Amazon Music To Remaster Linkin Park In Ultra HD + 3D Audio

lpliveusername

From StreetInsider:

With Amazon Music HD, customers can already stream 5 million songs in Ultra HD (better than CD quality), with a bit depth of 24 bits and a sample rate up to 192 kHz. Customers can also stream more than 60 million lossless High Definition songs, with a bit depth of 16 bits and a sample rate of 44.1kHz (CD quality), and a growing catalog of 3D Audio. Now, Amazon Music is making the biggest catalog of Ultra HD music even bigger, revealing nuances that were once flattened in files compressed for digital streaming or CD manufacturing. All titles resulting from this Ultra HD music partnership will be delivered in 24 bit and 96 kHz or 192 kHz. Hundreds of albums including Kid Cudi’s Man On The Moon: The End of Day; Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged in New York; Waylon Jennings’ Don’t Think Twice; Diana Ross’ Diana & Marvin; B.B. King’s Lucille; Lady Gaga’s Joanne; Ariana Grande’s debut album, Yours Truly; 2 Chainz’ The Play Don’t Care who Makes It; J. Cole’s album KOD; and Bob Marley and the Wailers’ Natty Dread, have already been remastered and will soon be available to stream in Ultra HD.

They add:

In addition to Ultra HD remasters, select albums and songs will be remixed in 3D Audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and Sony 360RA. Listeners will be able to stream these 3D mixes when listening through Amazon Music HD on Amazon’s groundbreaking high-fidelity smart speaker, Echo Studio. When paired with an Echo Studio, customers will experience immersive audio, which brings listeners closer to their favorite artists and songs, allowing them to experience music the way artists intended. The world’s biggest recording artists are quickly adapting these immersive formats. Albums including Tom Petty’s upcoming Wildflowers & All the Rest; Eagles Live From The Forum MMXVIII; Linkin Park’s 20th anniversary edition of Hybrid Theory; the Ramones’ eponymous debut album; Lady Gaga’s Chromatica; Post Malone’s Hollywood is Bleeding; and Selena Gomez’ Rare, will soon be available to stream in 3D Audio.

17 minutes ago, djzap said:

"allowing them to experience music the way artists intended"

I'm sure none of these artists intended for the music to be heard in '3D', or even Surround Sound. They were all made for Stereo lol

Or mono for older music. lol

Does HT20 being released in 3D audio mean we will soon have separate channels for the LPU tracks and new demos like what we have for Reanimation?

Dolby does such impressive stuff in their theaters, I don't get how they also stoop to such lows for things like this (I mean I get that it's money, but still). 

Not only is it not how the artist intended, but it makes no sense to advertise technologies like that on a single speaker. I mean, all-channel stereo in high-end receivers from 5-10 years ago is gonna give you a more immersive sound, while still preserving some of the balance that the artist intended. This is just gimmicky, a corporate version of a "bass boosted" YouTube videos. People who enjoy this are the same people who play 5.1 tests on YouTube to try out their new systems and think it's amazing. 

4 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

Dolby does such impressive stuff in their theaters, I don't get how they also stoop to such lows for things like this (I mean I get that it's money, but still). 

Not only is it not how the artist intended, but it makes no sense to advertise technologies like that on a single speaker. I mean, all-channel stereo in high-end receivers from 5-10 years ago is gonna give you a more immersive sound, while still preserving some of the balance that the artist intended. This is just gimmicky, a corporate version of a "bass boosted" YouTube videos. People who enjoy this are the same people who play 5.1 tests on YouTube to try out their new systems and think it's amazing. 

Your Total right, but they will make a lot of money with this. 

Its like watching a movie from the 80s in 4k....

Edited by davg1992

26 minutes ago, davg1992 said:

Your Total right, but they will make a lot of money with this. 

Its like watching a movie from the 80s in 4k....

Bad comparison. If a movie was shot on film, that film most likely holds way more information than you could cover with a 1080p transfer. Transferring old film to 4k or even more actually makes a lot of sense. Here is an article that explains it way better than I ever could: https://www.howtogeek.com/199182/ask-htg-how-can-studios-release-high-definition-versions-of-decades-old-movies-and-tv-shows/

15 hours ago, Coizu said:

Bad comparison. If a movie was shot on film, that film most likely holds way more information than you could cover with a 1080p transfer. Transferring old film to 4k or even more actually makes a lot of sense. Here is an article that explains it way better than I ever could: https://www.howtogeek.com/199182/ask-htg-how-can-studios-release-high-definition-versions-of-decades-old-movies-and-tv-shows/

I think you don't understand what I mean. A remaster song in 24bit will never sound as good as a new recording in 24bit, just as a film upscaled to 1080p or higher will never look as good as a film recorded in hd.

24 minutes ago, davg1992 said:

I think you don't understand what I mean. A remaster song in 24bit will never sound as good as a new recording in 24bit, just as a film upscaled to 1080p or higher will never look as good as a film recorded in hd.

I got that. But comparing that to movies from the 80s in 4k is a bad comparison because those movies exist in 4k quality or even higher. 

19 hours ago, davg1992 said:

The comparison is bad because, while here they're reworking audio already recorded and limited by the masters quality, film is an analog format that for the most part has a lot more quality than original releases might have shown.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:19 PM, lpliveusername said:

Or mono for older music. lol

Does HT20 being released in 3D audio mean we will soon have separate channels for the LPU tracks and new demos like what we have for Reanimation?

i think so

1 hour ago, linkin_boss said:

The comparison is bad because, while here they're reworking audio already recorded and limited by the masters quality, film is an analog format that for the most part has a lot more quality than original releases might have shown.

https://support-uk.panasonic.eu/app/answers/detail/a_id/4375/~/what-is-the-difference-between-a-4k-upscaling-and-native-4k%3F

5 hours ago, davg1992 said:

I don't think you're understanding Coizu. Or maybe you were talking about upscaling different kinds of media. 

Your comparison is ok if you're talking about upscaling a 480p DV recording from 1999 to 4K, because yeah, you're not actually uncovering any new information, just "stretching" it so to speak. And sometimes it can look worse than the original if you don't know what your're doing. 

Coizu however is referring to the fact that a lot of actual big budget films were shot on 35mm film, and there is a lot of detail in that. You can actually rescan the film and it will look great, as if shot today. Check out the 4K remaster of The Matrix from 1999 - it looks like it was shot yesterday. And actually, it will probably always look better than Star Wars Episode III from 2006, which was shot on 1080p digital cameras (the 4K remaster is comparatively unimpressive imo). 

So with music, you could create a surround experience with the multitracks. Or you could stretch it and just fake it from the stereo mix. Assuming they're doing the latter and/or the band isn't involved, it's gonna be more like the 480p DV upscale. If they actually did it right, it would have potential like scanning original film reels does. 

Edited by YRQRM0

4 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

Coizu however is referring to the fact that a lot of actual big budget films were shot on 35mm film, and there is a lot of detail in that. You can actually rescan the film and it will look great, as if shot today. Check out the 4K remaster of The Matrix from 1999 - it looks like it was shot yesterday. And actually, it will probably always look better than Star Wars Episode III from 2006, which was shot on 1080p digital cameras (the 4K remaster is comparatively unimpressive imo). 

You're 100% with this. Thankfully the recent SW movies were shot on film and not digital like in 2 & 3 (1 was actually shot on film aswell).

48 minutes ago, MetalNacional said:

Careful, only Grey Daze stuff is allowed to be called cash grab I think.

👀

Thank God! We almost got through a whole discussion without anyone bringing up the Grey Daze drama, I was getting worried.

To respond, are we implying this is a cash grab... by Amazon Music? They're just doing something to try and get more subscribers away from Apple Music and Spotify. It sounds like a novelty thing, a gimmick. I'll stick with Apple.

I'm more curious about what lpliveusername asked. Does this mean we'll potentially be able to have separate channel rips of the songs in the way we have the Reanimation channel rips? If so, that's something cool to look forward to.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

I'm more curious about what lpliveusername asked. Does this mean we'll potentially be able to have separate channel rips of the songs in the way we have the Reanimation channel rips? If so, that's something cool to look forward to.

I think that depends on how Amazon is doing everthing. If they get the source material from the bands that is possible but if they make some magic interpolation "machine learning" whatever stuff with it (which I think is more likely), then probably not.

Even if there will be separate channel version of the tracks and even if someone will find a way to download that, the files will likely have DRM protection.

Just like in general almost every streaming platform.

Edited by martinez