Issues With DBS

hahninator

This is a thread to discuss problems you had with any aspect of the Dead By Sunrise project. I'll list a few of mine to start off.

- No DVD with the album. After Mark Fiore followed DBS around for years and filmed all that footage, we didn't get a DVD? Interesting.

- Jewel case album. Really? Even Fort Minor (4 years ago) had the big centerfold album piece...it was a nice additions. It got more art in, more info, etc. Jewel is destroyed very easily IMO.

- No lyrics in the booklet. Fail.

- Horrible promotion. I almost forgot the release date, lol.

- No website. I think the reason above is a direct result of this. How do you not have a website??? DBS using MySpace was an epic failure. No DBS website meant no news, no nothing. We literally had no idea about DBS radio appearances, info on shows, etc. I felt very left out as a fan of DBS.

- Scarce M&Gs. Face it, 80% of the DBS fans come from Linkin Park fans. There's no DBS fanclub but the LPU / DBS not offering M&Gs for most shows was weak.

HOWEVER, I must mention the LPU went above and beyond for DBS. The Hamburg show was just incredible. Jimmy Kimmel too. Nice job by the LPU.

Morning After and 20 Eyes. I understand why Japan gets bonus tracks, but why not put MA and/or 20E on the CBI single or why not give Japan a live bonus track?

The Japanese version has a lyrics booklet for all 13 tracks, but I'm not even sure of how accurate they are.

I like Hahninator's reasons, and would just add "No US tour" to the list.

It seems like they just threw 20 darts at a world map and went to those places in random order. I want a damn club tour, FM style. It's almost as if they want DBS to fail quickly so LP can resume "as is."

That's what happened with Scott Weiland & STP. He put out a double album a year ago, did a tiny tour, and then cancelled STP dates so they could get the big "we're going back to the studio! new album soon!" press release.

I had a problem with the music. Mostly because it sucked.

Which is why it wasn't promoted. Which is why there wasn't a real tour.

Agreed. Chester sounds way too weak on the album. He can do a lot better than this. So what if it's a side project and that it's not supposed to sound like LP. The problem is that the album is way too Poppy/ Mainstream and sadly, Emo.

I like Hahninator's reasons, and would just add "No US tour" to the list.

It seems like they just threw 20 darts at a world map and went to those places in random order. I want a damn club tour, FM style. It's almost as if they want DBS to fail quickly so LP can resume "as is."

That's what happened with Scott Weiland & STP. He put out a double album a year ago, did a tiny tour, and then cancelled STP dates so they could get the big "we're going back to the studio! new album soon!" press release.

luckily one of the darts hit Maryland so i could go hehe :) but what Hahinator and everyone else said. Astat also summed it up pretty well on DBS

Oh hell yeah how Chester said we'd get the bonus tracks and yet we never got any information on them.

Total confusion. We still don't have 20 Eyes. I guess 2 acoustic songs are all we're gonna get.

i'm hoping that since the LPU is so damn awesome now we get the rest of the acoustic tracks and 20 eyes through there. or if there's going to be another single after let down, i hope we get at least one of the songs on it. but i hope that there won't be another single because i want chester to focus only on LP and not have to multi-task.

don't get me wrong, i absolutely love the album; i would even go as far to say that some songs on there are better overall than a lot of LP songs, but since the project is such in such an unorganized mess, i'd rather see a new LP record ASAP than wait for the management to get their act together.

Edited by parth196

My number one issue with Dead By Sunrise is the timing. Terrible, absolutely terrible timing. LP is not on hiatus. The only times side projects are acceptable are on times of hiatus (see: Fort Minor). This is not hiatus time, this is production time for LP and Chester not being there 100% of the time is unacceptable.

However, this would be a least a bit OK if the music was good. But it's not. Its quite honestly some of the worst music I've heard in the past few years, and I hate to say that because I love Chaz. The lyrics and overall song structure I just don't understand. While the CBI riff is fair, Fire is one of the most absolute worse guitar tracks I have ever heard; not to mention Chester's terrible wailing all over this record. True, shouldn't have to sound like LP, but at least make good music.

Either way, the whole project is terrible. The promos, the art, I just do not like it. As a fan of music, we can all either like something or not. I do not like DBS.

He had to do the project, to let all his inner anger and frustration out. Now he has done that, close this chapter and move on with Linkin Park. And it's funny that The Rising Tied was a great album and it isn't sure that the project will have a second album, while OOA wasn't better than TRT but is getting a sequel.

The timing was indeed bad, and I agree with Preston.

My number one issue with Dead By Sunrise is the timing. Terrible, absolutely terrible timing. LP is not on hiatus. The only times side projects are acceptable are on times of hiatus (see: Fort Minor). This is not hiatus time, this is production time for LP and Chester not being there 100% of the time is unacceptable.

Agreed, to a point. This was a total 'shit or get off the pot' thing. We've heard about this side project, starting with the leak of the name 'Snow White Tan' in what... 2005? And Chester had already been working on tracks, it wasn't like he had JUST come up with a few ideas that he was putting down on paper and tape.

While he didn't spend much time working on it during the LP tours of 07 and 08... I mean, come on... We expected more. Fair or unfair, he knew this would be compared to what Mike did with FM. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that we all know which one won that battle.

- No DVD with the album. This really pissed me off to be honest. To some it's not a big deal, but I thoroughly enjoy watching the making of DVD's from LP and pretty much any other band because it gives you an inside look on the mood and evolution of the final product, plus LP ones are usually pretty funny and Ryan is hysterical so I figured the DVD would be cool, but no DVD. They released low quality making of 'clips' on myspace but no DVD? Cmon.

- No bonus tracks with the album except for Morning After and Crawl Back In (Live) from iTunes. Wtf is that. 20 Eyes should have definitely been a bonus track, as well as some STUDIO recorded acoustic tracks. That would have been amazing.

- No official website. Nobody uses myspace much anymore, Facebook, Twitter and several other social networking sites have taken full control. Why no official website? They've never given an explanation or anything. What the fuck ever happened to deadbysunrise.net or whatever?

- Again, this really pissed me off but it may not piss off most people. Why no god damn lyrics in the album booklet? Why no explanations of songs or anything like that? Mike did that with the FM album, and LP has been doing that for their past two studio albums. Fuck, even JK had lyrics in the DTA booklet.

- Where the fuck were the damn meet and greets at the shows? I went to NYC and Ulalume to see them and I met Elias and barely met Ryan and Fu. Not even that, but I wasn't prepared so I had no sharpie or anything to sign, plus I wanted to meet Chester. You would think that DBS being Chester's fucking passion project that he would be extremely grateful to the fans. If it weren't for the hardcore fans of him, hardly anyone would have attended the DBS US headlining shows. What pisses me off even more is that there was no M&G at Ulalume. NYC I can almost understand but Ulalume wasn't even a headlining show, they played second on the bill. He could have easily done a M&G with fans, fuck, even LPU members like myself! That would have been awesome. But no...

• 3 weeks later...

- No bonus tracks with the album except for Morning After and Crawl Back In (Live) from iTunes. Wtf is that. 20 Eyes should have definitely been a bonus track, as well as some STUDIO recorded acoustic tracks. That would have been amazing.

- No official website. Nobody uses myspace much anymore, Facebook, Twitter and several other social networking sites have taken full control. Why no official website? They've never given an explanation or anything. What the fuck ever happened to deadbysunrise.net or whatever?

- Again, this really pissed me off but it may not piss off most people. Why no god damn lyrics in the album booklet? Why no explanations of songs or anything like that? Mike did that with the FM album, and LP has been doing that for their past two studio albums. Fuck, even JK had lyrics in the DTA booklet.

I really agree 100% with this 3 points

- Where the fuck were the damn meet and greets at the shows? I went to NYC and Ulalume to see them and I met Elias and barely met Ryan and Fu. Not even that, but I wasn't prepared so I had no sharpie or anything to sign, plus I wanted to meet Chester. You would think that DBS being Chester's fucking passion project that he would be extremely grateful to the fans. If it weren't for the hardcore fans of him, hardly anyone would have attended the DBS US headlining shows. What pisses me off even more is that there was no M&G at Ulalume. NYC I can almost understand but Ulalume wasn't even a headlining show, they played second on the bill. He could have easily done a M&G with fans, fuck, even LPU members like myself! That would have been awesome. But no...

Okay i dont really understand why your complaining... havent you met LP like twice? You met Ryan, Elias(2x), Brandon and Fu. Why are you complaining? I havent met the band. I met JK but i didnt meet Ryan. I met Elias and Brandon the same way u did. Sooo... added to the two LP m&g's you have very little room to complain.

Okay i dont really understand why your complaining... havent you met LP like twice? You met Ryan, Elias(2x), Brandon and Fu. Why are you complaining? I havent met the band. I met JK but i didnt meet Ryan. I met Elias and Brandon the same way u did. Sooo... added to the two LP m&g's you have very little room to complain.

Except...I have the right to complain about whatever I want, freedom of speech.

Except...I have the right to complain about whatever I want, freedom of speech.

I think this is a good time to post a favorite quote of mine from the Terms of Service of another website I frequent:

"So-called "Freedom of Speech." The United States constitution protects (some of) its citizens from THE CONGRESS making laws that abridge THEIR freedom of speech. It says nothing about a non-government-affiliated website deleting posts deemed unsuitable for this site."

Not that there's anything wrong with what you said, but that statement is completely untrue when you're dealing with any organization that operates independently of the United States government.

Way to completely dodge the question, by the way.

I think this is a good time to post a favorite quote of mine from the Terms of Service of another website I frequent:

"So-called "Freedom of Speech." The United States constitution protects (some of) its citizens from THE CONGRESS making laws that abridge THEIR freedom of speech. It says nothing about a non-government-affiliated website deleting posts deemed unsuitable for this site."

Not that there's anything wrong with what you said, but that statement is completely untrue when you're dealing with any organization that operates independently of the United States government.

Way to completely dodge the question, by the way.

Go ahead and delete it then, I don't really care.