Unreleased Massive Attack Linkin Park Remix

hahninator

UK musician James Lavelle posts mixes on MixCloud and Spotify entitled "Living In My Headphones", and on February 21st debuted an unreleased Linkin Park remix of the Massive Attack song entitled "Butterfly Caught."

This song was released in 2003 on the album 100th Window. This is news to us, as we've never heard of Linkin Park (or most likely Mike) remixing this song. We have a detailed list of known collaborations on Linkinpedia. The song could have been remixed any time in the last 14~ years, so we are really clueless on a possible date.

Here is the original version of the song:

The remix can be heard around the 30-33 minute mark on MixCloud. James doesn't offer any more information besides that it is unreleased and he's finally playing the remix "after all these years" which means it was possibly done in the years following its release.
For fun, we ripped the audio since MixCloud is not easy to scroll backwards and forwards on, and you can download it here:

Download mp3 (.zip)
Thanks to Dmitry from LP Community for sending this our way!

It's very Meteora-ish and also reminded me of Enjoy the Silence's remix, probably between 2004-2006. Not the biggest MA fan but it's always cool to hear these unreleased tracks.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

Would like to know exactly what year this is from. Thanks for sharing. Sounds cool. Sounds Meteora-ish but also early Minutes To Midnight-ish at the same time. Probably from 2004 or 2005, like Enjoy the Silence's remix by Mike.

I think the remix might have been created around 2003. There's a remix album for 100th Window released in 2006 but it's basically a compilation of remixes from singles. The Butterfly Caught single was released in 2003 and features a huge amount of remixes of the song. Maybe Mike was one of the artists who remixed it back then but they decided not to release it because they didn't think it was that good and they already had enough remixes.

I think the remix might have been created around 2003. There's a remix album for 100th Window released in 2006 but it's basically a compilation of remixes from singles. The Butterfly Caught single was released in 2003 and features a huge amount of remixes of the song. Maybe Mike was one of the artists who remixed it back then but they decided not to release it because they didn't think it was that good and they already had enough remixes.

You're probably right with this.

"Here lemme play this mix for you, but I'm gonna drop stupid samples and talk over 75% of it."

I can't even begin to describe how much I loathe these kind of Internet radio DJ's.

Edited by Astat

"Here lemme play this mix for you, but I'm gonna drop stupid samples and talk over 75% of it."

I can't even begin to describe how much I loathe these kind of Internet radio DJ's.

Exactly how I feel

After few times listening to this remix, I found out that the beat/glitch/instrumental part quite identically/same like Fort Minor's "Strange Thing".

So is this remix from 2005 then? Has anyone asked Mike about what year he made this?

So is this remix from 2005 then? Has anyone asked Mike about what year he made this?

Mike about Strange Things: "This was the first Fort Minor song."

Not sure the exact year for the song but if Mike said it's the first Fort Minor song, most probably he used the demos/seeds from the unreleased remix of Butterfly Caught.

Not sure the exact year for the song but if Mike said it's the first Fort Minor song, most probably he used the demos/seeds from the unreleased remix of Butterfly Caught.

Cool find.

The song was recorded in 2005 and released in 2006. Which places the remix possibly between 2003 and 2005.

The song was recorded in 2005 and released in 2006. Which places the remix possibly between 2003 and 2005.

Yeah, pretty interesting. Enjoy the Silence was remixed in 2004, right? I know Mike basically started working on the early FM stuff in very early 2005. Either way, it's a cool remix, just wish it didn't have all the talking over it. But I'd like to see Mike comment on this remix.

I think 2005 is probably when this remix is from. When I said it reminded of Meteora/early MTM, it sounded a lot like stuff like Basquiat, Universe, etc. At least to me. It had that vibe. Which those are from the FM sessions and Mike never made songs out of them for FM. So that tells me 2005. It's badass. And now with this realization from Stranger about the song Strange Things, it makes sense to me.

Edited by Geki

I would seem fit all 3 of these years for different reasons.

2003:

The single release of the song included many remixes, Mike's could have been one that didn't make it in the cut.

2004:

It indeed sound very Meteor-ish plus Enjoy The Silence 04 was released that year as well.

2005:

It's more luckily he used a sample for Strange Things he had been working with at that time rather than 2yo before.

Edited by SerioDrew

Strange Things is earlier than 2005, possibly as early as 2003. It was recorded in LP's tour bus studio during the Meteora tour.

• 5 months later...

is this track really Linkin Park remix or Mike shinoda remix? either way i just listened to the song on youtube and its good. but i wish the talking of the Dj was removed

"Linkin Park (or most likely Mike)"

Probably Mike and it was just listed as a "Linkin Park Remix".

"Linkin Park (or most likely Mike)"

Probably Mike and it was just listed as a "Linkin Park Remix".

i was wondering because i have some remixes that say Mike shinoda. L.O.A.T.R. remix, what ive done from LPU X with Mike shinoda remix. And i know Mike did other remixes like the Depache Mode one. It has reminded me of those