Singles

Skipees

Wretches and Kings wasn't a single. LP released the song as a stream to the public in the period between the release of The Catalyst and the waiting for the album. You know, to promote the album. An example is this. I'll Be Gone got some good airplay on KROQ, in the first quarter of 2013. But it was only on that station and nowhere else. Pretty strange. It wasn't a single though.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wretches and Kings wasn't a single. LP released the song as a stream to the public in the period between the release of The Catalyst and the waiting for the album. You know, to promote the album. An example is this. I'll Be Gone got some good airplay on KROQ, in the first quarter of 2013. But it was only on that station and nowhere else. Pretty strange. It wasn't a single though.

Based on what you said, they both promos.

You know a lot about the radio. :)

POWERLESS was a promo single in Australia, I believe. Recieved a lot of radio play.

It's already there as iTunes single, so there's point to put it in two categories. Almost all the official singles released as promo too.

It's already there as iTunes single, so there's point to put it in two categories. Almost all the official singles released as promo too.

But it was released as an *official* single in a specific region while it was solely promotional in others.

Based on what you said, they both promos.

You know a lot about the radio. :)

I wouldn't say that they're promo singles. Wretches and Kings didn't got a release, no airplay and you couldn't download it. It was only a stream. Just a song that was uploaded, nothing more. And in the case of I'll Be Gone, I'd say that it's more like an album track that got some airplay instead of being a promo single. It was more the choice of KROQ.

I'm interested in singles, sales and such so yeah :)

I wouldn't say that they're promo singles. Wretches and Kings didn't got a release, no airplay and you couldn't download it. It was only a stream. Just a song that was uploaded, nothing more.

Is that matter if it's on radio, TV or internet? I mean there is a chance that more people listen to it online (compare to if it ws on the radio). So it serve the purpose of promoting the album.

And in the case of I'll Be Gone, I'd say that it's more like an album track that got some airplay instead of being a promo single. It was more the choice of KROQ.

Radio station have the rights to play any song that they want, or they need permission?

Wasn't Crawling w/ Chris Cornell (LPU8 exclusive) and Hunger Strike w/ Chester (Songs From The Underground) both mixed for radio singles in 2008? I remember reading that somewhere.

Pooch said that but I think this was just a cover up story for the later release. Or that was just what they told him.

Radio station have the rights to play any song that they want, or they need permission?

Quite often radio stations play other songs from albums. It's nothing unusual. If they have the whole album they can play it.

Is that matter if it's on radio, TV or internet? I mean there is a chance that more people listen to it online (compare to if it ws on the radio). So it serve the purpose of promoting the album.

But there's a difference between putting out a song of the album for people to listen to, and a single. Wretches and Kings was the first. Ofcourse, it will promote the album but it isn't neccesarily a single. I think another important factor in being a single is that is has to be released on a format. For instance, radio (airplay) or downloads (sales). That wasn't the case with Wretches and Kings.

Radio stations are allowed to play any song they want from albums, except when it is limited to a release date. But the weird thing is, why did KROQ made the choice to play I'll Be Gone even though it wasn't an official single nor to promote a related event (AAC was already in the past).

So I'll Be Gone is out.

Yep.

For pre-orders only probably.

I think so.

I think another important factor in being a single is that is has to be released on a format. For instance, radio (airplay) or downloads (sales). That wasn't the case with Wretches and Kings.

I can say: Radio (airplay), downloads (sales) or online (stream). But let's leave it lol. W&K is out, thanks for all the information. :)

I can say: Radio (airplay), downloads (sales) or online (stream). But let's leave it lol. W&K is out, thanks for all the information. :)

In theory you're right. But streams didn't count back then (if you were referring to charts), they do since this year. Glad I could help out.

One noteworthy one missing from the list is that there was a CD single released for Leave Out All the Rest from Road to Revolution. Lying From You was more or less released the same way from Live in Texas, except radio stations played the studio version while TV stations used the live video from LIT. Not really sure what the reasoning there was, other than maybe the idea that radio stations wouldn't want to play a live track.

One noteworthy one missing from the list is that there was a CD single released for Leave Out All the Rest from Road to Revolution. Lying From You was more or less released the same way from Live in Texas, except radio stations played the studio version while TV stations used the live video from LIT. Not really sure what the reasoning there was, other than maybe the idea that radio stations wouldn't want to play a live track.

You're right, the live version was a single as well. I have the cover art. I remember that you could also download it for free. The difference with Lying From You is that the video of the song was a live footage from Live in Texas and the song sent to the stations was the studio version. Just like Numb/Encore.

I believe that the band said at the time that the sudden surge in requests for LFY on radio resulted in the band/label releasing it as a single in summer 2004, when Breaking The Habit was either just released or right before it was released. I remember it was all over the radio in Atlanta and it still is to this day the LP song I hear the most on the radio by far. Well, until Project 96.1 went under haha. The band said the live video from LIT was released for it because they didn't have time to do a proper music video for it.

The one I had was like the RtR cover, but it had "Leave Out All the Rest (live)" written below.

The only thing that similar to this (that I know) is the RTR sampler.

Edit:

This?

---

Added:

Leave Out All The Rest (Live)