Review: Mike Shinoda's New PT Vinyl Tracks

hahninator

This Friday marks the release of Mike Shinoda's Post Traumatic re-release on vinyl - a 2LP special edition colored vinyl with a 10" of two unreleased songs. Vinyls are beginning to arrive around the world so we decided to review the songs.

The two new songs int his release are titled "Prove You Wrong" and "What The Words Meant". While it is unclear if these are "brand new" songs just written or not, it seems most likely that they are leftovers from the Post Traumatic recording sessions.

If you are fans of the album Post Traumatic or Fort Minor's song "Welcome", you are guaranteed to enjoy these two songs.

"Prove You Wrong" stylistically fits right in with the rest of the Post Traumatic style, starting with a synth loop that slowly builds into Mike singing "welcome to the breakdown / tired of playing games now / making it no mistake I will prove you wrong" over a guitar piece.

Mike casually raps the verses; with lines like "I'm just trying to breathe, just let me get a breath in". He spells it all out for doubters as if he's talking directly to those who think he can't forge a path forward. Timing-wise, this song would appear to have been written sometime near the verses of "Make It Up As I Go" as the subject matter is similar. "Prove Me Wrong" is reminiscent of "Ghosts" on Post Traumatic and has an almost commercial feel to it.

Verse two is quite similar to "Welcome" and has Mike directly speaking to someone he asked for confidence from and who did not give him any - someone who gave him an "I don't know" which left Mike unhappy. The line "I'm sick of being patient, underestimated, this will be the day that I prove you wrong" really sticks out as it makes listeners think that there is one specific person that this could be written about

The bridge starts quietly and slowly builds in an almost similar fashion to Rob's drumbeat on the "What I've Done" bridge, with Mike singing over and over, "I've been to the bottom now and I may go back again, even if I could turn back time, there are things out of our hands." As all instruments roll on at the end of the song, Mike shows off his singing voice by extending the "welcome to the breakdown" lines to take the song to its finale.

"What The Words Meant" is a much slower track, almost like a mashup of "Nothing Makes Sense Anymore" (both with the style and the piano) and a much slower "Watching As I Fall". This song's lyrical content in this one is about Mike looking back at Linkin Park's songs throughout their career and Chester's lyrics. It begins, "The first time I heard it, didn't know what it was, I listened to it over and over, I couldn't get enough." Mike solemnly sings the chorus, "I thought I understood what the words meant / I thought I knew the meaning behind / I memorized the sounds and the rhythms / and wondered 'bout the stories inside"

Everyone who heard Hybrid Theory the first time were clearly surprised and that echoes what Mike says in verse two as he goes on with, "The first time I heard it, didn't know what it was, it was foreign and angry and brilliant, I couldn't get enough, but the story behind it, you revealed it to me, and I realized you had lived through what I'd never seen".

The bridge of the song is reminiscent of "Watching As I Fall" with the guitar solo, but with it chopped and mixed up in a DJ-style. Ending the track, the journey takes us to the end where Mike sings, "I wish I didn't know what the words meant / but they never written for me" as piano brings the song to an end.

Honestly, either song could appear on Post Traumatic, but the album was pretty maxed out with sixteen tracks. We would have gladly taken eighteen but that indeed is long for a release. But who plays by the rules anymore? And there is a chance they could be from after the album was released if Mike decides to come forward with that information.

Thankfully Mike has included the tracks on this special edition, which you can pick up here. If you are a hardcore fan of Mike, you won't want to miss these tracks which will be nice bonuses to your music library with the album. More music is likely on the way from Mike, so stay tuned!

We'd love to hear what you think of the tracks as your vinyls begin arriving around the world!

Lyrics:

Prove You Wrong:
Welcome to the breakdown
Tired of playing games now
Make it no mistake
I will prove you wrong
I'm sick of being patient
Underestimated
This will be the day
That I prove you wrong
Walkin' in the building
Everybody still askin' how I'm feelin'
Have I felt like I finally caught a rhythm"
And I don't know what kind of answer I should give them
But I say I'm just trying to know where the next step is
Looking for the "go" where the "ready, set" is
Tryna to find a beat I can get in step with
I'm just tryna breathe let me get a breath in
Yes I know, we can't all follow where I plan to go
All I want is faith in the path I chose
So welcome to the breakdown
Make it no mistake
I will prove you wrong
Underestimated
This will be the day
That I prove you wrong
I was on a high for a minute
Feeling just right, just fine for a minute
And then my vibe could turn on its side in a minute
The second I asked you if you had my back
And in your hesitation, betrayed, you did not
I asked you for confidence you haven't got
Heartbreakin', you basically end and you find
There was no way to take it but anger inspired
So there you go
All I'm getting back is an "I don't know"
Standing in the flames as the fire grows
Make it no mistake
I will prove you wrong
Underestimated
This will be the day
That I prove you
I've been to the bottom now
And I may go back again
Even if I could turn back time
There are things out of our hands
And I may go back again
And I may go back again
And I may go back again
Make it no mistake
I will prove you wrong
Underestimated
This will be the day
That I prove you wrong
Welcome to the breakdown
Make it no mistake
I will prove you wrong
Welcome to the breakdown
This will be the day
That I prove you wrong
What The Words Meant:
The first time I heard it
Didn't know what it was
I listened to it over and over
I couldn't get enough
I knew every syllable
And the space in between
And I wondered
What my own song would be
I thought I understood what the words meant
I thought I knew the meaning behind
I memorized the sounds and the rhythms
And wondered about the stories inside
I thought I understood what the words meant
I thought that they were written for me
A message spelled out in a language
That only those who've been there
Been there can read
The first time I heard it
Didn't know what it was
It was foreign and angry and brilliant
I couldn't get enough
But the story behind it
You revealed it to me
And I realized
You had lived through what I had never seen
I never understood what the words meant
I never knew the meaning behind
But didn't know the stories inside
I never understood what the words meant
The words were never written for me
Been there can read
I wish I didn't know what the words meant
Or understand the meaning behind
And now I know the stories inside
I wish I didn't know the words meant
That they were written for me
Been there can read
Been there
Been there can read
Been there
Been there can read

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What The Words Meant is exactly what I've been thinking since Chester passed.

We all knew the content of his lyrics but always took them as generic "stories" or "messages" that could fit with anyone's living and experiences. But now we all know that maybe, almost certainly, most of them were Chester's own life and experiences.

I mean, the whole One More Light album has gained a totally new meaning since July 20, 2017.

Edited by tfae

Hmm. These tracks aren't bad. I don't necessarily like some of the lyrics in Prove You Wrong, because I'm pretty sure I know what he is saying in a few parts, something I couldn't support. But overall, decent songs. I personally don't think that they sound like Post Traumatic (the album), but LP/Mike have always made curve ball music.

Prove You Wrong is an entire mood. Really love it. In verse two he's really destroying someone for not having his back when he wanted to start making music again. With all the stuff going on lately, HMMM. Ha.

What The Words Meant is really sad. He's like describing when he heard Chester write a BADASS heavy rock song (I guess Hybrid Theory or Meteora and now he's really second guessing what he thought the lyrics meant. I sense some regret (in a way) there which is natural but really sad. You can tell how much respect Mike had for Chester, Chester's input in Linkin Park, and Chester as a person for going through all that shit in his life.

This might be the first song 100% about Chester (besides Over Again being about 7/20 and the Bowl show).

What a checkmate move for him to do this when all this nonsensical shit is blowing up in the press. I really love it.

What The Words Meant is exactly what I've been thinking since Chester passed.

We all knew the content of his lyrics but always took them as generic "stories" or "messages" that could fit with anyone's living and experiences. But now we all know that maybe, almost certainly, most of them were Chester's own life and experiences.

I mean, the whole One More Light album has gained a totally new meaning since July 20, 2017.

Chester only wrote Heavy & Halfway Right so I don't feel that the rest of the album is based on his personal experience I still dislike that tons of people were involved in the writing process of the album. It's their most unipersonal album ever.

Chester only wrote Heavy & Halfway Right so I don't feel that the rest of the album is based on his personal experience I still dislike that tons of people were involved in the writing process of the album. It's their most unipersonal album ever.

Chester was writing about his problems literally since the very first Linkin Park song ever written with him, And One. ''Keep it locked up inside'', etc. I hate when people think stuff like, ''One More Light, at first I hated it, but now that Chester committed suicide, the album means so much to me'', etc. and other variations of that. Chester wrote about his pain, anger, sadness, etc. for his entire career. And while I don't agree that One More Light is their least personal album, The Hunting Party for sure is to me, the lyrics were so bland and boring, it's just annoying to hear people say stuff like that. Look at the words Chester sings on Hybrid Theory, Meteora, Minutes To Midnight, etc. Even a lot of songs on Living Things. A Thousand Suns had some, too, but it was a concept album so it dealt with some other stuff lyrically. Hell, you also have Out Of Ashes, High Rise, the Grey Daze stuff, etc. I think that's what Mike is saying with What The Words Meant, their whole career.

Chester was writing about his problems literally since the very first Linkin Park song ever written with him, And One. ''Keep it locked up inside'', etc. I hate when people think stuff like, ''One More Light, at first I hated it, but now that Chester committed suicide, the album means so much to me'', etc. and other variations of that. Chester wrote about his pain, anger, sadness, etc. for his entire career. And while I don't agree that One More Light is their least personal album, The Hunting Party for sure is to me, the lyrics were so bland and boring, it's just annoying to hear people say stuff like that. Look at the words Chester sings on Hybrid Theory, Meteora, Minutes To Midnight, etc. Even a lot of songs on Living Things. A Thousand Suns had some, too, but it was a concept album so it dealt with some other stuff lyrically. Hell, you also have Out Of Ashes, High Rise, the Grey Daze stuff, etc. I think that's what Mike is saying with What The Words Meant, their whole career.

I recently listened to Easier to Run for the first time in a while, and that song just hit me really hard. I know Chester wrote that one on his own. Even if he and the band claimed to not like that song later, it definitely is a very personal song for Chester.

I definitely agree that Mike is referring to the songs Chester wrote as a whole. He realizes they werent just cool lyrics and melodies, but that Chester had been through those things in a way that Mike could not even imagine.

Hmm. These tracks aren't bad. I don't necessarily like some of the lyrics in Prove You Wrong, because I'm pretty sure I know what he is saying in a few parts, something I couldn't support. But overall, decent songs. I personally don't think that they sound like Post Traumatic (the album), but LP/Mike have always made curve ball music.

What do you think he is saying, that you cant support?

Edited by Justin

Wow, this has never really happened to me this quickly, but I really love Prove Me Wrong now. After only listening to it for like a few hours now, it's become possibly better than the album to me. The melody throughout the entire song is killer and it's so emotional and raw. Mike sounds so pissed in verse 2. I really feel bad for Mike man sometimes.

I recently listened to Easier to Run for the first time in a while, and that song just hit me really hard. I know Chester wrote that one on his own. Even if he and the band claimed to not like that song later, it definitely is a very personal song for Chester.

I definitely agree that Mike is referring to the songs Chester wrote as a whole. He realizes they werent just cool lyrics and melodies, but that Chester had been through those things in a way that Mike could not even imagine.

What do you think he is saying, that you cant support?

Well, upon the first few listens, I thought he was dissing the other guys in LP in the second verse, but I don't think that's the case now after listening many times. Even if he is, it's done in a way that you can feel his pain and struggle of trying to keep his world together.

I agree 100% that's why THP is probably my least favorite album, The only song that seemed really personal was Final Masquerade.

LIVING THINGS might be a "better" option for that, it's the shortest album of them all after OML, and it felt rushed for the most part, with a few exceptions. It's likely the least favorite album to me.

Aside for that matter, I'm enjoying both new songs, PYW is great.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

LIVING THINGS might be a "better" option for that, it's the shortest album of them all after OML, and it felt rushed for the most part, with a few exceptions. It's likely the least favorite album to me.

Aside for that matter, I'm enjoying both new songs, PYW is great.

Lyrically? Hell no. You might not like Living Things but the lyrics were definitely personal on a lot of the songs. LITE, IMR, BID, IBG, COG, RU, Powerless? Even LGM and Victimized probably came from an angry place, I remember Chester said during an interview around the time that the album came out that they came from a place within. I wasn’t saying THP wasn’t good or it was a bad album, I was saying that it had the most uninspired lyrics IMO. Aside from Final Masquerade, like HybridXero said.

Really wonder who he's talking about in verse 2 of PYW.

Don't really know if it ties in to the people causing the drama the last few days. To me, I don't know why he would seek their approval anyways and support for his direction. Seems like it's someone a bit closer to him that gave him an "I don't know" and he felt betrayed/frustrated. I know it doesn't make sense if it's about the band. I don't know, this cryptic stuff really has me curious.

Edited by Catalyst619

Really wonder who he's talking about in verse 2 of PYW.

Don't really know if it ties in to the people causing the drama the last few days. To me, I don't know why he would seek their approval anyways and support for his direction. Seems like it's someone a bit closer to him that gave him an "I don't know" and he felt betrayed/frustrated. I know it doesn't make if it's about the band. I don't know, this cryptic stuff really has me curious.

I don't think he is directly addressing Tobi, Susan, or Sam. These songs were announced for release weeks ago and they probably date from long before that. It's interesting to me who he is talking about, but it's probably someone that we wouldn't be able to guess, or know. I also still want to know who he was talking about in Hold It Together during the second verse.

I don't think he is directly addressing Tobi, Susan, or Sam. These songs were announced for release weeks ago and they probably date from long before that. It's interesting to me who he is talking about, but it's probably someone that we wouldn't be able to guess, or know. I also still want to know who he was talking about in Hold It Together during the second verse.

I'm willing to bet that is like a general idea of people rather than any specific person.

Meanwhile, if Prove You Wrong were included on Post Traumatic instead of IOU, the album would've made it to my "Perfect Album" list - Albums where I love every song on the first playthrough. THP and MTM are on there for LP, Sufferer and the Witness for Rise Against, and I think like 3 other albums total.

I really love the build up and the bridge to the end is absolutely incredible and makes me hope the next LP album will have a similar vibe. What the Words Meant is taking a bit to grow on me. It's not bad, it's just "yeah it's a good song but let's go back to PYW because holy shit!"

Mike just said on Twitter that What The Words Meant isn't about LP, it's about another band that he always loved their songs, and he later found out that it was about the loss of the person's sister. So now we can clear up any speculation about that song, and if he was talking about Chaz.

What the Words Meant is taking a bit to grow on me. It's not bad, it's just "yeah it's a good song but let's go back to PYW because holy shit!"

Agreed. If I had to pick one ''bonus track'' for the albums, that would definitely be my choice for Post Traumatic. Kind of like how Qwerty would be the one I would pick for MTM. It's on that level of epicness.

Lyrically? Hell no. You might not like Living Things but the lyrics were definitely personal on a lot of the songs. LITE, IMR, BID, IBG, COG, RU, Powerless? Even LGM and Victimized probably came from an angry place, I remember Chester said during an interview around the time that the album came out that they came from a place within. I wasn’t saying THP wasn’t good or it was a bad album, I was saying that it had the most uninspired lyrics IMO. Aside from Final Masquerade, like HybridXero said.

Disagree, LT was the weakest one. Production wasn't nowhere to be "good", as I said, with a few exceptions. Rubin worked fine on MTM & ATS, I don't know what the hell happened there, never truly liked that album.

Disagree, LT was the weakest one. Production wasn't nowhere to be "good", as I said, with a few exceptions. Rubin worked fine on MTM & ATS, I don't know what the hell happened there, never truly liked that album.

Seems like you really just hate Living Things for whatever reason. It's fine if you don't like it. My original point was that the album had some personal lyrics on it, which the band specifically said they wanted to have on the album.