Mike Releases New Song 'About You' (ft. blackbear)

RogueSoul

Mike's very first performances under his new solo project are drawing ever closer, and he's backkeep the hype levels up. Mike's new song 'About You' featuring blackbear is now out! The music video was shot in China on Mike's recent trip, a location where he is planning on announcing at least one upcoming solo show.

Mike teased part of 'About You' at the end of an Instagram stream last week, which you can watch and listen to the stream below. The song has appeared on Apple Music and reveals that it features producer blackbear (who helped produce 'Sorry For Now' from One More Light) and that it is 3:26 minutes long. Mike has confirmed previously that there will be a few more collaborations on the album, with this one being the first. It'll be exciting to see who else is featured on the record!

Zane Lowe premiered it on his Beats 1 Radio show on Apple Music at 9am PST / 12pm EST (countdown and timezone conversions here). With 'About You,' that puts us at 6 pre-release tracks before the album (the 3 Post Traumatic EP songs, 'Crossing The Line,' and 'Nothing Makes Sense Anymore,' of course, being the others) is out. We still have 10 songs (double-digits!) we haven't heard yet - one or two might get released next month as the final songs before the record drops in June, and perhaps Mike will play some unheard ones live - in an interview with ET Canada, he said he's going all in with the set.

Mike's album Post Traumatic is out on June 15 - make sure you pre-order it if you haven't already. Additionally, his very first shows are coming up very soon! He's pulling double duty on May 12 with both of his debut performances, the first being in the afternoon for KROQ's Weenie Roast (which will be livestreamed!) before headlining Identity LA later in the evening. Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for all the latest updates (and if you can, support us with a donation so we can bring a bunch of awesome things to you in the future)!

Check out the rest of Mike's touring schedule here.

What do you think about the song?

I bet Machine Gun Kelly will be featured on the album. He was seen in the studio with Mike last fall some time, when a lot of these songs were worked on. He is also good friends with Mike and he loved Chester, paying tribute to him many times. I like blackbear a lot, surprisingly. I don't love the pop genre but he is the best at it, IMO. I wish he sang that chorus but Astat revealed it was Mike singing it. Hope he actually provides vocals on the track and the ''featuring'' isn't just him as a producer of the track, etc.

Edited by Geki

Eh. The song isn't my favorite. It's not terrible. Definitely wasn't worth the hype or wait for it, IMO. Kind of was let down by blackbear's feature. I originally was hoping he would do a chorus. His verse is OK, but still, a little disappointed. It's not a bad song, just not the style of music that I like. I like Sorry For Now a lot better.

The fact that Mike has taken to using the phrase "all the sudden" lately is REALLY fucking disappointing to me.

*Edit* Why do quotation marks disappear after they're posted?

*Edit 2* Apostrophes too. What the fuck?

*Edit 3* Only happens when posting from my phone. Huh.

Edited by Astat

The fact that Mike has taken to using the phrase all the sudden lately is REALLY fucking disappointing to me.

*Edit* Why do quotation marks disappear after theyre posted?

*Edit 2* Apostrophes too. What the fuck?

Lol. Something to do with accessing LPL on mobile. That happens to me every time I post from my phone.

Lol. Something to do with accessing LPL on mobile. That happens to me every time I post from my phone.

Same. Noticed that as well. I always go back and edit the mistakes out though when I get to my computer, usually.

This is very easily my least favorite of the 6. I think the hook is pretty poor and Blackbear's verse is just awful. Mike's verses really save this track

I think Blackbear's part is the only good thing about the track, actually. Save for the clever AC/DC and Raiders references, Mike's verses largely sound like a bunch of uninspired and/or recycled bits and pieces that he just slapped together. Hell, he even reuses the "puke my fucking guts out" line from Over Again.

I think Blackbear's part is the only good thing about the track, actually. Save for the clever AC/DC and Raiders references, Mike's verses largely sound like a bunch of uninspired and/or recycled bits and pieces that he just slapped together. Hell, he even reuses the "puke my fucking guts out" line from Over Again.

I think he actually said he had 2 verses and he just threw them in together. He said it adds to the varying moods of the song. He basically tried to spin it into a cool, experimental thing. Mike is good at creating hype, I have to admit. :P

Am I the only one who would like to hear some singing from Mike. Something like Devils Drop would be nice.

Well he’s sang on some stuff so far. And I’m sure the rest of the album will have some other songs in which he sings. Over Again and Watching As I Fall do have some singing, too. About You is the only straight forward trap/rap track we got so far, IMO. The others are kind of all over.

I saw someone say this song is like Until It Breaks Part 2 because that song had like 4 song ideas mashed into one. I guess they were kind of right. Lol.

Technically, yeah. Honestly though, in my opinion, UIB is far superior to About You both lyrically and in terms of ambition.

Edited by Justin

Am I the only one who would like to hear some singing from Mike. Something like Devils Drop would be nice.

Mike has sung on every song released so far from his album. 3 of the 6 released songs are all singing. One could argue that Watching As I Fall is also all singing, but whatever.

Damn, I honestly love this a lot, There are only a few blackbear songs I actually like (idfc [acoustic] & any of his mansionz stuff]

And I don't really dig his performance in this a whole lot. But aside from that, the song is solid.

I am actually pretty shocked at the reception for the track; this is easily my favourite song from Post Traumatic so far! The production is ridiculous in all the best ways, blackbear's verse is very dark R&B which I'm very into, and that outro - LAWDY ME! It was actually pretty sick that Zane Lowe had it looped quietly in the background during the interview.

I don't know why everyone's hitting at the lyrics either. The first two lines seem out of place to the rest of the song but the rest is fluid and hard hitting in my opinion.

The fact that Mike has taken to using the phrase "all the sudden" lately is REALLY fucking disappointing to me.

He's actually just saying "of a" really quickly. He even annotated the lyrics on Genius and it says "all of a sudden".

EDIT: I take this back. After listening to Mike say it in the verse, it's definitely "the" + it says "the" in the YouTube description. I wish you hadn't brought this up, it's gonna bug me now too haha.

I like the song. He is able to do so many different styles of music, this is almost like a trap sound or something. It isn't my favorite but it's cool to see the variety.

The topic of the song is pretty depressing.

This. I feel pretty sorry for Mike that he's now in this situation where Chester's passing is inescapable. I really hope that he doesn't get mentally swamped by all the interviews asking about Chester & Linkin Park, and having to perform the songs on tour. He's created a mourning cycle that he can't escape until the album cycle is over, and if he didn't fully take that into account diving in to this, it could be pretty mentally and emotionally exhausting. Look after yrself Dad.

Edited by ToddWilliamson