"LP8" Thread

LPLStaff

General thread for a potential 8th Linkin Park studio album, if the band makes a comeback and does end up releasing one.
Collecting everything here - and feel free to post any relevant news, topics, quotes, discussion, etc. about the future of Linkin Park in this thread.

- January 25, 2018 - Mike via Twitter
"I have every intention on continuing with LP, and the guys feel the same. We have a lot of rebuilding to do, and questions to answer, so it’ll take time."

• April 15, 2019 - Joe via Yonhap News
"And… Now the band has started talking about making new music together." ((("Will Linkin Park come back?"))) -> "Maybe in about 10 years? (Laughs) It might be sooner. I don't want to set a deadline. We just want to focus on the present and talk about music. We aren't discussing detailed plans. I just want to go back to those days when I made music in the garage."

• April 19, 2020 - Dave, via Instagram Live (LAFC)
"We're not done. Band wise  or team wise, we're not done. [...] Band wise, we are always kind of writing, we are always working on new music. Right now, with what's going on in the international situation, we're a little bit on pause on all that."

April 21, 2020 - Dave via Facebook Live (Dan Really Likes Wine)
"So at this point, globally, we are all doing a version of the same thing. For us with the band, we have been writing before this all started. Casually at this point we are doing Zoom meetings to eat lunch together and say hi. But we are not able to get together and write or do that whole bit. We're working at home a little bit, working up ideas. I've been playing a lot of drums just to do something new. I've been doing that for the last year, year and a half, and I've been purposely making as much noise as possible to create my own space in the house."

May 29, 2020 - Mike via Twitch
"Someone is asking if Linkin Park is over. That's a deep question man. As far as I know, Linkin Park is not over. But Linkin Park is also in quarantine, like everybody else."

• October 23, 2020 - Brad via Spin
“When asked if Linkin Park are working on new songs for their eighth studio record, Delson smiled widely — knowingly. “I think everything is open,” he explained. “Certainly, a lot is undefined, but I think the possibility is wide open.”

• October 2020 - Brad via Space Shower TV
"We can see each other over Zoom. We've actually been doing some really cool press for this Hybrid Theory release, so... While I haven't been with those guys in person recently, in this kinda way we can be together."

• October 26, 2021 - Mike via Tuna on Toast with Stryker
“For me, I’m like, ok physically I could still tour. That part’s good. Hopefully that doesn’t change any time soon. But now is not the time [for the band's return]. [...] We don’t have the focus on it. We don’t have the math worked out. And I don’t mean that by financially math, I mean that like emotional and creative math. [...] Our bar for like, the threshold for what would be acceptable is high. Just like always. For our band, anything that we do, it’s like it’s gotta be, it’s gotta clear a certain bar. So there’s no, nothing has cleared the bar."

April 22, 2022 - Mike via Twitch
"There is a piece of Linkin Park news. I don't want to spoil anything... it's very very minor, let me put it that way. The only Linkin Park news I have for you is that... yeah, we talk like every few weeks, like I talk to the guys, or some of the guys. And there’s no tours, there’s no music, there’s no albums in the pipeline, ok? So, let me just tell you that. So, just keep in your minds that that is not happening. I'm just gonna say that much, for now, ok. I say that because anytime the band says anything or does anything, everyone is, like... tries to start up the hype train and we're like, 'No, no, no, no, don't start up the hype train', you're gonna disappoint yourself, so don't do that."

May 3, 2022 - Linkin Park via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter (Launch of "Notes From The Band" newsletter)

"Hey Everyone,

Two decades in and our LP community continues to inspire us. Your passion and dedication is the lifeblood of what we’ve built together with you. And it doesn’t go unnoticed. 

We thought it was about time to begin sharing a little more regularly with you. Starting this mon, we’ll be putting (digital) pen to (digital) paper to share NOTES FROM THE BAND––tiny snapshots into our daily misadventures, from us each month. There’s no concrete plan, but that’s what we like about it.
Until then…

All our best,

Rob, Brad, Dave, Joe & Mike"

February 10, 2023 - Mike via KROQ with Nicole Alvarez
"I'll say this way. Normally, I'm really trying to just manage expectations a little bit, especially lately in the last few years. It's like, there are certain things that are going to be on the table, certain things that are off the table. With this release, shockingly, I was like, 'I don't think there's very much to say it's off the table. Touring is the only thing, we're not touring right now. But the rest of their immagination, where I know their heads are gonna go, it's like, 'Oh, is there this? Is there that? Can we do this? Can we do that?'... I think to a lot of that it's a yes."

"There's just more music. So, I've got stuff I've produced that are other people's songs, got my own song, and we got the Linkin Park stuff. And that's not even everything that we're gonna be doing around this for Linkin Park fans. So, this is a great time to be a Linkin Park fan."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 6:47 AM, Razorkvn said:

LPU21 🤷‍♂️

On 10/11/2021 at 9:12 AM, DIE4U92 said:

With 12 demos of Points of Authority with slightly different lyrics in the rap part. Yeeeah 

I was thinking Ashes, Turn To Grey, Deftest, Slip (Xero Demo), Carousel (Xero Demo), Step Up (Xero Demo), Pointillism, Stick N Move (1998 Xero Demo), stuff like that.

3 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

Every day I come to this site hoping to see signs of Linkin Park doing anything. It's cool that Mike is doing all kinds of stuff but I'd like to see what these five could do together. Even a live show or something would be nice. I miss Linkin Park.

Yeah dude actually Mike needs the rest of the guys there's a huge gap in terms of quality of his solo stuff and LP stuff.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:57 PM, LPLStaff said:

February 10, 2023 - Mike via KROQ with Nicole Alvarez
"I'll say this way. Normally, I'm really trying to just manage expectations a little bit, especially lately in the last few years. It's like, there are certain things that are going to be on the table, certain things that are off the table. With this release, shockingly, I was like, 'I don't think there's very much to say it's off the table. Touring is the only thing, we're not touring right now. But the rest of their immagination, where I know their heads are gonna go, it's like, 'Oh, is there this? Is there that? Can we do this? Can we do that?'... I think to a lot of that it's a yes."

"There's just more music. So, I've got stuff I've produced that are other people's songs, got my own song, and we got the Linkin Park stuff. And that's not even everything that we're gonna be doing around this for Linkin Park fans. So, this is a great time to be a Linkin Park fan."

First update in 2023!

5 hours ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

He pretty much confirmed the band is making new music and they will put out something later this year. When he says “I know where fans heads are gonna go”, he’s basically confirming they’re doing new music together and putting it out, there’s no other meaning possible

Actually no, we're all expecting more crypto NFT stuff 😂

Edited by bloodbath

1 hour ago, leftshoe18 said:

The thought of new Linkin Park music is getting me excited. The Meteora anniversary stuff is great but I would take brand new music over unreleased old music any day.

I don't want to start the third world war here. I'm a huge Linkin Park fan and I am and will be excited by anything they are going to release. Mike has been my biggest inspiration in music and life for around 13 or 14 years now. However, I'm not sure if I myself would pick new music over old unreleased songs with Chester. Don't get me wrong, but if LP decides to go on with Mike as the only vocalist, most of the band's stuff will be hugely similar to Post Traumatic. It is an amazing album in my opinion, but it doesn't have as much LP feeling as the stuff with Chester on vocals. There is something about Chester's voice mixed with Mike's production that creates that LP feeling. Obviously now that Chester's passed away we won't get any new music with this combination of musical elements, but what I'm trying to say is that I am personally waiting for Friendly Fire or other unreleased songs with Chester's voice more than for the new album from them. I want the band to come back, I'm going to support them no matter what, but I'm just comparing these two things. Lost is a typical Linkin Park song with a style that I can't get enough of. I'm almost certain that something will be lacking in the new LP music. Even if there were songs on the previous albums that had Mike as the lead vocalist, there would be other songs that had Chester as the main vocalist. It created interesting dynamics. We won't turn back time, obviously, and there will not be any new music with Chester. It's time to move on, but Linkin Park's releases will probably be never as exciting as it used to be. Don't get me wrong - I am waiting very eagerly for new music from Mike and possibly LP; I'm just comparing two different eras of the band's existence. I'm not sure if I conveyed well what I wanted to say. I hope I did 😀

• 1 month later...

What do y'all actually want from a new LP track? I feel like there's gonna be a lot of disappointment no matter what direction they take. 

Personally, I think something like Debris would be a great sound. It's Mike-led, you have the gang vocals to make the whole band feel present on a track that is gonna be looked at through the lens of "who are these guys without Chester", and it has their hybrid sound without being HT/Meteora

Either that, or I'd like a track that is super organic. Acoustic guitars or little distortion, a rhythm section that is expressive, etc. Like Three Band Terror or Final Masquerade Acoustic but with more interesting instrumentation

13 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

What do y'all actually want from a new LP track? I feel like there's gonna be a lot of disappointment no matter what direction they take. 

Personally, I think something like Debris would be a great sound. It's Mike-led, you have the gang vocals to make the whole band feel present on a track that is gonna be looked at through the lens of "who are these guys without Chester", and it has their hybrid sound without being HT/Meteora

Either that, or I'd like a track that is super organic. Acoustic guitars or little distortion, a rhythm section that is expressive, etc. Like Three Band Terror or Final Masquerade Acoustic but with more interesting instrumentation

I want an album that has the spirit of Papercut, they need to prove the world that they can still be agressive and sound hard without Chester.

If they do another pop slow album who's gonna be interested in going to their concerts?

They need more HIGH ENERGY SONGS that Mike can do on his own and of course they need someone else to sing the hits, they are an old band and they must play like 12 songs from their catalog.