"LP8" Thread

LPLStaff

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Somebodyangry said:

I can see LP being back but without Rob... kinda sad. He wasn't part of anything post the HB concert IIRC 

I can see this scenario happening, but I think he was part of HT20, wasn't he? There were a few comments from him in the HT20 book and he was present in the livestream as far as I remember.

1 hour ago, Somebodyangry said:

I can see LP being back but without Rob... kinda sad. He wasn't part of anything post the HB concert IIRC 

i will never undestand all the comments about Rob, people act like if he changed.

He's the most consistent guy in the band, he never liked being on the spotlight.

Well Rob's drumming is part of LP sound, isn't it? We've seen that with Friendly Fire live drums addition. He has specific feel and groove which fits into the music, does not overcomplicate things, but is precise and consistent, which is a really important feature considering their music catalogue

Rob has never been in the spotlight and has always been sort of "off the grid", that isn't new. He used to do more interviews, sure, but if the rest of the band is handling these right now then in his mind, why does he need to jump in?

It is weird, though, for the BIG releases like M20 to not have the entire band in one spot for the release.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:32 PM, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

The live version of Sharp E was really cool too, the rest is trendy unauthentic crap.

I REALLY, REALLY don't agree with the sentiment of OML being unauthentic crap. Trendy? Yeah. LP did that shit with the famed Hybrid Theory too. But unauthentic??? It was probably, lyrically, the MOST authentic they possibly could have been. Songs about their families and loved ones, worry over disappointing people, remembering and reflecting, that's a side of LP we almost never saw in such a capacity. Yeah, it was done under a poppier guise because that's what got traction and that's what they were listening to at the time. It was what THEY were interested in doing, so more power to 'em! It's probably the best pop stuff I give a damn to listen to. 

1 hour ago, SardonicallyParanoid said:

I REALLY, REALLY don't agree with the sentiment of OML being unauthentic crap. Trendy? Yeah. LP did that shit with the famed Hybrid Theory too. But unauthentic??? It was probably, lyrically, the MOST authentic they possibly could have been. Songs about their families and loved ones, worry over disappointing people, remembering and reflecting, that's a side of LP we almost never saw in such a capacity. Yeah, it was done under a poppier guise because that's what got traction and that's what they were listening to at the time. It was what THEY were interested in doing, so more power to 'em! It's probably the best pop stuff I give a damn to listen to. 

Friendly Fire blows THP out of the water lyrically. 

I personally don't have much an issue with lyrics on OML, it's rather about presentation and musical direction. THP was a metal record and turned out to be their least "commercially successful", so with OML they veered into generic pop sounds of that time with little to none "signature elements" of LP.

Pop trends change rapidly, probably the most out of any music genre, so OML already sounds dated.

Good thing that came out of OML is it actually introduced the band to a lot of pop fans, who then grew to like all of the bands' catalog, some of them listen now to many different genres including heavier music, thanks to being introduced to LP.

I would love to hear how Mike reflects on OML in the year 2024 (as well as on the transition they made from THP), sadly he never gets asked about that.

If there's ever LP8, I highly doubt they're going to rely on current trends so much or hire outside writers.

Edited by millytripleseven

9 hours ago, SardonicallyParanoid said:

Completely agree. By comparison, the stuff like Castle of Glass verses and ALITS intro sound so over-engineered and empty, like they're trying really hard to sound deep but don't have much to actually say. There are a few songs with great lyrics like UIG and Rebellion, but nothing from ATS-THP resonates as honestly and earnestly as OML to me. Invisible is so simple but so clear and approachable in its meaning, I think it's beautiful. Doesn't matter if other people chimed in to me, LP clearly heard a message there and the listener can clearly hear one too. 

If we are talking about lyrics, you can't deny OML >>>>>>> THP, like the latter has some good lyrics like Rebellion or FM, but the generic anti - something stuff a la RATM is ehhh

Edited by Somebodyangry

OML has some of the best lyrics they've ever produced. At the very least, the most authentic, in my eyes. Some people think otherwise because 'well, Chester doesn't have a lot of writing credits.' To that, I say... so? This isn't new. Mike has been writing the words Chester feels deep in his soul for literally their entire career. Breaking The Habit wasn't even a song FOR Chester, and he broke down trying to record the damn thing. This is a constant. 

People in general tend to think the lead vocalist of the band is always the primary lyricist as well when it's actually extremely common for vocalists to sing words written by a different member of the band.

Pretty sure that if HT had the lyrics from OML it would have been a flop.

I prefer an authentic vision from the guys who are actually singing and playing the instruments instead of a random team of people creating a vision for another band.

Edited by JZLP-NaughtyNottingham

20 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

I prefer an authentic vision from the guys who are actually singing and playing the instruments instead of a random team of people creating a vision for another band.

People literally make memes based on some HT lyrics... like, some of them are good but some others are kinda cringy or kinda generic... Like, to me OML (song) is a lot stronger than most of stuff on HT  lyrically. Invisible is a strong song about being a parent and HR is 100% Chester 

On 4/17/2024 at 2:43 PM, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

That's because those lyrics don't fit with the vibe of Hybrid Theory whatsoever. Hybrid Theory is a Teenage Angst album comparatively. Yes, it would flop, because while Hybrid Theory can be relatable in some ways, relatability isn't always authenticity. And that's not a bad thing! It's just the fact. OML is authentic and down to earth even if it isn't always relatable to you specifically. Or hey! Maybe it does and you just hate the sound. Who knows. Like I said, Mike's been writing the words for Chester for years. He was apart of the writing process with most if not all of the songs on OML too if I'm not mistaken. It's not necessarily different.

3 hours ago, SardonicallyParanoid said:

That's because those lyrics don't fit with the vibe of Hybrid Theory whatsoever. Hybrid Theory is a Teenage Angst album comparatively. Yes, it would flop, because while Hybrid Theory can be relatable in some ways, relatability isn't always authenticity. And that's not a bad thing! It's just the fact. OML is authentic and down to earth even if it isn't always relatable to you specifically. Or hey! Maybe it does and you just hate the sound. Who knows. Like I said, Mike's been writing the words for Chester for years. He was apart of the writing process with most if not all of the songs on OML too if I'm not mistaken. It's not necessarily different.

Chester only has writing credits on HR and Heavy off OML, yeah. Totally agree on lyrics fitting the vibe of the album sonically, imagine screaming and heavy riffs on OML (song) or a pop leaning NCSM-ish instrumental on Given Up, lol. HT and OML reflect sonically the vibe of their lyrics 

On 4/19/2024 at 12:15 PM, Somebodyangry said:

Chester only has writing credits on HR and Heavy off OML, yeah. Totally agree on lyrics fitting the vibe of the album sonically, imagine screaming and heavy riffs on OML (song) or a pop leaning NCSM-ish instrumental on Given Up, lol. HT and OML reflect sonically the vibe of their lyrics 

Never forget the popper stopper, lol.

1 hour ago, SardonicallyParanoid said:

I know it wouldn't fit AT ALL, but I still think it'd be a fun little thing to hear regardless.

I'd love that too, like, having the "put me out of my fucking miseryyyy" part sung in a pop style, à la Backstreet Boys 

i’m sure this has been said a lot recently but it feels like there’s something in the air for the future of the band. there has been a steady build of momentum since the release of Friendly Fire that i don’t remember seeing with the two anniversary projects. 

obviously the band is still active and has been trying to make things work post-2017, but with the release of Papercuts, it almost feels like they’re closing the door on that era of the band and moving towards the future. 

i don’t care what the genre is or if they add a new member, i am all aboard seeing what comes next, and hopefully we will see that soon. 

On 4/24/2024 at 1:26 PM, DCrecelius said:

i’m sure this has been said a lot recently but it feels like there’s something in the air for the future of the band. there has been a steady build of momentum since the release of Friendly Fire that i don’t remember seeing with the two anniversary projects. 

obviously the band is still active and has been trying to make things work post-2017, but with the release of Papercuts, it almost feels like they’re closing the door on that era of the band and moving towards the future. 

i don’t care what the genre is or if they add a new member, i am all aboard seeing what comes next, and hopefully we will see that soon. 

True 🙏