Chester's voice

JZLP-NaughtyNottingham

I was watching KROQ 2003 last night, and OMG he used to give all that he had, his screaming voice was just insane, a hell of a voice! APFMH from that night its impressive

and then i was watching Portugal 2008 or 07 i dont remember well, and his screaming voice its just another one, sometimes he avoids the screaming part..

today Chester has lost the ''raspiness'' in his voice, his screaming has lost a lot of power, but his singing voice its a lot more beautiful

whats wrong with Chester?

a friend told me that he thinks that he's just holding back, he's just taking care of his voice

because when we see him with Camp Freddy he seems to give all that he has

and the raspiness on his voice, i dont think that it is lost, when he performed with Ashes Divide the cover of the Outsider he used that style of singing

so what's happening with Chester? he's just saving his voice? his energy is so weak so he cant do more than 20 songs in a night? or he's just getting old? OLD? no way Bruce Dickinson who is more than 50 still sounds like the same.

its called "time" and its makes a person "older".

combine that with smoking and drug abuse. Besides not everyone can hadle the same amount of stress on their body so you cant compare him to other singers.

or maybe he needs drugs to scream like a mother fucker!

i remember a kerrang interview (maybe it was not kerrang)

and he said that he was still on drugs in the time of the PR 04..

Good topic linkinjoze

I dont think it's about the age, what about corey taylor and other artist who are way older than chester and they sound the same... anyway i think he takes care too much of his voice due to touring a lot...well chester get back on drugs, rob get a haircut you look dumber everytime i see you, mr hahn do some excersice lol...

the best voice of chester was from summer sanitarium 2003 til Summer sonic 2006... 2007-08 voice was horrible and oh god PR08 was disgusting for chester. anyway MTM cycle sucked i hope this new cycle gets better

I think it is purely an age thing. He got older, and his voice cant hold out as well. plain and simple

its called "time" and its makes a person "older".

combine that with smoking and drug abuse. Besides not everyone can hadle the same amount of stress on their body so you cant compare him to other singers.

mostly i agree, but not with the smoking and drug thing. he has said that he dont do that shit no more.

or maybe he needs drugs to scream like a mother fucker!

i remember a kerrang interview (maybe it was not kerrang)

and he said that he was still on drugs in the time of the PR 04..

both of u listen to the '07 BBC One radio interview, he simply sais that he doesnt drink smoke or do drugs anymore...simple

• 3 months later...

As for the topic, it's age and smoking pretty simply.

Though that is sort of okay because the damage done by smoking to the lungs, assuming it isn't cancer or anything else serious, can heal itself after you quit. It's been proven, and as of this year Chester has quit smoking for over a year. So the lungs are just beginning to regenerate.

Edited by Xero21

Everybody's voice changes throughout their life. Chester was 24 when Hybrid Theory came out, and most guys' voices continue to change/settle throughout their 20s. Chester didn't sound the same in 2003 as he did in 2000, and he didn't sound the same in 2000 as he did with Grey Daze in the mid-90s either.

Show me a singer who's had a long career and not had their voice change at all, and I'll show you a freak of nature.

Good topic linkinjoze

I dont think it's about the age, what about corey taylor and other artist who are way older than chester and they sound the same... anyway i think he takes care too much of his voice due to touring a lot...well chester get back on drugs, rob get a haircut you look dumber everytime i see you, mr hahn do some excersice lol...

Corey Talor didnt always sound the same..if you check some early Stone Sour stuff he didnt sound like he does now

He wrote on Twitter that he's stopped to smoke about a year ago...so I don't know...

I think the concert where he has the more ''melodic'' voice is where I sang for the first time New divide...(I don't remember the name)

Everybody's voice changes throughout their life. Chester was 24 when Hybrid Theory came out, and most guys' voices continue to change/settle throughout their 20s. Chester didn't sound the same in 2003 as he did in 2000, and he didn't sound the same in 2000 as he did with Grey Daze in the mid-90s either.

Right...

I think, chester's voice stills being great...

I think it is obvious that his voice after 10 years his voice changed...

His melodic voices is much better than 10 years ago...

His screams have changed too but it's obvious that he also has to take care of your voice, have shows almost every day, the band have to take care in general...

i remembre once time chester saids that he used marijuana and that change the voice, change the screams i think...

Mike's voice also change

and mine too :lol: :lol:

is understandable that the voice of chester change ...

Slipnok vocalist corey sucks live, i think

Slipnok vocalist corey sucks live, i think

No, he sucked in 04/05. He does quite well now, shouts more than screams but still good :)

Chester is good in the main, a few songs he's off and one or two he sings instead of screams. These would be better if they were done how they used to, but if the voice changes he can't help it :blink:

I just want to make it clear that no amount of any drug is going to do permanent damage to your voice other than cigarettes. I don't consider pot a drug and it's smoke is much less harmful than cigarette smoke. Just FYI.

(Some :P) Drugs are bad but none of the health issues invloved with them have anything to do with your voice.

I just want to make it clear that no amount of any drug is going to do permanent damage to your voice other than cigarettes. I don't consider pot a drug and it's smoke is much less harmful than cigarette smoke. Just FYI.

(Some :P) Drugs are bad but none of the health issues invloved with them have anything to do with your voice.

Um, pot statistically has been proven to also have bad effects on your lungs just like cigarettes do. And drugs are all bad for you, not just some. I'm not saying that I'm even against drugs but they are indeed bad for you in some way. :rolleyes:

Um, pot statistically has been proven to also have bad effects on your lungs just like cigarettes do. And drugs are all bad for you, not just some. I'm not saying that I'm even against drugs but they are indeed bad for you in some way. :rolleyes:

Can I see these statistics you speak of? Just curious...

But yeah, any kind of smoke is not good for your lungs, marijuana included. But this isn't a marijuana discussion, so I'll leave that alone... I'm not quite sure why this started anyway.

Chester does hold back at some concerts though, just compare a couple of soundboards from 2007/8... On some he's screaming like crazy, and on others he barely screams at all. Who really knows. If he uses all of his energy one night, and there is an extended tour ahead, he might want to make sure he doesn't go all out since he'll be singing again the next night. A lead singer losing his voice is bad for business. That's my theory at least.

Oh and one last thing... I don't think illegal substances have anything to do with his voice changing.. Cigarettes can affect your voice and lung capacity greatly, but it varies from person to person, and if Chester did quit, he should sound better if different at all. Overall though, I think I'm just going to stick with the age hypothesis, lol.