A Brand New EP, "Evolution of Mike Shinoda"

Stranger

A brand new compilation EP from Mike Shinoda, features his brand new single, "Already Over", "In My Head" and some Fort Minor, LINKIN PARK tracks. The released date was October 2nd, 2023 but it just appeared today. It is available on all popular streaming services, including Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Deezer, Tidal, Qobuz. Also, the EP is listed as a newest release on the LINKIN PARK and Fort Minor pages.

HQ Cover of the EP: Download

Pretty sure the point of the EP is to showcase the biggest hits with Mike's vocals. It would make absolutely no sense to include so called deep cuts like some people is suggesting. I do agree that Bleed It Out to In My Head is quite a jump though, but, being an EP, they had a very limited number of songs they could include and it makes sense to want to promote the latest singles instead of past singles. The three Linkin Park songs represent a period when the band was at their peak in popularity and the Fort Minor song is without a doubt the most popular song to come from the project.

It was weird for me why Lost Demos Compilation was released under some random United Kingdoms barcode and non like typicall Warner barcode. Now I have some info.

It seems that both this EP and the Lost Demos Compilation are not even an idea from the Warner to release those. The credits for the Evolution EP lists "X5 Music Group" label. Here's some info about it: https://www.discogs.com/label/110560-X5-Music-Group

Also:

X5 Music Group is a record label based in Stockholm, Sweden

Now it makes sense why bardoces were registered in UK. So Lost Demos Compilation and this EP are published by X5 Music Group label.

Man.. I yet again can't stop reading too much into this. Like what's with that departure from Warner, how come there's an EP with LP, FM and MS (never thought I'd see such sht compilation), why does it to me feel like songs like Crossing A Line and Already Over as singles are just Mike trying to get away from the band. I'm so lost in the unsureness about the future of LP. Might also just project personal stuff tho haha, but can someone help me not read to much into this? I feel like I'm super irrational at the moment

3 hours ago, LPsMart said:

Man.. I yet again can't stop reading too much into this. Like what's with that departure from Warner, how come there's an EP with LP, FM and MS (never thought I'd see such sht compilation), why does it to me feel like songs like Crossing A Line and Already Over as singles are just Mike trying to get away from the band. I'm so lost in the unsureness about the future of LP. Might also just project personal stuff tho haha, but can someone help me not read to much into this? I feel like I'm super irrational at the moment

X5 isn't a real label, they only do digital distribution and it looks like they basically go to labels who have artists with potential for good digital sales and go "hey why don't you do this?" They probably have a working relationship with Warner and pointed at LP and Mike and gave some suggestions for streaming releases. The EP is literally just marketing because Mike is going back to making solo music, it's not indicative of anything else.

What it means for LP, I don't know, I'm not gonna give you an optimistic outlook on that because I've really never thought LP is coming back. I don't think that it's a case of "well, we're done with LP, so I'll pivot back to solo stuff I guess," Mike very clearly simply does what he wants to do at any given time, and right now he's done being a producer for young artists and wants to make his own stuff again.

8 hours ago, gorast said:

X5 isn't a real label, they only do digital distribution and it looks like they basically go to labels who have artists with potential for good digital sales and go "hey why don't you do this?" They probably have a working relationship with Warner and pointed at LP and Mike and gave some suggestions for streaming releases. The EP is literally just marketing because Mike is going back to making solo music, it's not indicative of anything else.

Yeah, they've done stuff like a best of compilation of Fear Factory, which basically is a random playlist. I suppose they give to the original label some of the streaming royalties and in exchange the label doesn't have the headache of curating new playlists/digital records. But in 99'9% of cases not even the band members are aware of this kind of releases

Edited by bloodbath

If these new releases by MS becomes successful, WB will definitely revive LINKIN PARK because the band still have album contracts that has not been delivered by LP because of Bennington's passing. How many albums left for LP? was it 5-album deal? so OML was the first of that new contract yeah? or I'm just confused?

9 hours ago, bloodbath said:

Yeah, they've done stuff like a best of compilation of Fear Factory, which basically is a random playlist. I suppose they give to the original label some of the streaming royalties and in exchange the label doesn't have the headache of curating new playlists/digital records. But in 99'9% of cases not even the band members are aware of this kind of releases

I think the band might even not be aware of the releases like Powerless digital single etc. playlists sometimes can be created by the streaming platform.

Regarding the info about barcode etc., on spotify there is very easily way to find out if something is a playlist or album. All you have to do is check the link. For example check the name in the links:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DZ06evO3RAjTi

https://open.spotify.com/album/0CPTcgnt3VIejOtwDPhaQ0

and you will know which one is a playlist and which one isn't.

9 hours ago, RYG4R said:

If these new releases by MS becomes successful, WB will definitely revive LINKIN PARK because the band still have album contracts that has not been delivered by LP because of Bennington's passing. How many albums left for LP? was it 5-album deal? so OML was the first of that new contract yeah? or I'm just confused?

Are you sure about what you are saying? 

3 hours ago, lp921x said:

Everyone knows that Minutes to Midnight is the greatest album of all time. The band should have disbanded after they completed touring for the album, either that or just never make new music again and keep touring the world with the 2007/2008 set lists forever.

Well, that's a hot take and a half. I love Minutes, I do, but to say they should have stopped after that is honestly pretty absurd. Songs like The Catalyst, Burning in the Skies, When They Come For Me, Castle of Glass, Powerless, Lost in the Echo, Final Masquerade, A Line in the Sand, Guilty All The Same, Until it's Gone, and dude this is just a very short list of the top of my head of some shit that seriously holds up. We never would have gotten those. At least half of those songs have pulled me out of some dark fucking shit, personally. To each their own, I guess, but to say they should have disbanded is a stretch and a half.

3 hours ago, SardonicallyParanoid said:

Well, that's a hot take and a half. I love Minutes, I do, but to say they should have stopped after that is honestly pretty absurd. Songs like The Catalyst, Burning in the Skies, When They Come For Me, Castle of Glass, Powerless, Lost in the Echo, Final Masquerade, A Line in the Sand, Guilty All The Same, Until it's Gone, and dude this is just a very short list of the top of my head of some shit that seriously holds up. We never would have gotten those. At least half of those songs have pulled me out of some dark fucking shit, personally. To each their own, I guess, but to say they should have disbanded is a stretch and a half.

Welcome to LPLive. Don't argue with Geki, it's pointless.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:42 AM, RYG4R said:

If this were true, the remasters would count as would live albums/greatest hits. Liam Gallagher just got out of his numbered deal with Warner by releasing 3 live albums (Unplugged, Down By The River and Knebworth 22). I think the band would easily wrap it up with Live Album releases and remasters which are already active.

Mike's deal will be completely seperate and will not inlcude LP releases

What a mess still with those standard and bonus editions of the Meteora album. For example the version of the Faint in those editions (which is the same version as used on this Mike's EP) contains one and half second of silence at the beginning and intro fade-in. The album version don't have those differences and has the length 2:42, not 2:44.