Mike Shinoda NFT Comments

LPLStaff

Did anyone else catch the quoted replies to Mike on Twitter about NFTs?

Mike recently struck a nerve with the gamer community over his seemingly innocent speculation about NFTs for gamers, bringing in an oddly significant amount of backlash.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

3 minutes ago, xeroboi said:

Should stick to music nft are pointless 

it's not pointless if it's making money. people like Mike wont make something pointless. 

also, i noticed that there's a trend where people want to jump into the trend or bandwagon on hating something. just because NFT is not your cup of tea, doesnt mean everyone should follow. 

I wasn't sure if I should post anything here since the whole topic is so off putting to me and I lost all my interest in Mike as an artist.

Instead of reconsidering his view and maybe observe the space and just doing his thing he keeps on doubling down while obviously having very limited knowledge and understanding of what he is talking about. Which is fine, he is an arist, not a tech person, so it is given that his knowledge about technical stuff is limited. But he should accept that instead of starting a completely misleading discussion. It's the same problem I have with his NFT obsession since the start: he misleads his followers about the whole NFT thing, even though he most probably (and hopefully) doesn't intend to. He is a role model to so many people and people will trust his opinion and ideas. People will put their money into NFTs just because of his opinions without understanding what they are getting into. In the end it's their own fault, but he has to be aware of his position and act accordingly. He did that very carefully in the start but I feel like that's completely lost and it's getting worse and worse.

But I am just repeating what I posted before, here are some thoughts about a couple of the recent tweets that make it super obvious that he doesn't really know what he is talking about and why he should be more careful with the whole topic.

That tweet sums up that he still hasn't quite understood what the problem with crypto regarding energy consumption is. Youtube, twitch, and every other company along those lines try to minimize their energy usage to a minimum. Every CPU cycle and therefore watt twitch is saving, is more money in their pocket. And, guess what, twitch wants to have as much money in their bank account as possible, so they try everything possible to save energy. Crypto on the other side (at least proof of work blockchains like Ethereum) intentionally wastes energy by design. Multiple useless calculations are done just to verify a transaction. Dozens of computers do really complex math, of which the result will be thrown away, just so they can tell the blockchain that they are really trying hard to keep the blockchain running and then they can confirm a transaction. When you do a payment with your credit card, one server at mastercard for example will check the balance in a database, tell the system that the transaction is fine and then just add it. Both examples are heavily simplified but it is obvious that Mastercard is doing the most efficient thing (because that's what saves them money) while crypto is doing a convoluted mess by design just to keep the system working.

How out of touch can you be to not know that crypto is affecting the chip shortage that is going on since like 2 years? Every single person who wants to buy anything from a phone, a new PS5, a GPU to a car is affected by it since ages. Even toner cartridges are fucked by now because of it. If you have no clue about the part crypto plays in it you have no place of being a person who publicly defends crypto in general. People lose jobs at factories because car manufacturers can't get enough chips while he is definding owning a freaking JPEG. Obviously the chip shortage is happening because of many factors and crypto is not the only reason behind it but it is still part of the problem that puts more pressure on an already bad problem.

Not a single gamer likes micro transaction. They put up with it because there is no way around it. Look at the bullshit FIFA is pulling with FIFA Ultimate Team since years and tell me that's a system we should embrace and take even further.

Games like Ghost of Tsushima are possible because Sony can invest millions into a project like that. If people stop buying skins and other in game items from the developer, because they can just trade them back and forth from other persons, the publishers won't make enough money to fund huge projects anymore. 

I just picked out a couple of tweets where I thought I have something additional to say that wasn't already discussed broadly on twitter. There are so many more things in the twitter replies.

/rant

Edited by Coizu

I don't have a problem with Mike being into NFTs. I'm not really interested in his NFT work but I'm not going to lose respect for Mike just because he wants to do something he enjoys doing.

However, the thing that kind of annoyed me is about Mike not knowing about the chip shortage that has literally been happening for about 2 years now... 

The fact that Mike try’s to defend something he doesn’t know shit about is what makes me mad about this whole NFT shit.

For someone who is supossedly “all about the climate/environment” he really seems to have no idea what the impact on the climate this shit has.

I really don't like the forcefulness of crypto-minded people, and unfortunately this is something that I'm seeing from Mike.

Here's another stance: why can't I just not give a fuck about NFT's and that be okay? Why can't NFT circle-jerkers be okay that other people don't want to get involved? If you're personally really raking it in, then why are you so desperate for EVERYONE to get involved?! Starting to sound like those spam adverts you get... "see how this single mum makes £250,000 per WEEK in your area!!"

Edited by Wilderness

1 hour ago, Wilderness said:

I really don't like the forcefulness of crypto-minded people, and unfortunately this is something that I'm seeing from Mike.

Here's another stance: why can't I just not give a fuck about NFT's and that be okay? Why can't NFT circle-jerkers be okay that other people don't want to get involved? If you're personally really raking it in, then why are you so desperate for EVERYONE to get involved?! Starting to sound like those spam adverts you get... "see how this single mum makes £250,000 per WEEK in your area!!"

I think there are some people (and I hope Mike is part of this group) that sincerely believe that it’s something great and revolutionary but for a big group it‘s simple: people who view it as a speculative asset and who are invested in it need a constant flow of new money into the system. It‘s the same as with crypto currencies or the stock market: once people stop pouring money into it, the prices will stagnate at best or the market will crash since people start to liquidate their assets without any new influx of money. Convincing new people to invest their money into it is the easiest way to guarantee more cash. 

The problem with NFTs is the education behind them. People could fathom up something about them right now, by tomorrow someone will be claiming blind that's how it works as a fact.

I for one do not care enough about crypto currency or blockchains to even start educating myself on the subject. I pay for art with money accessible from my employment, which for a vast majority of individuals will not change any time soon.

2 hours ago, deanowardust said:

I pay for art with money accessible from my employment, which for a vast majority of individuals will not change any time soon.

Let's hope so. Maybe we will grow old and younger people will laugh at us like we did when our parents or grandparents stopped going with the times.

7 hours ago, deanowardust said:

Like when Mini Disc was the future you mean.

there's a try & error for those stuff. Mini Disc lead to something else, improved version (eg: MP3, MP4 player). same goes with NFT, it will lead to something better. at the moment people will laugh and bashing as hard as they can but once it will be "norm" in the future, people will understood. i'm not NFT person but i like how it goes, the system. the more you learn, the more you discover. problem with people nowadays they love to jump straight to conclusion without taking time to understood. it's not your cup of tea but it might be for someone else. 

Literally don't care about the NFTs, have not followed it at all. Thought it was so weird Mike sold a 37 second clip of One Hundredth Stream for $36,000 and all of us thought he was selling the actual song in full lol

There isn't any real downside to him doing NFTs for the LP community. He's releasing music and has made everything available musically to everyone that he's sold as NFTs. So why does it matter that much to us? He pissed off the gamer community but that's their problem they have with him about coming up with hypothetical futuristic situations. He preaches all the time about like, "don't get into NFTs if you don't know what you are doing" to the LP fans. In that regard, he isn't being careless about being a "leader" for some folks in that area.

Just don't see it as such a huge deal when he's always been interested in new technology for pretty much the entire history of the band. We don't pay it any attention since we aren't interested. Some people may like it, so that's fine.

45 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Literally don't care about the NFTs, have not followed it at all. Thought it was so weird Mike sold a 37 second clip of One Hundredth Stream for $36,000 and all of us thought he was selling the actual song in full lol

There isn't any real downside to him doing NFTs for the LP community. He's releasing music and has made everything available musically to everyone that he's sold as NFTs. So why does it matter that much to us? He pissed off the gamer community but that's their problem they have with him about coming up with hypothetical futuristic situations. He preaches all the time about like, "don't get into NFTs if you don't know what you are doing" to the LP fans. In that regard, he isn't being careless about being a "leader" for some folks in that area.

Just don't see it as such a huge deal when he's always been interested in new technology for pretty much the entire history of the band. We don't pay it any attention since we aren't interested. Some people may like it, so that's fine.

Preach. these are the words that im looking for. some LP fans thought they owned Mike and can decide what's good or not for him, that's pretty bad and sick. NFT is one of Mike's side project/hobby and he doesnt owe any fans for it. 

If a person is promoting and participating in something that I think is morally and ethically wrong, then it will surely affect me and my opinion of this person.
It‘s fine if other people don‘t care but I think it is totally understandable if people have a strong opinion here. 

7 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

He preaches all the time about like, "don't get into NFTs if you don't know what you are doing" to the LP fans. In that regard, he isn't being careless about being a "leader" for some folks in that area.

sorry, but this is plain out wrong by now. He said things like „people think this is bigger than bitcoin“, „prices usually go up after the first mint“, „embrace the fomo“ etc. He is making people afraid of missing out on something. If he hypes up something and then puts a small disclaimer at the end it doesn‘t free him up of all responsibility. 

Edited by Coizu