Mike Interview w/ The Needle Drop

LPLStaff

8 minutes ago, KlaytonShinoda said:

Although I wouldn't deny that Mike's comment about "Radio these days plays mostly Disney music so it may be a reason why we decided to make the record sound like that" really caught me off guard and came off as goofy and a bit pretentious.

I very much agree. I never did like that part of THP's promotion. He shit on pop music basically and even named some examples. That was definitely odd and felt out of character for him both before and since.

The most ironic part was that he spent that time talking about how music has gone soft and all that, but then the first single from LP's next album was Heavy.

7 minutes ago, Justin said:

I very much agree. I never did like that part of THP's promotion. He shit on pop music basically and even named some examples. That was definitely odd and felt out of character for him both before and since.

The most ironic part was that he spent that time talking about how music has gone soft and all that, but then the first single from LP's next album was Heavy.

THP promoting campaign was a mess: Mike going “fuck pop” mode hating on Chvrches and stuff like that, then touring with 30STM (a band that I love but that is the perfect example of rock gone pop), then literally giving up on playing more than half of the record live after saying “it’s going to be great to play those songs live”, and then dropping Heavy, the closest thing to Disney pop the band has ever done. 
At least now Mike is coherent, he seems to like what he does, and doesn’t try to disguise stuff like “Happy Endings” for what it’s not (a super trendy aiming for young audiences, suitable for commercial spots tune). 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

5 minutes ago, Justin said:

Exactly. It would be funny if someone would ask him about that on Twitch.

26 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

THP promoting campaign was a mess: Mike going “fuck pop” mode hating on Chvrches and stuff like that, then touring with 30STM (a band that I love but that is the perfect example of rock gone pop), then literally giving up on playing more than half of the record live after saying “it’s going to be great to play those songs live”, and then dropping Heavy, the closest thing to Disney pop the band has ever done. 
At least now Mike is coherent, he seems to like what he does, and doesn’t try to disguise stuff like “Happy Endings” for what it’s not (a super trendy aiming for young audiences, suitable for commercial spots tune). 

Hahaha I forgot about that. All the band members seemed super excited and kept saying how much fun it would be to play all the songs live only to then not play half of the songs from that album, not counting The Summoning and Drawbar.

I think what may have happened is that they fully intended to play all the songs live, but then they realized that in order to fit into their time limit they would have to either drop some of their live staples, which all the casual fans come to see, or they would have to do shorten even more songs to fit them in and turn them into a medley. They may have just not wanted to do either thing and THP songs were the victim of that.

Edited by Justin

You guys bring up really good points. I totally forgot about all the weird messaging during THP promo, and that probably contributed to its lukewarm reception. LP still dealt w endless double standards, but they definitely played a role in the THP debacle which is unfortunate

Edit: GATS deserved better dammit! Rakim’s verse over the bands breakdown is simply music at its peak! 

Edited by OKCrew

5 hours ago, Justin said:

Haha, that's right. Weren't they even like "I wanna make only guitar driven music from now on!"?

7 hours ago, Justin said:

Hahaha I forgot about that. All the band members seemed super excited and kept saying how much fun it would be to play all the songs live only to then not play half of the songs from that album, not counting The Summoning and Drawbar.

I think what may have happened is that they fully intended to play all the songs live, but then they realized that in order to fit into their time limit they would have to either drop some of their live staples, which all the casual fans come to see, or they would have to do shorten even more songs to fit them in and turn them into a medley. They may have just not wanted to do either thing and THP songs were the victim of that.

Agree 

LP had a big missed opportunity to play some of those Hybrid Theory deep cuts on the Carnivores Tour. The "DJ-style" set wasn't very good for a rock album, it would have fit Living Things better. But no complaints about the LT tour besides it being way too short (needed another USA tour and a European arena tour)... the LT setlists were very good.

They should have done a Hybrid Theory club tour to start 2014 (10 USA shows, 10 Euro shows, a few in South America/Asia/Australia) and then done Carnivores Tour with some of the deeper cuts but also loaded up on THP songs. Keys, ALITS, All For Nothing, Rebellion, play all of that. GATS.

11 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

LP had a big missed opportunity to play some of those Hybrid Theory deep cuts on the Carnivores Tour. The "DJ-style" set wasn't very good for a rock album, it would have fit Living Things better. But no complaints about the LT tour besides it being way too short (needed another USA tour and a European arena tour)... the LT setlists were very good.

They should have done a Hybrid Theory club tour to start 2014 (10 USA shows, 10 Euro shows, a few in South America/Asia/Australia) and then done Carnivores Tour with some of the deeper cuts but also loaded up on THP songs. Keys, ALITS, All For Nothing, Rebellion, play all of that. GATS.

HT Deep Cuts will be fkin amazing during Carnivore Tour. but it seems like they really rushing during those times. maybe due to 2 years gap for each album (ATS, LT, THP).

but tbh, THP always have the special place in my heart til now. I can blast the entire album just like i did for HT & Meteora. maybe because i love the heavier side of LP.

3 minutes ago, Stranger said:

HT Deep Cuts will be fkin amazing during Carnivore Tour. but it seems like they really rushing during those times. maybe due to 2 years gap for each album (ATS, LT, THP).

but tbh, THP always have the special place in my heart til now. I can blast the entire album just like i did for HT & Meteora. maybe because i love the heavier side of LP.

I never listen to THP first half, weakest first side of a LP album ever IMO. But I remember the hype for LP going heavy again after so many years. 

2 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

I never listen to THP first half, weakest first side of a LP album ever IMO. But I remember the hype for LP going heavy again after so many years. 

haaa, surprisingly, i love the first half of THP. From KTTK up to Rebellion. ALITS is fking beast IMO. Rock is dying. they did the album the justice. but wrong time. 2014 is not rock season for mainstream music. Mike's rapping in THP is fkin dope. still remember listening to KTTK & AFN at the listening party for the first time ever, my jaw's drop. 😂 

They didn't spend much time rehearsing for the 2014 world tour as evidenced by the amount of new songs they played. LP probably realized they didn't play many new songs on the LT and THP world tours, so they started rehearsing for the OML tour in February 2017, quite a few months before the tour actually even started. Then we see what happened, they debuted almost the entire album right away. Pretty great. OML tour sets were very good.

20 minutes ago, Stranger said:

haaa, surprisingly, i love the first half of THP. From KTTK up to Rebellion. ALITS is fking beast IMO. Rock is dying. they did the album the justice. but wrong time. 2014 is not rock season for mainstream music. Mike's rapping in THP is fkin dope. still remember listening to KTTK & AFN at the listening party for the first time ever, my jaw's drop. 😂 

I loved the 1st half when the album dropped, but now it’s not something i revisit very often (despite the fact that GATS is insane instrumentally). My fav songs off the record are Final Masquerade and Rebellion by far. 

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

They didn't spend much time rehearsing for the 2014 world tour as evidenced by the amount of new songs they played. LP probably realized they didn't play many new songs on the LT and THP world tours, so they started rehearsing for the OML tour in February 2017, quite a few months before the tour actually even started. Then we see what happened, they debuted almost the entire album right away. Pretty great. OML tour sets were very good.

I dont buy that 

THP songs that they never did was because they were very complex and difficult to play live, technically they were way harder than any OML song.

they even dropped GATS because the linkin ladies got hurt while playing it.

OML songs were easy for them to play them thats why even Mike on his solo tour was able to nail them.

Edited by JZ-AmendsStripped29

1 hour ago, Stranger said:

i 100% agree with all of this. I loved the whole thing

20 hours ago, KlaytonShinoda said:

You mean artists/creators don't need big views to be able to live or eat? Or did you intentionally made that assumption to make Anthony look bad here? The interview to me seemed very professional and polite, don't know what you're talking about.

That's not what I said at all, that's the assumption you're looking for. Anthony explicitly did not understand or comment on the point Mike was referring to. Under NO circumstance did Mike or anybody say that it's wrong/bad/negative to do what you have to do to be successful and provide for yourself. I completely endorse that, so did Mike.

Mike was trying to say "but Anthony, you can't just put yourself in the artist's shoes and make assumptions about their motives for music. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't - either way, as a critic - that is not something you can say with certainty"

You can watch the interview again, Mike holds his tongue but he's passionate. All he was trying to do was get Fantano to understand that, and probably because he called out LP's music as sell-outs at some point. Mike rebutted that because HT sold 30 million copies, some of the stuff written off by the needledrop was more artistic than he gave credit too, and that's a detrimental and incorrect take to say that about any artist you have a hunch about. Mike then lets melon ramble, then changes the subject which is the ultimate good guy move.

I sub to fantano, i've listened to dozens of interviews/roundups/reviews and it's been inspirational for me to start reviewing music too. I respect both of them, but in this specific case you both just missed the point

this is more cringy than watching Crawling MV in 2021 and thinking that everything about the song, the video and the band’s look is great and elegant. 
I enjoyed his interview with Mike and I think he is very competent about music in general, but I don’t like his attitude of acting like things in music are objective, I legitimately like OML a lot more than anything Kendrick Lamar has ever done in his career, and I don’t feel an idiot or someone who has poor taste for that 

Yeah, see stuff like this is why I didn't get when some people here on LPL were like "Wow you disliked the guy simply because his opinion differs from yours"? No. It's because he went way overboard every time LP or Mike Shinoda came up on his channels.

It also makes me wonder what the "people on Twitter" were referring to when they told Mike that Fantano was actually an LP fan and liked their stuff.

What album was he even referring to in this video? Was it THP?

35 minutes ago, Justin said:

What album was he even referring to in this video? Was it THP?

Yeah that’s why his review of OML was particularly annoying, because everything he said he wanted out of OML, was what THP was, which he refused to listen to lol

I think it was THP. 
He liked HT back in the day but he refers to the album as “something I enjoyed when I was a teenager” as many others do... those people who think that if you like HT despite being over 18 y.o. You are childish