Reddit AMA with Jeff Blue

lpliveusername

48 minutes ago, hybrider said:

Dude he has THE SONG AND ONE FROM THE 2000 STUDIO SESSIONS and it's the freaking live version.. damn now I got hopes up for something we'll probably never hear..

edit: I just read your answer to him... on my own behalf: please don't try to convince him to release stuff illegally, that's just childish and in imo it's poor taste. also I think it puts a bad light on LPL if people keep referring to PB with Mark, since the TJ and Antoine things are still open on LPL. Some things I personally am not even comfortable with them being posted on here, 'cause Warner is always around the corner. But reddit? c'mon

Edited by LPsMart

53 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Don’t want to be the dick here, but I’ll never get the hype you guys seem to have for even more other HT demos, we have dozens and stuff like PB and CHB were nice, but even more demos ? 

Why do you comment on every thread related to Linkin Park's early days just to say you don't see the appeal of Xero / Hybrid Theory demos?

7 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

Why do you comment on every thread related to Linkin Park's early days just to say you don't see the appeal of Xero / Hybrid Theory demos?

Because we got HT20 and I think that if something is not in the boxset and didn’t make it to one LPU in the last 20 years it’s not that great probably. About posting, I think I can express my opinion as long as it’s not in an aggressive/offensive/dicky way😃

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

10 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

I think that if something is not in the boxset and didn’t make it to one LPU in the last 20 years it’s not that great probably

...Mike probably forgot about those demos..., if they can put 3 really bad tracks like Pods on LPU 15, they can release everything

5 minutes ago, deanowardust said:

Pods had sounds in it that appeared in later demos/songs. The whole reason behind putting the demos and those sorta things on the LPU Cd's was to give insight into how the ideas start and then expand into the songs them become

nah Pods is completely unrelated to LP, it's just that he had a small sound bank and apparently liked some of those on Linkin Park songs better/as well

13 minutes ago, deanowardust said:

Pods had sounds in it that appeared in later demos/songs. The whole reason behind putting the demos and those sorta things on the LPU Cd's was to give insight into how the ideas start and then expand into the songs them become

Pods has no relation to any Linkin Park songs or demos. http://linkinpedia.com/index.php?title=Pods

A short summary of the Reddit AMA with Jeff Blue.

Please note, that this is only a compilation of information about Linkin Park, their members and their relationship to Jeff and not about A&R in general or other artists he worked with. Also, his answers aren't edited to correct to preserve his intention in answering. Unrelated stuff is left out though.

Q: Do you have any footage of the band performing as Xero or Hybrid Theory?

Jeff Blue: "yes I have video but again can't release. A friend of mine has video and it's on youtube!"

Q: Do you know some of the singers that participated at the Xero Singing Audition?

JB: "Yes I know some of the singers."

Q: Brad once mentioned a Xero song called 'Spark Marker', is that song name real or not?

JB: "I don't remember anything called Spark Marker lol i think people have been making up names. I have almost every demo with random names, but the guys would just make names up and change them [...] but that name doesn't ring a bell."

Q: What are the differences between Stick N Move from Xero Tape and the first Xero CD from studio? What differences are between Step Up Xero version and Hybrid Theory version?

JB: "there's a ton of differences, you can hear them on spotify box set."

Note: Either Jeff mistook the Xero CD versions for Hybrid Theory versions, or structurally the songs haven't changed from the Xero CD.

Q: Is the version of the song 'And One', recorded on March 14, 2000, at NRG (as mentioned on the book), the same version which was played live between 2000-2002?

JB: "Yes on "and one" and unfortunately I can't release them myself." "And One had a few diff versions."

Q: Why was Stick and Move scrapped from the Hybrid Theory album? Is there a final version of it?

JB: "Hey, so we had dozens of songs, we narrowed them down to 14, and only 11 could make the album (plus Joe's cure for the itch) since contractually the band would only get paid on a certain amount of tracks. The band, Don, and I chose the songs we felt were strongest! Although it's a good song, it also wasn't one that Chester wrote on so maybe that was a factor too, but in the end...we released the strongest songs we believed in!"

Q: Is there any chance those demos that you mentioned in your book could get leaked to the public?

JB: "not sure legally, i have a lot of demos that are diff than what is on the box set. diff versions really"

Q: Would you be able to release music from those demos yourself?

JB: "no, i have the original artwork from the very first demo and not sure how to even release that."

Q: What are one or two Linkin Park songs that you felt most proud to be a part of?

JB: "Honestly I feel Crawling, One Step Closer, and Points of Authority are my favorites on the album"

Q: Do you have any specific memories of a lyric, line, or sound from the band that kept you motivated? What about a disagreement? You mentioned that Mike is a great writer, Brad is so smart too. Each band member almost seemed to play a pivotal role outside the instrument they played (Artwork/production/directing etc), and I think that plays a bigger part in what makes a band successful. I always respected how you bet on the people behind the music.

JB: "Mike's lyrics had a dark vibe, his early demos all had rain, concrete, references etc. I loved Points of Authority, but the first demos are what kept me motivated. Mike is very prolific and cinematic, that grabbed me instantly as opposed to other artists at the time simply writing aggressive lyrics. Obviously i detail many disagreements we had making the album, but that's part of creating something iconic. Had those disagreements not happened it probably wouldn't have pushed everyone that extra mile to make such an incredible product, although it would have been much less stressful. The label politics were exhausting. The manager and I will be doing a 3 hr video answering questions which will be posted soon! Follow my My IG is @JeffBlueMusic for info on it!"

"And yes the band was completely focused on their vision which allowed them to be authentic, which is soooo important. And thanks for realizing all the hard work that goes into developing artists! :)"

Q: What is your fondest memory of Chester/the band as a whole?

JB: "there are so many amazing memories. with Chester the first time I spoke to him on the phone, his passion and energy struck me like no other; the first time I met him, his innocence and positive spirit really affected me, but after we finished the album through all the drama and hardships, we sat across from my house and looked out at the ocean and he said, some day, I want us to look back on this. I want to buy (what was empty land at the time) this property and build a house next to yours. One of my favorite moments with the band was after all the studio drama, going back and tweaking the tracks a hundred times with my notes, when they thought I would hate it, I listened to the entire album start to finish twice, and came into the studio with tears in my eyes. They said "you hate it, i knew it" I replied this is the most amazing piece of art I've ever heard! I was overwhelmed with pride for the band and their tenacity and talent and ability to overcome all the pressure and rejection we all had experienced for 3 years. I knew the ablum was special"

JB about his relationship with Chester:

"I was blessed to literally reach Chester as a fluke. If you read the book I convinced an attorney buddy to reach out to him on a whim. When I heard his voice something told me this was the guy, and when he sent me the demo, I was floored. From the moment I met him we had a bond, and were really close all through when I left Warner to go to Interscope. Of course in the midst of the entertainment industry things get distorted and people lose touch but Chester and I spent a lot of in depth talking time together. We were both a little different than the rest of the guys. Our families spent holidays together (both of our ex wives etc) and we went through the tough time of getting a record deal together. Chester was an incredibly passionate and feeling individual. Like most artists we all have demons inside and that's what makes us more emotive than most. Chester brought a beautiful light to the darkness we live in. He was vulnerable and passionate, true, authentic, and believable, and that's what allowed us all in the world to connect with his voice. He made us all feel like we belong. The story is really inspirational and the world is a better place because of him"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, NJPLP said:

You think someone could PM Jeff Blue to leak those Xero demos?

I don't think Jeff would take the risk of getting sued to leak some demos from 20 years ago. don't you think it would be suspicious that he is the only that have mention the existence of those songs and they would magically appear on the internet right now?

27 minutes ago, Diaux said:

I don't think Jeff would take the risk of getting sued to leak some demos from 20 years ago. don't you think it would be suspicious that he is the only that have mention the existence of those songs and they would magically appear on the internet right now?

It would be a little suspicious if he did that, but he could just probably put the songs out on a file sharing site such as Mega or MediaFire.

Plus I would love to hear the 1998 Xero demos of "Stick N Move", "Slip", "Step Up", & "Carousel," as well as Mike Shioda's 1998 demo of "Pointillism".

Edited by NJPLP

4 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

It would be a little suspicious if he did that, but he could just probably put the songs out on a file sharing site such as Mega or MediaFire.

I agree with Diaux. Timing would be bad especially after he just dropped a book talking about them. Plus, I think he wouldn't do it out of respect for the band and the friends and family of Chester. I know its been four years but still would be a jerk move to leak stuff like that. 

17 minutes ago, TheVeryLastDinosaur said:

I agree with Diaux. Timing would be bad especially after he just dropped a book talking about them. Plus, I think he wouldn't do it out of respect for the band and the friends and family of Chester. I know its been four years but still would be a jerk move to leak stuff like that. 

Maybe we could wait a few years or so.

But, also, what if someone else had the cassettes and CDs and decided to try and leak them?

Edited by NJPLP

27 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

Maybe we could wait a few years or so.

But, also, what if someone else had the cassettes and CDs and decided to try and leak them?

If Jeff really wanted that stuff out there, he would have probably leaked them already. The issue is the part that stuff like this isn't meant to be out there, and we should be just glad we have so much stuff already. No need for someone to risk their neck for relatively few people with nothing to gain

20 minutes ago, Burberry said:

If Jeff really wanted that stuff out there, he would have probably leaked them already. The issue is the part that stuff like this isn't meant to be out there, and we should be just glad we have so much stuff already. No need for someone to risk their neck for relatively few people with nothing to gain

This. We got a lot already. Would it be nice if we got more? Yes. But I am glad with what have so far. Hell, we got PictureBoard. Thats something the fanbase has been wanting for such a long time. 

But I also agree that an unknown who has the cassettes or CDs is the best way for this stuff to leak. PictureBoard Xero version apparently was out for years on Soundcloud. And recently we got Rhinestone audition albeit a not so clean version. Then there's the previous Hybrid Theory demo CDs that found their way to eBay years back. This was a time when the band was searching for a label and this stuff circulated and changed hands. So I don't doubt that it will eventually pop up somewhere. It's anything after Hybrid Theory that will be hard to get I think if ever.

I hold out hope that we might get more but I am also satisfied with what we have thus far and I will never complain if this it too :)