Mike on guitar

Jgrosk

One Step Closer (since 2007), Crawling, Pushing Me Away, P5hing, Somewhere I Belong, Easier to Run, Faint, From the Inside, Given Up, Bleed It Out, What I've Done, No More Sorrow, Valentine's Day, In Pieces, The Little Things Give You Away.

From the albums.

One Step Closer (since 2007), Crawling, Pushing Me Away, P5hing, Somewhere I Belong, Easier to Run, Faint, From the Inside, Given Up, Bleed It Out, What I've Done, No More Sorrow, Valentine's Day, In Pieces, The Little Things Give You Away.

From the albums.

And, Wake...

From the albums.

Mike doesnt play on given up. its just brad. Astat has pointed out that Mike just plays the chorus part live and thats it.

All the songs that have rhythm guitar except It's Goin' Down and Shadow of the Day and even sometimes songs that don't like OSC, but that's just to give him something to do on stage so he won't end up like Joe :P

If you're talking about in the studio, there's really no way of telling for the most part. I know he recorded guitar on BTH, WTH>YOU, Lockjaw and Sold My Soul to Yo Mama to name a few and probably A-Six/A.06 since Mike wrote other songs like A.15 that have the same title format. Mike produced It's Goin' Down, but no one knows (I think) if it's the type of production that means he did the beats like on other songs he produced (Lupe Fiasco, Apathy, Kenna, Cypress Hill, etc) or if it means he had a mentor-like job like an Executive-producer would have.

Edited by Aiman

Bleed it Out

Crawling

Easier to Run

Faint

From The Inside

Given Up

In Pieces

The Little Things Give You Away (both acoustic and electric)

No More Sorrow

One Step Closer (as of 2007 and onwards)

Pushing me Away

Pshng me A'wy

Somewhere I Belong

Valentine's Day

Wake and Wake 2.0

What I've Done

Those are all the songs he has played guitar on live. Feel free to add to the list if i missed any.

Edited by Peryman

Doesn't that still qualify as playing guitar on Given up? lol

well from what i read from the OP he wanted to know which ones he actually plays guitar in the studio live if not OP clarify what you want to know lol.

I mean from Astat's tutorial vid mike plays the guitar live otherwise he wouldnt have anything to do haha

well from what i read from the OP he wanted to know which ones he actually plays guitar in the studio live if not OP clarify what you want to know lol.

I mean from Astat's tutorial vid mike plays the guitar live otherwise he wouldnt have anything to do haha

You can actually hear the extra guitar being doubled on the track so he does play it. But then again you can hear 2 rhythm guitars doubled along with the lead on crawling yet it sounds so plane without the doubled rhythm.

Mike knows how to play the guitar, but I don't think he records them on the albums because Brad is a better guitarist than Mike. But as Aiman points out, it happens to be the case on some songs, and those songs are from Reanimation.

Oh, don't forget about Lockjaw. ;)

Mike knows how to play the guitar, but I don't think he records them on the albums because Brad is a better guitarist than Mike. But as Aiman points out, it happens to be the case on some songs, and those songs are from Reanimation.

Oh, don't forget about Lockjaw. ;)

Brad's not necessarily better. It's just that he's the band's guitarist, so he gets to record the guitar tracks.

It would be very difficult for Mike to be a worse guitarist than Brad. :) jk

Edit: it appears that Mike played rhythm guitar on Minutes to Midnight according to the album credits.

Edited by leftshoe18

As far as STUDIO work, I know for a fact Mike played on the recordings of the following songs:

P5HNG ME A*WY (guitar work is credited to both Mike and Brad)

WTH>YOU

Drawing (Mike mentioned in an interview that he recorded the original guitar part on the demo, which was reused on the final recording, but there was also a different part added for the chorus and bridge, so the final recording of Breaking the Habit may be a combination of Mike/Brad or just Mike)

Sold My Soul to Yo Mama

Standing in the Middle

The Little Things Give You Away (the acoustic part)

What I've Done (Distorted Remix)

Leave Out All the Rest (M.S. Remix)

Lockjaw

All Fort Minor recordings (excluding Brad's remix of Where'd You Go and We Major songs that sample guitar parts from other songs such as S.C.O.M. and Dolla)

2005 VMA score songs

MMM...Cookies songs (these were a combination of both Mike and Chester, not sure who did guitar on which ones)

Carry Me Away

Enjoy the Silence '04

Rock and Roll (Could Never Hip Hop Like This) Part 2

Death to Analog (Mike Shinoda Remix)

Shoot First

Second to None

Barack Your World

I think that's all that we know he played on for sure, studio-wise (I may be missing a couple outside collaborations but I think I got them all). Obviously he probably played on more MTM-era stuff, but there isn't much documentation of how the studio work was divided up.

Live, here's the full list:

One Step Closer (2007 and onwards)

Crawling

Pushing Me Away

P5HNG ME A*WY

Somewhere I Belong

Easier to Run

Faint

From the Inside

Wake

Wake 2.0

Given Up

Bleed it Out

What I've Done

No More Sorrow

Valentine's Day

In Pieces

The Little Things Give You Away

A.06

Wish

There was one occasion on the U.S. arena tour in early '08 where he picked up his guitar during the Points of Authority outro and played along with it instead of rapping the verse from There They Go like he usually did. The pre-PR07 setlists from rehearsals (seen in the LPTV video from rehearsals) also had QWERTY highlighted as a song Mike would play guitar on, but that didn't end up happening.

As far as STUDIO work, I know for a fact Mike played on the recordings of the following songs:

WTH>YOU

Drawing (Mike mentioned in an interview that he recorded the original guitar part on the demo, which was reused on the final recording, but there was also a different part added for the chorus and bridge, so the final recording of Breaking the Habit may be a combination of Mike/Brad or just Mike)

Sold My Soul to Yo Mama

Standing in the Middle

Lockjaw

All Fort Minor recordings (excluding Brad's remix of Where'd You Go and We Major songs that sample guitar parts from other songs such as S.C.O.M. and Dolla)

2005 VMA score songs

MMM...Cookies songs (these were a combination of both Mike and Chester, not sure who did guitar on which ones)

Carry Me Away

Enjoy the Silence '04

Shoot First

Second to None

Barack Your World

I think that's all that we know he played on for sure, studio-wise (I may be missing a couple outside collaborations but I think I got them all). Obviously he probably played on more MTM-era stuff, but there isn't much documentation of how the studio work was divided up.

Crawling

Pushing Me Away

P5HNG ME A*WY

Somewhere I Belong

Easier to Run

Faint

From the Inside

Wake

Wake 2.0

Given Up

Bleed it Out

What I've Done

No More Sorrow

Valentine's Day

In Pieces

A.06

Wish

There was one occasion on the U.S. arena tour in early '08 where he picked up his guitar during the Points of Authority outro and played along with it instead of rapping the verse from There They Go like he usually did. The pre-PR07 setlists from rehearsals (seen in the LPTV video from rehearsals) also had QWERTY highlighted as a song Mike would play guitar on, but that didn't end up happening.

I love you :)

Now...

TOO THE YOUTUBE MOBILE!!!!

WTH>YOU

Sold My Soul to Yo Mama

Standing in the Middle

Lockjaw

2005 VMA score songs

Carry Me Away

Enjoy the Silence '04

Shoot First

Second to None

Barack Your World

Crawling

Pushing Me Away

P5HNG ME A*WY

Somewhere I Belong

Easier to Run

Faint

From the Inside

Wake

Wake 2.0

Given Up

Bleed it Out

What I've Done

No More Sorrow

Valentine's Day

In Pieces

A.06

Wish

So does that mean Mike plays guitar on Cover And Duck?

S.C.O.M. sampled Sweet Child O' Mine , but what about Dolla?

The instrumental of Dolla comes from The Ocean by Led Zeppelin.

SCOM - Sweet Child O' Mine

Dolla - The Ocean

Bloc Party - Banquet (by Bloc Party)

Bleach remix - Hey Joe (by Jimi Hendrix)

Petrified remix - Strange Days (by The Doors)

Remember the Name remix - Music For My Mother (by Funkadelic)

Respect 4 Grandma - Baby, Baby Don't Cry (by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles)

All Night - Tom Sawyer (by Rush)