Mike Interview w/ The Needle Drop

LPLStaff

@theneedledrop has announced that Mike will be a special guest for a new interview on Friday, February 19th.

"A N N O U N C I N G

An interview with Mike Shinoda.
(@mikeshinoda)

Friday, 2/19

1PM EST / 10AM PST"

The interview can be viewed on The Needle Drop's Twitch channel here. Mike usually streams on Twitch at the same time (10AM PST) but will be joining The Needle Drop at the same time instead. 

The Needle Drop, known as Anthony Fantano, "is an American music critic, interviewer, YouTuber and internet personality known for his music-related YouTube channel The Needle Drop and its companion website. His website and YouTube videos discuss and review a variety of music genres." (Wikipedia).

5 minutes ago, JZ-AmendsStripped29 said:

Time for some hypocrisy 

It'll be a really interesting interview if Fantano stands by his criticisms.

Somebody asked him after Chester died if he's reevaluated his view of OML and he said he hadn't and that it's still terrible to him. So it'll be an interesting chat. 

Why should he re-evaluate? It was his opinion, he didn't mind other LP albums, he didn't like OML. It's not like OML is the greatest LP album tbh. There are some good songs (NCSM, TTM, SE or BS) but overall it felt a bit underwhelming at the time and still feels like it to me regarding the circumstances which happened later on. I still skip Invisible, Good Goodbye or Sorry For Now. The interview's gonna be interesting nevertheless. I do not think there should be any apologies. LP did an album they strongly believed is good, a reviewer didn't. It's not like that OML is the only album ever with negative reviews. There's ton of them. I know positive reviews make the artist feel good and the negative just tear them down, I lived through that myself as my band's album received both very positive and some negative reviews. And the negative always tend to hurt. But I wouldn't want anyone to apologize for a bad review of my album. 

He also wasn't nice to PT (Mike acknowledged Anthony's dislike of his music on Twitter yesterday).

Don't think he hates their stuff but definitely not a fan for sure. I'm extremely curious to see the interview.

Edit: now I DO remember him praising Mike for his Twitch tracks, maybe he likes his music deep down.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

Just now, KlaytonShinoda said:

He also wasn't nice to PT.

Don't think he hates their stuff but definitely not a fan for sure. I'm very curious to see it.

Yeah he said he didn’t care about the music and lyrics. I would have never thought Fantano would have interviewed Mike, we’ll see what happens. 

9 hours ago, Bambitt said:

Why should he re-evaluate? It was his opinion, he didn't mind other LP albums, he didn't like OML. It's not like OML is the greatest LP album tbh. There are some good songs (NCSM, TTM, SE or BS) but overall it felt a bit underwhelming at the time and still feels like it to me regarding the circumstances which happened later on. I still skip Invisible, Good Goodbye or Sorry For Now. The interview's gonna be interesting nevertheless. I do not think there should be any apologies. LP did an album they strongly believed is good, a reviewer didn't. It's not like that OML is the only album ever with negative reviews. There's ton of them. I know positive reviews make the artist feel good and the negative just tear them down, I lived through that myself as my band's album received both very positive and some negative reviews. And the negative always tend to hurt. But I wouldn't want anyone to apologize for a bad review of my album. 

I wasn’t saying he should reevaluate. I was saying it’ll be more a interesting interview because he won’t. 

32 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

Oh ok cool, I misunderstood that :)

Yeah his review of OML was fairly brutal and I disagreed with a lot of it, but I at least respect the fact that, while he acknowledged that it's tragic that Chester is gone, his opinion of OML hasn't changed.

I should also point out that while his review was indeed brutal, it wasn't just a mindless hate fest like a lot of people had when OML came out. Meaning it wasn't "THIS IS POP! POP IS BAD!" Fantano is knowledgeable about what he does, so I could see where his criticisms were coming from even if I disagreed.

10 minutes ago, Justin said:

Yeah his review of OML was fairly brutal and I disagreed with a lot of it, but I at least respect the fact that, while he acknowledged that it's tragic that Chester is gone, his opinion of OML hasn't changed.

I should also point out that while his review was indeed brutal, it wasn't just a mindless hate fest like a lot of people had when OML came out. Meaning it wasn't "THIS IS POP! POP IS BAD!" Fantano is knowledgeable about what he does, so I could see where his criticisms were coming from even if I disagreed.

I agree with you. The amount of hate towards the pop direction at the time was absurd. 

4 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

I agree with you. The amount of hate towards the pop direction at the time was absurd. 

Yeah and at least I’m happy the response to Mike’s solo stuff and the new song is generally positive. I mean, at least some people learned that it’s not POP=SHIT. Also, you can express distaste for a song/album/band without being offensive, I don’t like Happy Endings but I’d never act like IT’S SHIT/GARBAGE/MIKE SHOULD STOP MAKING MUSIC or stuff like that, I’d be a childish stupid idiot. 

30 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Yeah and at least I’m happy the response to Mike’s solo stuff and the new song is generally positive. I mean, at least some people learned that it’s not POP=SHIT. Also, you can express distaste for a song/album/band without being offensive, I don’t like Happy Endings but I’d never act like IT’S SHIT/GARBAGE/MIKE SHOULD STOP MAKING MUSIC or stuff like that, I’d be a childish stupid idiot. 

Exactly, I’m not a fan of HE, but I get some fans enjoy it. Why not, everyone has a different taste.

[rant] The thing that frustrated me most about his OML review was that he REFUSED to listen to THP 3 years earlier, and ALL he was saying LP should have been doing on OML (returning to roots but demonstrating lyrical/musical progress, etc) was EXACTLY what THP was. And he wasn’t the only one.

THP was a criminally unnoticed album, and OML made sense as a response in that context. What was shitty, was that Fantano (among many, many others) chose to ignore THP, and then took OML as an opportunity to dump on how LP “lost their way” or “sold out.” The “poppy” sound of OML is actually a progression when you look at in its proper context. Ppl just attracted to negativity ig [/rant]

Actually one more thing: there’s an irony in that in THP was LP returning to “their roots” likely in part because there had been so much pressure for 10+ years at that point from “fans” and the public to do so, and then it basically flopped, whereas OML was LP trying something that was actually a new approach for them because they wanted to, and got accused of “selling out.” I remember feeling so frustrated for the band in May/June 2017 because of this, and it’s actually immediately where my mind went when I got the news in July 😔 

1 minute ago, OKCrew said:

Actually one more thing: there’s an irony in that in THP was LP returning to “their roots” likely in part because there had been so much pressure for 10+ years at that point from “fans” and the public to do so, and then it basically flopped, whereas OML was LP trying something that was actually a new approach for them because they wanted to, and got accused of “selling out.” I remember feeling so frustrated for the band in May/June 2017 because of this, and it’s actually immediately where my mind went when I got the news in July 😔 

Some people saw THP like "Lol these guys are in their late 30's trying to make music like they did in their early 20's", then heard OML and said "Why don't they make more music like HT and Meteora?!"

You just can't win with some people, and I think LP accepted that a while ago. 

11 minutes ago, Justin said:

Some people saw THP like "Lol these guys are in their late 30's trying to make music like they did in their early 20's", then heard OML and said "Why don't they make more music like HT and Meteora?!"

💯💯💯

27 minutes ago, Justin said:

THIS. But when Foo Fighters drop 3 meh consecutive records those same people are like “ROCK LEGENDS 9/10, true masters” 

1 minute ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

THIS. But when Foo Fighters drop 3 meh consecutive records those same people are like “ROCK LEGENDS 9/10, true masters” 

This made me lol 😂 I def agree with you, but i also let the “rock absolutists” have it. It’s important to remember a lot of the unfair criticism LP gets is just because of just how big they are. I could be totally wrong but last I checked it was hard to even name a band that comes close in terms of straight numbers for the past 20 years. Foo might be up there, as Maroon 5, Coldplay, and Panic probably are. But yeah LP def catches that LeBron James cuz-they’re-great hate and i gotta remind myself of that

Mike is such a good interview it made Fantano bad by comparison. Melon dragged on like he needed to prove something to Mike, Anthony was clearly uncomfortable because he was in a position to rightfully be called out on his words. Mike was a little harsher than I expected but still not enough. Seemed like Fantano was busy trying to prove his worth instead of having a genuinely fun interview. Mike got most heated when he called out Fantano for baseless claims that artists "made this music for the sales". Instead of listening, Anthony cut him off, told an unrelated story, and then immediately admitted to making his own content for the purpose of generating as many views as possible. Seemed like an interview starting from a place of discomfort and instability because it took the death of a band member for the hivemind to realize maybe they had been hating on LP just to hate

43 minutes ago, mattyice318 said:

Mike is such a good interview it made Fantano bad by comparison. Melon dragged on like he needed to prove something to Mike, Anthony was clearly uncomfortable because he was in a position to rightfully be called out on his words. Mike was a little harsher than I expected but still not enough. Seemed like Fantano was busy trying to prove his worth instead of having a genuinely fun interview. Mike got most heated when he called out Fantano for baseless claims that artists "made this music for the sales". Instead of listening, Anthony cut him off, told an unrelated story, and then immediately admitted to making his own content for the purpose of generating as many views as possible. Seemed like an interview starting from a place of discomfort and instability because it took the death of a band member for the hivemind to realize maybe they had been hating on LP just to hate

Mike was a class act as always here. I’d have torn apart someone who literally said he hated Sharp Edges for being a cheap and cheesy Ed Sheeran ripoff, considering how intimate and self revealing that song was for Chester. I mean, one thing is being critic towards music, the other is being borderline disrespectful to the artist. I don’t like Happy Endings but I’d never make a 10 Minutes video making jokes about it. Kudos to Mike. 
I respect Fantano for his passion in talking about music but I stopped caring about his videos at a certain point because he tries too hard to convince people that music is objective, like it’s not objective that Battle Symphony is a bad song, it’s objective that it’s less complex and elaborated instrumentally than 7empest by Tool. Taste is not objective. 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

3 hours ago, Justin said:

Absolutely. Although I wouldn't deny that Mike's comment about "Radio these days plays mostly Disney music so it may be a reason why we decided to make the record sound like that" really caught me off guard and came off as goofy and a bit pretentious, still, I really enjoy some of the songs and Brad/Rob's work was excellent, massive props to them.

45 minutes ago, mattyice318 said:

Mike got most heated when he called out Fantano for baseless claims that artists "made this music for the sales".

You mean artists/creators don't need big views to be able to live or eat? Or did you intentionally made that assumption to make Anthony look bad here? The interview to me seemed very professional and polite, don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda