"LP8" Thread

LPLStaff

1 hour ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

I want an album that has the spirit of Papercut, they need to prove to the world that they can still be aggressive and sound hard without Chester.

If they make another pop slow album, who will be interested in going to their concerts?

They need more HIGH ENERGY SONGS that Mike can do by himself and of course they need someone else to sing the hits, they are an old band and have to play like 12 songs from their catalog.

You said it for me. Totally agree with this.

Edited by Hybrider

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

I want an album that has the spirit of Papercut, they need to prove the world that they can still be agressive and sound hard without Chester.

If they do another pop slow album who's gonna be interested in going to their concerts?

They need more HIGH ENERGY SONGS that Mike can do on his own and of course they need someone else to sing the hits, they are an old band and they must play like 12 songs from their catalog.

I see the vision, but I wouldn't bet on proving their ability to be aggressive actually being important to them. Honestly I expect the next release, if it ever happens and despite what some of us might want, to be quite chill and pop. Something that would fit in with Coldplay's Music of The Spheres type sound, with the lyrics and melodies being more important than the energy or how metal/aggressive they can be

37 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

I see the vision, but I wouldn't bet on proving their ability to be aggressive actually being important to them. Honestly I expect the next release, if it ever happens and despite what some of us might want, to be quite chill and pop. Something that would fit in with Coldplay's Music of The Spheres type sound, with the lyrics and melodies being more important than the energy or how metal/aggressive they can be

They already tried several times to create a pop hit with Mike on vocals

NONE OF THEM  SUCCEEDED 

What could work w Mike as the lead is stuff like Papercut, It's Going Down, Rebellion and Castle of Glass.

A mix of that would make the band look strong.

We dont need more pop shit that no one gives a fuck in 10 days.

Edited by JZ-GreyDaze

1 hour ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

NONE OF THEM  SUCCEEDED 

What could work w Mike as the lead is stuff like Papercut, It's Going Down, Rebellion and Castle of Glass.

A mix of that would make the band look strong.

We dont need more pop shit that no one gives a fuck in 10 days.

Exactly. Why making stuff that clearly doesn't atract most of fans and is not so successful? Instead they can make a stuff that have verified success.

4 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

Maybe instead of trying to aim for what would be successful they make the music they want to make. You know...the thing Linkin Park has been doing since the beginning.

Yeah exactly. Plus you have to put success into perspective here...both Invisible and Sorry For Now have more than 40 million plays each. Warner has many artists that would kill for those kinds of plays on a new lead single, let alone deeper cuts like those are. Mike himself will reliably get over a few million plays on everything he releases (barring the instrumental albums). I don't think anyone is gonna miss a vacation or car payment because LP puts out pop instead of nu metal. 

30 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

Yeah exactly. Plus you have to put success into perspective here...both Invisible and Sorry For Now have more than 40 million plays each. Warner has many artists that would kill for those kinds of plays on a new lead single, let alone deeper cuts like those are. Mike himself will reliably get over a few million plays on everything he releases (barring the instrumental albums). I don't think anyone is gonna miss a vacation or car payment because LP puts out pop instead of nu metal. 

OML had a massive boost because Chester passed away.

Read the news before Chester's death. The press and fan/non fans had a very very very negative opininion about the album.

22 hours ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

Read the news before Chester's death. The press and fan/non fans had a very very very negative opininion about the album.

It is the worst LP album ever made. I have no favorite song from there.

• 9 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 11:37 PM, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Waiting for Tomorrow is a banger and would work in that style. How you play that live and to what extent is something like that interesting live with so much playback is an entirely different thing, though.

4 hours ago, MeteoraSpartan said:

First comment of 2024 do you think we will get new Linkin Park news this year?

15 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

Expect a 10 year gap between albums. Not joking.

Doesn't look like anything anytime soon. They had fewer members participate in Meteora 20 than HT20. So, probably not. 2020 was a great time for it and they were writing music... hopefully COVID didn't ruin it forever. Hope they come back sometime this decade...

Roxy 2004 in full would be a great CC 2004 celebration. Think about it, they don't need any permission from Jay-Z to put out Don't Stay, Somewhere I Belong, the medley, Breaking the Habit, and From the Inside. 5 songs. Smokeout 2003 sent people into fits...imagine what these 5 songs would do.  Is there a better time in history than now to release the extra 5 songs?

As much as I'd like MFR 2005 to be released, they'd probably have to work that out with Jay-Z somehow. That show is AMAZING and would be great. But the Roxy songs seem like an easy, grand slam idea and people would buy the footage however they put it out. Throw it on a cardboard case bonus DVD or something.

14 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

Roxy 2004 in full would be a great CC 2004 celebration. Think about it, they don't need any permission from Jay-Z to put out Don't Stay, Somewhere I Belong, the medley, Breaking the Habit, and From the Inside. 5 songs. Smokeout 2003 sent people into fits...imagine what these 5 songs would do.  Is there a better time in history than now to release the extra 5 songs?

As much as I'd like MFR 2005 to be released, they'd probably have to work that out with Jay-Z somehow. That show is AMAZING and would be great. But the Roxy songs seem like an easy, grand slam idea and people would buy the footage however they put it out. Throw it on a cardboard case bonus DVD or something.

Two questions: Is there any professional recording of MFR 2005? Not saying a Rock am Ring 04 / Milton Keynes 08 kind of, but somewhat like Veterans Stadium 03, Fillmore 01... A bare bones pro shot, I mean. 

Any chances to also see the full version of the Live 8? It would be a great time to proper remaster that show, although with the Jay Z songs and the tracks included on the official DVD of the event, must be a legal hell to be released.

On 4/2/2023 at 2:39 PM, Hybrider said:

It is the worst LP album ever made. I have no favorite song from there.

On 4/1/2023 at 4:26 PM, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

It is true. When OML came out, many hardcore fans didn't liked it, which was somewhat expected, but even outside LP fandom, many people simply though "Not interesting, that sound is outdated and corny". 

After July 2017 it became a musical masterpiece, a testament of Chester's last days and their lyrics a jigsaw puzzle about how he was committing suicide and leaving clues about it. 

38 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

It is true. When OML came out, many hardcore fans didn't liked it, which was somewhat expected, but even outside LP fandom, many people simply though "Not interesting, that sound is outdated and corny". 

After July 2017 it became a musical masterpiece, a testament of Chester's last days and their lyrics a jigsaw puzzle about how he was committing suicide and leaving clues about it. 

As a proof of that.. does anyone remember that Chester fight back in Twitter and Instagram against angry haters of OML? 

The incident at Hell fest was pretty sad too.

And the comments from Sean and Corey Taylor about Chester being angry and sad about the reaction.

I'm not a hypocrite and his death didn't change my opinion of that album I still like the title track and Nobody and that's it.

The live version of Sharp E was really cool too, the rest is trendy unauthentic crap.

4 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

Agreed fully. Speaking of Jay-Z, I don’t think there is any bad blood between him and the band, just seems they didn’t talk as much in the years after 2008 (when he joined the band for both Madison Square Garden and Milton Keynes).

Mike did a great interview with Sway in 2018 for Post Traumatic where Sway mentioned how the band worked with Jay-Z and asked if Mike still talked to him and Mike said not in a while but he’d love to hear from him or some shit like that. I’m too lazy to search for it but basically I think Mike and/or the band would definitely be willing to do something for Collision Course 20 this year. I mean it was a huge release. Band won a Grammy for Numb/Encore and even was planning a stadium tour in the U.S. for it in 2005 according to rumors. Not to mention it sold a ton and people still mention the EP to this day in the meme world and pop culture world with how rock and rap kids came together when Linkin Park and Jay-Z collaborated. So I think it’s definitely worth celebrating in some form, and maybe that’s why it was kept off Meteora 20 completely, aside from the fact of the legality issues of the band re-releasing it on their own.

Even in 2017, Jay-Z tributed Numb/Encore to Chester after he passed, there is even a proshot of it from BBC. But he also did it at shows that year and I think even in years after. So I think he also is still down with the band in some way. 

But back to your point, even if they don’t do anything for a re-release, that Roxy 2004 show, the band set before the Jay-Z songs coming out, would be epic. Hardcore fans have wanted this since 2004. That show insanely good sounding too. Band is in 10 out of 10 form, it’s basically a PR04 warm up set since it happened like a week before PR04 and Chester was sounded god like with his screaming and harsher vocals. Listen to how good he sings Lying From You and Faint at the Roxy show, insane. Plus a super intimate small venue for the band so far into their career at that point. So badass. And fans love the shit like you mentioned. The Smokeout stuff getting released reminded me of the old days being a fan back in the 2000’s when we were kids all talking about the band religiously and loving it. True sense of a brotherhood, or sisterhood, what have you. That’s the stuff that made the fanbase so great and great for the band having us be that way. I miss those times and re-releasing old shows is a perfect way to get them back. 

MFR 2005… wow talk about an epic show. Band sounded great IMO and Frgt/10 was insanely good. Love how Chester sang that chorus. Plus the Jay-Z portion was great too. I think they could for sure release it, they were able to release the DSP for Madison Square Garden in 2008 as well as Milton Keynes, even re-releasing it in 2016 on vinyl. MFR 2005 was LP’s benefit show, so it’s as much the band’s show as possible, almost like a Projekt Revolution tour which is 100% LP’s show. And didn’t Blink-182 not show up for that show, or did they? Can’t remember. I know Chester mentioned them during the set. But great show to release. I’d rather have Roxy 2004 re-released in full but MFR 2005 is epic too, why not both? Haha. I don’t think they’ll put the Grammy performance with Paul McCartney on their YouTube or anything but that would be nice to have officially released by the band in some way. By far the craziest moment of their career IMO, I mean you can’t get much legendary than winning a Grammy and then performing with fucking Paul McCartney of The Beatles AND Jay-Z who is now regarded as the best rapper of all time by many music publications. How many bands can say they did that? None. 

Collision Course is often overlooked by us hardcore fans and some of us don’t like it but personally I have always loved it, even got my DVD case copy of it signed by the whole band in 2007, and it definitely was pretty much its own ‘’era’’ IMO and definitely bigger than Reanimation which is epic but still. Late 2004-early 2006 (when the band won the Grammy and started seriously working hard on MTM with Rick at Korn) was definitely the ‘’Collision Course Era’’ to me. Just like how that period of shows in 2009 was definitely the ‘’New Divide Era’’ to me. 

Great post though. Love talking about this stuff and I believe making noise about stuff helps our chances of getting stuff released for sure. 

• 4 weeks later...

The last posts on this thread are rightfully somewhat negative/disenchanted about a possible LP8, but reading the progression of Mike wordings on the first post plus the big mainstream success of Lost (and M20) plus the chance of a Singles Collection coming this year... I don't know, I'm feeling kinda good about this for the first time in years. Like I'm not expecting anything this year or even next year necessarily, but I also don't think we will actually have a ten years gap. Mike saying that there isn't much off the table last year reads quite nice now, considering how much the band has been careful about managing expectations. 

• 2 months later...

However, when Mike - in the interview with Revolver a few days ago - mentions that news relating to the future of the Band will only be on LP.com, it makes me think. Added to the (perhaps) closing of a circle with Papercuts, the rumors, the new site - only to me does it seem configured for something new? - and the return to work between Mike and Brad (maybe the others too?) make me think of a return. I have the feeling that something will come out by the end of the year, as someone on these pages already said months ago. Ah: without forgetting what was said in the promotion of M|20 and that period, where for the first time in years a window opened. Now, perhaps, a very large door.

I have a strong feeling that the band will have something in the future, which is not related to album anniversaries. maybe in 2025, they will back to touring (without any new album, it's possible, just like SOAD)

4 hours ago, Stranger said:

I have a strong feeling that the band will have something in the future, which is not related to album anniversaries. maybe in 2025, they will back to touring (without any new album, it's possible, just like SOAD)

No album but EP would be plausible. Testing the waters with few new materials with Shinoda on vocals or sprinkled with BBB vocals too.

20 hours ago, Chazy987 said:

However, when Mike - in the interview with Revolver a few days ago - mentions that news relating to the future of the Band will only be on LP.com, it makes me think. Added to the (perhaps) closing of a circle with Papercuts, the rumors, the new site - only to me does it seem configured for something new? - and the return to work between Mike and Brad (maybe the others too?) make me think of a return. I have the feeling that something will come out by the end of the year, as someone on these pages already said months ago. Ah: without forgetting what was said in the promotion of M|20 and that period, where for the first time in years a window opened. Now, perhaps, a very large door.

This makes sense. If they are closing the CB chapter out and are ready to move on, this was a way to do it. If the female singer thing is true, they may be able to move in that direction this year (publicly).

2025/26 is the perfect window for LP's comeback.

27 we will have the MTM20.

Then again 28/29 the new material can come around until ATS20.

It's a back and forth between "old" and "new" LP.