Mike Q&A Summary 5/14/2020

LPLStaff

Here we go with Mike's Q&A highlights from May 14th! We are just highlighting his musical / Linkin Park / interesting answers... he always answers some random stuff.

- "Share some info about the track on the Dust Brothers album." -> "We didn't really... we started something and then we sent it to them. And then they got really nasty about it, to be honest, back in the day. And then they were not cool about it. So we had a bit of a falling out. But they did work on "With You" and that was cool. They did a great job on that."

- "Did you expect Recharged to be as popular as Reanimation? And what about the Meteora remixes?" -> "No, I don't have expectations of that. Reanimation was remixing Hybrid Theory so I don't think anybody expected another remix album to be as popular as that. And I don't know if we expected Reanimation to be as popular as it was, so there's that."

- "What's your initial reactions to like old demos and stuff surfacing?" -> "Like most people, you can't stop stuff that's out in the world from being out in the world. So, it doesn't bother me. It didn't even occur to me that it was like, an issue or whatever. It's just out there. And there's stuff you guys haven't heard, you know. I don't know what it is, but it exists. It certainly exists in here (my computer."

- "Could we get instrumentals and acapellas for albums on Spotify?" -> "Some of them are out there. I don't know which ones aren't."

- "Who played the guitar solo on The Last Line from The Mall soundtrack?" -> "The guitar solo? I don't remember. If it's a shreddy solo, it was Brad. If it wasn't, it was either Brad or me. It's unlikely it was anyone else in the band. That's my guess."

- "Who makes LP's on stage keyboard and DJ stands?" -> "My setup has changed a lot over the years. Our stands and whatever have changed over the years. Lately it's been just basics, stuff you can find online that are available to whoever. The keyboard itself... for years I used a Nord. This one's a stage two. But yeah I was using Open Labs one for a while. It ran on PC and carrying around a PC-based keyboard... it was just getting beat up a lot. It felt like it was having a lot of problems. Knock on wood, the Nord has not crashed on me because of software bugs or whatever. In terms of the Post Traumatic stuff, I was using a Mac with Ableton and Native Instruments stuff on it in addition to the Nord. So like the Nord is controlling... I programmed all of this stuff inside Albeton to switch between sounds coming out of the keyboard itself and sounds coming out of the computer, so it was controlling the computer. And other times it was doing both. And other times it was adding the sample pads. It was a fun project. Get into that though, there's a setting up here, if you do use Albeton, there's a setting in the top right corner that says Midi. If you press that, all of these things turn blue or purple and you click on any of those and you push a button or key, and it will map that button to that key."

Someone needs to ask him about the 17 MTM tracks since it’s the anniversary. We could finally know what they were! We know all but the 17th one. So if we ask him we would say the 12 album songs, NRL, ATL, WWDK, Blackbirds and the last one. We have guesses but never knew for sure. I feel like he would answer it!

2 hours ago, lpfan2843 said:

Someone needs to ask him about the 17 MTM tracks since it’s the anniversary. We could finally know what they were! We know all but the 17th one. So if we ask him we would say the 12 album songs, NRL, ATL, WWDK, Blackbirds and the last one. We have guesses but never knew for sure. I feel like he would answer it!

I guarantee you if you asked Mike to say the 12 album songs of MTM, he would need to look them up somehow. There's no way he would just be able to rattle off all the songs that specifically made the standard edition of the album, and then he would probably say something like "17? Where did you get that number? That's weird. I don't know that we had 17 tracks ready to go specifically but... For that album we did like 150 demos. So... yeah I don't know" and then move on lol

5 hours ago, Justin said:

I guarantee you if you asked Mike to say the 12 album songs of MTM, he would need to look them up somehow. There's no way he would just be able to rattle off all the songs that specifically made the standard edition of the album, and then he would probably say something like "17? Where did you get that number? That's weird. I don't know that we had 17 tracks ready to go specifically but... For that album we did like 150 demos. So... yeah I don't know" and then move on lol

100% Mike 😂 it would be a waste of the question. 

3 hours ago, xeroboi said:

He basically said we are getting more demos 

I spent all my ShinodaBucks to ask him about the Xero Demos and if he plans to release more Xero content, i just hope it answers it soon  

1 hour ago, X3RO said:

I spent all my ShinodaBucks to ask him about the Xero Demos and if he plans to release more Xero content, i just hope it answers it soon  

What? Did you not see that LP is releasing a HT20 release? Keep your Shinodabucks, the answer is in the HT thread already. 

- "Did you expect Recharged to be as popular as Reanimation? And what about the Meteora remixes?" -> "No, I don't have expectations of that. Reanimation was remixing Hybrid Theory so I don't think anybody expected another remix album to be as popular as that. And I don't know if we expected Reanimation to be as popular as it was, so there's that."

I'll reply with what I said on the shoutbox, I expected to get an answer about Recharged, not Reanimation. You do stuff based on things, you add another show when the 1st date has been sold out etc. thus they did Recharged based on impulse of some sort, maybe this was just an online project with remixes (this I can understand) but there was that one time where they probably (or Warner, nothing new here lol) thought hey, let's make an album of these and voila.

After Reanimation I told many people I would never put together another album of remixes…but as I began to hear all the amazing reinterpretations of LIVING THINGS, I had to change my mind. The result, RECHARGED, is definitely worth it. I can’t wait for you guys to hear this amazing project, with contributions by Pusha T, DATSIK, KillSonik, Bun B, Money Mark, and others. Our new song with Steve Aoki, A LIGHT THAT NEVER COMES is on the album as well, plus a special remix of the new song by the inimitable Rick Rubin.

Enjoy the music,

- Mike

This confirms things, but imho online releases would be enough. I think LT isn't an album that should have remixes officially released as an album but that's just my opinion. Would really like to get a real answer why Mike is so "NO NO" about any other remixes, especially Meteora. IS it his holy grail of albums that shouldn't be touched? (And since he confirmed on what's quoted that he said "never" and then changed his mind, I bet reinterpreted/remixed Meteora would get more attention than Recharged)

13 hours ago, lpfan2843 said:

I can ask this one today :)

Edited by michalangelo

On 5/15/2020 at 6:46 AM, Hahninator said:

What? Did you not see that LP is releasing a HT20 release? Keep your Shinodabucks, the answer is in the HT thread already. 

Shucks, well I guess I'm out 400 Shinodabucks, but the question was more towards Wakefield 

On 5/15/2020 at 9:07 AM, michalangelo said:

This confirms things, but imho online releases would be enough. I think LT isn't an album that should have remixes officially released as an album but that's just my opinion. Would really like to get a real answer why Mike is so "NO NO" about any other remixes, especially Meteora. IS it his holy grail of albums that shouldn't be touched? (And since he confirmed on what's quoted that he said "never" and then changed his mind, I bet reinterpreted/remixed Meteora would get more attention than Recharged)

I'm sure pretty sure that Mike don't rememeber any Meteora remixes (if they exist) after like 18 years, we know him. But is weird that he totally took the Meteora remixes out of the answer and didn't mention anything.

The whole never do another remix album thing is pretty obvious imo, Mike had a big role in 90% of the Reanimation songs, i don't think he want to spend all that time again just for a remix album so in Recharged they just send the multitracks to some big name producers in the EDM scene and call it a day (Which explain why is that bad)

How much shinodabucks is a question?

9 hours ago, Diaux said:

I'm sure pretty sure that Mike don't rememeber any Meteora remixes (if they exist) after like 18 years, we know him. But is weird that he totally took the Meteora remixes out of the answer and didn't mention anything.

The whole never do another remix album thing is pretty obvious imo, Mike had a big role in 90% of the Reanimation songs, i don't think he want to spend all that time again just for a remix album so in Recharged they just send the multitracks to some big name producers in the EDM scene and call it a day (Which explain why is that bad)

How much shinodabucks is a question?

400 😐

6 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

Mike has already answered about Meteora remixes in an earlier stream. He said he doesn't remember them at all but would keep an eye out for them when going through his files.

I know he answered but I didn't get a proper answer to any part of my question. I added Meteora just to, you know, see what happens this time. I  believe if people will ask about them here and then he just might take a minute and find an answer if there is anything (band members either trolled or said the truth) and if not, why, because imho there was a big potential on some songs to be remixed (remember Phoenix in LPTV? He "remixed" Numb)