Mike Shinoda at Summer Sonic Japan

RogueSoul

You heard it right, friends! Due to the overwhelming and amazing response to Mike Shinoda's Post Traumatic EP, he's taking the new songs to the road! That's right - Mike Shinoda's going on tour!

Mike will be beginning the project's live story in Japan (fitting, considering his heritage AND the cancelled Japan shows in November) at this year's Summer Sonic festival in Tokyo and Osaka.

EDIT 2/28: The dates Mike is playing on are confirmed!

August 18 - Maishima Sonic Park, Osaka, Japan

August 19 - Zozomarine Stadium / Makuhari Messe, Tokyo, Japan

It's unknown if it's going to be the same one-man band format he did back in 2015 or if he'll bring in some help, nor is it known what he'll be playing. Obviously we'll be hearing the material from Post Traumatic (get hyped for 'Over Again' live), but that obviously isn't enough to fill an entire setlist - unless, of course, Mike pulls some crazy mashup insanity which, at this point, isn't an impossibility. What we're expecting is a nice mix of Linkin Park, Fort Minor, and of course the Post Traumatic material similar to the 2015 shows.

Who's excited? Hopefully this is just the start, and Mike will eventually tour in other parts of the world. What songs do you want to see him play? Prime time for a 'Sorry For Now' debut, and perhaps even 'No Roads Left' if he's up for it. There's an entire world of possibility out there for him to bring out. Most of all, we're sure it's going to be a big step for him to return to the stage for the first time since October's Hollywood Bowl show. These shows are going to be as important as they will be fun - and hopefully we'll see you out there.

For setlist updates and all news on Linkin Park's upcoming projects, be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

Check out Mike's full touring schedule on the Mike Shinoda section of the live guide.

Wonder what Mike will do for a set. He might have a shorter set time than he had with the ''Fort Minor'' stuff back in 2015. There is a lot of material he could choose from. The 3 new songs, plus he probably will release more new ones this year, before the August shows. He also has a lot of LP and FM material to choose from, as well as other random features he has done with other artists. I always used to say that Japan was hella lucky because they got that epic tour in 2006, and it looks like they are lucky once again.

I'll bank on it being a Fort Minor set under the Mike Shinoda moniker.

Hate to say it but that's what he should have done in 2015. ''Fort Minor'' to me was always Mike and S.O.B., even though they weren't featured on every track. I saw Fort Minor play in Boston in early 2006 and that image of the group always just stuck with me. He also could have avoided drama that he got by simply just doing Mike Shinoda. But Fort Minor is/was his solo project, so he does have every right to do whatever he wants with the name, but yeah. If he had released the Post Traumatic EP under the moniker Fort Minor, I wouldn't have thought anything, since Welcome sounds just like that stuff.

I have a very strong feeling that we'll be getting more solo music from Mike between now and when these shows take place.

This. Otherwise it probably would have been a Fort Minor show. Hopefully we will get recordings for these too.

But Fort Minor is/was his solo project, so he does have every right to do whatever he wants with the name, but yeah. If he had released the Post Traumatic EP under the moniker Fort Minor, I wouldn't have thought anything, since Welcome sounds just like that stuff.

FM it's a hip hop project.. under Mike Shinoda it's just a different vibe... his real style is The Mall-Post Traumatic and his remixes (See Metric's Gold Gun Girls)

First and foremorst, I am thrilled to see him perform. Maybe it is kind of a test for him to already try all kind of songs (Rock, Pop, Rap etc.) in front a foreign audience.

In addition, how many minutes do you think he will play? He is quite at the top of the bill so I guess he gets about 45 - 60 minutes of total playtime?

Never been to Osaka but Tokyo is my favourite place on the planet. Went there in 2016 and going again in just under 2 months. Hit me up if you need some travelling tips! :)

Thanks, I bought tickets for all 3 November shows last year. I still went to Tokyo for a week during that period.

Have been to Osaka and Tokyo twice each :)

Thoughts on why I think Mike is performing these shows under his own name instead of Fort Minor:

Playing solo shows under the Fort Minor moniker already got sort of convoluted in terms of "what exactly IS Fort Minor at this point," and adding Post Traumatic (and any other music Mike may come out with in the near future) would only make it worse.

In terms of studio output, it's different. Fort Minor is Mike's hip-hop solo project. It has a general stylistic thing going on, and Welcome made sense as a Fort Minor track. Mike can ultimately release anything he wants under the Fort Minor moniker though.

The problem with live shows, particularly with Mike doing them as a solo artist, is he has to pull music from a lot of different sources to fill out a set (he has to shorten and/or heavily alter songs to work around the absence of all of the guests from The Rising Tied and We Major, and there are some songs that just don't make a lot of sense for him to play by himself). With the "comeback" shows, there were Fort Minor songs, there were Linkin Park songs, and there were songs like It's Goin' Down and Devil's Drop that were from other projects entirely. With Mike now having solo output legitimately released under his regular name that will presumably become part of the live show...at what point is it really still "Fort Minor?"

When I go back and watch those few solo Fort Minor shows, I get a completely different vibe from watching Fort Minor shows from 2005-2006. I think the only reason Mike even went out under the Fort MInor name at that point was because he had just released a single under the Fort MInor name, but effectively, those were Mike Shinoda solo performances just like these upcoming shows will be.

When I go back and watch those few solo Fort Minor shows, I get a completely different vibe from watching Fort Minor shows from 2005-2006. I think the only reason Mike even went out under the Fort MInor name at that point was because he had just released a single under the Fort MInor name, but effectively, those were Mike Shinoda solo performances just like these upcoming shows will be.

Couldn't agree more.

Thoughts on why I think Mike is performing these shows under his own name instead of Fort Minor:

Two reasons:

1) ''Mike Shinoda'' feels way more personal this time

2) From a commercial side... I believe that more people know who Mike Shinoda is instead of who the fuck Fort Minor is... the MS brand is way bigger than FM.

Agreed with your post Astat and wanted to add on to that comment you made about Fort Minor being stylistically a hip hop project... this MS solo project can mean literally any genre. The first song was from the OML sessions, the second song is hip hop, the third song sounds like it could be LP. Aka he has opened the door to make music all over the spectrum here. He can have a song like It's Goin' Down and a song like Devil's Drop on the same release (using the examples you mentioned above).

In terms of a live set, I think we will see a similar thing to what we saw with Mike in 2015 in terms of how it is done. Mike is by himself on the stage with no additional musicians.

Hope he plays Enth E Nd again, but I can understand if not.

There aint no Fort Minor without Ryu and Tak. Hate to say it. Mike should have released Welcome under Mike Shinoda and toured in 2015 under Mike Shinoda, too.

Also, was Devils Drop the only Linkin Park song he did in that set? Cuz Devils Drop was Warm Spell, a song from Living Things.

Edited by Geki