DBS is NOT holding up LP

NoSunToday

Finally, Mr Ryan Shuck posted something about LPs album in the works...and about the website situation and Level 7 as well...

LP is nearly WELL into recording their record - i dont see how we held them up - they didnt change their schedule at all for DBS. we just worked in between.

we aren't super focused on websites, etc.. mainly radio, which actually sells records and allows the project to exist.

as for L7... possibly.. it's been a rough road.

RS

Link

Thanks for clarifying...

Hope all of those who are complaining about DBS are satisfied now!

i dont see how Ryan thinks not having an official website is NOT killing the band. What Hahninator said was the truth the whole band is a cluster fuck. If that is what Ryan was saying

But if Ryan said its not holding LP up ill believe him, why would he need to lie? I mean he is Chester's best friend and was the best man at Chester's wedding so lets give him some credit. Still i dont like how hostile some people on the JKMB can get though bcuz GAWD 4BID someone speak ill of JK.

on a funny note, Mark thats the second time Ryan reached out to you! (1st time being the Combichrist shows setlists being different) :)

i dont see how Ryan thinks not having an official website is NOT killing the band. What Hahninator said was the truth the whole band is a cluster fuck. If that is what Ryan was saying

But if Ryan said its not holding LP up ill believe him, why would he need to lie? I mean he is Chester's best friend and was the best man at Chester's wedding so lets give him some credit. Still i dont like how hostile some people on the JKMB can get though bcuz GAWD 4BID someone speak ill of JK.

on a funny note, Mark thats the second time Ryan reached out to you! (1st time being the Combichrist shows setlists being different) :)

lol

When Julien-K fans accused Chester of being a shitty singer and talentless, so we called in 10 LP fans and had a 10 page global meltdown, calling Ryan bullshit, calling Chester bullshit, calling everyone bullshit, going OFF at each other. Then Ryan posted: "lol, you guys are so funny. Chester and I are sitting here reading this thread and laughing our asses off." WIN.

Haha. :lol: Link please? I'd love to read the whole thing. Edited by JanekZech

1. Ryan must be oblivious to what it feels like as a fan of the band. I could reply to him but I'd like to remain on good terms, lol. He is absolutely incorrect.

2. Not holding up LP? I don't understand how it COULDN'T be fucking holding up Linkin Park when Chester can't go into the god damn studio because he's halfway across the fucking world in GERMANY. /rant

3. Julien-K boards have a LOT of weird ass people. Lots of LP-haters, lots of diehard JK fans that think LP fans are crazy, etc. Very easy to get wrapped up in a battle with them.

4. Ryan has replied to me on numerous occassions on the JKMB. Best time ever? When Julien-K fans accused Chester of being a shitty singer and talentless, so we called in 10 LP fans and had a 10 page global meltdown, calling Ryan bullshit, calling Chester bullshit, calling everyone bullshit, going OFF at each other. Then Ryan posted: "lol, you guys are so funny. Chester and I are sitting here reading this thread and laughing our asses off." WIN. Anyway, Ryan and Amir are really helpful on the boards & Amir especially on Twitter.

1. Agreed on all terms even the good terms bit haha

2. I guess the band could be writing parts to a song. Like Brad making Guitar Demos, Joe making beats etc; but with Chester not there its kinda hard for the band not to be 100% focused on it.

3. Agreed. Reason why i stopped going there, very hostile. I got called out over there because of my sn. Like seriously? Who cares if i discovered JK through Chester? It doesnt make a difference, i have DTA vinyl SIGNED and FRAMED on my wall along with Elia's drumstick autographed on my wall hanging. So when i go into the MB i think its really ignorant.

4. I remember that thread i was going to get into it but it was funny watching em all go

also i remember Astat saying at one point that the only reason they have a career because of Chester exposing them haha dont shoot me JK fanbois and girls :)

2. Not holding up LP? I don't understand how it COULDN'T be fucking holding up Linkin Park when Chester can't go into the god damn studio because he's halfway across the fucking world in GERMANY. /rant

Chester (and every other Linkin Park member) shouldn't be in the studio for 365 days a year to work on the new album.

October tour, home, one show in November, home, 3 random shows in USA in December, home, 2 shows in the end of January, home, home, home.

It is something like a month and a half on the road. Is it THAT dramatic?

http://www.julien-k.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4502

uh ohh Preston is viewing the thread. haha Cant wait to read your view on this Preston

Mods deleted every post I made in that entire thread (10 or so) and all the rest of Joe's and some others. We blew the hell up, lol. I said some shit about Ryan I shouldn't have said but hey, they were asking for it....

And yeah man, LP said they were looking to get an album out very quickly...even Mike in Nov 08 said the album would likely drop in 2009. What you fail to see is that Chester spent months in the studio recording, finishing, mixing, mastering, etc the DBS record. He had to go around the world and do promo, he had to tour, etc...all of this adds up. It's not like he was away for 14 days of the year and he couldn't work. Chester doing all of this obviously took away his time to be in the studio with LP.

Chester (and every other Linkin Park member) shouldn't be in the studio for 365 days a year to work on the new album.

October tour, home, one show in November, home, 3 random shows in USA in December, home, 2 shows in the end of January, home, home, home.

It is something like a month and a half on the road. Is it THAT dramatic?

Well the way some of the clowns on here say it, the band works 12 hour days 365 days a year. Maybe they actually do - they certainly take their sweet time.

Look, if there was no DBS, I would definitely say LP would be extremely close to releasing a record. I mean extremely. No one can convince me - not even the illustrious Ryan Shuck - that DBS did not hold back LP. LP in order to be LP is all six members functioning as a whole unit. When we are getting updates and interviews saying Chester is in motherfucking Germany with his (what has become a full-fledged) new band while Mike and the gang are working hard on something we want, a new LP record, then something is not right. Oh, sure. Chester could email some lyrics. Chester can update the guys from his 345th travel to Germany. But that is not getting anything accomplished, at least in my mind.

I don't know how LP is working on this album or their work schedules. Chester can babble on say LP is always 100% of my attention and number one... and it might very well be when he is not dealing with his very personal and intricate band.

DBS seems like Chester wanting more control of a band and lyrics - however, Chester is such a mellow fellow, it never comes off that way in interviews and such.

DBS is garbage and is VERY obviously taking away time that should be dedicated to LP. As I said before, LP is NOT on hiatus and the only times side projects are cool are on times of hiatus.

And yeah man, LP said they were looking to get an album out very quickly...even Mike in Nov 08 said the album would likely drop in 2009. What you fail to see is that Chester spent months in the studio recording, finishing, mixing, mastering, etc the DBS record. He had to go around the world and do promo, he had to tour, etc...all of this adds up. It's not like he was away for 14 days of the year and he couldn't work. Chester doing all of this obviously took away his time to be in the studio with LP.

Fair enough.

Anyway, LP fan will say that DBS is holding up LP, and DBS fan/LP hater like me will say otherwise.

I'm just glad Chester finally finished the album and didn't wait a few more years until another hiatus to please LP fans.

There are a few bitter things about the promotion and the album itself, but I love the whole project.

Fair enough.

Anyway, LP fan will say that DBS is holding up LP, and DBS fan/LP hater like me will say otherwise.

I'm just glad Chester finally finished the album and didn't wait a few more years until another hiatus to please LP fans.

There are a few bitter things about the promotion and the album itself, but I love the whole project.

Interesting. I think Mike pulled the Fort Minor project off much better than DBS did...promotion, management, interaction with fans, release, etc. Quality of the DBS music isn't very good to me - for once I've found an LP-related album that I rarely ever listen to. I even listen to Death To Analog more than Out Of Ashes...very interesting.

Interesting. I think Mike pulled the Fort Minor project off much better than DBS did...promotion, management, interaction with fans, release, etc. Quality of the DBS music isn't very good to me - for once I've found an LP-related album that I rarely ever listen to. I even listen to Death To Analog more than Out Of Ashes...very interesting.

same here I listen to fort minor alot and JK but the DBS album got old fast

Out Of Ashes sounds like it was supposed to be an EP, but was inflated in rush to release it very soon as Long Play.

Something like:

Fire

Let Down

Old version of My Suffering

End Of The World

Walking In Circles

In The Darkness

I bet people would have loved this EP a lot more..Haha

I love GMYN, but I think the most of LP fans are too young to understand this song.

Also, I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone, but I think that FM is extremely overrated in Linkin Park community.

But it was released more properly that's for sure.

Guys, cmon, I think we couldn't ask for more in the break between mtm and the next album. I think OOA is a great album, but the management of DBS sux as hell. I think we shouldn't be angry at chester or ryan or any frontman in this whole situation because they just do what their managers are telling them to do, I guess they don't even really know how barelly this whole promotion thing really is. And in my personal situation Lp could even wait bit longer releasing the new album.

I really don't see how Dead By Sunrise is holding up the Linkin Park album when Chester's only needed for maybe 5% of the recording process of a Linkin Park album. We all know Mike is the primary writer in the band, both musically and lyrically.

I really don't see how Dead By Sunrise is holding up the Linkin Park album when Chester's only needed for maybe 5% of the recording process of a Linkin Park album. We all know Mike is the primary writer in the band, both musically and lyrically.

I have to highly disagree with you here. While I understand your point and your certainly on par with Mike being the primary writer, Chester, as the lead singer and co-frontman of the band, is needed much more than "5%" of the time.

LP is not a NIN type with Mike acting as Trent Reznor. I certainly don't think LP is the type where one person writes everything and just have the others record it. It's possible certain songs are like that, but not over an entire album. I'm certainly a believer that every band member has fairly extensive input on each song they release.

DBS has for certain slowed down the LP record, in some fashion. Maybe not as much as someone like myself thinks but its certainly slowed them down. Chester still writes many lyrics and still has his voice in the band. As I said, he can't really give a whole lot of say-so and dedication to LP's weekly recordings and such when he is off with DBS whether on tours, promotions, and such.

While I can understand where you're coming from, I think Chester is needed a bit more than just 5% of the time. Perhaps over the past six months, he has only contributed 5% to LP's next record. Yeah... that sounds a bit better.

which you can prove with facts than just pure assumption, right?

He's said in numerous interviews that he's only in the studio with LP when he's needed, which is usually to put his vocals on songs that are otherwise finished already. He's also said that Mike accounts for most of "the Linkin Park sound."

Just look at the LPU9 CD, Chester only contributed to 3 of the 9 demos, and really only 2 of them were anything major (he's only on Faint during the bridge, and all he does is whisper/scream "I" and "You"). It's a well-known fact that most of Hybrid Theory resulted from song ideas Mike and Brad came up with. A bunch of the Minutes to Midnight songs were almost entirely written by Mike, both musically and lyrically.

How many non-vocal contributions has Chester made to Linkin Park songs? The acoustic guitar sample that turned into Somewhere I Belong, the piano piece that became the Shadow of the Day guitar solo...that's about all that I can think of. He writes barely any of the music and maybe a third of the lyrics (Mike writes all the rap parts and also a lot of the singing parts). He's by far the least important member of the band when it comes to writing. The other 5 guys could write an entire album without him and just call him in when it's time to record vocals, and nobody would know the difference.

thank you for elaborating on this.

my thought was that he, as 1/6 of the band, has to be around for all the decisions of what sounds good, what could be changed and so on during the process. wasn't aware that he gets that rare when it comes to the studio...

I think a lot of decisions of that variety can be made without him there. They can always email/text/call him with updates on what they've been working on, what he needs to listen to or sing on when he gets back...they may even email him seeds when he's out on tour if they're not overly worried about the security of doing so.

Even when Chester's not busy with DBS, he's still probably the least-present of the members of the band when they're at the studio, because he's the only one who doesn't still live in the L.A. area (he moved back to Arizona a couple years ago). They probably have a system worked out that maximizes their output when he's there, but keeps things going when he isn't.

Even when Chester's not busy with DBS, he's still probably the least-present of the members of the band when they're at the studio, because he's the only one who doesn't still live in the L.A. area (he moved back to Arizona a couple years ago). They probably have a system worked out that maximizes their output when he's there, but keeps things going when he isn't.

really?! damn, this is news to me. when did he move? i remember only like 2 years ago there was an article on his stalker and it mentioned him living in orange county or something? this is hard to believe, lol.

just curious, can i see your source? i don't doubt it, i know that you of all people always back up what you say with facts or a reliable source.

edit: got the article, it does say he lives in orange county. so he must have moved recently, but damn that's surprising, lol.

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/n...5/ff_linkinpark

Edited by parth196

I do. Chester in the studio for months writing slower songs for Out Of Ashes? Finishing all of the other songs? Mixing/mastering the record? He's said it was finished like 3 times but he ALSO said about 3 times that they wanted to do more work on it. Mike is a significant writer, but everyone in the band writes music.

He's said in numerous interviews that he's only in the studio with LP when he's needed, which is usually to put his vocals on songs that are otherwise finished already. He's also said that Mike accounts for most of "the Linkin Park sound."

Just look at the LPU9 CD, Chester only contributed to 3 of the 9 demos, and really only 2 of them were anything major (he's only on Faint during the bridge, and all he does is whisper/scream "I" and "You"). It's a well-known fact that most of Hybrid Theory resulted from song ideas Mike and Brad came up with. A bunch of the Minutes to Midnight songs were almost entirely written by Mike, both musically and lyrically.

How many non-vocal contributions has Chester made to Linkin Park songs? The acoustic guitar sample that turned into Somewhere I Belong, the piano piece that became the Shadow of the Day guitar solo...that's about all that I can think of. He writes barely any of the music and maybe a third of the lyrics (Mike writes all the rap parts and also a lot of the singing parts). He's by far the least important member of the band when it comes to writing. The other 5 guys could write an entire album without him and just call him in when it's time to record vocals, and nobody would know the difference.

Ok first, he's not in the studio only when he's needed. Watch the Minutes To Midnight DVD. If you remember, each member took home a hard drive where they could make "seeds". Everyone made a lot of seeds and then it was all voted upon. I have a hard time believing that Chester, a guy that plays regular guitar, acoustic guitar, and piano, wrote no seeds. Next, you can SEE him in the studio when other people are working on songs. There's a TON of reasons why Chester would be in the studio, but just because you saw on the Minutes To Midnight DVD where he left after doing vocals for No More Sorrow doesn't mean he's NEVER in the studio unless he's doing vocal parts. Wrong wrong wrong. Even on the Meteora DVD you saw he's in there just as much as the others.

Next, your ENTIRE LPU 9 CD argument is flawed completely. Chester was only on 3 of 9 demos? Correct, Chester was only on the 3 demos they CHOSE. Like Mike said, demos change life throughout the entire album writing process. Also a quote he said that could be applied here is how he made a point about rapping being on the next album. There could be 100 demos and rapping is on 10 and if those 10 get chosen, that's what we hear. On the LPU 9 CD, Chester most certainly recorded more parts than we hear. I'm SURE there are Faint demos out there where he's screaming/singing. We have a Figure.09 demo of almost entirely Chester and we have a Faint demo of almost entirely Mike. You could go on for days about this. It's simply the fact that what they chose had no Chester. Chester sang on The Little Things Give You Away, he sang on No Roads Left, etc, we just didn't get those demos.

Of course Hybrid Theory was mostly made by the other guys LOL, Chester came in VERY late. However, I'm sure he helped out on a good portion of stuff as well as stuff like And One, etc. Chester isn't some robot that Mike flips the switch on and says SING HERE or something.

Lastly, I don't think there is any way for us to measure how many non-vocal contributions he's made. Maybe he made a lot and the demos got cut, maybe not. Maybe he made a lot on existing songs and they were changed, maybe not. Who really knows besides the band? We do know, yeah, that he did the Somewhere I Belong acoustic guitar intro that was reversed and we do know the Shadow Of The Day piano part. We learned about the Shadow thing like...literally less than a few months ago. Who knows what else he did on Hybrid Theory, Meteora or Minutes To Midnight that we don't know about. He could've written the bridge piano on Valentine's Day or something, we really just don't know so therefore I don't think it's appropriate to measure it.

A third of lyrics? I find that interesting because in the Meteora and Minutes To Midnight DVD he sure makes it seem like he writes a LOT more than just a third. Maybe half? Not really sure because I don't know more about the band writing music. Your last few sentences make me think you're somehow biased against the guy. He does a lot of writing I'm sure. The others write the instrumentals and he helps and then he comes in and does vocals. The whole thing you said about 5 members could write an album and call him in at the end to do vocals and noone would know the difference - you almost could apply that to any member of the band with an exception of Mike.

I think a lot of decisions of that variety can be made without him there. They can always email/text/call him with updates on what they've been working on, what he needs to listen to or sing on when he gets back...they may even email him seeds when he's out on tour if they're not overly worried about the security of doing so.

This I do agree with. Chester not being in LA though when they are doing the record is really interesting to me. Maybe he stays for a few months to record and is away from home for that period of time or something. Was he living in Arizona during the Minutes To Midnight sessions?

I know I will get ATTACKED for saying this but I agree with Ryan. DBS didn't really hold up LP. Chester is the singer in LP, he doesn't need to be there for all the other aspects of the recording process, leave that to Mike and Brad and the rest of the band. Mike and Brad and the rest of the band do so much more than Chester does for LP. Chester just....sings the vocals pretty much. Mike and the rest of the band could write a whole album and have Chester come to the studio for a day, do all the vocals and call the album done. Also, DBS didn't even do a full tour or anything. Besides, Chester lives in Arizona, LP lives in LA. Do you think he's with the rest of LP all the time? I highly doubt it. It seems like LP is more of a job now for Chester which sucks. I highly doubt he even keeps in contact with LP when they're not recording/touring. It's like hey I have to go to LA for a few days and record the vocals for the LP album and the next time I see LP will be when we tour or something. But hey, I guess that's what happens.

As for the website, I agree that DBS does need one. Myspace is a sorry excuse for a website, I mean, who the fuck even uses myspace anymore anyways? But I guess it's up to them if we ever get a website or not, we can't do anything about it unfortunately. Besides, DBS is pretty much over and done with now (until a future release) unless they do another tour so it doesn't really matter anymore. They could have done it in like August and it would have been effective.

Edited by Geki