15.08.2013 - Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong (LPU Summit #9)

The Asian Tour is halfway over! Linkin Park's fourth show of the six show tour takes them to Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong to the Asia-World Arena. Chek Lap Kok is an island in Hong Kong where the Hong Kong International Airport sits. The Asia-World Expo is also located there, which contains the Asia-World Arena - the spot of the Linkin Park show. This will be the band's fourth show in Hong Kong, playing there three times before, once in 2004 (show page here), once in 2007 (show page here), and the first show of the 2011 A Thousand Suns Asian Tour (show page here).

Hong Kong is lucky on this tour, as they are able to have three Linkin Park-related events in three days. Day one of the LPU Summit on the 13th featured a Music For Relief activity in Hong Kong, which looked pretty fun. Attendees even got to hang out with Lorenzo and explore Hong Kong with him. The 14th will feature the third LPU Meetup event (after Los Angeles and Tokyo) at Hong Kong's Hard Rock Cafe. Finally, on the 15th, the band will host the ninth LPU Summit at the venue for fans. At this event, we expect fans to be able to walk across the stage and interact with the gear, meet Linkin Park, and witness either a soundcheck or an acoustic performance. This will be the first LPU Summit since Auckland earlier this year and the second (and probably final one) in 2013.

As a recap, the last show in Manila on the 13th featured a slightly different Set B. 'Lying From You' appeared in full in the encore for the first time, but as a result of the full 'Papercut' and the full 'Lying From You' being in the setlist, 'VICTIMIZED (w/ QWERTY)' and 'The Catalyst' are now gone. What do you think? Do you like the new Set B better than the old Set B, or vice versa?

This show is completely sold out! The Hong Kong Linkin Park fan account linkinparkhk will be live tweeting updates during the Summit and the show. Earlier in the tour, we saw Festival Set A played in Osaka at Summer Sonic (show page here), so it's likely Hong Kong will see either another performance of the full Set B or a full Set A. The first verse of 'Reading My Eyes' has been interesting so far....appearing in Los Angeles, being skipped in Tokyo, coming back in Osaka and being skipped again in Manila. Will it be over 'Bleed It Out' in Hong Kong? What do you think?

After this show, Linkin Park closes the tour with a show in Taipei on the 17th and a show in Kuala Lumpur on the 19th. For the full 2013 tour schedule including past dates and setlists and upcoming tour dates, click here.

LPU SUMMIT SOUNDCHECK SETLIST:

01. VICTIMIZED (w/ QWERTY)

02. The Catalyst

03. In The End (Intro Only; Aborted)

SHOW SETLIST:

01. TINFOIL

02. Faint (Ext. Outro)

03. Papercut

04. Given Up (Ext. Outro w/ Extra Note)

05. With You (2012 Scratch Intro; Ext. Scratch Outro)

06. Somewhere I Belong (2012 Intro)

07. New Divide

08. VICTIMIZED (w/ QWERTY)

09. Points Of Authority

10. LIES GREED MISERY

11. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' v2; Wall of Noise Outro)

12. Breaking The Habit

13. CASTLE OF GLASS

14. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)

15. The Catalyst

16. LOST IN THE ECHO (2012 Intro)

17. Numb (Outro 'Numb/Encore' Lyrics Tease (Mike/Chester)

18. What I've Done

19. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)

--------------------------------------------

20. BURN IT DOWN

21. In The End

22. Bleed It Out (Ext. Intro; Ext. Bridge w/ 'Reading My Eyes' v1; Ext. Outro)

Setlist pictures here and here.

- The band performed two sounds as a soundcheck for LPU Summit attendees. 'In The End' was started by Joe but the band stopped it to do the Q&A session instead.

- First performances of 'VICTIMIZED (w/ QWERTY)' and 'The Catalyst' since March and February, respectively.

- The first verse of 'Reading My Eyes' returned over the bridge of 'Bleed It Out'.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't SPECIFICALLY miss The Catalyst, but I'm honestly VERY surprised at how quickly the band abandoned playing almost the entirety of A Thousand Suns live. At the very least, I figured The Catalyst/WFTE/Iridescent would all be setlist staples for years. They've also completely ditched two of their best live songs in WTCFM and Blackout.

Also, for the love of what little is still right in the world, PLEASE ditch Given Up and Lies Greed Misery. The former is destroying Chester's voice more and more every night and sounds like shit these days, the latter is just an all-around terrible song that has no business being played live in favor of nearly every other song on Living Things that isn't currently in the set. Ditch those two and bring back In My Remains and WTCFM, and this is an excellent setlist.

Edited by Astat

Also, for the love of what little is still right in the world, PLEASE ditch Given Up and Lies Greed Misery. The former is destroying Chester's voice more and more every night and sounds like shit these days, the latter is just an all-around terrible song that has no business being played live in favor of nearly every other song on Living Things that isn't currently in the set. Ditch those two and bring back In My Remains and WTCFM, and this is an excellent setlist.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't SPECIFICALLY miss The Catalyst, but I'm honestly VERY surprised at how quickly the band abandoned playing almost the entirety of A Thousand Suns live. At the very least, I figured The Catalyst/WFTE/Iridescent would all be setlist staples for years. They've also completely ditched two of their best live songs in WTCFM and Blackout.

+1

Astat would you (and everyone else) like to see No More Sorrow instead of Given Up? I feel like NMS with that long intro, even if it was played from 2007-2011 (over four years), was still an amazing song live.

I agree about WTCFM. Mike on that song is legendary ("sing that shit motherfuckers!")...his energy is all over the stage and the song comes off flawlessly live. Blackout is my favorite song on ATS and I'd love to see it live and back in the setlists, even if Chester wasn't NAILING it live, but he sure was sounding good.

LGM I have disliked ever since it debuted in Lisbon. Even seeing it six times live did nothing for me. I'm not a fan of it and Chester doesn't even scream the end like he does on the studio version.

I liked Catalyst a lot and I am surprised it's not in the setlists anymore either. I'd rather see that than WFTE. It's a shame they only opened with Fallout and Catalyst at two shows....that was a neat opener.

For me, if they swapped LGM for Blackout, GU for NMS and added WTCFM, it'd be an epic set.

Astat would you (and everyone else) like to see No More Sorrow instead of Given Up? I feel like NMS with that long intro, even if it was played from 2007-2011 (over four years), was still an amazing song live.

I agree about WTCFM. Mike on that song is legendary ("sing that shit motherfuckers!")...his energy is all over the stage and the song comes off flawlessly live. Blackout is my favorite song on ATS and I'd love to see it live and back in the setlists, even if Chester wasn't NAILING it live, but he sure was sounding good.

LGM I have disliked ever since it debuted in Lisbon. Even seeing it six times live did nothing for me. I'm not a fan of it and Chester doesn't even scream the end like he does on the studio version.

I liked Catalyst a lot and I am surprised it's not in the setlists anymore either. I'd rather see that than WFTE. It's a shame they only opened with Fallout and Catalyst at two shows....that was a neat opener.

For me, if they swapped LGM for Blackout, GU for NMS and added WTCFM, it'd be an epic set.

Yeah, if you did a straight swap of MTM songs, I'd take NMS over Given Up. I feel like that song sort of overstayed its welcome by the end of the ATS tour, but it was still a solid performance nearly every night (save for when Chester screwed up the ending, he randomly started doing that a lot on the ATS tour), and for a non-single, people really seemed to react positively to it. Great part of the light show too.

But alas, Given Up was a single, so according to the band's (warped) logic, that automatically makes it a superior song to No More Sorrow, even if Given Up only charted at #99, was all but gone from rock radio within a couple months of its release, and hasn't been a particularly big crowd pleaser at shows for the last couple years...

Sucks that The Catalyst is gone #PrayForTheCatalyst

I agree with what's been said already

I think:

Remove LIES GREED MISERY, bring back IN MY REMAINS

Remove Given Up, bring back No More Sorrow

and put The Catalyst in!

Edited by LINKINMARK

So we moved on from Brad not being in a good mood on stage? haha

I think Catalyst was a great live song, I liked it. They should have kicked out LGM a while ago, there's no reason to keep the song in there, it's just not good enough live. IMR was really good too.

Watch them debut Set D at this show lmao.

I'd take NMS over GU any day. What Mark said in terms of rotating songs, I agree 100%. And I can't stress enough how Numb needs to be replaced by ROADS UNTRAVELED or POWERLESS. Let us get tired of one of those songs before you bring Numb back.

So we moved on from Brad not being in a good mood on stage? haha

I think Catalyst was a great live song, I liked it. They should have kicked out LGM a while ago, there's no reason to keep the song in there, it's just not good enough live. IMR was really good too.

Brad's probably the most hit-or-miss member of the band in terms of stage presence, except for maybe Joe. Chester and Mike always bring the energy, Phoenix is USUALLY pretty good about it, and Rob...well, he does what he can while sitting down, haha. Joe seems to go through phases where he's totally uninterested for a streak of multiple shows, then randomly gets his energy back. Brad is totally random from night to night though.

Hmm.. if LP drops Given Up, I probably won't even go to live shows anymore. It's definitely my favorite song that LP plays live because of the awesome fucking energy and I'm not one of those guys who gets super technical whenever Chester isn't perfect live. LGM I could care less about.

Hmm.. if LP drops Given Up, I probably won't even go to live shows anymore. It's definitely my favorite song that LP plays live because of the awesome fucking energy and I'm not one of those guys who gets super technical whenever Chester isn't perfect live. LGM I could care less about.

I like Given Up, but the band was much better with it back in 07-08. Now, Chester seems to struggle a bit with it. If it wasn't a single, they would have dropped it before NMS.

I pretty much forgot it was a single lol.

Without drastic changes here's a better version of that set. The problem is that it was 24 songs last year including Empty Spaces. So with COG replacing IMR, full Papercut and full LFY, and dropping two songs, it's impossible to get it all back in there with 24 songs. So something has to go. Numb, it's about time for you to take a nap :P

01. A Place For My Head

02. Papercut

03. No More Sorrow

04. Somewhere I Belong

05. New Divide

06. Empty Spaces

07. When They Come For Me

08. With You

09. VICTIMIZED (w/ QWERTY)

10. Points Of Authority

11. Waiting For The End

12. Breaking The Habit

13. CASTLE OF GLASS

14. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent

15. The Catalyst

16. LOST IN THE ECHO

17. What I've Done

18. BURN IT DOWN

19. In The End

20. Bleed It Out (w/ RME)

------------------------

21. TINFOIL

22. Faint

23. Lying From You

24. One Step Closer

I'd love to do the LFY/Papercut/VICTIMIZED/QWERTY combo again but I guess that's unrealistic. I guess dropping Numb is unrealistic too. Maybe this whole set is unrealistic. Fuck, they just play too many singles.

You always say the same comment when someone talks about removing GU from the setlist

C'mon one song is not everything lol

You always say the same comment when someone talks about removing GU from the setlist

C'mon one song is not everything lol

I say it because I love Given Up. I am sure someday they will remove it. I guess I would still probably go to the shows, it would just upset me. They'll probably always play What I've Done, so I can go for that song too.

I say it because I love Given Up. I am sure someday they will remove it. I guess I would still probably go to the shows, it would just upset me. They'll probably always play What I've Done, so I can go for that song too.

I would argue about Given Up, but I feel the same about COG. If they drop it before I see it live, I'll be really upset.

I would argue about Given Up, but I feel the same about COG. If they drop it before I see it live, I'll be really upset.

I hope they don't drop COG live. It sounds great live IMO, and it's also a single and was also used in MOH. I prefer it to many other slower LP songs in the set. I'm willing to bet when they start touring for the 6th album that the only LT songs that will stay are BID, LITE and COG. Those were the 3 singles and they are all great songs.