2014.09.06 - Dallas, TX, Gexa Energy Pavilion

RogueSoul

30-seconds-to-mars-carnivores-tour-linki

The Carnivores Tour wraps up its short Texan excursion in Dallas! Linkin Park, Thirty Seconds To Mars, and AFI are headed to the Gexa Energy Pavilion in Dallas, Texas. Linkin Park is no stranger to Dallas, as they've performed there plenty of times in the past: THREE times in 2000 (1, 2, 3), twice in 2001 (1, 2), 2003, twice in 2004 (1, 2), 2007, 2008, 2011, and 2012 - a HUGE TWELVE times! Who's ready for a history lesson?! We have a lot to cover today, get ready!

At the first show in 2000, which is the earliest time the band has returned to a city on this tour, the band performed as a part of Union Underground's 'An Education In Rebellion' Tour, all the way back that August. At the second show of that year in Dallas, the band was performing on Kottonmouth Kings' 'Riding High' Tour, one of Linkin Park's longest tours (33 shows!). The last show in 2000 was part of P.O.D.'s 'King Of The Game' Tour, where they performed with the likes of P.O.D., (hed)p.e, and Project 86. The first show in 2001 saw them performed on the Ozzfest, a very famous time in the band's early history. They performed alongside Papa Roach, Marilyn Manson, and Slipknot - a heaven for nu-metal fans! The second show in 2001 had them performing on the Family Values Tour, where they played with Staind, Static-X, and Stone Temple Pilots, which recently took in Chester as their lead singer! During STP's set, Chester came out onstage to sing 'Dead & Bloated' with them. STP were always one of Chester's favorite bands. He went from being a guest during their set to being their lead singer in 2013!

Anyway, when the band returned in 2003, the band performed new Meteora songs like 'Session', 'From The Inside', 'Hit The Floor', and 'Easier To Run'. During 'One Step Closer', Christian Lindskog from the band Blindside came out to perform with the band! The first show in 2004 featured one of Linkin Park's best sets: opening with 'With You', now-rarer songs like 'Nobody's Listening', 'It's Goin' Down', and 'From The Inside', as well as a GREAT encore consisting of 'My December', 'P5hng Me A*wy' from Reanimation, 'A Place For My Head', and 'One Step Closer'. Wow! The second show was part of the famous 2004 Projekt Revolution, where they performed with Korn, Snoop Dogg, The Used, and Less Than Jake. They band performed a cover of Nine Inch Nails' 'Wish', as well as bringing out a few guests on the tour; Ivan the Urban Action Figure during the 'It's Goin' Down' portion of the Hip-Hop Medley and Jonathan Davis during the Reanimated Bridge of 'One Step Closer'.

Projekt Revolution 2007 was the band's next performance there, alongside My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday, HIM, Placebo, and Julien-K. Notable occurrences at the show include Mike rapping his verse from 'Respect 4 Grandma' during the extended intro of 'Points Of Authority', and an awesome encore of 'Cure For The Itch' (MTM Version), 'QWERTY', 'Bleed It Out', and 'Faint'. Dallas has had some great endings of the show! Will the trend continue tonight? 2008, the second to last show of the 2008 Touring Cycle, had some cool things happen: Mike rapping 'In Stereo' and 'There They Go' over the extensions of 'Points Of Authority', Chris Cornell coming out to sing during 'Crawling', and the band playing a double-encore set!

The band performed a rescheduled show in Dallas in 2011, after having to cancel a performance there a few weeks prior do to Chester becoming ill. Mike performed an keyboard transition from 'What I've Done' into 'No More Sorrow', and the band performed 'A Place For My Head' over the extended bridge of 'Bleed It Out', as well as Rob performing a drum solo. Finally, at the most recent performance there in 2012, where Chester's mohawk returned! The band incorporated the new Living Things song, 'In My Remains' into the set as well as changing up the order to the set yet again. That was most likely the longest history lesson yet. Just wait until California...

Yesterday, the band performed at Woodlands, TX for the first show since the break. The 11th LPU Summit was held there, and the band performed 'Final Masquerade' acoustic again, as well as broadcasting their Q&A via VyRT. They performed Set B, which contains 'With You', 'Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You', and 'Somewhere I Belong'. Mike rapped a verse from 'When They Come For Me' over his medley. The band has plenty of songs they can randomly perform on the tour - including 'A Place For My Head', 'By Myself' and 'No More Sorrow', the leaders on our 2014 Live Poll. Other songs the band rehearsed but didn't play on the tour include 'A Light That Never Comes' (the full version), 'Breaking The Habit', 'When They Come For Me', and the other rare Hybrid Theory songs.

Watch Chester and Brad perform 'Final Masquerade' acoustic at yesterday's summit in Dallas! This differs from the last performance of it, because Mike randomly disappeared and it lacks the bridge where Brad would play the chords instead of his solo. The next summit has been announced to be in Amsterdam, The Netherlands on November 7, 2014. Will the band perform an acoustic song there, or do a rehearsal? What do you think?

The other bands on the Carnivores Tour are still jamming! AFI performed their regular setlist consisting of hits like 'I Hope You Suffer', 'The Leaving Song, Pt. II', and 'Miss Murder', as well as some older tracks like 'Medicate' and 'The Days Of The Phoenix'. AFI hasn't changed their setlist since the two Florida shows at the beginning of the tour, where they played 'A Single Second' and 'Beautiful Thieves' for the only times on the Carnivores Tour. Do you think they'll be back in the set before the tour wraps up? Thirty Seconds To Mars also performed the same structured set that they've been playing, which includes an old-school opened of Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana: O Fortuna' and their new song, 'Up In The Air'. The band performed their hits like 'Do Or Die' and 'This Is War', as well as some other new songs like 'Conquistador' and 'End Of All Days'. Jared performed his acoustic set from the middle of the crowd, taking requests and performing MARS's biggest song, 'The Kill (Bury Me)'. Before the acoustic set, Jared did the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, challenging the entire audience to do it! The band concluded the show with an instrumental jam of Pantera's 'Cowboys From Hell' and Jared inviting fans from the crowd up on stage for 'Closer To The Edge'. During 'Kings and Queens', Jared went way back into the crowd to say hello to those who aren't all the way up in front!

If you live in a location that isn't being visited by the Carnivores Tour, don't fret! Jared Leto's social ticketing company, VyRT, will be broadcasting Linkin Park's and Thirty Seconds To Mars' sets from the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, CA on September 15! You can purchase a ticket for both sets for as low as $15, as well as buying a variety of packages for exclusive Thirty Seconds To Mars-related events, including a backstage tour, a post-show chat, and even an acoustic set! Jared has frequently been appearing on VyRT for a lo-fi webcast they call VyRT Violet and playing short acoustic sets. At the show in Tinley Park, IL, they attempted to VyRT them heading onstage to play their show, but the Internet did not cooperate. Recently, on the 4th, Jared performed a special acoustic set just for those who have purchased a ticket already, which included a few acoustic songs and a sneak-peek of their upcoming live film, "Into The Wild". Will you join us on the 15th to experience the show through VyRT?

Who's heading to the show? The band will likely perform Set A, since they performed Set B yesterday in Woodlands. Stop by the Music For Relief booth to donate to helping put an end to the ebola epidemic taking place in Africa. For updates on the show, check back here on LPLive and follow us on Twitter!

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2014 touring schedule here.

Show Page Notes

Date: September 6, 2014

Venue: Gexa Energy Pavilion

Tour: Carnivores Tour

Show #17 of 25

01. Mashup Intro #2 (w/ Session, 1stp Klosr, The Requiem, The Summoning, The Catalyst, Guilty All The Same)

02. Guilty All The Same
03. Given Up (Ext. Outro w/ Extra Note)
04. Points Of Authority (Shortened Intro)
05. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)
06. Blackout (Shortened (Intro and Partial Outro Instrumental Only); Ext. Papercut Beat Outro Transition))
07. Papercut (Shortened (No Second Verse or Second Chorus))
08. Rebellion (Ext. Intro)
09. Runaway (Shortened (Intro/First Verse/Chorus Only); Ext. Intro; Ext. Outro Transition w/ Wastelands Verse 1)
10. Wastelands
11. Castle Of Glass (Experience Version; Piano Transition Outro)
12. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)
13. Robot Boy (Shortened (Intro, Synth Bridge, and Ending Instrumental Only))
14. Joe Solo Medley (w/ Wretches And Kings, Victimized Remix, Buy Myself, Cure For The Itch, Session, Plc.4 Mie Hæd)
15. Burn It Down
16. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ Until It Breaks Verse 2; Wall Of Noise Outro)
17. Final Masquerade
18. Mike Solo Medley (w/ Joe) (w/ Wretches And Kings, Remember The Name; Ext. Outro Transition)
19. Numb (Numb/Encore Intro/Outro + Verse 1 Guitar)
20. In The End
21. Faint (Ext. Outro)
----------------------------------------------------
22. Lost In The Echo (Shortened (Intro/First Verse/First Chorus/Outro Only); Swirl Intro)
23. New Divide (Shortened (No Second Verse and Second Chorus); Transition Outro)
24. Crawling (Shortened (No Second Verse); w/ Faster Tempo)
25. Until It's Gone (Shortened (Intro/Hybrid Verse/Second Chorus/Transition Outro); Ext. Intro w/ With You Verse 1)
26. What I've Done (Short Ticking Intro; Ext. Guitar Solo Bridge)
27. Bleed It Out (Ext. Intro; Ext. Bridge w/ Drum Solo + The Catalyst Refrain; Ext. Ending)

Show Notes:

- On the transition outro of 'Runaway', Mike rapped verse one of 'Wastelands'. Chester sang the first line of the bridge over the outro transition.
- Mike's solo portion of the show featured a 'hybrid' verse of 'Wretches And Kings', the chorus of 'Remember The Name' (by Fort Minor), and a 'hybrid' verse of 'Remember The Name'. After the 'hybrid' verse of 'Remember The Name', he went into the chorus again.
- Mike rapped the first verse of 'With You' over the extended intro of 'Until It's Gone'.
- During the bridge of 'Bleed It Out', Rob performed a drum solo before the band sang a refrain from 'The Catalyst'.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'd know if they read our preshow posts.

I personally think that the biggest let down of this whole tour is that there was no Rakim on the east coast. He played shows literally just miles away from LP. I don't get it. At this point it wouldn't even surprise me that they didn't know he was that close. I still think GATS is one of the highlights of the show.

LPL used to be great, but it has fallen.

Just FYI, Less Than Jake was on the PR04 tour but they did not perform in Dallas due to one of the band members being sick. Ghostface Killa of the Wu-Tang Clan took their spot on the main stage.

You should include this as well. We get tons of news on Thirty Seconds To Mars now and they have nothing to do with LP, so we should include info for all other bands that have toured with LP in the past when talking about past tours, etc.

Edited by Geki

As said in the previous preshow post, I've lost hope to see any surprise in this tour which is a bit disappointing. LP used to make surprises in the past, now it's the same thing in every show and just 2 setlists (if not even 1 like in European tour in June). I just hope they'll do something new for the next "European" (better saying German) tour like playing new songs from THP (I really wish to see ALITS and KTTK), changing setlists bringing back songs like APFMH, No More Sorrow and other songs we all want to see.

As said in the previous preshow post, I've lost hope to see any surprise in this tour which is a bit disappointing. LP used to make surprises in the past, now it's the same thing in every show and just 2 setlists (if not even 1 like in European tour in June). I just hope they'll do something new for the next "European" (better saying German) tour like playing new songs from THP (I really wish to see ALITS and KTTK), changing setlists bringing back songs like APFMH, No More Sorrow and other songs we all want to see.

If the set was good and solid, I wouldn't mind having 1 set for the entire touring cycle, honestly. If they had a set in which they played full songs like they did in the past, while including songs like A Place For My Head, When They Come For Me, Keys To The Kingdom, Guilty All The Same, Wastelands, Until It's Gone, Rebellion, Drawbar, Final Masquerade, A Line In The Sand and tons of singles and some rare songs, I would be very happy. But the set is very poor and they lack a certain energy that they had each year in the past. They need to start playing full songs again and they need to throw in a surprise. Bring back A Place For My Head, everyone wants to hear it. I bet even casual fans would have heard it at some point and they might love it, if not. Do a collab, they did a collab on PR08, HCT, etc.

Why? lol

Because I miss the old times when you used to be the only one who did pre-show posts (no offense to Soul or anyone else). This is your website, right? I guess I will respect your decision to have other people do it since you are the owner of this site. I also think it's annoying how we get large updates on Thirty Seconds To Mars and AFI, but this is just my opinion.

Edited by Geki

Are we still on the bandwagon to be mad at the band? I'm mad that they still haven't had any live collabs. Jesus Leto could definitely help out on some songs since Chester hasn't been at his best lately. Someone mentioned before that Jared could make All For Nothing possible by singing the main part of the chorus.

you can't make it right for everyone, if they play too many new songs, people will complain that they are not playing enough old song lol. I'm sure that lots of people don't even care or know about the new songs and don't want to hear them. Casual fans are weird but they are the majority.

5 new songs is still quite a lot, you have to accept that the old days are over when they were able to put more than half of the album into their set, they have several albums now, it's just not possible.

They've always spread their album material over a whole album cycle, they want to save some stuff for later, that's what keeps the touring cycle exciting. I hope they add a new song in Europe...

I honestly think the sets should be composed of mainly their new songs and their previous aggressive songs (By Myself, Qwerty, Don't Stay etc.) Why couldn't just rotate their new stuff like for example

Rotate Given Up with War or rotate Wastelands with Keys

Also, I think A Line In The Sand should've been a single because didn't Mike say that he loved this song because it shows what LP is about?

I honestly think the sets should be composed of mainly their new songs and their previous aggressive songs (By Myself, Qwerty, Don't Stay etc.) Why couldn't just rotate their new stuff like for example

Rotate Given Up with War or rotate Wastelands with Keys

Also, I think A Line In The Sand should've been a single because didn't Mike say that he loved this song because it shows what LP is about?

Disagree with most of this. Yes, they should focus on their new material and include some older, heavier stuff, but they also have to include certain songs (In The End, Numb, What I've Done etc.), and I actually would like to hear some rarer post-MTM stuff (In Pieces, Blackout, WTCFM, IMR, and the like). They also should definitely NOT rotate new songs. Rotate old ones (GU and NMS, SIB and FTI etc.). Also strongly disagree about ALITS being a single. Singles are songs that would do well on radio and draw in new fans. ALITS would never make it on radio, just like a song like TLGYA wouldn't. Edited by CASTLEOFSASSEXPERIENCE

I am start wondering if the bands choosed these songs for the set considering how they would affect Chester voice. In this tour seems that even now Chester is doing great on tour. In the Honda Civic Tour setlists were way more energetic but Chester sounded really off as the tour proceeded

Edited by HyruleKing

Linkin Park is one of the most lazy bands in terms of live shows i ever seen. They are fine playing the same setlist for 5 months without any problem. Even contradict themselves in terms of "Playing Singles for Festivals" because are the most popular songs and "Playing some other stuff" for headliner tours... False. They are just playing almost the same shitty setlist since May!

I just can't accept this anymore, im fuckin tired of this. They had a month between the Promo Tour in Europe and the Carnivores Tour and they just added 2 songs? Where is the innovation, the visceral, the loud, the carnivore Linkin Park?

Im not asking the band play Figure 09, QWERTY, Given Up, Blackout, APFMH, From The Inside and By Myself in the same setlist, but they can freaking rotate the songs, surprise fans, rotate setlists, play instrumental songs.

I do not believe that the Carnivores Tour be fucking amazing every night as Chester said, and i do not believe that they are really enjoying the tour when they are playing the same songs every single night since May, with just little changes. Changes that almost every night came from Mike Shinoda.

And about the information of the 30STM and AFI shows, i like the idea. Are making the pre-show posts a bit more interesting taking in account that the Carnivores Tour is the worst LP tour to date. Im with you "Soul", you have my support.

Linkin Park is one of the most lazy bands in terms of live shows i ever seen. They are fine playing the same setlist for 5 months without any problem. Even contradict themselves in terms of "Playing Singles for Festivals" because are the most popular songs and "Playing some other stuff" for headliner tours... False. They are just playing almost the same shitty setlist since May!

I just can't accept this anymore, im fuckin tired of this. They had a month between the Promo Tour in Europe and the Carnivores Tour and they just added 2 songs? Where is the innovation, the visceral, the loud, the carnivore Linkin Park?

Im not asking the band play Figure 09, QWERTY, Given Up, Blackout, APFMH, From The Inside and By Myself in the same setlist, but they can freaking rotate the songs, surprise fans, rotate setlists, play instrumental songs.

I do not believe that the Carnivores Tour be fucking amazing every night as Chester said, and i do not believe that they are really enjoying the tour when they are playing the same songs every single night since May, with just little changes. Changes that almost every night came from Mike Shinoda.

And about the information of the 30STM and AFI shows, i like the idea. Are making the pre-show posts a bit more interesting taking in account that the Carnivores Tour is the worst LP tour to date. Im with you "Soul", you have my support.

I agree with you!

THIS.

After months where we always have read words like "Visceral" "Aggressive" "Loud" regarding the new mentality of the band, i expected them to be a little more coherent. The band pointed the finger against bands that makes "Safety, and erbivorous" music. In this tour they are an erbivorous band in my opinion, that plays always a setlist mostly made for casual fans, and not considering songs that would fit perfectly with the themes expressed by the band.