"Happy Endings" Music Video

LPLStaff

31 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

This song grew up on me a little bit.

But Mike has to stop trying to be the cool old dude between the young kids.

Yeah, it is a bit wierd. The video is a bit cringe to me, it’s like a home video of dad hanging out with his kids and their friends.

Edited by Bambitt

39 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

But Mike has to stop trying to be the cool old dude between the young kids.

"trying to be the cool old dude" he's always cool since the beginning. not even trying. 🤔 Mike is the only person in the band who's always supporting clothing line like The Hundreds and more. 

15 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

Yeah, it is a bit wierd. The video is a bit cringe to me, it’s like a home video of dad hanging out with his kids and their friends.

wondering what kind of video you're expecting for this kind of track? plus, it's pandemic season. give him a break.

1 hour ago, Stranger said:

"trying to be the cool old dude" he's always cool since the beginning. not even trying. 🤔 Mike is the only person in the band who's always supporting clothing line like The Hundreds and more. 

Yeah the clothing is just Mike's style. It is jarring to see him alongside 20-21 year olds, though. I understand and appreciate what he's doing, using his platform to elevate younger talent, but I would love to see him collab with some more well established artists.

Mike could easily look like a 30ish year old to some people, not everyone knows he's in his 40s. And even if you do, does it really matter that he's making music with younger people? They are clearly offering something musically that's got him interested in collaborating. It's not like he and LP haven't collabed with contemporaries or even older acts like Chester dueting Yesterday or Rakim/Paige Hamilton/Tom Morello on THP. I think it's a bit silly to focus on age for an artistic collaboration like this. 

That being said, I do sometimes wonder how much Mike cares about staying relevant. I know he portrays it as something he hardly thinks about, but he does sometimes come across as being strategic in that area and it would be weird if he collabed for that purpose. But I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt here and say he's just enthusiastic about new sounds coming from younger crowds and he himself is genuinely pretty good at staying on-trend all things considered. 

12 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

Mike could easily look like a 30ish year old to some people, not everyone knows he's in his 40s. And even if you do, does it really matter that he's making music with younger people? They are clearly offering something musically that's got him interested in collaborating. It's not like he and LP haven't collabed with contemporaries or even older acts like Chester dueting Yesterday or Rakim/Paige Hamilton/Tom Morello on THP. I think it's a bit silly to focus on age for an artistic collaboration like this. 

That being said, I do sometimes wonder how much Mike cares about staying relevant. I know he portrays it as something he hardly thinks about, but he does sometimes come across as being strategic in that area and it would be weird if he collabed for that purpose. But I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt here and say he's just enthusiastic about new sounds coming from younger crowds and he himself is genuinely pretty good at staying on-trend all things considered. 

Good point on the collabs, the did a song with Rakim that was nearing 50 and then with Kiiara that was 19 at that time. 

19 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

Where is the "Like" button? I want to use it on this post.

37 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

I do sometimes wonder how much Mike cares about staying relevant. I know he portrays it as something he hardly thinks about, but he does sometimes come across as being strategic in that area and it would be weird if he collabed for that purpose.

This is what I was thinking. You worded it better than I did lol. I especially thought this after the Billie Eilish and Finneas photos he posted.

And for the record, I'm not saying being strategic in that area would be a bad thing necessarily. This is Mike's career, and it's how he supports himself and his family. There is a business element involved with who you decide to collaborate with. I get that.

as a 21 year old musician... it would be an honor to be dancing and singing between Mike Shinoda in a song and video :P

the hook of this song doesn't get old for me. I love how Upsahl's and Mike's voices sound together on it. Cool video - you can tell the editing style is definitely very current, if they put together a filter or something they could market this even better on TikTok/Reels. fun little video!

9 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

That being said, I do sometimes wonder how much Mike cares about staying relevant. I know he portrays it as something he hardly thinks about, but he does sometimes come across as being strategic in that area and it would be weird if he collabed for that purpose

It'd be ridiculous to say he's not pretty plugged into that, but I think it's a good mix of both. A lot of new "underground but still kind of popular artists" are bending genres in a way that Mike's talked about in the past very much appreciating. I don't think he'd collab with, say, a standard 21 year old metal vocalist or generic rapper for a mix of "what are they bringing that any of my other contacts can't" and "would this sell". I've always thought Mike was very good at toeing the line between experimenting and being commercially viable, and this whole song is just another example of that IMO

Classic video that you would see in the screens of HM or Forever 21.

With that said, if he only cared about popularity he would comfortably make a song with Eillish or similar, instead he chooses upcoming artists. Good for him, hes having fun

On 3/12/2021 at 5:03 AM, Cesar656 said:

If he only cared about popularity he would comfortably make a song with Eillish or similar

Mike literally posted a pic of him with Billie Eilish a few days ago, and her brother (and songwriting partner) tweeted about the day Mike put his number in Finneas' phone. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if a Mike Shinoda/Billie Eilish collab does happen soon.

55 minutes ago, Justin said:

Mike literally posted a pic of him with Billie Eilish a few days ago, and her brother (and songwriting partner) tweeted about the day Mike put his number in Finneas' phone. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if a Mike Shinoda/Billie Eilish collab does happen soon.

Someone should directly ask him why he doesnt collaborate with big names.

13 minutes ago, JZlinkinparamore said:

Mike is Mike, he loves being “I wrote a song with <Insert an underground artist name you never heard> he/she is very cool”. Apparently he likes working with unexpected artists, and I respect his choice. In addition to that, a  collaboration with a super huge name would probably generate hype and great expectations, like imagine a collab with, say, Eminem turning out to be “meh”.

10 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Mike is Mike, he loves being “I wrote a song with <Insert an underground artist name you never heard> he/she is very cool”. Apparently he likes working with unexpected artists, and I respect his choice. In addition to that, a  collaboration with a super huge name would probably generate hype and great expectations, like imagine a collab with, say, Eminem turning out to be “meh”.

He literally asked Eminem to do a track with LP, he never said no but he never replied.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:56 PM, JZlinkinparamore said:

Jay Z, Rakim, Tom Morello, Stormzy, Pusha T, Steve Aoki and Blackbear (+ production credit collab) are all pretty big names imo. Some are newer and not legacy acts, but I don't think Mike has anything against big names. If he got in the mood to make another THP album (highly unlikely but as an example), I don't think he'd hesitate to work with Metallica or Slayer or any other big name legacy act for example. I also think if he just happened to get to know Bilie, Halsey, or any contemporary big pop star, they'd absolutely collab if it worked. 

Not to mention, at the Chester memorial, we got videos from U2, had Alaniss Morisette on stage, etc. mixed with other newer artists. I think he has plenty of collab diversity over his career at this point. 

4 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

Jay Z, Rakim, Tom Morello, Stormzy, Pusha T, Steve Aoki and Blackbear (+ production credit collab) are all pretty big names imo. Some are newer and not legacy acts, but I don't think Mike has anything against big names. If he got in the mood to make another THP album (highly unlikely but as an example), I don't think he'd hesitate to work with Metallica or Slayer or any other big name legacy act for example. I also think if he just happened to get to know Bilie, Halsey, or any contemporary big pop star, they'd absolutely collab if it worked. 

Not to mention, at the Chester memorial, we got videos from U2, had Alaniss Morisette on stage, etc. mixed with other newer artists. I think he has plenty of collab diversity over his career at this point. 

We are talking about Mike's solo career (recent years)