if people do not have 2007 NRL offline? 'Cause in Germany MTM Tour Editions are no rarity at all. Even LPU9 is still available in some stores, so 2009 (?) ATL is still out there on sale.

I can't really distinguished Across the Line's differences between the two versions. Which bass are we referring to? I compared the two versions both of them doesn't have bass on first verse.

1 hour ago, RYG4R said:

I can't really distinguished Across the Line's differences between the two versions. Which bass are we referring to? I compared the two versions both of them doesn't have bass on first verse.

0:21 bass starts on the LPU 9 version. No bass in verse one on the alternate version. 

So if I had the Tour Edition of MTM I'd still have the original "SOTD" and "NRL", same with the LPU9 CD and Across The Line? Then I could purchase the alternate versions of all 3 of these songs on HDTracks to have both the original and alternate versions? 

Edited by deuceisback73

1 hour ago, deuceisback73 said:

So if I had the Tour Edition of MTM I'd still have the original "SOTD" and "NRL", same with the LPU9 CD and Across The Line? Then I could purchase the alternate versions of all 3 of these songs on HDTracks to have both the original and alternate versions? 

The alternate versions of No Roads Left and Across The Line aren't available on HDTracks (at least in my country), only Shadow Of The Day. You can find them on Apple Music or Amazon:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/minutes-to-midnight-deluxe-edition/590427297

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07W12SNYS/

If you own physical copies of Minutes To Midnight (Tour Edition) and LP Underground 9.0: Demos, then yes, you have the original versions. If you don't have them and would like to purchase digital versions:

On 6/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, martinez said:

In terms of digital versions, there are a few places where you can still get the original versions.

NRL is available in the 15-track version of the album with it, only in Japan. ATL is available in original version only in the LPU digital album. SOTD original version is available worldwide, even on iTunes (there is non-Mastered for iTunes version of the album still available there in few countries), also it is available still on the single.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:00 AM, LPLStaff said:

The three Minutes to Midnight songs released in 2012-2013+ with the wrong versions are apparently the versions that are still streaming on Apple Music, as confirmed by a few Twitter users this past week. These were originally released on HDTracks, then the "Mastered for iTunes" version of Minutes To Midnight in 2013, and in 2017 on the picture vinyl release of the album. The three songs affected are 'Shadow of the Day' (different strings and bass), 'No Roads Left' (added drum track and louder strings), and 'Across the Line' (no bass on the first verse).

We have the three Alternate Versions on our LPLive Archive YouTube channel to listen to.

OMG THANK YOU GUYS SOOOOOO MUCH! I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THESE FOR LIKE 2 MONTHS!

On 6/30/2021 at 1:55 PM, lpliveusername said:

The alternate versions of No Roads Left and Across The Line aren't available on HDTracks (at least in my country), only Shadow Of The Day. You can find them on Apple Music or Amazon:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/minutes-to-midnight-deluxe-edition/590427297

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07W12SNYS/

If you own physical copies of Minutes To Midnight (Tour Edition) and LP Underground 9.0: Demos, then yes, you have the original versions. If you don't have them and would like to purchase digital versions:

Thanks for the information! I asked with HDTracks because I could no longer see them [even with a VPN] either but did find something interesting going into my own collection - I have a "MTM" deluxe with the "NRL and "ATL" as bonus tracks. The majority of the album is in 24bit 48khz FLAC except those last two they're just regular 16bit 44.1khz FLAC (I tested the whole album and it's real FLAC as far as I can see. It's definitely a digital purchase too) so maybe I bought it when they were originally released back then on HDTracks. I compared each of the three songs to the ones from the YouTube links that were posted and these are definitely the alternate versions! Regardless of the quality of the changes I still like to have them as a collector in lossless form... just didn't realize they existed like that and only through lossy tracks on iTunes 😅

Where they only on HDTracks (NRL & ATL) for a very short amount of time? Before the whole "Mastered for iTunes" stuff happened?

5 hours ago, deuceisback73 said:

Where they only on HDTracks (NRL & ATL) for a very short amount of time? Before the whole "Mastered for iTunes" stuff happened?

No only standard version was without the bonus tracks. I don't think I remember NRL and ATL being on HDtracks at all. Other stores clearly shows that the last two tracks has 24-bit not 16-bit, they always had different frequencies.

10 hours ago, martinez said:

No only standard version was without the bonus tracks. I don't think I remember NRL and ATL being on HDtracks at all. Other stores clearly shows that the last two tracks has 24-bit not 16-bit, they always had different frequencies.

Ohh ok - I think I found out how I got them now that you mention they weren't there to begin with.  I wanted just FLAC (no MQA stuff) and I had bought it fully from TIDAL - thank you for that link to buy all of the alternate version with no MQA!

• 2 weeks later...