Chester's voice

JZLP-NaughtyNottingham

What I wanna say maybe true I don't know:

Chester's voice change due to AGE. In Hybrid Theory 2000, he sounds like a maniac on stage with a bit of chorus. It's still very powerful.

In Meteora 2003, his voice changed again. Check the Live In Texas or The Roxy (with JayZ) He has 50% of his old voice. I loved it.

Before M2M is finished, 2006, QWERTY live rules.

After MTM is released, I was like... what in this world? Is this Chester's voice? He sounds weaker.

When I check the LPTV where he is singing for Inside of Me, I was wrong. He is still as strong as before.

I'm just babbling *sob*.

Edited by Square_Head

Is it only me?

Chester is using his raspy voice again with DBS!

Seems like he puts his 100% while performing with DBS...

he's only doing 12 songs right? short set = more energy in his voice

but with LP he shares vocals with Mike so...

I just want the old Chaaz back haha lol

I actually had a similar feeling when I heard Chester with DBS, especially when he played with LP on the same show. I just thought he was putting more into the DBS songs. But that would be understandable since these songs are still new and fresh to him, whereas he has sung the LP songs so many times before.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

you smoke now?

Are you referring to Chester smoking cigarettes? He said in a recent interview:

''Smoking seemed pointless after I gave up drinking and drugs. It didn't get me high and it was going to kill me. If I'm going to die, I'm not going to die smoking a fucking cigarette! If I'm going to die, I want to go out shitting my pants and ejaculating at the same time as my heart explodes.''

Kind of weird, but he says that he doesn't smoke at all anymore. I know he did during the MTM recording processes and what not, I think he quit in 2007 or so.

Are you referring to Chester smoking cigarettes? He said in a recent interview:

''Smoking seemed pointless after I gave up drinking and drugs. It didn't get me high and it was going to kill me. If I'm going to die, I'm not going to die smoking a fucking cigarette! If I'm going to die, I want to go out shitting my pants and ejaculating at the same time as my heart explodes.''

Kind of weird, but he says that he doesn't smoke at all anymore. I know he did during the MTM recording processes and what not, I think he quit in 2007 or so.

Something like that. When he first got a Twitter he said he'd quit cigarettes a year/year and a half before.

• 4 months later...

or maybe he needs drugs to scream like a mother fucker!

i remember a kerrang interview (maybe it was not kerrang)

and he said that he was still on drugs in the time of the PR 04..

I've read that Chester damaged ( scratched ) his phonetics hords in the past because

he used to be addicted to cocaine ( and also Crystal Meth ), and one day when he went to the hospital the doctors said that he had damaged his voice. And it may be coincidence, but I notice that from 2004 till today his voice becomes softer and softer . . . . . This could be what makes the difference. . . .. I don't mean that we should start taking drugs in any way, in addition chester is blessed with this voice

As for the topic, it's age and smoking pretty simply.

Though that is sort of okay because the damage done by smoking to the lungs, assuming it isn't cancer or anything else serious, can heal itself after you quit. It's been proven, and as of this year Chester has quit smoking for over a year. So the lungs are just beginning to regenerate.

Why people smoke, I don't get it, you pay to buy what ??? Cancer ???? And hear it is, Chester paid to lose his voice

Uhh.. wrong. (I don't usually post, but I had to for this one.. :P )

Chester's voice did not change... I don't understand why people don't get it.

Before 2004 he used a different technique, his voice is the exact same.

Ex. Numb

-Listen to LIT 2003. The verse was sung in his regular 'voice' and the chorus he uses this throaty technique that Don Gilmore mentioned in an interview - he would sing with 3 pitches, in turn, making it sound 'raspy', but Chester never had a raspy voice. When he did, the 3 pitches together is basically like 'screaming underneath with a pitch on top'.

-In RTR 2008, the verse is the same (except not as youthful, but THAT'S age) but the chorus was sung in his regular voice, not with the throaty technique.

I agree that he lost some of his power in his screams and his voice doesn't sound as strong, but the loss of the 'raspy voice' that was never there isn't true. He just never had a raspy voice.

In 2001, his 'raspy' voice sounded different because he didn't master that technique yet (it's also really stressful on the voice so that's probably why he stopped).

Uhh.. wrong. (I don't usually post, but I had to for this one.. :P )

Chester's voice did not change... I don't understand why people don't get it.

Before 2004 he used a different technique, his voice is the exact same.

Ex. Numb

-Listen to LIT 2003. The verse was sung in his regular 'voice' and the chorus he uses this throaty technique that Don Gilmore mentioned in an interview - he would sing with 3 pitches, in turn, making it sound 'raspy', but Chester never had a raspy voice. When he did, the 3 pitches together is basically like 'screaming underneath with a pitch on top'.

-In RTR 2008, the verse is the same (except not as youthful, but THAT'S age) but the chorus was sung in his regular voice, not with the throaty technique.

I agree that he lost some of his power in his screams and his voice doesn't sound as strong, but the loss of the 'raspy voice' that was never there isn't true. He just never had a raspy voice.

In 2001, his 'raspy' voice sounded different because he didn't master that technique yet (it's also really stressful on the voice so that's probably why he stopped).

i stopped reading when you said listen to LIT. worst thing to bring in as an example as the band went into the studio to rework some of the vocals and instruments.

i stopped reading when you said listen to LIT. worst thing to bring in as an example as the band went into the studio to rework some of the vocals and instruments.

I know that it's heavily edited, it was just easy to use LIT as an example since most people have heard it.

You can use pretty much any performance in '03 and prior to that... He uses that technique during a lot of songs... if you're so picky about editing, any audience recording from that time period (that was the key point) would do. <_<

If you're screaming your balls off at every concert, you're definitely not going to be singing the same after 10 years.

Not entirely true, it really depends how you take care of yourself, for example Jonathan Davis still kicks total ass at every Korn show, yeah obviously the age part is true and they aren't AS good, but when you take at JD's vocal changes over the years and someone like Chester or David Dramian from Disturbed (who REALLY fucked up his voice worse than chester), the difference is VERY drastic.

Not entirely true, it really depends how you take care of yourself, for example Jonathan Davis still kicks total ass at every Korn show, yeah obviously the age part is true and they aren't AS good, but when you take at JD's vocal changes over the years and someone like Chester or David Dramian from Disturbed (who REALLY fucked up his voice worse than chester), the difference is VERY drastic.

If by ass kicking you mean sucking, I agree.

I think Chester's voice is better than before. Just listen to No More Sorrow from Graz 2009. His voice is so powerful there. Gotta admit that the older songs used to be better in the HT and Meteora days but hes still got an amazing voice

I think his voice has gotten a lot more mature and stronger, actually. Vocally, I think Minutes To Midnight and the vocals from The Catalyst are stronger than anything in the older days. It's a lot harder to sing than to scream. Screaming is easy as fuck, it comes very easy to me and I'm not a vocalist. I can sound like any metal singer if I try. But singing is very hard. Listen to Given Up's chorus, or New Divide's chorus. Really high notes. And The Catalyst has the same style of vocals.

I think his voice has gotten a lot more mature and stronger, actually. Vocally, I think Minutes To Midnight and the vocals from The Catalyst are stronger than anything in the older days. It's a lot harder to sing than to scream. Screaming is easy as fuck, it comes very easy to me and I'm not a vocalist. I can sound like any metal singer if I try. But singing is very hard. Listen to Given Up's chorus, or New Divide's chorus. Really high notes. And The Catalyst has the same style of vocals.

That's what I'm thinking, look at all the Christian Bands that are reverting to Nothing but Screamo :lol: