Is it over with Linkin Park?

I know it might be too early to speak about that, but I made my thoughts about it anyway. If you feel unconfortable to speak about this topic, just ignore it for the moment.

The really sad news from yesterday told us that we now have to live in a world without Chester Bennington (It's still really hard for me to write these lines). But what does that mean for Linkin Park? Chester's voice was, at least for me, the thing that made the band awesome for me. He and Mike were like 90% of the band. Now at least 50% of the band are gone, so what does that mean for Linkin Park?

There are basically three possibilities that I consider:

1. They break up

2. They go on just with 5 members

3. They are going to look for a new lead singer

For me, 2. is the unlikeliest since that means that they can't perform all the old songs with Chester as lead singer. I think 3. is the likeliest, since they have a really huge fan base and there are good singers out there who probably can take Chesters role. One thing is for sure: Linkin Park will never be the same without Chester Bennington. I don't know yet if I could listen to LP with a new singer. But otherway, I would be sad if I couldn't hear Mike again.

What are your thoughts about this?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the band will now take a break. Maybe they'll release some kind of box-set or something. Maybe the record label will release a compilation. What about the new vocalist, maybe the band will ask fans about that, but not right now, maybe in 2 years or something.

This is so tough to answer. They can get a new singer, it could be OK for most of us fans but I don't know how that feels.

They could go on as 5 making music in 4/5 years only with Mike as their lead singer. I know that this sounds crazy but we know how good Mike can be - One problem is that most of their songs were made for Chester and not for Mike. You cannot do this like A7X where they put a 10 second playback into their live set, because their former drummer is not there anymore.

I don't see them 'breaking' up. This is not even the right term. They are not a built boyband, they are friends who know each other for their whole live.

I'm really curious for their statement. I see them taking a long break for 2/3 years and then decide what to do.

I hope they will continue making music. It's like a light at the end of the tunnel after the information about Chester's death. I can't imagine that there won't be new Linkin Park album anymore. I know it'll never be the same again but I need to see at least one more Linkin Park album in the future, even in 10 years, but I know that I need it.

The thing is that I don't want them to waste their talents...Of couse Mike could do his FM thing but what's with all these other guys? I know that this loss his hard but they still can write songs as 5....It is easy to write but technically they are capeable of doing it but it is a question whether they wanna do it or not.

I don't want Chester's death to mean the end of Linkin Park but I can't imagine them with another singer. Going forward with Mike as the sole vocalist isn't realistic in my opinion. He just doesn't have the range that Chester does and his singing voice is more suitable to a complimentary role with the occasional lead vocal. Getting another singer wouldn't be the same but it would at least allow the band to continue. Chester is one of my favorite vocalists of all time and probably the most talented among bands that I actively listen to.

At any rate I hope we continue to get music from Mike and Brad if nothing else - whether that be LP, Fort Minor, or something else entirely. The band existed before Chester joined them but they never would have gotten this big without him. The moment that hooked me to Linkin Park was Chester screaming over the bridge of One Step Closer.

This is so hard to write about. I still can't believe he's gone....

I don't think they will get another lead singer, and honestly I wouldn't want them to. I would be very uncomfortable calling it Linkin Park with any other lead singer. If the five of them wanted to release LP8 without him, that would feel kind of wrong to me, but I would definitely still listen to it. I think the only way LP8 would be feel right to me is if at least a few of the songs have Chester's vocals from demos we've never heard before. They have recorded so much I believe they must have at least a few album-worthy songs with Chester's lead vocals.

Aside from that, I think the best thing they could do going forward would be for the five of them to become the new Fort Minor. The name is well-known, and after Welcome they have a lot of freedom in where they could go next. I think between Mike's rapping and singing, with maybe some gang vocals from the rest of the band, they could pull off a FM album really well with the five of them.

I don't think they will get another lead singer, and honestly I wouldn't want them to. I would be very uncomfortable calling it Linkin Park with any other lead singer. If the five of them wanted to release LP8 without him, that would feel kind of wrong to me, but I would definitely still listen to it. I think the only way LP8 would be feel right to me is if at least a few of the songs have Chester's vocals from demos we've never heard before. They have recorded so much I believe they must have at least a few album-worthy songs with Chester's lead vocals.

Aside from that, I think the best thing they could do going forward would be for the five of them to become the new Fort Minor. The name is well-known, and after Welcome they have a lot of freedom in where they could go next. I think between Mike's rapping and singing, with maybe some gang vocals from the rest of the band, they could pull off a FM album really well with the five of them.

So many question...it's tough. What wanted Chester for the rest of the guys? I can imagine that he wants the other 5 guys to continue and be free and continue making music. They can use their talent and luckly they have Mike, a now really good singer and rapper. I would not want to make such a decision...

[...]

I don't see them 'breaking' up. This is not even the right term. They are not a built boyband, they are friends who know each other for their whole live. [...]

I also thought that "break up" is maybe the wrong term, but since my English skills aren't that advanced (yet), I just called it this way. It was hard for me anyway when I wrote the text.

Personally, I hope they'll look for a new singer, that has a similar voice like Chester in his early years. This is going to be hard to find, but I think it is possible. Just look at all the nice singers at YouTube doing Linkin Park covers.

God this sucks even admitting this isn't a hypothetical questions like it was in the past:

I think that they will release one more album and a boxset of greatest hits and the last of the LP vault's best. They have enough of his vocals to make songs work. I think Mike would want to honor Chester with an album of him completely on vocals as his last. From there, who knows. I doubt Mike stops making music. I have been clamoring for FM to make music for ten years now but even the prospect of that at the moment is too sad for me to get excited for.

I don't know why you don't want Linkin Park to continue. I can't even imagine that "One More Light" is the last album of the band. I know it won't be the same without Chester and I don't want them to make album in two years or something like this. They should take their time to think about all these tragic things and take a new singer, at least in my opinion. It would be hard to see Linkin Park on stage without Chester, I still can't believe that he's gone forever but it will be better for me (and I believe for many fans) if they'll release many albums in the future and OML wasn't the last. I know (at least I hope) that Chester would want Mike, Brad, Rob, Dave and Joe still make music as Linkin Park and would have nothing against it. Even if they'll take a long break after Chester's death, it'll be so great to watch five of Linkin Park even in five or six years.

I don't know why you don't want Linkin Park to continue. I can't even imagine that "One More Light" is the last album of the band. I know it won't be the same without Chester and I don't want them to make album in two years or something like this. They should take their time to think about all these tragic things and take a new singer, at least in my opinion. It would be hard to see Linkin Park on stage without Chester, I still can't believe that he's gone forever but it will be better for me (and I believe for many fans) if they'll release many albums in the future and OML wasn't the last. I know (at least I hope) that Chester would want Mike, Brad, Rob, Dave and Joe still make music as Linkin Park and would have nothing against it. Even if they'll take a long break after Chester's death, it'll be so great to watch five of Linkin Park even in five or six years.

Totally agree. I don't think Chester wanted Mike and rest if the guys to stop doing music. They have to do something. They have the talent ! But please take a break for 3/4 years.