"Until It's Gone" for MTV VMA's 2014 Best Rock Video

Stranger

MTV have announced all the nominees for this year’s 2014 Video Music Awards (VMA) and Linkin Park’s "Until It’s Gone" has been nominated for Best Rock Video! Congratulations to them and now, let's VOTE for them (every single day!)

Here is the full list of nominees under best rock:
Linkin Park – “Until It’s Gone”
Imagine Dragons – “Demons”
Arctic Monkeys – “Do I Wanna Know”
The Black Keys – “Fever”
Lorde – “Royals”

10394774_905461102803328_147133020583052

I dont mind about Imagine Dragons, Arctic Monkey and The Black Keys since they are the bands.

You know you can make rock music without being in a band? That's not a good indicator ;)

But I agree, Lorde is no rock :-D

What also confuses me:

Royals music video release date: 12 May 2013

Until It's Gone video release date: 11 June 2014

More than one year difference. How can they be nominated in the same year though?

Edited by graveguard

You know you can make rock music without being in a band? That's not a good indicator ;)

But I agree, Lorde is no rock :-D

What also confuses me:

Royals music video release date: 12 May 2013

Until It's Gone video release date: 11 June 2014

More than one year difference. How can they be nominated in the same year though?

Yeah, i know that but i dont mind those band in this category cuz i like them too. :P But couldnt accept the fact that Lorde in this "Rock" category. Damnit. And yeah, video from 2013 nominated for 2014. I bet that Lorde will get lots of vote.

How to pick an MTV rock category:

Have one actual rock artist with an "OK" video and have four other popular indie-sounding artists in the category.

Royals and Demons are from 2013, how the fuck are they still nominated?

I remember reading something on Twitter by the person who categorized for Billboard -

Lorde was in the rock group because rock is the rock category is a combination of actual rock music and ALTERNATIVE music, because apparently they can't make their own category for a genre that's so wide now. I even think he went as far as to say "All [if not, most] modern, popular rock is now alternative."

Even SHE was confused:

A7AGprb.gif

I feel bad for kids these days. Growing up with shitty music. Now days most kids only listen to Pop and Rap. The vast majority of the time I turn on KIIS or Z100 it's all garbage. Early 00's was way better in terms of music than early 10's (now).

It's not fair to LP being against those other songs/artist. It's all a popularity contest. They had better competition back when Meteora was fairly new.

I feel bad for kids these days. Growing up with shitty music. Now days most kids only listen to Pop and Rap. The vast majority of the time I turn on KIIS or Z100 it's all garbage. Early 00's was way better in terms of music than early 10's (now).

It's not fair to LP being against those other songs/artist. It's all a popularity contest. They had better competition back when Meteora was fairly new.

Any generation is saying the same thing about the "new" music. There is a lot of good new music out there but just because you don't like it, it doesn't make a whole generation of musicians worse.

I feel bad for adults these days, calling good music shit because it's classified as "pop" and "rap".

I feel bad for adults these days, calling mainstream music shit because it's classified as "pop" and "rap".

Fixed that for you

I'm not an adult, and I pretty much agree with them.

Today kids/teens are just looking what is cool. And they try to be as cool as possible. So they search popular music on YT, that's what is their meaning of being "cool". Do you remember Gangnam Style, no a teen will say it's still cool, because it's not mainstream anymore. Another funny thing is that they fake what they don't know, they call someone who isn't cool/mainstream for Hipster, even it's definition isn't "not mainstream". Of course, it don't regards every teen, but a very big part.

Nobody calls mainstream music for shit because it is classified as pop or rap, it's because it sounds bad, you can hear lack of emotion and effort put into it. Even Mike mentioned how small amount effort many pop artist put into making music. Again, of course it doesn't regard all pop artists,

A couple of years ago, there was bigger variety of music styles in mainstream than it's today. Today if you don't listen to pop, dubstep, hip hop or EDM then you are either emo or hipster

Well if a category for that kind of music doesn't exists they should list them under R&B, I KNOW THAT IT DOESN'T SOUNDS LIKE R&B but that one fits better than rock... this is bullshit.

That would fit as much as rock. Wouldn't solve or change anything about the problem.

I feel bad for adults these days, calling good music shit because it's classified as "pop" and "rap".

Don't forget that a lot of people who don't like "these days" mainstream music, don't like mainstream music at all, nothing to do with the generation or the genre/s. Additionally, a lot of people don't like Pop and Rap because its simplicity (lyrically/instrumentally).

Music is like painting, some people thinks it should be complicated or with some kind of message, some like it simple and clear, some like it abstract while others thinks it's just a mess of colors. All of them are painting, all of them are art.

My point is, there's no right or wrong here. It's all about what you want to hear, and all of the comments about the "herd listerners" who listen to what's popular (without having a solid opinion why) these days are also unnecessary, because the ones who have super unique taste in music are buying Apple products sometimes because it's popular (without having a solid opinion why), the ones who buys distinctive tech products buys the popular cars sometimes (again - without having a solid opinion why), and you can continue from here on and on by yourself. One more important thing - sometimes something become popular because it's good or unique (and I know that there are a million examples of not-necessarily-great popular things but this is a different subject).

What's wrong with rap?

I grew up on Rap music! Mike Shinoda also grew up on Rap Music!

The music we grew up on, is way different from what's hot right now!

I do agree with this tho, Lorde is NOT a ROCK artist!

We all grew up on different music, it doesn't mean that something sucks or not. Hell, I used to listen to pop punk and punk albums growing up and then some LP, etc. I think we can all agree on one thing though. Lorde is not ''rock'' and her song/video is also from 2013, why is it even considered? 2013 is history.

We all grew up on different music, it doesn't mean that something sucks or not. Hell, I used to listen to pop punk and punk albums growing up and then some LP, etc. I think we can all agree on one thing though. Lorde is not ''rock'' and her song/video is also from 2013, why is it even considered? 2013 is history.

Royals was released in early June of 2013, so it missed the awards season for that summer.

Royals was released in early June of 2013, so it missed the awards season for that summer.

Check my first post in this thread. It was released in May. Also UIG was released in June which would be too late for this years season after your statement.