One More Light Debuts at #1 On The Charts

RogueSoul

It's official! One More Light has officially debuted at #1 on the Sales + Streaming Chart!

One More Light is the first studio record since Living Things to debut at #1 (The Hunting Party hit #3), but and fifth overall studio album to debut at #1. One More Light has beaten out stiff competition with 2017's most popular record thus far (Kendrick Lamar's DAMN.) and Harry Styles' self-titled debut record.

OML has sold about 100k units (beating the previous estimate of 90k) and with the addition of streams has gotten to the top. Most Linkin Park records have hit number 1 in some form; on the Billboard 100, pretty much all of them have - including Collision Course and Recharged.

EDIT 5/28: According to Billboard, One More Light has debuted at #1, selling 111k units (1k more than THP).

This is big news for Linkin Park, after The Hunting Party fell short. Sales are projected to keep going, so we'll see how OML does in the following weeks, but a #1 debut is fantastic on all ends. Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for updates!

Radio friendly pop record....of course it's #1. They have a devoted fan base who will buy anything they release. It won't last though. The rock crowd won't buy it.

It's number 1 because it's Linkin Park, not because it's pop. Unless you say every album was a radio friendly pop record.

It's number 1 because it's Linkin Park, not because it's pop. Unless you say every album was a radio friendly pop record.

THP didn't get to #1...why do you think that is? Do you notice any differences between that record and OML? Get real man, they made a pop record so they could get on top 40 radio and make a bunch of money. It's painfully obvious.

THP didn't get to #1...why do you think that is? Do you notice any differences between that record and OML? Get real man, they made a pop record so they could get on top 40 radio and make a bunch of money. It's painfully obvious.

THP sold around 10,000 more copies its first week than it looks like OML will have (once the exact numbers come in), and debuted during a week that happened to end up being the first week in all of 2014 to have three albums sell over 100,000 copies. Damn near any other week that year, 110,000 copies would have been an easy #1.

OML will not make them any more money than any other album they've done in recent years (possibly even less), Heavy never cracked the top 50 and none of the subsequent singles will do nearly as well because nothing else on the record has quite as much crossover pop radio appearl (and lead singles nearly always perform better regardless), and the album is largely being viewed as flop by the press. I guarantee they knew all of this would transpire long before the record came out. They're not stupid.

Edited by Astat

THP and HT were the only ones not to hit number 1, will you still minimize the others to "radio friendly pop"? And even THP, given how heavy it was it sold a whole lot, even a little more than OML. Your points are almost always invalid

THP sold around 10,000 more copies its first week than it looks like OML will have (once the exact numbers come in), and debuted during a week that happened to end up being the first week in all of 2014 to have three albums sell over 100,000 copies. Damn near any other week that year, 110,000 copies would have been an easy #1.

OML will not make them any more money than any other album they've done in recent years (possibly even less), Heavy never cracked the top 50 and none of the subsequent singles will do nearly as well because nothing else on the record has quite as much crossover pop radio appearl (and lead singles nearly always perform better regardless), and the album is largely being viewed as flop by the press. I guarantee they knew all of this would transpire long before the record came out. They're not stupid.

I think heavy will be top 50 hit in the next weeks but yeah I pretty much agree with you , well said .

I wonder if this would have hit number 1 had they not enticed ticket purchasers with a "free" copy. Tons of concert goers don't give a shit about new material and purchase tickets based on an artists past or most popular work. It's a pretty slick way of boosting your first week sales.

Well, we'll see if this ends up being the justification the band needs to continue on with this style. At the very least whenever they get criticism about this material they can now always pull the "but it hit number one on the charts!" card. Here's to hoping if they want to go the pop route for the rest of their career that they get a bit more creative. All I know is that if we keep getting more albums like this i'll officially have grown out of their music. Sucks to think about because they've been my favorite band since I started to seriously listen to music. Oh well, people change, tastes change.

THP sold 110000 copies in first week. More than OML.

If you take the steady decline in CD sales into consideration, I still think that this record did relatively better. It probably wasn't the success they hoped for though. I think they hoped to revive their career with a more accessible and modern sound, just like Coldplay, Paramore, and to some extend Nickelback. It won't pay off because the old fans/metal community hates it, and they're just too old and the Linkin Park name is too stigmatized to ever be "cool" in the top 40 range again.

I hope the guys won't take this blow too hard, because while I don't really think OML is up there with their best work, I don't doubt for one second that every lyric and melody comes from a very real place. That's why Chester reacted so strong to the sellout comments.

Edited by Fleur de Lys

If you take the steady decline in CD sales into consideration, I still think that this record did relatively better. It probably wasn't the success they hoped for though. I think they hoped to revive their career with a more accessible and modern sound, just like Coldplay, Paramore, and to some extend Nickelback. It won't pay off because the old fans/metal community hates it, and they're just too old and the Linkin Park name is too stigmatized to ever be "cool" in the top 40 range again.

I hope the guys won't take this blow too hard, because while I don't really think OML is up there with their best work, I don't doubt for one second that every lyric and melody comes from a very real place. That's why Chester reacted so strong to the sellout comments.

Yes maybe they were hoping for a massive success you re right, but the contest is really hard now for a 17 years old band. Anyway, i m reall glad that nobody can call this record a flop, i mean 6 days n. 1 in the ww itunes and a top debut in the Hot 100 is not a flop by any means.

Am I the only who thinks that 110k sales is a very low number if it includes all the album sales related to tickets for their US tour ? I mean, personnaly I wasn't going to buy the album and I end up with 2 albums being shipped just because of that.

They probably already sold tens of thousands tickets for the US tour, which increases dramaticaly their album sales ...

Nevermind, still another #1 in their career :)

The album is their worst album by some margin if you look at reviews, which isn't everything, obviously. I do however agree with them in this instance, metacritic score stands at 43% which I think is decently accurate. It's just bland and forgettable for the most part.

Awesome. I love OML for the record, but this isin't a massive massive success, because it barely sold more than THP which is considered a commercial failure and considering this is an apparently more accessible record, it just goes to show, LP can do niche just fine.

Although what we should consider is that after all this time, LP can still release an album and it tops the charts. Pretty great staying power, even if they no longer hit mega numbers.

And what is also impressive is they can do it with an album both like THP and OML.