Chester vs NY Times & Rolling Stone

hahninator

If they wanted to sell a bunch they could have continued making the same music, a ton of angsty, "hardcore" kids would have eaten the shit up.

So you are implying that Linkin Park's fan base only consists of those same angsty "hardcore" kids? Or did they change the style of their music to appeal to more people? Ah, exactly.

DBS/FM= how the hell is that selling out? As a musican myself, i make music not only for my enjoyment, but also for those who are my fans *not popular, but if i was their level, i know this is how they feel* There would be no point in making a group or going solo, if its only going to be in privacy. If it's all in privacy, then basically all they are doing, is jamming together DBS and FM.

How does Chester and Mike need money by doing side projects? First of all, it's a huge risk, seeing as it has a high potential of not being 75% as successful as LP *prob. more*

Second, they are members of LP!! they have sold 40+ million albums world wide, and is pretty much WB number one act. So, the money thing is ridiculous.

How did LP sellout? Because THEY decided to change the music that they have to play too day in and day out, the music they have passion for..?

I suggest you look up critical thinking vs random thinking. and tell me what you are doing.

#1: LP doesn't decide everything. Warner Bros. has the ultimate say. They can't make an album that sounds like "mmm cookies" or it wont sell.

#2: All of you people bashing me are missing the entire point. If Chester and Mike wanted to do those side projects for fun, they didn't have to sell the music. They could have done what NIN does and accepted donations, just out put the music to share it with the world (Free). They did Fort Minor and Dead By Sunrise to make profit off of what they are doing. You are obviously too blind to see that. (My whole point of "in privacy", I didn't literally mean "private". I guess I should pay more attention on how I word things before I throw it out to the sharks...)

Don't you remember what Mike said not too long ago....they probably make a penny off of every album sale? They make most of their money off touring!

Sheesh...you guys are like little kids stuck on candy. Someone takes it away and you all whine. (rofl) You make up all these excuses to defend them when it's just the bottom line.

You are 100% wrong. LP was criticized for changing their style, meaning they did what people did not want them to do. If you create "private" music and no one ever hears it, then what's the point? They're signed to a label meaning they can not release music for free. It's their job.

As I already said, if they cared about the music only, they could create music while working elsewhere for money. (Hence, your "label" point) They KNOW their music is making millions...they want the money. I don't blame them but it's ignorant for you guys and gals to sit there and act like they care about only the music itself. All money aside.

No one "bashed" Linkin Park, Dead By Sunrise OR Fort Minor. It's just fact. You have to make music that appeals to masses by "selling out". You have to SELL THE MUSIC. That's what it means. You can like it or dislike it, but that's how it is. I like all three of the bands but I'm not a brainless consumer. I know what's up and I accept that.

Here's another scenario, Xero playing gigs, Warner offers to sign them, they accept. (DING DING DING) Sellout.

They are selling themselves to the public.

It's not about the damn music anymore at this point. It's about selling the product. If they weren't capable of creating music that sells, they wouldn't have been signed. Therefore, they keep up with the times either by nature - or the label forces them to..and they are creating the music accordingly.

$$$ <---- ----> $$$

As far as "Critical Thinking" and "Random Thinking":

"How does Chester and Mike need money by doing side projects? First of all, it's a huge risk, seeing as it has a high potential of not being 75% as successful as LP *prob. more*"

I'm not the one creating false percentages from my head.

Peace and Love. <3

Edited by rav0k

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we defend it so much...is because when someone tramples all over your favorite song...album...etc. it feels like your thus trampling all over them as well. I think you would be just as defensive if someone said you were narcissistic as well. Although it is possible we are letting the music get to our a heads a little bit to much...I could be wrong though.

I think we defend it so much...is because when someone tramples all over your favorite song...album...etc. it feels like your thus trampling all over them as well. I think you would be just as defensive if someone said you were narcissistic as well. Although it is possible we are letting the music get to our a heads a little bit to much...I could be wrong though.

People make connections with songs, that's part of what music is all about. It becomes a problem when they think the band themselves are 100% perfect people who never do wrong though. :P

Fuck critics. I don't like reading reviews ever really but these ones kind of pissed me off. 'emo'? How unprofessional is that? OOA isn't emo, it's about what Chester went through. Emo is a style of music.

Fuck critics. I don't like reading reviews ever really but these ones kind of pissed me off. 'emo'? How unprofessional is that? OOA isn't emo, it's about what Chester went through. Emo is a style of music.

What would you call it then? Because it's certainly not rock and roll. :P

Actually...the definition of sellout is:

"Informal. a person who compromises his or her personal values, integrity, talent, or the like, for money or personal advancement."

Which is

Dead By Sunrise (Chester doing a side project, not in privacy. He wants to make money from it.)

Fort Minor (Mike doing a side project, not in privacy. He wants to make money from it.)

and

Linkin Park ditching their roots to sell records.

The bad part is...people taking the term "sellout" as a HORRIBLE thing. Well, in my opinion it is (lol)...but it's not a sin to do it. Linkin Park is not the first to do this, it's part of marketing. Why in the world would a band want to sound the same on every record? They can't or they will lose people. They must experiment new sounds and make music that more people will take a liking to. I prefer Hybrid Theory over any album, others will disagree. No one is right or wrong on how their music sounds. The numbers are what matter. They are selling records to millions.

I would call Linkin Park sell out if they continue being a nu metal band

HT3 would make more money than a Minutes to midnight.

I would call Linkin Park sell out if they continue being a nu metal band

HT3 would make more money than a Minutes to midnight.

I disagree. Why would a grown adult who's never heard of Linkin Park before buy an album that sounded like angsty teenager lyrics? There would be some that do, but nowhere near the amount of fans that they have that bought Minutes to Midnight. Minutes to Midnight was very radio friendly and easy listening. A major plus to a HUGE range of people.

I can't believe some people on here...just look at some of the posts. It's funny.

Yeah, tell me about it <_<

Its a shame though, OOA was getting some real good reviews up to this point. but hey, its just criticts. We shouldn't get so worked up about. Chesters annoyed - i dont blame him - though I hardly think hes crying his eyes out over it XD

and LP aren't selling out & doint it just for the money. With that logic, ANYONE on ANY major record label is a sellout. its a stupid definition really.

Yeah, tell me about it <_<

Its a shame though, OOA was getting some real good reviews up to this point. but hey, its just criticts. We shouldn't get so worked up about. Chesters annoyed - i dont blame him - though I hardly think hes crying his eyes out over it XD

and LP aren't selling out & doint it just for the money. With that logic, ANYONE on ANY major record label is a sellout. its a stupid definition really.

http://www.billboard.com/new-releases/owen...004021117.story

here's a decent review from billboard

I never intended to post something on this topic because of the entire fucked up emo thing I can't stand. You can either refer to the term "emotional" or to the lifestyle. I don't have anything against both. Each to his own.

But I'd like to say something to this sellout thing. I remember Ryan Shuck writing a post on the JK board, in which he said that we JK fans should better hope that DBS is going to be successful, because then they would have the money to keep touring with JK.

Or something alike he said. So, it actually IS about the money. And don't tell me now that the JK guys would need it...

As I already said, if they cared about the music only, they could create music while working elsewhere for money. (Hence, your "label" point) They KNOW their music is making millions...they want the money. I don't blame them but it's ignorant for you guys and gals to sit there and act like they care about only the music itself. All money aside.

No one "bashed" Linkin Park, Dead By Sunrise OR Fort Minor. It's just fact. You have to make music that appeals to masses by "selling out". You have to SELL THE MUSIC. That's what it means. You can like it or dislike it, but that's how it is. I like all three of the bands but I'm not a brainless consumer. I know what's up and I accept that.

Here's another scenario, Xero playing gigs, Warner offers to sign them, they accept. (DING DING DING) Sellout.

They are selling themselves to the public.

It's not about the damn music anymore at this point. It's about selling the product. If they weren't capable of creating music that sells, they wouldn't have been signed. Therefore, they keep up with the times either by nature - or the label forces them to..and they are creating the music accordingly.

$$$ <---- ----> $$$

As far as "Critical Thinking" and "Random Thinking":

"How does Chester and Mike need money by doing side projects? First of all, it's a huge risk, seeing as it has a high potential of not being 75% as successful as LP *prob. more*"

I'm not the one creating false percentages from my head.

Peace and Love. <3

I'm not saying they only care about the music. I thought it was pretty apparent that they all wanted to make a career out of doing something they love :blink: and to say that all they care about is making money is wrong. If that were the case LP would release Hybrid Theory Part III IV V VI VII every year just to make more and more money and they wouldn't've done things like the LPU tour and they wouldn't have meet and greets, etc...

I'm not saying they only care about the music. I thought it was pretty apparent that they all wanted to make a career out of doing something they love :blink: and to say that all they care about is making money is wrong. If that were the case LP would release Hybrid Theory Part III IV V VI VII every year just to make more and more money and they wouldn't've done things like the LPU tour and they wouldn't have meet and greets, etc...

Of course they wanted to make a career out of music but that's what selling out is. What I have been trying to say is, everyone has all this negative attachment with the term "sellout". In fact, the term "sellout" isn't even what people are making it out to be. It's not this all end evil thing...

They DO care about the fans. They care about the music too.

Linkin Park has to be one of two bands that I like who gives a crap about their fans. (Korn is pretty good with their fans too.)

Music is their career...they HAVE to sell their music. It really didn't matter, just once again..I had to defend myself because people think I am evil for calling a band a sellout. I like to stick to technicality, and yes...technically ANY band that has signed a record label is a sellout. I like Linkin Park. I like Fort Minor. I like Dead By Sunrise. That should be the end of the conversation there. I love everyone. I love their friends. I love their animals. I love Cristina Scabbia's hairdo as well.

Of course they wanted to make a career out of music but that's what selling out is. What I have been trying to say is, everyone has all this negative attachment with the term "sellout". In fact, the term "sellout" isn't even what people are making it out to be. It's not this all end evil thing...

They DO care about the fans. They care about the music too.

Linkin Park has to be one of two bands that I like who gives a crap about their fans. (Korn is pretty good with their fans too.)

Music is their career...they HAVE to sell their music. It really didn't matter, just once again..I had to defend myself because people think I am evil for calling a band a sellout. I like to stick to technicality, and yes...technically ANY band that has signed a record label is a sellout. I like Linkin Park. I like Fort Minor. I like Dead By Sunrise. That should be the end of the conversation there. I love everyone. I love their friends. I love their animals. I love Cristina Scabbia's hairdo as well.

So basically, if I wanted to sell some art or make a movie and charge people to see it, I'm a sellout? These things cost money to make, you know. Regardless of wanting to share it with the public, albums and tours cost too much money to make it freely available to everyone.

Trent Reznor did a good thing by releasing his music for free and accepting donations for it, it was a radical move for the music industry and all...but he kind of has a lot of money now. Like, A LOT. How many albums has he made while attached to various record labels? He has the money to fund his own music, because it's not easy to do for free. Does that make him a sellout? To me, hell no. But by your definition, he is.

Sellout: An action in which principles are compromised for financial gain.

Linkin Park still has their principles. That's why we're not expecting Hybrid Theory Part IV. They care about their music.

So basically, if I wanted to sell some art or make a movie and charge people to see it, I'm a sellout? These things cost money to make, you know. Regardless of wanting to share it with the public, albums and tours cost too much money to make it freely available to everyone.

Trent Reznor did a good thing by releasing his music for free and accepting donations for it, it was a radical move for the music industry and all...but he kind of has a lot of money now. Like, A LOT. How many albums has he made while attached to various record labels? He has the money to fund his own music, because it's not easy to do for free. Does that make him a sellout? To me, hell no. But by your definition, he is.

Sellout: An action in which principles are compromised for financial gain.

Linkin Park still has their principles. That's why we're not expecting Hybrid Theory Part IV. They care about their music.

There you go, making sellout a bad term.

No one said Trent Reznor always made music for free. He signed to a label in the start though didn't he? Yes, so he was a sellout. He took the "easy" way out. It IS hard to distribute your music freely, but it happens. A lot of people do it for free.

Yes, you are a sellout if you are selling your creations for profit.

If you wanted to share your work for free with the world for the sake of knowing people are enjoying it, that is not selling out. You aren't "sell"ing your work "out" to the masses.

There are no rules that say you HAVE to charge people to see your work. I make music because I enjoy doing so and I have a myspace where people listen...comment and they wait for a new track. I haven't charged a dime yet. I don't feel that I have to. That's not where my heart is. It doesn't make you a bad person to sell your work. You just linked the definition..."principles are compromised for financial gain", there are changes there once you start making profit off of your work. Once you start getting into the money aspect, you start analyzing what people like most in your work, and you will tend to bring that side out so they will be even more interested. It's why constructive criticism exists, so you can better yourself or the project you are working on to appeal to the masses.

I really don't understand why people think sellout = not caring about the fans. They are not linked at all.

**Also, on the "movie" aspect. Are you making an independent movie with a low budget...or are we talking a big Hollywood film? If you are working for Hollywood...you signed a contract and sold your work to the company you work for. If you are making an independent film...it's your call what money you spend.

Another side note I'd like to add. Fort Minor lost money on their tour because mike had an orchestra basically with a choir, live strings, etc and they played small venues. That was intentional and just shows the commitment he had to do Fort Minor justice.

I don't think that would have happened if Mike wasn't in Linkin Park prior. He had money to work with, he paid from his own pocket. I bet the people that attended those venues didn't get in for free. :P

Edited by rav0k

DBS is the definition of emo.

I expected a skit at the end of the album where we listen to them huddled together in a group, cutting themselves.

haha

yeah dressing like they do is seriously stupid and makes them look weird...

im just glad the rest of lp are normal people that attended university and act normal, i hate musicians that act all different and dress weird to promote a random image they want you to think they are. I dont care what music you make, you dont have to look like a emo cutting homo to sing emotional music.