10 Years Of Minutes To Midnight

RogueSoul

Imagine if all of time was placed on a single clock, the beginning to end spanning between a 24 hour period. Eons have passed as the clock ticks down slowly, eventually reaching its final seconds. That is where we find ourselves on this clock, in the last moments before the clock strikes midnight. Humanity has only been on the clock for about 5 minutes, yet in that time we have created war, destroyed the forests of our planets, and brought sorrow to each other. As the end nears, the only ones we have to blame are ourselves.

That is the premise of Linkin Park's third record, Minutes To Midnight. When it was released in 2007, the world was just beginning to understand the gravity of our situation and what we've done to the planet. It's an album of emotional fervor, channeled through the very toils of our minds. It discusses politics, self-destruction, and environmental fallout, all placed in the hands of us, humans.

While this album was released in 2007, it's message has become all the more true today, perhaps with even more intense meaning. Perhaps ten years ago we never understood the power this record had, or the truth it held, because on its ten year anniversary we still don't have the answers to the outcries this record has. We are still battling climate change, still fighting wars, still not at peace with ourselves.

Minutes To Midnight is much more than a call-to-arms, though. It's an album that changed the game for Linkin Park. It was their big comeback album, 2003's Meteora being their last record, and Mike was fresh off the heels of Fort Minor's original run in 2005 and 2006. Linkin Park had finally come loose of their nu-metal roots and taken a more alternative route, replacing angst with more emo tendencies.

(If you want to read more on the connections between 2007 and now that Minutes To Midnight has, check out the review I wrote for the album earlier this week on my website Immortal Reviews. #shamelessplug)

mtm10th.jpg

Special thanks to martinez for this great picture!

For us at LPLive, there's no doubt that we appreciate the live aspect of the record a lot, and for good reason. Of all the band's albums out right now, Minutes To Midnight translated live in a very strong fashion. All of the record was performed live before the end of the cycle, each track having its own special qualities live. Here's a track-by-track look at all of the songs on the record and their live performances:

Wake - The intro track of the record served as an intro to 'Given Up' for more or less its entire run from 2007-2008. The song opened up the show in a few setlists (2007's Set A, for example) but was normally played a little later into the set. In 2008, a new version of the song was made, dubbed 'Wake 2.0.' The song pretty much disappeared after the Minutes To Midnight tour ended, save for a one-off performance at the beginning of 2014.

Given Up - While this track has finally reached the end of its run now that the One More Light cycle has come, it has certainly left behind a legacy. 'Given Up' was a staple song since its debut in 2007, usually bringing some raw energy at the beginning of every show. The song's famous 17-second scream has only been pulled a handful of times: Selma 2007, Columbus 2008, and the 2007 pre-tour rehearsals.

Chester pulling off the brutal full scream during 'Given Up' in Selma, Texas 2007.

Leave Out All The Rest - This song holds a place in all of our hearts. It's live performances have always been a treat, too. It was a mid-set song for most of the Minutes To Midnight touring cycle before slowly falling out of rotation during the A Thousand Suns cycle. Fun fact: it originally wasn't even going to be part of any of the setlists on that cycle, but after Mike read a thread on LPLive about the lack of variety in the setlists, they added this song (as well as 'Lying From You') to the setlist starting in Köln 2010. It returned as part of the Ballad Medley in 2012 until 2016, but now it's back in a beautiful new live version that can't be described as anything but perfect.

The new 2017 Version of 'Leave Out All The Rest,' which also serves as the band's way of celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the record.

Bleed It Out - This song needs little introduction. It's the band's signature closing song now, becoming a staple track since its debut in 2007. The song has evolved into a monster over the years, famous for its extended bridge which normally features treats like a verse of 'A Place For My Head' or 'Reading My Eyes' (even 'No Roads Left' in 2011!) or the occasional drum solo by Rob. It's closed pretty much every show for the last 3 years, and for good reason. It's the perfect finale song for any Linkin Park gig, serving as both a celebratory end to a great night and one more emotional outcry.

Shadow Of The Day - Another emotional single from the record, this one was played a lot between 2007 and 2011, somehow managing to outlive 'Leave Out All The Rest.' It was included in the Ballad Medley from 2012 to 2016, as well. It was never a particularly exciting song to hear live, but it was one that you could always connect to and enjoy in the heat of the moment. One interesting moment for the song was in Mansfield 2007, where Brad started playing the solo too low and instead of fixing it, played an improvised one.

What I've Done - Another song that needs no introduction. The album's lead single has stood the test of time and remained a powerful song in the setlist ever since its first moments. It's had some of the band's best live extensions, from the legendary AMBO Intro in 2008 and 2009 to the extended guitar solo bridge they've been using since 2014. It's done it all, from being an epic introduction to a massive closer, as well as featuring extensions from every end. Talk about an iconic song.

'What I've Done' was host to one of the band's most dramatic extensions ever, the AMBO Intro, which was first used in 2008, used at shows including this one - New York City 2008.

Hands Held High - While its full band version was only performed a handful of times in 2007 and 2008, it is perhaps most well known for its dramatic a cappella performances. Mike would rap the song's first verse during 'Crawling' as the haunting 'KRWLNG' intro played under it, making it a powerful moment at every show. In 2009, Mike rapped the first verse a cappella and saved the second verse for the 'KRWLNG' intro. The song hasn't seen much action since then, but it was featured a few times during Mike's Solo Medley in 2014 and was mashed up with 'Waiting For The End' in Fort Minor's 2015 gigs.

No More Sorrow - Perhaps one of the band's most epic live songs ever. 'No More Sorrow' was a powerful track for its lifespan between 2007 and 2011 (and goddamn do we want it back in 2017). It opened plenty of shows on a giant note with its epic extended intro, but the anger and energy it exuded always made a statement no matter where in the set it was. I think all of can agree that this song would fit right in place in the sets today given all the political division throughout the world.

It's not the best video, but it's one of the most iconic in Linkin Park's history. This is the live debut of 'No More Sorrow' in Berlin 2007, where it became the first Minutes To Midnight track to ever be performed to a crowd. Everything about this video send the fanbase into spirals - the sheer intensity of the track, the desperate need to hear new material, and the fact that cameras weren't even allowed at the show. This is the rawest you can get.

Valentine's Day - 'Valentine's Day' wasn't the most performed song ever, but it was a nice treat to hear. It debuted in 2008 and was played throughout the year, eventually gaining a sweet guitar intro before it. It was even played on Valentine's Day that year in St. Paul, Minnesota!

In Between - Perhaps the most insignificant song on the record in terms of live performances, it was a rare one performed sporadically at the start of 2008. If you heard it live, you were lucky, because it was only performed 13 times between January and March 2008.

In Pieces - This song was a staple in Minutes To Midnight setlists. It was as energetic as it is on the album, fast-paced and emotional. The solo was rarely performed correctly (but to Brad's credit, it's not the easiest one to nail). Chester always added the extra line "Don't lie to me" at the end to give it an even more personal tone.

The Little Things Give You Away - The album's heartbreaking conclusion always brought a very emotional note to the record. If you read my review I shamelessly plugged earlier, you'll know how this song essentially served as the centerpiece of the record, bringing everything together in one big final moment. In much the same way, the song served as a centerpiece for every set it was in. Bringing the emotional songs in with the piano intro before transitioning to the more climactic ones by its end, 'The Little Things Give You Away' was always an epic to hear live. Given the theme of One More Light and it being the album's 10 year anniversary, this one would be a welcome return to the sets, as well.

'The Little Things Give You Away' was always one of the most emotional moments of the sets back in 2007 and 2008. This video from the Milton Keynes 2008 DVD does it a lot of justice.

For more info on all of these songs' live histories, check out all of their Linkinpedia pages.

Minutes To Midnight will always hold a place in our hearts and memories. We'll never forget the emotional meanings behind the songs, nor will we forget the big live performances the band put on for the songs. The album's message play a big role in today's society just as they did 10 years ago, and we've never needed these songs more than we do now. Lots of them would fit right into the theme of One More Light, so they wouldn't be out of place in any set. Whether or not we see them added in on this tour, one thing is for certain: this album has a legacy that will live on through eras, and each song will always be relevant. An album with an unforgettable sound is one thing, but an album with a message that never falters is a true classic.

Let us know how you're celebrating the ten-year anniversary of Minutes To Midnight! For even more information on the record, check out its Linkinpedia page. What are your favorite songs or live performances from the era? What songs would you like to see on the One More Light tour? Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more MTM throwbacks throughout the day.

I will never forget the first time I heard the whole album, beginning to end, it was a beautiful and different experience (ATS topped it 3 years later). I also do remember reading a very condescending critic towards the album: http://www.nme.com/reviews/album/reviews-linkin-park-8533. Sure it happened the same with ATS or other albums, but this one I wasn't sure how to take it. I still to this day enjoy this album overall and needless to say it sounds amazing live. I still want to hear Chester's version, but my favorite is indeed No Roads Left.

Great album. Definitely one of their best. My favorite song has to be "In Pieces". Such a different sound for the band (among others on here), the buildup was beautiful.

I actually think that this album has the best demos/b-sides as well.

I will never forget the first time I heard the whole album, beginning to end, it was a beautiful and different experience (ATS topped it 3 years later). I also do remember reading a very condescending critic towards the album: http://www.nme.com/reviews/album/reviews-linkin-park-8533. Sure it happened the same with ATS or other albums, but this one I wasn't sure how to take it. I still to this day enjoy this album overall and needless to say it sounds amazing live. I still want to hear Chester's version, but my favorite is indeed No Roads Left.

Man, that's such a shitty "review" that it's even laughable :P The guy spent half of it just to criticize one song, and I don't agree with the Metallica reference. The only metal-esque song is NMS, and it sounds nothing like Metallica.

God, it makes me feel so old knowing that this album came out ten years ago. I love its overall message and it's even more relevant now in the era of Donald Trump than it was during the era of George W. Bush. The threat of climate change and the possibility of WWIII breaking out are increasing more and more every day and listening to this album gives me hope and inspires me to be active.

Edited by kcg

My favorite track of Minutes To Midnight is In Between. It's so sad that I will never be able to see it performed live again :(

No More Sorrow and Given Up should return to the set but they are not so famous as One Step Closer and Faint and they don't sound like One More Light songs for this tour

Nice! My fav is No Roads Left, I think you could add it in the track by track since the song counts totally in The álbum and it's more than a "BIO bridge".

I wouldn't say NRL "totally counts" on the album. It was a bonus track, and the song was only ever performed as part of the Bleed it Out bridge outside of rehearsals. Live, it really was nothing more than that.

I wouldn't say NRL "totally counts" on the album. It was a bonus track, and the song was only ever performed as part of the Bleed it Out bridge outside of rehearsals. Live, it really was nothing more than that.

Agree. If it counts, It's my favorite song!

Thanks everyone for the post compliments. I feel the love :wub:

Crazy that when this album was released, I was 7. One of my earliest memories of music was listening to WID whenever I saw my aunt. It was one of three songs I remember from my childhood - the others are 'Thnks Fr Th Mmrs' by Fall Out Boy and 'The Kill' by Thirty Seconds To Mars. WID and, to an extent, this whole album will always hold a place in my heart because of that.