Mike Shinoda Interview with NME

LPLStaff

Ahead of the release of "Dropped Frames, Vol. 1", NME has posted a new interview with Mike.

How would you describe the overall vibe and feel of music you made together?

“It’s spontaneous. A lot of the time with music I feel like I channel what’s happening in the moment. This stuff sonically comes from when it’s being created. We archived all of the Twitch episodes on Youtube so you can go back and see where it came from. I know that when the Black Lives Matter protests were starting, the track we made that day was sombre and soulful. It was sonically appropriate for the kind of day that it was. That track didn’t make it onto this album, but it will be on a future volume."

Were you working on the follow-up to ‘Post Traumatic’ before this project took hold?

“I was working on really random stuff. I still am, because I’m a little slower in quarantine. There’s a song for myself here, a song for someone else there. I’m still experimenting and trying to figure out what I’m trying to do next. I feel like I’m going down 20 different roads at once. If there’s ever anything to talk about, I’ll talk about it on my stream.”

It was recently revealed that Linkin Park had unheard tracks featuring Chester. Have you spent much time in recent years going through the vaults?

“No, I haven’t. For every record I’ve done, there are tracks in varying degrees of completion with vocals on them. Releasing them isn’t on the schedule.”

You also recently shared unseen gig footage from 2001. Can fans expect from archive gig stuff?

“We’re all aware that this year is the 20th anniversary of ‘Hybrid Theory’, so we’re planning to do something for that. I don’t want to give anything away, so I’ll just leave it there.”

Chester’s former Grey Daze recently released the album ‘Amends‘ featuring his vocals. Was that a surreal experience, being outside of the project?

“I haven’t heard it. They did it on their own. I can’t listen to it. I don’t want to hear his voice. It’s hard enough for me to listen to Linkin Park albums. It has to be on the right day. I did watch some of his son Jaime’s video, though. I got through two minutes of it before it became a little too much for me.”

Check out the full interview here.

23 minutes ago, GreyFox-AFCA said:

“I don’t want to hear his voice”

Shit, that made me sad as hell, i can’t imagine what he must be feeling..

Right, I felt the same sadness when I read that part. Its to be expected those guys were brothers, they spent almost 20 years or so together, all the memories and epic moments. Hearing his voice brings back all at once and it can be overwhelming . . . 

No chance Mike mentions LP is making music on these streams. 

Have you seen the rock press after what Phoenix said? Mike is going to keep quiet and deny stuff until it happens. He literally hates the press taking something he says and running with it like they did with Friendly Fire. 

5 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

How the fuck is Mike mixing the HT20? Or just listening to those new mixes?

What exactly is that a comment in regards to? Did you see somewhere that he is mixing stuff? 

He very well could mix something for it. However what is more likely is that he edits the demos to how he likes them and how he wants them presented/released. Plenty of LPU demos are edited by Mike before release. Just how it goes. 

10 hours ago, hahninator said:

No chance Mike mentions LP is making music on these streams. 

Have you seen the rock press after what Phoenix said? Mike is going to keep quiet and deny stuff until it happens. He literally hates the press taking something he says and running with it like they did with Friendly Fire. 

right. Clickbaits articles about Friendly Fire were going on for like two weeks or even more. 

also i hate so much how the press is blowing up the fact that there are still some unreleased demos/songs with Chester’s vocals on it. Well there is like a ton of that and its not a suprise at all. They have been recording for like 20 years and have released many albums. Its obvious there are many Chester’s vocals we havent Heard. 

Edited by sordomuda

20 hours ago, hahninator said:

What exactly is that a comment in regards to? Did you see somewhere that he is mixing stuff? 

He very well could mix something for it. However what is more likely is that he edits the demos to how he likes them and how he wants them presented/released. Plenty of LPU demos are edited by Mike before release. Just how it goes. 

I meant that... if he can't listen to Chester's voice... how is he working with HT20?

Perhaps, because it is a lie to a certain extent? People will come to this post saying that mike needs 10 more years to recover, but we all know that mike has listened to chester more than he wanted during these 3 years. I don't want to sound like an asshole, but everyone has lost loved ones (your parents, for example). I honestly don't know what Mike wanted to get with that answer, maybe not say what he feels about gray daze? Who knows

I mean, it's certainly possible that it's a little bit of both. Listening to Chester's voice I'm sure is hard, but also that answer pretty much stops any current line of questioning in its tracks. 

2 hours ago, vinifeijo said:

I meant that... if he can't listen to Chester's voice... how is he working with HT20?

imo, when he's working for HT20, that album, he's involved with the recording session since Day 1. and i'm sure he already knew some of the track will gonna be. that's why for GD, he said he can't listen to Chester's voice since he's not working on those tracks. it feels weird and tough for him.

just my opinion.

2 hours ago, vinifeijo said:

Like Justin said I'm sure there's a line he draws somewhere. After all, there's no way he could've rehearsed all those LP songs for the PT Tour without at least referencing Chester at times. The lyrical content/aesthetic of Grey Daze is pretty dark and depressing so for Mike I'm not surprised that some of this stuff probably doesn't sit right with him. At least with the Hybrid Theory songs it's like... those are as much his works as they were Chester's, even more so considering some of them are songs he worked before Chester joined the band. He had a say in how those came out versus with GD/Amends, it's something that includes Chester that came out unrelated to Mike's world. And we still don't really know to what extent the HT songs are being worked on really. Mike may not even be in charge of mixing/mastering - he could just be listening to the latest masters or mix and sending notes back to an engineer doing them. We'll have to wait and see, really

I'm sure Mike is aware of the drama with GD as well and wanted to draw attention away from the subject while still giving some sort of answer.

as @RogueSoul said, this sums it up, in my opinion: I'm sure Mike is aware of the drama with GD as well and wanted to draw attention away from the subject while still giving some sort of answer.

I didn't know that I needed a high quality version of she couldn't till today that I listened again . October is going to be an amazing month.

5 minutes ago, Capacity said:

as @RogueSoul said, this sums it up, in my opinion: I'm sure Mike is aware of the drama with GD as well and wanted to draw attention away from the subject while still giving some sort of answer.

I didn't know that I needed a high quality version of she couldn't till today that I listened again . October is going to be an amazing month.

Yeah they are remixing “She couldn’t” HYPE 😂😂😂😂 (just kidding). 

The in ear monitors. He said he cannot perform certain songs without Chester in his IEMs because that is the way he has played them for absolute ages. The first song that comes to mind is Papercut. He probably has it for other songs, maybe Castle Of Glass, etc too.

They had them at the Hollywood Bowl show with Chester too. Either Gavin Rossdale or Daron talked about it in an interview afterward.

13 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

The in ear monitors. He said he cannot perform certain songs without Chester in his IEMs because that is the way he has played them for absolute ages. The first song that comes to mind is Papercut. He probably has it for other songs, maybe Castle Of Glass, etc too.

They had them at the Hollywood Bowl show with Chester too. Either Gavin Rossdale or Daron talked about it in an interview afterward.

Ok thank you 😊
Anyway, I totally understand Mike’s answer and think it’s 100% genuine and agree on what you guys said about Amends being very dark lyrically (many songs specifically talking about pain and death like JLH, In Time Sometimes and Morei Sky). 
The thing I don’t understand and bothers me a bit is the question by the interviewer, like oh yeah I’m shocked by the fact that Mike is not involved in something he’s never been part of, like ... lol 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

I know the expectations of the LPL Community are high for a "Hybrid Theory" anniversary release, but after reading Mike's quote ("I don't want to hear his voice"), I wouldn't be surprised if it's almost like a "Best of LPU" compilation. Meaning we get the original album "remastered", and then a bunch of demos that have appeared on LPU albums, along with the B-sides from that era (High Voltage, My December). Nothing "new", at least to us, but to the masses, this is the first time the "In the End" demo, for example, is on streaming services.

I also seem to remember the listening party for "One More Light Live", and Mike not being able to listen to the whole album. Wouldn't be surprised if he or the band just let the label or someone else on the LP "team" select, edit and mix the tracks that made the cut. Same thing could easily happen here, where the only real involvement we get from LP is a generic letter from Brad or something as part of the "deluxe 20th anniversary release".

On 7/10/2020 at 3:57 PM, erichoholic2k1 said:

I know the expectations of the LPL Community are high for a "Hybrid Theory" anniversary release, but after reading Mike's quote ("I don't want to hear his voice"), I wouldn't be surprised if it's almost like a "Best of LPU" compilation. Meaning we get the original album "remastered", and then a bunch of demos that have appeared on LPU albums, along with the B-sides from that era (High Voltage, My December). Nothing "new", at least to us, but to the masses, this is the first time the "In the End" demo, for example, is on streaming services.

I also seem to remember the listening party for "One More Light Live", and Mike not being able to listen to the whole album. Wouldn't be surprised if he or the band just let the label or someone else on the LP "team" select, edit and mix the tracks that made the cut. Same thing could easily happen here, where the only real involvement we get from LP is a generic letter from Brad or something as part of the "deluxe 20th anniversary release".

Totally see this, I mean Brad and Rob didn’t even join the reaction video back in March, and I’m not blaming them... if they can’t handle some things it’s pretty understandable