Drop Songs & Save Chester's Voice

hahninator

inb4 thread title misleads people to think "omg he wants the setlists to be shorter". No, that's not it.

There are a few songs that need to be permanently dropped from Linkin Park's live show in my opinion to help save Chester's voice. The man is starting to struggle live (it does indeed show now) unfortunately but the band can certainly help him out by NOT playing.....

Let me know what you think and add others if you think they are applicable.

Crawling

Mike even has said this summer that Crawling is the first song to leave the setlist in favor of new songs from The Hunting Party. Crawling was good, but it was performed at every show from 2001-mid 2012 and no one is exactly missing it. It gives Chester quite a few problems these days and that's not exactly a secret.

New Divide

I think this one holds the record of times that Chester's voice has cracked on one song live. This has happened all the way back since 2010 and the Canberra 2010 version on the DSP had to even be replaced! They worked many days and nights to get the live debut audio of this one sounding good enough for MTV World Stage in 2009....let's just drop New Divide. With Until It's Gone in the setlist (aka another Transformers song) I see no need for New Divide. It pisses me off personally when it breaks up heavy songs in the setlist, like A Place For My Head, Given Up, New Divide, etc...fuck that. It's not ballad/singalong time after Given Up, LP. The nail in the coffin for this song is the fact that Chester now sings "GAVE MAY RAISIN" on the chorus (completely changing how he used to sing it)....OUCH.

Blackout

We all love Blackout just like the next person but having Chester scream like crazy (or attempt to) on this song is just not worth the damage it will do to him. I sound like an overprotective soccer mom here and I'd kill to see Blackout live, but the interlude works for me. I saw the band rehearse this song literally 10x in a row in 2011 for the ATS North American Tour rehearsal and it seems like it's a very hard song to sing.

Anything else, anyone? Given Up perhaps?

Given Up, Crawling, New Divide for sure. I don't think Blackout is really that tough with the way he sings it live, he's not nearly as aggressive with it as he is on the album.

A Light That Never Comes is really tough on Chester, but I'd at least like to see it stick around for one touring cycle just so it gets a chance.

Chester used to say years ago that With You was really hard for him to sing, but in comparison with some of the more recent stuff they've done, I don't think it's that bad.

Burn it Down is pretty tough on him (at least the chorus is), and it's never sounded that good live. Drop that and let COG be the "big single" song to represent Living Things in the live set. They kind of did the same thing with The Catalyst (which is also hard on Chester) and WFTE, they dropped the lead single that more people probably know and kept the one that sounded better live.

Drop Given Up because we have plenty of heavy songs from THP to take its place. The only reason New Divide is still around is probably because it has over 150 million views on youtube and was big song for the band's career. But we have other songs that sound like it now and are easier to sing. Take Burn It Down and put it into a new better ballad medley with PMA and BTH.

I don't see any reason to drop songs from the set, I would like him to use his voice as much as possible during the set. I use the songs he is not that good in, to compare them to earlier performances, and eventually state if he improved his singing or not. Faint bridge and ending/last chorus, ND, Numb bridge, Crawling, BIO ending, WY bridge and GU is the ones he struggles most with. He already saves his voice by letting crowd sing Numb bridge, WY bridge etc. I think he should visit a doctor or something, to let him know what should he do to save his voice. I would recommend him to stop smoking (if he still does). I think LP should shorten their set, but keep it more intensive. Another thing they should do, is rotating songs, to play many songs that hasn't been played because of shorter set, it would also make their shows more entertaining.

My only comment is that I don't understand why he can't sing his own songs but he sings covers like a motherfucking beast?

He said that LP songs is the hardest ones for him to sing.

Yeah drop Crawling fo'sure, and defiantly Burn it down/New divide. Thought I can't see it happening. :(

I'd be Okay if they dropped Given up too as much as I love that one. Keys to the Kingdom would be a welcome replacement

Only drop the excellence that is Given Up if they plan on bringing Keys To The Kingdom in full time. I used to say I would no longer go to LP shows if they dropped Given Up, but Keys could be an exception for that.

Crawling, New Divide, Given Up and Lost in The Echo.

I know the LP fans love the last one, but it make Chester have voice problems.

LITE doesn't have anything remotely hard for Chester to sing in it, and there isn't really any more screaming in it than a song like One Step Closer either.

Do you think LP would ever consider changing the key of songs like New Divide in order to make them less difficult for Chester? I understand that it could be tricky because of all the samples and various guitar tunings they use, but I'd rather hear Chester sing in a more comfortable key than what we have now.

Do you think LP would ever consider changing the key of songs like New Divide in order to make them less difficult for Chester? I understand that it could be tricky because of all the samples and various guitar tunings they use, but I'd rather hear Chester sing in a more comfortable key than what we have now.

I've been arguing for years that the band never should have started tuning the guitars to standard/Drop D instead of Eb/Drop C# on Minutes to Midnight. If they'd just transpose all the songs down half a step that aren't already tuned that way, it'd instantly make everything easier on Chester, AND they'd have fewer guitar changes to deal with. We've seen already that they can transpose songs by a half step when necessary - they tuned Numb/Encore down half a step for Paul McCartney since he traditionally sings Yesterday in F instead of F#, and they tuned the live version of My December up from D to Eb because the guitar on the studio version is in Drop C, which is a tuning they've never used for live performances. So obviously transposing the samples isn't an issue, they just don't choose to do it for whatever reason.

While I agree on the majority of the picks on this thread, I feel like I need to say, that Chester stepped up a little bit in comparison to the last few years.

And he REALLY surprised me singing every song on every STP show without any obvious issues. Seriously, I can think of only one or two times when his voice cracked during STP performance.

To a certain degree, STP songs are not as demanding as Linkin Park's, because there's not as much extreme notes and zero screaming, but they heavily rely on melodic singing and there's a lot of little nuances and switches before higher and lower register that not every singer can handle with ease.

Plus, I think Chester sounds better when he sings a little bit lower, even though it's not entirely natural for him. I think some parts in LP songs would sound better if Chester will try to sing them a little bit lower.

I've been arguing for years that the band never should have started tuning the guitars to standard/Drop D instead of Eb/Drop C# on Minutes to Midnight. If they'd just transpose all the songs down half a step that aren't already tuned that way, it'd instantly make everything easier on Chester, AND they'd have fewer guitar changes to deal with. We've seen already that they can transpose songs by a half step when necessary - they tuned Numb/Encore down half a step for Paul McCartney since he traditionally sings Yesterday in F instead of F#, and they tuned the live version of My December up from D to Eb because the guitar on the studio version is in Drop C, which is a tuning they've never used for live performances. So obviously transposing the samples isn't an issue, they just don't choose to do it for whatever reason.

I've always wondered why they've never gone back to Drop C# or Eb tunings since MTM. Is it cause of the strats they've been using? or is it just cause they want to shy away from their nü metal days as much as possible? :lol:

Some songs like Given Up need to be dropped for Chester's sake, but it's the screaming that we the fans love. Keep OSC, Faint, LITE.

Drop GU, ND, BID.

Chester doesn't scream the chorus to Crawling, like on the album, so I don't see how it's problematic for him.

Solution to Chester's voice: just have Mike sing lead vocals and Chester play guitar. (That's just a joke.)

Blackout needs to go. I hate to say it but Mike hasn't really nailed his section of the song either. Crawling and Given Up for the reasons everyone else has stated. Bleed It Out should be booted from the encore. Although they have done more interesting things with it than One Step Closer, I'm almost tired of hearing it at this point.

Edited by Sonic

Given Up, Crawling, New Divide, Burn It Down, and A Light That Never Comes. Toss em. Chester has a bad day with these.

They could drop every one of those songs if they just play Keys To The Kingdom. That would make me so happy.

It's a pity that Chester has some difficult on singing highest notes. That is reason for songs like The Catalyst, No More Sorrow, Crawling, When They Come For Me being dropped.

For me the band should drop:

Given Up: I love this song but every time destroyes Chester voice.
Points Of Authority: Absolutely love this song too, but, especially in the last couple of chorus, Chester forces himself very hard.
New Divide: It has become horrible live. And i would drop it anyway since we have What I've Done in the set.
A Light That Never Comes: Never like it both studio and live.
Burn It Down: See A Light That Never Comes