New Album: Mix between MTM & HT!

vyonizr

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he could have asked just that..."What did you all think of the DBS album? Positivity and negativity is all welcome."

Well, he basically asked liked that, so what's the problem?

Thanks for all of the great input. I truly appreciate the honesty in which you all answered my questions. You are all awesome! Goodnight :)

and

Or is everybody downloading illeagaly? Honesty please...

Well, he basically asked liked that, so what's the problem?

Thanks for all of the great input. I truly appreciate the honesty in which you all answered my questions. You are all awesome! Goodnight :)

and

Or is everybody downloading illeagaly? Honesty please...

No one is saying he's an evil person, but it has to be a way of getting more sales. That's a first thing he mentions, "sales are down in USA". It's working, as you can see on these forums. People feel bad and want to buy more CD's. If he wanted a pure opinion on the music itself, I don't think he would have mentioned sales at all. But hell, what do I know. Just a speculation, the guy has thousands of dollars.

edit: You know, now that I think about it..I could care less at this point. The guys all have done a lot with Music for Relief, so what they do with money is none of my concerns. Just wish people weren't such a victim to situations as I presented.

Edited by rav0k

No one is saying he's an evil person, but it has to be a way of getting more sales. That's a first thing he mentions, "sales are down in USA". It's working, as you can see on these forums. People feel bad and want to buy more CD's. If he wanted a pure opinion on the music itself, I don't think he would have mentioned sales at all. But hell, what do I know. Just a speculation, the guy has thousands of dollars.

to quote Wale

"record deal does not equal rich"

but then again we have no idea really how much chaz makes from anything regardless how long they have been in the biznessss.

to quote Wale

"record deal does not equal rich"

but then again we have no idea really how much chaz makes from anything regardless how long they have been in the biznessss.

Well, I was only assuming that based on the house I saw on MTV Cribs, the awesome car he drives and the fancy clothing he wears on top of the tattoo shop and clothing line he owns. :lol: But I guess in another perspective, maybe those are things that he is not 100% entitled to. I wish I was in a place where I could say for sure what is going down but unfortunately, I can't. Like I said though, as long as they keep Music for Relief up, I think it's an awesome thing and I will always have much respect for them because of it.

Bottom line: Until we can hear the record and make our own judgements, anything that comes out of the mouth of any of the band members that attempts to describe it can be taken with a huge grain of salt. Look at everything that was said about how MTM sounded vs. what it actually sounded like.

When you're pushing a new product, you try to give it as much mass appeal as possible, so you find every adjective under the sun that you can use to describe it. It's what I lovingly refer to as PRBS - Public Relations Bullshit.

Bottom line: Until we can hear the record and make our own judgements, anything that comes out of the mouth of any of the band members that attempts to describe it can be taken with a huge grain of salt. Look at everything that was said about how MTM sounded vs. what it actually sounded like.

I wasn't active in the LP scene when MTM came out. Where people on forums extremely disappointed about the album when it was released?

Chester words makes me believe that he doesnt likes MTM... I'm happy that the word HEAVY has appeared in the description of the new album, that's what i want!

I don't think so. I think the band did appreciate M2M and I think they realize that the album was important for their careers as musicians. And that's why this album will hopefully be a mix between HT and M2M like Chester said. If he's actually being serious and this description is accurate, it could mean great things. I know most Linkin Park fans would rather them simply revert straight back to HT and Meteora. When I first thought about this, I was ok with that possibility. After all, I still think HT was their best album so I felt that I would be satisfied if they simply switched back. Now though, after I've learned to appreciate M2M more, I've changed my mind. I don't think anymore that I would be happy if they just reverted back to Hybrid Theory and Meteora. We'd lose Mike's singing which means another song like No Roads Left wouldn't be possible. We'd also lose the guitar solos which means nothing like In Pieces would be possible. I simply wouldn't want that.

The bottom line is that three main things have to happen to me for this album to be the best LP album. Keep the guitar solos from M2M and work on them. Keep Mike's singing which really emerged on M2M. And then bring back more of Mike's rapping. If they can somehow achieve a balance between these things and keep the good from M2M while bringing back some of the good from HT and Meteora, it could make for an epic album. It sounds like there's still a chance this could happen.

Then again though, I'm not having high expectations for this album. And like Astat said, you can't take comments from the band like this one from Chester too seriously. At this point, with everything that has been said, anything could happen. There's still a chance that this album could go in a TOTALLY different direction from the previous three albums which would be unfortunate to me. I think they just need to build on what they've done and bring back more of some old things such as Mike's rapping. They can't forget about the things that made M2M good. This is just my opinion though and I know everyone has their own idea of what they want the next album to sound like.

Regarding Chester on the DBS comments, I usually don't bash the members of Linkin Park because they do a lot of great things. I have always respected them, but I think this is just a ploy to get people to buy more DBS CD's. Assuming the following according to today's recording and marketing standards, Chester doesn't just go and put the CD on the market by himself, he has people that market the music, promote it (which I think the promotion was horrible for it), a producer - he knows it sounds good. It's catchy, it's appealing to the masses, I don't buy the "poor me" facade.

I think you might have misunderstood Chester's intentions.

He was curious about if the low sales of DBS reflected how people felt about the album. He basically said in 1 tweet, and I'm paraphrasing, that he doesn't care how people get the music, but there's no way to track illegal downloads.

Saying you don't care about how people get the music doesn't seem to be the best way to promote people buying your stuff as you were suggesting.

So basically he's wondering something along the lines of "do people hate my record and that's why no one is buying it, or are people downloading it instead of buying it and enjoying it that way."

It makes sense. If I was the lead singer of a huge band like LP and was used to having my albums go platinum, and I put out a solo album that hardly sold anything, I'd wonder what was up too. I don't blame him for worrying.

Edited by Xero21

I wasn't active in the LP scene when MTM came out. Where people on forums extremely disappointed about the album when it was released?

haha you have NO idea for about a year straight most of the messageboards were flooded with topics as

"MTMSUX BRING HYBRID THEORY BAK"

"WERES JOHAN?"

etc;

haha you have NO idea for about a year straight most of the messageboards were flooded with topics as

"MTMSUX BRING HYBRID THEORY BAK"

"WERES JOHAN?"

etc;

Wow, you just summarized that whole entire experience with 2 quotes. You have won the internet. :P

The theory that Chester is doing this for more sales is bullshit. I guess that these comments will sell around 50 CD's, if not less, and to think such comments will help the overall sales is stupid and Chester knows that. I hate these conspiracy theories on the big bands, this is NOWHERE near a marketing trick.

He is just reflecting on the bad sales, I believe he really loved this record, and it got a lot of negative reviews, bad sales, and people booed them off at concerts. That's a really big slap in the face, because he thought people would like it, I feel fucking sorry for him. And the band isn't really gaining any fans as far as I know, just LP fans saying: "It's allright, but I like LP better". And that's not what he expected.

I do think it's a good record, and I love singing along to it, he has awesome melodies.

The theory that Chester is doing this for more sales is bullshit. I guess that these comments will sell around 50 CD's, if not less, and to think such comments will help the overall sales is stupid and Chester knows that. I hate these conspiracy theories on the big bands, this is NOWHERE near a marketing trick.

He is just reflecting on the bad sales, I believe he really loved this record, and it got a lot of negative reviews, bad sales, and people booed them off at concerts. That's a really big slap in the face, because he thought people would like it, I feel fucking sorry for him. And the band isn't really gaining any fans as far as I know, just LP fans saying: "It's allright, but I like LP better". And that's not what he expected.

I do think it's a good record, and I love singing along to it, he has awesome melodies.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but at the same time, I don't think it's as bad as you made it sound. As far as I know, Epicenter was the only concert in which they had a serious negative reception. They got booed off stage at that show and it wasn't pretty. However, I don't think you can expect Tool fans to embrace a band like DBS. The other shows, particularly in Europe, they've seemed to get a good reception. And I think 75-80% of the Linkin Park fans I've seen, particularly on this site, really enjoyed the album. Obviously, they don't think it's better than Linkin Park but most fans I've seen both on this site and elsewhere think it's a good record. Better than alright. I agree with everything else though. I don't think he's doing this for more sales even though the record has gotten some bad reviews and relatively poor sales.

Edited by LinkinParkHotspur

this is NOWHERE near a marketing trick.

So what's your opinion on him randomly spilling his "emotions" on the public then? Linkin Park got booed at during Summer Sanitarium, opening for Metallica. They have been booed at countless times, you think he's just going to randomly get upset about things like that? When someone gets upset about results from their art, it's because they wanted their art to sell. That doesn't necessarily mean money, but they want a certain significance from the public. It is no longer a "Oh, I made this because I loved it. It's all about passion."

Chester has a spine and a lot of courage (along with other musicians who have made it quite high in the media world, it takes a lot of courage). He may not even be using it as a marketing strategy, but it certainly appears that way when all I am seeing is people feeling sorry for him all of a sudden.

I have reason to believe this is his way of getting more people to buy the CD.

Is there anything 100% wrong with that? No. I just think people should realize these things. If you want to help him out, by all means help him out. Buy the CD's but don't act like he's depressed.

At the end of the day though, I am the one in front of a computer monitor while he tours the world.

Edited by rav0k

I like dead by sunrise!

I'd love to see them live (can't afford to go see them in other countries / they'll never come to mine)

I was laughing, because people that have the chance to see them, actually booed them, when I'd give anything too see them live  :rolleyes: the irony...

This was definitely not a marketing ploy. Give me a break, what did like maybe a hundred people worldwide go buy the album because Chester is feeling bad about the sales? I honestly think it has to do with too high of expectations. Side projects do not sell nearly as well. The fact that Chester has never had an album before DBS to sell less than a million, he probably just is confused to what happened. I personally think it was a pretty good album. I did my part and purchased the cd in stores awhile back. I feel bad here, but no way I'm buying another one. He's the millionaire who has the greatest life imaginable granted he has earned it. I think he just doesn't know how to deal with less than spectacular record sales figures. He'll get over it though and hopefully give the fans more of what they want by screaming more like back in the older days of LP.

This was definitely not a marketing ploy. Give me a break, what did like maybe a hundred people worldwide go buy the album because Chester is feeling bad about the sales?

If he has over 100 people who read his Twitter, yeah chances are likely. That's more sales based on a twitter feed, it worked. You've seen it yourself, there are people who like bands simply because the lead singer is attractive. I'm not saying that's any of us, but there's always that portion that wants to be the "groupie". Of course someone will buy the DBS album after reading that. There's no 100% proof that he did this intentionally, but to completely rule it out as if a businessman is innocent is just kinda silly if you ask me. He has every right to get people to buy more albums and obviously saying "Go buy more albums please, they cost money." is not going to work. My only major complaint is the people who act like he's depressed. That's my ONLY major complaint.

I personally think Dead By Sunrise was crap because of what Julien K brought to the table. I like Julien K, I like Chester's work but combined I think it was a flop.

Too much "techno" and not enough facemelting.

Edited by rav0k

well, actually i don't really know what to think about those tweets... i was kinda surprised reading them, cause he wasn't there for quite a while and came back with THAT...

but i totally disagree with those of you saying that he wants us to buy the album by asking those questions... i mean, everyone following him on twitter is a fan, cause i don't see why i should follow him just because he is a star or something... his tweets are simply too boring for that. and as a fan i already have an opinion about DBS and their album, not only now... so either you love it or you don't. and with those tweets he won't get anyone buying a second cd. how dumb'd that be?? oO and he also won't get someone buying the cd, who doesn't like the music on it...

all he got by posting this is lots of sympathy and very kind and lovely words from his fans. maybe he just needed that... for his ego^^ i just wouldn't focus so much on some questions posted on twitter... ; )