Crawling (2001-2012)

hahninator

Felt like this needed its own thread since this is LPLive and something pretty remarkable (in the sense of Linkin Park's live shows, at least) just happened.

Looks like the last two shows at Bucharest and NovaRock was the first time 'Crawling' has ever been dropped from a setlist for two shows in a row. Hard to believe the song made it from 2001 until now without being gone for more than one full show in a setlist! Wow. Of course this doesn't mean 6 songs or less performances, since those aren't "full sets".

In Bucharest it was dropped mid-set because the band added in 'A Place For My Head' due to keyboard difficulties with 'new Divide'. At NovaRock, the band had to cut songs from the set due to weather pushing their set time back.

Has any other song made it this long? Maybe 'In The End'? 'One Step Closer' was dropped twice in a row last year in Arras and St. Gallen. What is different with 'One Step Closer' is that it was not on the setlist for those shows.

Thoughts? Happy to see 'Crawling' go for a while or not happy?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought that Crawling has already completed its cycle in LP setlists. I mean, yes, it's a classic and people love it live, but it doesn't get the same reaction ITE, OSC or Papercut get.

I think it wouldn't be surprising if they end up dropping Crawling for a long time after Living Things comes out and they add the new songs to the set.

I'm in love with Crawling. One of the best song of LP ever made. But the live version is not the same anymore. You can see how the band is fucking boring while they played it , and Chester's voice is a Joke comparing to the 2000-2004 live version. So i'm glad that they dropped it. Hopefully they don't drop One Step Closer ... is their first single for fucks sake !

Edited by Hybrid Theory

I've always thought that Crawling has already completed its cycle in LP setlists. I mean, yes, it's a classic and people love it live, but it doesn't get the same reaction ITE, OSC or Papercut get.

I think it wouldn't be surprising if they end up dropping Crawling for a long time after Living Things comes out and they add the new songs to the set.

Agreed 100%. Ready for the song to go for a while. It's been played at almost every show for almost 10 years. Let it take a rest...if they want to replace it with a song they don't play much that is just as good then they should do that. Figure.09, for instance, hahaha (like they'd ever play that again).

I'm all for the singles being rotated and moved around. OSC I think should stay but if the band legit gets tired of it they can rotate it. If they have 3 setlists they could just do Crawling in 1 or even 0 and rotate other singles as well. Someone tell them to give Numb a break while they are at it. Tired of it live as well. Neither song has the same effect live as they used to.

I'd rather hear some more new songs or rarer songs live than Crawling. Stuff that doesn't get played much is always welcome in the setlist.

I'm so sick of Crawling, man, I'm glad it's been dropped. I'm surprised that it was dropped twice in a row, though, considering how much of a setlist staple it is, what with the crowd interaction and all that.

Bring something from Meteora in to fill in that spot, LP. It's time.

There is a good way to play crawling,2007's live version wasn't even ok,2008 live version came with intro of krwlng,that's awesome,& then 2009,with intro of Hands held high,it was also awesome.singing the song like one style makes crawling sound bad.I was waiting for them to drop this song,also we don't need papercut anymore,they've been playing it since 2000 in almost,almost every show.One step closer,for me,concert's finishing song.don't remove it or put it in between,or at 2nd or 3rd num.In the end is the only song,fans will listen to,without thinking about style.Swap papercut,put in When they come for me,or WRETCHES & KINGS,Burning in the skies is also missing,why not a sad portion in the setlist?they've made one song LOATR-SOTD-Iridescent,it is cool,but why don't one more song?may be Little things give you away?Pushing me away(piano version)?What I've done has no energy left because of just one style of playing live.Messed with outro of Breaking the habit & waiting for the end.that's sad,why the hell numb messes with the rhythm of fast songs?setlist is good,but 2008 & 2009's tours,can't come back.they will never

Reanimation intro with Hands Held High over it made the song tolerable, I suppose. Not the standard run of the mill album version, though.

Hell yeah,that's my point too.

Crawling intro of krwlng live MSG 2008(DSP VERSION)

Listen to this one,& decide yourself

To me Crawling has always been a "vanilla" Linkin Park song. Nothing special. Never got the hype over it. Is it good? Yes. Does anything about it stand out? No. Relatively speaking it wasn't even one of their more "iconic" singles. I can accept that as being the reason One Step Closer stayed a staple so long. In The End was an iconic single but stands out for being a classic crowd interaction song as well. Crawling just doesn't have a lot going for it. If any song had to hit the chopping block now after ten years frankly I'd throw that one under the bus in a heartbeat.

Hell to the no! Crawling, live or studio, is one of the best performances they have ever given as a band. AND, even though it was one of their more successful songs (Grammy) it is the least played out song off of their single catalog. If anything, they should give songs like One Step Closer or In The End a breather. ITE will never get dropped clearly cause of the pure success and cultural impact that song has had, but it would be nice to give a breather once in a while, just like they did with OSC and Crawling. That's just my personal brainfart, because I've mentioned dropping ITE before and realized right away it would never happen

Agreed 100%. Ready for the song to go for a while. It's been played at almost every show for almost 10 years. Let it take a rest...if they want to replace it with a song they don't play much that is just as good then they should do that. Figure.09, for instance, hahaha (like they'd ever play that again).

I'm all for the singles being rotated and moved around. OSC I think should stay but if the band legit gets tired of it they can rotate it. If they have 3 setlists they could just do Crawling in 1 or even 0 and rotate other singles as well. Someone tell them to give Numb a break while they are at it. Tired of it live as well. Neither song has the same effect live as they used to.

I'd rather hear some more new songs or rarer songs live than Crawling. Stuff that doesn't get played much is always welcome in the setlist.

THIS!!! I would love if LP took the whole rotating singles process more seriously. Replace a single with a die-hard-fan classic. Swap singles throughout tours (like I mentioned on fb with Lying From You and Papercut haha) so that all of their singles see the light of day at some point, or drop singles for newer material, which will definitely happen once the HCT starts. I bring this band up constantly in this forum cause of their amazing live approach, but LP should definitely take a page out of the Pearl Jam live set and start making unique set lists for EVERY show. Yes, I understand they come up with rotating setlists for a reason; more specificly for Rob and Joe's samples, and to practice newer songs in order to get them down as best as possible, but if they find a way around that and have a unique setlist for every show that will really make each one special. I also think the uniqueness of the shows would really give the band an extra boost of energy with playing something fresh each night

agree that it's had its day.

the song, purely by its time signature and how the guitar part is constructed, is a song that has always felt like it drags too much.

I'm not sad to see it go, but won't it be funny if it becomes one of those songs like With You, that would never have been dropped from the HT-era setlists, yet has since become something we all want to see live again in a few years time? :P

We must not forget that Crawling wasn't played on the first Linkin Park tour too. I'm too lazy to search on this website, but I thought the first LP setlist was like this:

1. Papercut (Cure for the Itch)

2. Forgotten

3. POA

4. With You

5. Runaway

6. And One

7. In The End

8. APFMH

9. OSC

So even if Crawling was played, In The End is always longer on LP's setlists. That song has never been dropped. So we have a winner: In The End.

By the time LP play their first setlist on the Honda Civic Tour, they will have 64 studio songs to choose from. I realize that some of those tracks are instrumentals, intros, interludes and other words that start with "in", but regardless, it won't kill the band to shuffle the singles/staples in and out or drop a few entirely.

"Crawling" is the song that made me a LP fan back in 2001 when it hit radio, but aside from the duet with Chris Cornell, it's been boring for about a decade. Even the "Hands Held High" and REANIMATION intro got real old real fast. There's a good chance that listening to every DSP burns me out on songs quicker than the average fan, but still. LP are only playing half of their catalog, and greedy super fans like me want more :)

PS: Props to LPL for the "Crawling" stats!

You have to take into account that it is a whole different experience if you're at a live show.

I agree with most of you that it is very boring to hear "Crawling" on the DSP. But recently I was at their show in Berlin and I totally liked crawling. So I can't say I'm happy or unhappy if they drop it.

Edited by wiiesel