Setlists, Songs, and Singles

RogueSoul

Has anyone ever considered what would happen if the expanded the set list to 2 hours instead of 90 mins. Think how many extra songs they could fit in. Lots of big bands play big set lists. Ok maybe Chesters voice wouldn't last but there's plenty of songs where he's not the lead on them for him to rest voice for a song or 3 and carry on.

Thoughts on this guys and girls...?

Has anyone ever considered what would happen if the expanded the set list to 2 hours instead of 90 mins. Think how many extra songs they could fit in. Lots of big bands play big set lists. Ok maybe Chesters voice wouldn't last but there's plenty of songs where he's not the lead on them for him to rest voice for a song or 3 and carry on.

Thoughts on this guys and girls...?

Of course Chester can, he does like 20 songs with STP this would be the a great solution BUT some band members don't want to play more than 90 minutes according to Shinoda.

Of course Chester can, he does like 20 songs with STP this would be the a great solution BUT some band members don't want to play more than 90 minutes according to Shinoda.

I really doubt Chester can. When he's with STP, his voice isn't NEARLY pushed to the limits it's pushed at when he plays with LP. He has parts that are substantially higher or just flat out more challenging on his voice with LP than with STP. Granted, if they kept this general setlist layout, they COULD do two hours. But, if they start doing standard setlists again, no way can Chester handle it.

(My power went out as I was typing my reply, damnit.)

Mike said he wanted to play longer shows and said he'd play as long as he could if it were up to him. Like you said, he made it sound like it was other band members that didn't want to play longer. I DO think Linkin Park could extend their shows SLIGHTLY, You have to hit 100 minutes as a legit huge rock headliner in MY opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't 2008 and 2010 shows about 95-96 minutes? Just add one more song and it's 100. Holmdel 2014 was 97. That's not too bad. Just don't ever do 90 minutes or under. 100 would be perfect.

It's very different for Chester with STP than LP. He screams way more with LP and is much more active on stage, just look at the Euro Tour last fall where he was exploding on stage. He jumps around a lot more, the stages are much much bigger for LP (arenas and outdoor festivals) versus the STP clubs, etc. It most certainly takes a bigger toll on him playing with LP than STP.

If Chester can't do 100 minutes, that's fine. They've already cut it from playing shows 3 days in a row to just 2 days now so Chester can rest, and that's also fine because that means the band overall isn't as tired. Sometimes night 2 they aren't "on" as much and then sometimes on night 2 they blow the fucking place apart (Tampa 2014, for example).

The solution to 100-105 minutes for LP is to make the setlist not so difficult for Chester, in my opinion. Play In Between if you want, play an instrumental song, I mean I don't really care as long as it isn't 20 singles back-to-back. They don't have to play Given Up, they most certainly don't have to play Crawling. Preserve his voice and play what he can and extend the show a few minutes.

LP has such a diverse catalogue that I have no doubt they can push it to 100 mins easy. Although the big complaint is the lack of THP during the THP tour, especially when it was designed to be a live album. Mike or whoever said that a couple of times. Really that bothers me more than anything. If some songs were meant to be just studio then tell us that. I'll just keep hoping next tour is better.

To make the set last 100 min they could simply bring back drum solo in BID, play songs that was shortened like LITE, in full, play more extended intros and outros like UIG intro, play rare singles like BITS and play AFN, that wouldn't make it much harder for Chester's voice, while the set would be significantly longer

Last year they played almost 100 minutes in Frankfurt and also Berlin and Leipzig was around 95 minutes....

120 minutes must be the target for LP!!! Foos played 2:30 h at Rock am Ring and last year Metallica played 2:15 h

After MTM it was okay that LP only played 90 mins but after 6 albums they have to extend their setlists to a two hour show if you compare the ticket prices to the large of the concert!
2007/2008 ~55-60 Euros in Germany and ~90 mins

2014/2015 ~80-90 Euros in Germany and ~95 mins ... that's sad!

Dude... with STP he isn't screaming or doing a similar style to Linkin Park. Linkin Park songs are actually tough vocally, some of them at least. Sure he could do a 20 song set with LP (full songs) each night no problem, but they opted to play more songs this era and shorten stuff, etc. LP wouldn't be able to do that long each night... It would destroy his voice. A lot of singers in bands that scream don't play nearly as long as LP even when they headline. Chester is impressive in that regard.

They'll never do 120 minutes sets, the only way they can even do 100 minutes sets now is with all those interludes. More harder songs and longer sets are simply not possible for them.

LP will never be one of those bands that plays 2 hours + sets, that's a fact you should accept and that will never change. Many many bands don't play 2 hours sets either. LP has enough songs for that since 2003.

I personally think 100 minutes is more than enough. For all those years I've been seeing LP live there are always people complaining that not even 90 minutes is enough and some feel to be ripped off by such a short show lol.

Holmdel 2014 is one of the best LP shows to me. They were on fire. That's an example of a perfect set to me. Good length, good performance, good songs. I don't expect more than that. And you have to understand that only a handful of fans attend multiple shows. A lot of people go maybe 1 show per tour or are first timers. Those people want to hear the hits.