Chester Joins Stone Temple Pilots

Xero21

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some people did. i've found someone who did, but he recorded only one song :mellow: .

Sucks. Maybe if STP actually announced they would be playing a show with Chester as the new lead singer, more people would have tried to record it.

Edited by Geki

I also think it's stupid for him to kind of ditch out on LP and LP fans for some washed up 90's rock band that hasn't done anything memorable in years, but that's my opinion alone.

they bring Chester to their band. wait for the album to come out and see if it will be memorable or not.

I also think it's stupid for him to kind of ditch out on LP and LP fans for some washed up 90's rock band that hasn't done anything memorable in years, but that's my opinion alone.

That's not really fair. I wasn't aware that he ditched out on LP, but on top of that, STP was one of his favorite band growing up. Of course he'd want to join them. As you can tell from my username, I love the Lakers. They sucked this year. If they offered me the opportunity to replace Kobe Bryant, who is injured right now, I would still jump to take it. Why would anyone turn down one of their life dreams?

That's not really fair. I wasn't aware that he ditched out on LP, but on top of that, STP was one of his favorite band growing up. Of course he'd want to join them. As you can tell from my username, I love the Lakers. They sucked this year. If they offered me the opportunity to replace Kobe Bryant, who is injured right now, I would still jump to take it. Why would anyone turn down one of their life dreams?

LP is king.

Edited by Geki

I wasn't aware that he ditched out on LP

That's because he hasn't. Again, LP's barely doing anything this summer. Who knows what the Mall soundtrack even is - if it's instrumental, then automatically Chester doesn't have to be there and he won't be there. STP isn't LP, they can throw together an album in three months, especially now that Scott's not in the band. Touring/recording with STP won't be the giant undertaking that DBS was.

That's because he hasn't. Again, LP's barely doing anything this summer. Who knows what the Mall soundtrack even is - if it's instrumental, then automatically Chester doesn't have to be there and he won't be there. STP isn't LP, they can throw together an album in three months, especially now that Scott's not in the band. Touring/recording with STP won't be the giant undertaking that DBS was.

i actually thought about it, because Mike producing, it takes more time to make the album (for a good reason). but STP, they are rock band - literally. they can write the lyrics and the music, record it, and they have the album. in LP music there are sometimes many levels to take care, so it takes more time, especially when one of the band also producing.

They're gonna try what Smashing Pumpkins tried - record songs and release them as they're finished, instead of putting a full album out. Hopefully that'll actually work.

even faster than i thought. better or worst?

We will see if that really works. Mike and Chester both said Linkin Park has wanted to do that since at least 2008 and that's never happened except for New Divide. They wanted to write a few songs, put out an EP, tour, write a few more, another EP, etc. That hasn't happened.

even faster than i thought. better or worst?

Well Billy Corgan quit that because it wasn't working at all after less than two years, and people always yell about what a creative genius he is, so we'll see.

We will see if that really works. Mike and Chester both said Linkin Park has wanted to do that since at least 2008 and that's never happened except for New Divide. They wanted to write a few songs, put out an EP, tour, write a few more, another EP, etc. That hasn't happened.

I thought the interview above was referring to STP not LP.

• 2 months later...

Scott recently spoke to Rolling Stones about Chester joining STP. Here is what he had to say:

"I don't think Chester did it in a spiteful way," Weiland told Billboard, adding that the two singers became friends when their bands toured together on the 2001 Family Values Tour. "The brothers DeLeo can be pretty persuasive. . . . I guess nothing is totally shocking."

"I don't think it was smart for them to do that," he said. "I'm surprised they did what they did without checking the legality of it, how they just decided to go and use the [sTP] name and go and hire another singer and start playing shows with a name that I still am an owner of."

Hmm. I don't know he means by the DeLeo brothers can be pretty persuasive. But I'm glad to see that Scott recognizes that it isn't Chester he should be mad at. Do you think this will effect the upcoming tour?

Scott recently spoke to Rolling Stones about Chester joining STP. Here is what he had to say:

"I don't think Chester did it in a spiteful way," Weiland told Billboard, adding that the two singers became friends when their bands toured together on the 2001 Family Values Tour. "The brothers DeLeo can be pretty persuasive. . . . I guess nothing is totally shocking."

"I don't think it was smart for them to do that," he said. "I'm surprised they did what they did without checking the legality of it, how they just decided to go and use the [sTP] name and go and hire another singer and start playing shows with a name that I still am an owner of."

Hmm. I don't know he means by the DeLeo brothers can be pretty persuasive. But I'm glad to see that Scott recognizes that it isn't Chester he should be mad at. Do you think this will effect the upcoming tour?

That's just a shrewd way of saying "the DeLeo brothers are both fucking dickholes."

I doubt it'll affect anything. They're already disassociating by calling it STP + Chester.

That's just a shrewd way of saying "the DeLeo brothers are both fucking dickholes."

I doubt it'll affect anything. They're already disassociating by calling it STP + Chester.

That's how they're advertising their shows now? I haven't been following this story closely...Interstate Love Song is the only STP song I really like lol. I wonder though..maybe they'll do something to what Rage Against the Machine did when they got another vocalist and became Audioslave. STP (with Chester Bennington) doesn't sound right.

Edited by Justin

Of course, but I don't think they have a lot of options. But how the official releases gonna look? This is the real question.

I understand that their success is built on the STP name and they don't want to drop it and start over, but if this is actually a potential legal issue they might not have a choice.. Actually, the members of Creed found a new singer as well, and became Alter Bridge.

I know there's a difference in that STP will still be playing the old songs at shows, but with the new album and touring cycle coming up, they could change the name and play mainly songs from the album with Chester. The older songs would just have to be considered covers. The only thing is their career has been long so I'm sure they have a lot of "staple" songs that they can't just drop from their sets.

I don't know.. I think they need to either make the hard choice to change their band name, or decide to keep it (make Chester an offical member of STP...not STP with Chester) and deal with whatever Scott might do about it.

Edited by Justin