7/31/15 Mike LPU Chat Recap

RogueSoul

Mike appeared on the LPU VyRT Chat on July 31 to answer some of your questions. Here's a quick recap of some of his answers, in case you missed it.

- No plans for a Fort Minor tour (yet).

- Shoutout from Mike to LPL for our China coverage! Thanks Mike!

- Mike hasn’t thought about what will be on the next LPU CD yet.

- Dave knows the most about cultures, since he watches the History Channel and payed attention in History class. In China, he kept talking about historic battles in the country’s past.

- Don’t expect a live debut on the next tour, since it’s hard to get all of the band together to rehearse a new song, as they have to work out every single part of it (i.e. programming, guitar layers, etc.). Mike would love to play ‘Keys To The Kingdom’ and ‘Mark The Graves’, but he doesn’t think it’ll happen this tour. He’s interested in playing them on the next tour, though.

- Mike’s favorite music videos? 'Waiting For The End', 'Castle Of Glass', and 'Leave Out All The Rest'.

- Dropping THP songs: 'Rebellion' dropped for China, 'Guilty All The Same' because Rob had shoulder problems playing it and Brad hurt his wrist playing it.

- Mike would love to make a music video for ‘A Line In The Sand’ or ‘Wastelands’ - especially the latter!

- Nothing big planned for the Hybrid Theory 15th Anniversary, but something is coming!

- Mike didn’t Periscope in China because it isn’t reliable. He's been updating his Snapchat Snapchat story quite frequently, though!

- In 2016, the band is planning on having an album out. They’re going into the studio at the end of this year. Lots of demos recorded by Mike!

- On new Fort Minor songs: he’ll take music to the band first, if they like it, he’ll work on it and finish it.

- Mike still gets nervous before Fort Minor shows, but not for Linkin Park.

- Mike would love to bring back DSPs - they’re looking for a way to effectively bring them back. Pooch had to work double time on them - being a roadie, mixer, and THEN work on the show afterwards, overwhelming them.

- There’s still vinyls for ‘Welcome’ left! Grab them before it’s too late!

- Mike’s favorite author? His wife, Anna.

- Superman or Batman? Mike’s choice: Batman.

- Mike joked that they would make a handbook about what to do and what not to do when meeting a band. The universal rule: “If the person you are talking to is crying, saying goodbye to someone at an airport, throwing up, etc… DO NOT TALK TO THEM!”

- LPU Meet and Greets will be available for the Fort Minor shows in Copenhagen and Berlin!

The Hunting Party Tour is reaching it's end, with the band appearing for one last full tour in Europe, along with performances with Fort Minor in Copenhagen in Berlin. For updates on the chat, check back here or follow us on Twitter. Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2015 touring schedule here.

To all the musicians

Can you REALLY hurt yourself if you play constantly GATS?

If you play it properly? Not really. I mean, if you played it constantly for an hour and a half, then yeah, it could hurt your hand/wrist, but he doesn't.

Stay tuned about the DSP stuff.

I guess we'll never see GATS again, this is why they dropped it for May then. I guess otherwise we'd have seen it in the set with ALITS...what a shame. Oh well! I hope Rebellion is back for Europe.

No live debuts...shame. They said they ran through all of the album last year in rehearsals....shouldn't be too hard to work one up. No way we see KTTK or MTG on the 2016 tour with a new album coming, unless they tour before it. There will be more songs than ever before, why would they play those 2? Lmao.

The album deadline in 2016 + the ticket sales must be why they didn't make that tour up that was canceled.

HT 15th Anniversary....please let it be a show.

Stay tuned about the DSP stuff.

I guess we'll never see GATS again, this is why they dropped it for May then. I guess otherwise we'd have seen it in the set with ALITS...what a shame. Oh well! I hope Rebellion is back for Europe.

No live debuts...shame. They said they ran through all of the album last year in rehearsals....shouldn't be too hard to work one up. No way we see KTTK or MTG on the 2016 tour with a new album coming, unless they tour before it. There will be more songs than ever before, why would they play those 2? Lmao.

The album deadline in 2016 + the ticket sales must be why they didn't make that tour up that was canceled.

HT 15th Anniversary....please let it be a show.

I'm pretty sure they didn't play all the song from THP in rehearsal, because takes way too long. Bad ticket sales? not really, just chester being busy with STP

Is it really that hard to get everyone together for a few rehearsals? This is what they do, right? I understand that being in LP isn't their entire life, but they should probably be able to fit in some rehearsal time.

I'm pretty sure they didn't play all the song from THP in rehearsal, because takes way too long. Bad ticket sales? not really, just chester being busy with STP

The reason I disagree with you is that if this was a sold out tour of 19 arenas in the US and Canada, they'd reschedule the tour. The demand would be too insane. LP wouldn't walk away from that. Playing to half-full arenas with STP coming up and LP wants to make a new album? Not enough interest by the band there to play that tour over again.

Is it really that hard to get everyone together for a few rehearsals? This is what they do, right? I understand that being in LP isn't their entire life, but they should probably be able to fit in some rehearsal time.

I agree. It also seems to take them longer these days to rehearse songs and learn them, but that might only be because of social media updating us so much.

Yeah ! That's such a shame and I'm very disappointed of LP! I mean... for example KTTK or most of the other songs are 3/4 minutes and they have not enough time to rehearse a song which they played maybe 100 times to fix for the album. Chester's and Mike's parts to sing should be easy, Joe also, Phoenix never had really diffcult bass parts and Brad and Rob could do much better.

No one excepts that LP would play a show with 100 minutes full of heavy shit with songs which have 2 minutes guitar solos and every song has a drum solo or something like this....

but one week before they will travel to Europe they should take time to rehearse some new intros/outros, some songs which they didn't play a long time and also to learn "new songs".

That's really a kick in the face of every hardcore LP fan!

LP!! Remember guys (I talk to Mike, Chester, Rob, Joe, Dave, Brad)...remember, we in Germany paid the highest ticket prices ever for a LP show this year! Almost 90 Euros and 2014 I was at Rock im Park and paid 170 Euros for a full 4 days festival with LP, Metallica, Iron Maiden,....

LP!! Remember guys (I talk to Mike, Chester, Rob, Joe, Dave, Brad)...remember, we in Germany paid the highest ticket prices ever for a LP show this year! Almost 90 Euros and 2014 I was at Rock im Park and paid 170 Euros for a full 4 days festival with LP, Metallica, Iron Maiden,....

Dude I paid the same back in Monterrey the price is insane and kinda unfair the production is not that good, no opening band and the setlist time is kinda short

Pretty sure that Mr Dickinson and Maiden play longer sets and they don't have time to rest in the middle of the set.

Yeah ! That's such a shame and I'm very disappointed of LP! I mean... for example KTTK or most of the other songs are 3/4 minutes and they have not enough time to rehearse a song which they played maybe 100 times to fix for the album. Chester's and Mike's parts to sing should be easy, Joe also, Phoenix never had really diffcult bass parts and Brad and Rob could do much better.

No one excepts that LP would play a show with 100 minutes full of heavy shit with songs which have 2 minutes guitar solos and every song has a drum solo or something like this....

but one week before they will travel to Europe they should take time to rehearse some new intros/outros, some songs which they didn't play a long time and also to learn "new songs".

That's really a kick in the face of every hardcore LP fan!

Man.The China shows cost almost 300 Euros per ticket.

To all the musicians

Can you REALLY hurt yourself if you play constantly GATS?

Congrats on the shoutout.

I can see GATS being physically demanding on drummers. A lot of the right hand parts throughout that one are just CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH repeatedly for long periods of time, so I guess that could be rough on your shoulder. Plus we already knew Rob threw out his back recording that one in the first place.

Guitar-wise, I can see the solo being a little bit of a strain on your fretting hand's wrist because there are a couple stretches that span 5 frets in there, but Brad's right wrist is the one that's been giving him problems, based on the KT Tape that he's been wearing a lot. All I can chalk that up to is his poor tremolo picking technique, he "flails" way too much with his right hand. Also probably part of why his solos at the end of Faint are so bad...

remember, we in Germany paid the highest ticket prices ever for a LP show this year! Almost 90 Euros

Hello, Germany, here goes Belarus (yeah, 'centre of Europe', not kidding) - 150 Euros. That's first ever performance there and what we have? Fanzone - sold out, dancefloor - ~200 tickets left; seats - I don't think that they'll be sold out, but close enough)

Doubt that Keys To The Kingdom and Mark The Graves will be played on the next tour since they are deep cuts (not singles) and with a new album and tour they will probably want to have room for new songs and singles.

As far as the DSP situation, I don't think it's good news. Yes, he said he would like to see them return, but his comment doesn't seem too promising. I think he has said that before too. If it's too much work for Pooch then I don't see how it'd be any different nowadays. They probably don't want to hire another person solely to help with DSP's.

why everyone is talking like rehearsing a new song is easy.. and by the way Brad And Rob's solos are so difficult !

their shows are great and always exciting !

The problem everyone seems to have, or that I do, is that they're not even bothering to try it. They have several weeks before the next tour starts. In that time, they could EASILY get Keys down. Except for the solo, which really isn't even that hard once you know it, nothing about Keys is particularly difficult instrumentally except for Rob's drumming, which I believe he could probably nail given his motivation lately. However, instead of even trying, they're basically saying "Meh, fuck it. This set is good enough." They've just gotten lazy when it comes to trying to get new songs into the setlist, and that's really disappointing.

why everyone is talking like rehearsing a new song is easy.. and by the way Brad And Rob's solos are so difficult !

1. They wrote and recorded the song

2. What COG/SasstielExperience said

3. They already play harder solos live

4. It's possible they already rehearsed the songs (according to a source they rehearsed whole THP)

5. Rob is awesome

6. Brad is a lazy ass, but I think he is able to learn something he already had to learn, and in the end learned it

7. They live near each other

8. They are friends

9. They have a lot of studios nearby their homes

10. They are professional musicians, so that's their job

11. They have a lot of free time compared to normal humans that go to work

12. They have been doing it for over a decade

No excuses, LP!

1. They wrote and recorded the song

2. What COG/SasstielExperience said

3. They already play harder solos live

4. It's possible they already rehearsed the songs (according to a source they rehearsed whole THP)

5. Rob is awesome

6. Brad is a lazy ass, but I think he is able to learn something he already had to learn, and in the end learned it

7. They live near each other

8. They are friends

9. They have a lot of studios nearby their homes

10. They are professional musicians, so that's their job

11. They have a lot of free time compared to normal humans that go to work

12. They have been doing it for over a decade

No excuses, LP!

That was something that may make them look like "No! Please don't kill me!"

Honestly I don't think it should be that hard for Brad and Rob (they would have the toughest job of all the band members) to relearn the songs. If people on the internet can tab out the guitar parts and do drum covers, then the guys who wrote them can easily practice it. It isn't like we are asking Brad to learn fingerpicking and sweep picking in a week, if the guys can practice ALITS and GATS then they can do these songs that are at the same level.

They made a mistake last year. They made a set which was too perfect and hard to rehearse. Just take a look at KFMA's Day show from last year. The setlist and the notes are too complicated! They kinda wanted to have everything at once, which is not possible. You have to sacrifice somethings to get something new.

I still maintain the idea that considering how rough Brad was with the intro to GATS in early 2014, he just "forgot" how to play it again and is too lazy to practice it.

And I agree with everyone else, the fact that Keys To The Kingdom isn't in the set a year later is pure laziness.