10.08.2013 - Chiba City, Japan - Summer Sonic

The first show of Linkin Park's Asia Tour takes the band to Tokyo, where they will play Summer Sonic on the 10th. LP is in for both Summer Sonic shows, meaning they'll also play on the 11th in Osaka. This time, they'll be playing just before Metallica, but no worries, they'll get a full set as they usually do when they open for Metallica.

Linkin Park's first appearances at Summer Sonic came in 2006, when they took a break from the studio during the Minutes To Midnight sessions to play four shows in Japan - a headlining show at Tokyo's Zepp (show page here) (which is what Muse is doing along with their Summer Sonic shows), Summer Sonic in Osaka (show page here) and Tokyo (show page here), and Summer Sonic After in Sendai (show page here).

Finally, three years after the show, we tracked this down with the help of our friend Felipe:

The 2006 shows are regarded among the fans as having one of the best setlists the band has ever played, with 'Reading My Eyes' making its live debut, 'QWERTY' kicking ass at four shows in a show, 'Breaking The Habit' closing the set, and many other changes. LP returned to Summer Sonic in 2009 on their short Summer Tour. These two shows, Tokyo (show page here) and Osaka (show page here), featured Dead By Sunrise playing their three song encore. Linkin Park's last appearance in Japan came at the end of the A Thousand Suns World Tour in September 2011, where they played two nights in Tokyo (with the 5th LPU Summit being held),, one night apiece in Yokohama, Nagoya and Osaka, and a special A Thousand Horizons event in Tokyo.

Along with this show, there will be two Linkin Park-related events on August 9th. First, the band will appear at the BAPE Store in Shibuya. Here is the LPU announcement on it: "To celebrate Linkin Park's collaboration with BAPE, the band will be appearing at BAPE STORE SHABUYA on Friday August, 9th at 7pm. This very exclusive signing event is first come, first served for customers who purchase the A BATHING APE x LINKIN PARK T-shirt." The second event is the LPU Meetup at the Hard Rock in Tokyo later that day.

The last Linkin Park show, the Sunset Strip Music Festival on August 3rd (show page here), featured a very similar setlist to what the band played at the Melbourne, Australia Soundwave show in March (show page here). 'A Place For My Head' and 'Papercut' opened the show, with 'Bleed It Out' (w/ the 'Reading My Eyes' bridge), 'Faint', and 'One Step Closer' closing the show. Will the band continue to use this setlist on the Asia Tour? Or will they change it up and play something different? Will any other songs off of LIVING THINGS debut?

The full Summer Sonic lineup can be found here. LP will play before Metallica and after Fall Out Boy, Volbeat, Maximum The Hormone, One Ok Rock, and Volbeat. After this show, the band plays Osaka on the 11th before heading to the Manila, Hong Kong, Taipei and Kuala Lumpur to close out the short six show tour.

SETLIST:

01. A Place For My Head (Long Intro; Ext. Outro)

02. Papercut

03. Given Up (Ext. Outro w/ Extra Note)

04. New Divide

05. With You (2012 Ext. Intro; Ext. Scratch Outro)

06. Somewhere I Belong (2012 Intro)

07. LIES GREED MISERY

08. Points Of Authority

09. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' v2; Wall of Noise Outro)

10. Breaking The Habit

11. CASTLE OF GLASS

12. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)

13. LOST IN THE ECHO

14. Numb (Outro 'Numb/Encore' Lyrics Tease (Mike/Chester))

15. What I've Done

16. BURN IT DOWN

17. In The End

18. Bleed It Out (Ext Intro; Ext. Bridge; Ext. Outro)

19. Faint (Ext. Outro)

20. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they'll use the same setlist(s) they were using in Australia. Rotate between this Festival Set B thing they had at SSMF, a Festival Set A, and a headline Set A. I don't think they'll play POWERLESS or any other LIVING THINGS songs. In my opinion, they would have debuted it/them at SSMF if that were the case.

I think there's gonna be another set. We've yet to see Set A.

Yeah. That might be where they will play POWERLESS.

I doubt I'll be here for this one. Going on vacation until the 12th.

But, then who will be our setlist enthusiast? Edited by CASTLE OF GLASS

I think they'll use the same setlist(s) they were using in Australia. Rotate between this Festival Set B thing they had at SSMF, a Festival Set A, and a headline Set A. I don't think they'll play POWERLESS or any other LIVING THINGS songs. In my opinion, they would have debuted it/them at SSMF if that were the case.

100% this.

I really hope they play some new Living Things songs in the solo Shows but in the Summer Sonic Festival i don't really think they will play some new stuff, plus they play before Metallica so, they need to play a strong set.

Mike did give some hints of "I'll be Gone" being played live in some LPU chats, i'm betting that'll be played at Summer Sonic. Maybe even Powerless too. I'd love the full version of Until it Breaks to be played too!

They rehearsed Set A on July 30. Remember the picture Digby tweeted? I bet we'll get that at the headlining shows, so the last 4 shows of the tour. Summer Sonic I think both shows will get the same setlist - the one SSMF got.

It's interesting all 3 years LP played Summer Sonic they will be years the band plays the same setlist at each show. 2006, 2009, 2013. If they played it in like 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011 or 2012, they'd each have different setlists lol