Why are Linkin Park so sloppy live?

DrSeus

Brad is horrible live, he almost makes Faint off beat every time when his guitar part comes in, Chester can't seem to sing on tune and without being nasally, when singing I've never heard Mike hit a right key, Rob is just kinda there and I think Phoenix always forgets to plug in his bass.

Seriously, for having such a thick sound on records I've never heard such a horrible live show as some of the ones I've downloaded. I mean it's obvious from any multi tracks that you listen to that Chester is autotuned like crazy but still...it's ridiculous.

To be honest, the shows like the type you described are really the most recent ones. (Post MTM 2007 and onward)

If you listen to a show circa 2004 (the best LP live year in my opinion) Chester sounds great, Brad's guitar sound has a lot more volume and crunch to it. Phoenix has never really been audible.

Just close this. It seems like an obvious troll.

I don't think it's necessarily trolling. Probably a more casual fan than most people on here but this is a website dedicated to LP's live performances and a lot of the points the OP made are true in recent years.

I'd say LP is a decent live band. Nothing spectacular, but they still deliver quality shows. However, it's obvious that they were way better back in the days...And that at different level: energy, originality, contact with fans....I'm saying that because of all the videos I've seen on the web....Never been to one of their shows, so maybe my opinion isn't objective :P

I'd say LP is a decent live band. Nothing spectacular, but they still deliver quality shows. However, it's obvious that they were way better back in the days...And that at different level: energy, originality, contact with fans....I'm saying that because of all the videos I've seen on the web....Never been to one of their shows, so maybe my opinion isn't objective :P

Pretty accurate description.

I've seen LP 3 times (Atl '07, Nash '08, & Atl '08) and 2/3 times (Atl '07 & Nash '08) were top notch performances. They put on a very energetic performance, music sounded great, and there was plenty of fan interaction. I have seen other concerts and only 3 other bands even come close (Foo Fighters, Slipknot, and Emery) to putting on as good of a show. Linkin Park might not have the most complicated riffs, beats, or vocals but they are very good at what they do, performing.

i lol'd at this thread. in Bristow 08 the band was alright but they were not top notch at all. Mike looked so bored. Chester seemed to be the only one into the show

joe left the stage during PMA (the studio version) FFS.

I cannot agree with that.In my opinion LP makes everytime a great performance.OK, maybe there are some days they mess up a song or two, but that's the "live-effect" and that's ok.

I can agree with the fact that the guitarsound is a little bit softer than in 2004, but the equipment has changed, so this is a normal process for a band, i think. ;)

Have you ever even seen them live? DSP versus a live show with you being there is a HUGE difference. DSP sounds nothing like being at the show to tell you the truth. MK has to be the worst mixed DVD I've ever heard so don't listen to that either....go see them live then repost if you haven't. If you've seen them live and still think that then you are in the very very small minority on the subject. LP is known for its crystal clear live sound and is regarded as a very solid live act.

Have you ever even seen them live? DSP versus a live show with you being there is a HUGE difference. DSP sounds nothing like being at the show to tell you the truth. MK has to be the worst mixed DVD I've ever heard so don't listen to that either....go see them live then repost if you haven't. If you've seen them live and still think that then you are in the very very small minority on the subject. LP is known for its crystal clear live sound and is regarded as a very solid live act.

I'll trust you on that, but based solely on recordings I would have to agree with the OP.

I cannot agree with that.I watched 30 shows or maybe less or more, but everytime there was a good performance.OK, sometimes the band messed up one or two songs, but that's the "live-effect" and of course it's ok, sometimes very funny. ;) The live-sound has definitely changed, but that's normal for a band that has another equipment like 10 years ago.

Err...how many bands have you seen live? I'm guessing two or less. LP is tighter on stage than probably 98% of other touring acts out there right now. Other than Chester's frequent vocal issues that I've been rather critical of in recent years, they don't make mistakes on stage that any other band hasn't made multiple times.

Brad is horrible live, he almost makes Faint off beat every time when his guitar part comes in

I've heard Brad mess up the entrance on Faint like...twice. Whoop de fucking do. That one instance is enough to class him as "horrible?" Well shit, I've heard Matt Bellamy hit a wrong note in Knights of Cydonia once or twice, I guess he's horrible live as well.

when singing I've never heard Mike hit a right key

Mike sings in tune FAR better than Chester does. He's rarely off-key.

Rob is just kinda there

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've heard Rob Bourdon make a noticeable mistake on stage in the last 10 years. The man is also practically a robot when it comes to keeping time, you'd be amazed how many professional drummers can't play to a click track to save their life.

I think Phoenix always forgets to plug in his bass.

Phoenix's bass is plugged in, and it's completely out of his control how it's mixed anyway. But I can always pick it out of the mix just fine...I think you just don't know how to listen for it, or you have shitty speakers.

Christ, name nearly any major touring band right now. Creed with their much-hyped reunion tour and new album? They sound like shit live. AC/DC? Brian Johnson sounds like fucking Donald Duck these days. Nickelback? Even if their music didn't suck, their live performance is nothing to write home about, their drummer is the only guy in that band who excels on stage. KISS? Gene Simmons is fat, lazy, and forgets the words to his own songs half the time, and Paul Stanley's voice is shot. Blink-182? Tom Delonge is off in his own little world during live performances, and that world clearly doesn't have anything in it that reminds him how to sing in tune or play his guitar parts correctly. Even Roger Waters of the almighty Pink Floyd, with his massive upcoming The Wall tour, his voice has degraded to the point that he actually lip-syncs numerous songs.

The only reason Linkin Park isn't in the upper echelons of live acts is because they aren't a theatrical act with big stage productions like U2, Muse, etc...but even a perfectionist who's as obsessive as me knows that it's foolish to call them "sloppy." You want sloppy? Go see just about any band on the Victory Records or Fueled By Ramen rosters. You obviously need to get out and see more shows if you think LP is sloppy.

I think Astat is dead-on with his rebuttle.

For 6 musicians all playing together, they are pretty damn tight. Rob might be one of the most precise drummers of our time. You really should see LP in concert, recordings are not really the same.

If you've been to a Linkin Park concert, you easily realize the bass is there..it's so loud the earth shakes!

mixing is another thing..and quit dissing on Chester he's got the hardest job of almost every other vocalist out there. and he's 34 and he performs well on most of the songs..he's allowed to be exhausted sometimes..