Singles

Skipees

Read all of your posts in this thread, why you're trying to prove that he's worng instead that you're right? It's okay that you jumped into a subject that you have almost zero idea about, but you need to stop when you feel it's too far.

I agree. I get you don't agree with what he said, and I also admit it was pretty illogical to say that. But to carry on about it for this long is just dragging it on for the sake of arguing. One or two posts is fine, but it gets to a point where you're beating a dead horse. The only progress we've made is you scolding a collector who's been in the game for over a decade because he considers what a "promotional single" is differs from what you think. Perhaps if you established what YOU believe a promotional single clearly (I know you said it, but it wasn't very much of a point you made) this would have been resolved easier. Calling someone (mind you, who's first language isn't even English) elitist, condescending, and ignorant isn't exactly fair on his part either. And elitist? Really?

Before this thread becomes anymore of a minefield, let's discuss something productive: Are we considering With You a promotional single or not?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps if you established what YOU believe a promotional single clearly (I know you said it, but it wasn't very much of a point you made) this would have been resolved easier.

But that's not my argument. That's why this has dragged on for so long. Because no one has acknowledged that I've not said once that With You is a promo single, nor did I even say what I thought what a promo single is. I said it's illogical to say it can't be. Cut and dry. That's what frustrates me so.

I go back to Pokeball now, thank you.

Edited by Lorde-Wobbuffet

Maybe I'm wrong and With You is not a promo single. I'm not sure, but since I saw that in a lot of websites and Chester saying it made me believe that I was correct. IDK, someone else decide if WY is a promo single yes or no.

LMFAO this thread just exploded.

Here's what I think:

1 - LPA wiki is not a reliable source and since it was created all its bullshit has been slowly spreading on wikipedia, making it another non-reliable source.

2 - Yes, Chester said "With You" was a promotional single, but:

2.1 - Most bands have no say in what their singles will be.

2.2 - I'm gonna quote Mike again: "Contrary to popular belief, none of us actually know what we're talking about. FYI". This wouldn't be the first time any band member had given us wrong information.

3 - What are we listing here?
3.1 - Official singles;

3.2 - Digital singles: singles which were ONLY released on digital format;
3.3 - Promotional singles: radio airplay/radio CD or music video or promo CD promoting the song.

I don't think the Hybrid Theory (both band and album) samplers should count since they weren't intended to promote one single song.

Since there's no known promo CD for "With You", I think it shouldn't be included.

You guys really need a definition list :P Promo single would be any promo cd with particular song on it to promote this song(a.k.a. single) and this song only/mainly. We had some debates at lpcatalog over few things that have to be elswhere and not in the current place they are in, example: promo cassettes - > one of them is mentioned, With You/PoA promo cassette. Most of the time we would say it's a "single" promo to promote in example With You or Points BUT based on the time each item has been released (+ -) we can't place it in singles for simple reason: there isn't any single (other than OSC) to promote at the time in the first place. With that, the answer is simple too: album promo Same thing applies to cassette sampler StaticXero posted above, that's why it is in promo section for the HT album and not in (trololo) Forgotten as a promo single.

There are many items that we have to think about and finally decide where to place them. Another example: 3-Song E.P. We would normally say that it's a promo cd for HT with three tracks on it, but wait, theres One Step Closer graphic on the back and the cd is very similiar to PRO-CD-100323. Also people did already know at the time that new single, later known as One Step Closer single is coming. The best thing for us would be to obtain the exact release date list of every official single/album (and I'm not talking here about the official US/Global release dates cause that's pure bullshit) With that we could easily create (we're currently working on such thing on lpcatalog) a releases "tree" with everything LP has ever released.

Then there is the arguement: single/digital single/promo. We did get some questions "Why is the Lost in the Echo placed in singles (with it's own cover) and not in the Misc folder, where there was no physical single for it?" Answer: We try to not include digital singles in lpcatalog for a simple reason: how can You add a digital single to Your collecion? I believe it was martinez who pointed out that we could add digital singles but on the other hand everyone could say they have it right? LPcatalog is not only the list of LP/ and related to LP releases but also a place for collectors to manage their collections. The reason LITE and GATS are there is that they do have digital singles (they have been played over the radio stations), but also they do have physical promo cds. Also it's just so we know what and where to look for :P Any other questions? Ask and let's have a debate.

Edit: Also Lorde-Wobbuffet has a point, we can't tell for sure if anything does or doesn't exist, example: Meteora Instrumentals promo :) We had no idea such thing was out there!

Edited by michalangelo

we can't tell for sure if anything does or doesn't exist, example: Meteora Instrumentals promo :) We had no idea such thing was out there!

The main question is still if the CD is even legit. Just because a picture was posted doesn't prove that it's real. The "content" is legitimate but that doesn't prove that the CD is real either. Why would an instrumental CD be a promo when they license these off? There are promos with a few instrumentals companioning the song to be promoted but not entire albums, that makes no sense. If it was in fact used for promotion we would have known about this for years.

With that, the answer is simple too: album promo Same thing applies to cassette sampler StaticXero posted above, that's why it is in promo section for the HT album and not in (trololo) Forgotten as a promo single.

But couldn't that be said for every single in theory? I'm not trying to refute your point, but all the individual singles are meant to promote the album as a whole, are they not? It's promoting songs from the album in order to get some attention to the album the single came from, right? Does that makes sense or am I just blathering again?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Didn't they hand out Wastelands CDs at a concert? Were those just blank CD cases without artwork, and that's why it's just a digital single?

Well, if CDs were sold then we can consider it as physical single.

Idk but does the band consider the UFC video as Music Video for Wastelands?

Well, if CDs were sold then we can consider it as physical single.

Idk but does the band consider the UFC video as Music Video for Wastelands?

CDs weren't sold. Mike threw out some CDs with Wastelands on it at Rock In Rio when he would normally rap over the transition between Wastelands and Runaway. It's just a digital single in my opinion.

CDs weren't sold. Mike threw out some CDs with Wastelands on it at Rock In Rio when he would normally rap over the transition between Wastelands and Runaway. It's just a digital single in my opinion.

Then,yeah its a digital single.

Linkin-Park-One-Step-Closer-191465.jpg

Is this original or Fanmade?

• 2 months later...

After I did some reading I've decided to keep only POA, LFY and LGM as promotional singles.

If someone still thinks that LFY should be considered a regular single I need an explanation how is that different from the other two.

About H! Vltg3, the vinyl has a barcode which means it was sold somewhere (right?), so we should consider it a single too?

• 1 year later...

So, there are 29 singles released physically (including It's Goin' Down) and 8 singles released digitally.

Released only digitally are:

Lost In The Echo
Powerless
Guilty All The Same
Rebellion
Wastelands
Rolling In The Deep
Not Alone
Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You

• 1 year later...

Do you guys think that the reason, why the label don't release each single on the CD nowadays is money?

I think no matter is what song the artist choose to be a single, the label will always say "yes", but the label will decide in which way release the single, if there will be physical single, digital or just music video.