Nov 19 Berlin Show Set for Satellite Broadcast

hahninator

Not sure about the 3D part but 4K isn't bad, but is it possible to broadcast 4K on the internet, or just 1080p? and which website will they do it from? Youtube is the only Streaming website known with 3840x2160 pixel capability?

In theory every resolution can be streamed. Streaming 4k content doesn't make sense though since pretty much no one owns a 4k display and it would create a shitload of unnecessary traffic (people will always try to stream in the best quality available, no matter if it makes a difference for them). I guess the 4k recording is only for a Blu Ray release in the future. 4k Blu Ray disks and players are expected to be released in one year. I also think the stream will be capped at 720p so people will buy the Blu Ray for a quality upgrade. So basically I think it will be like this:

Stream - 720p

Blu Ray - 1080p

4k Blu Ray whenever it will be available

and of course a DVD release.

Another possibility is that Samsung bundles the 4k version with a HDD that can be used on Samsung TVs. They do this since it is pretty much the only way to deliver 4k content to 4k TVs right now besides streaming services like Netflix.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like he said I highly doubt that this will be streamed in 4k, especially if tons of people worldwide tune in, sounds like a marketing gag for later. It will honestly surprise me if it's HD resolution at all. The resolution is important for the overall quality because the higher it is the the more bitrate you need and the higher the traffic is, when there's not enough bitrate it will look shitty no matter how good the resolution is.

The whole 4k industry is desperate because no one really needs it, and you won't even see a difference unless you have a huuuge TV. 4k always seems like a scam to me anyway, the 4k makes it sound like it's 4 times the resolution while in reality it's not even twice the 1080p resolution. So many people don't even see or understand the difference between DVD and Bluray.

I have zero idea what the difference is. Can someone explain?

And 4K is supposed to be higher than Bluray? How much higher is Bluray than DVD? DVDs look fine to me.

DVD

720x480 NTSC

720x576 PAL

BluRay

1920x1080

And BluRay supports up to 7.1 lossless audio track,which is really amazing.

Sometimes most of the time I don't understand Linkin Park's logic for the shows they pick for DVDs. I mean, Download Festival was by far the most epic/unique event on this tour cycle, yet they decide to record a random show with a setlist we've seen all year long (we have proshots of Rock in Rio, Rock am Ring, Camden, Hollywood Bowl, and Circuito do Brasil).

I wonder if they'll release this as The Hunting Party+ or as a separate CD/DVD.

I think it's because of sponsors. The show in Berlin is sponsor by Samsung (if i'm not mistaken), so they have large budget to make it into DVD of official release.

The whole 4k industry is desperate because no one really needs it, and you won't even see a difference unless you have a huuuge TV. 4k always seems like a scam to me anyway, the 4k makes it sound like it's 4 times the resolution while in reality it's not even twice the 1080p resolution. So many people don't even see or understand the difference between DVD and Bluray.

4k is 4 times the resolution of 1080p. It's twice at much in every axis so 1920x2x1080x2 which is 1920x1080x4. If you double the length and height of your tv it's 4 times as big. That's the same.

Also who can't see the difference? Even my grandma sees it. Blu Ray (or any HD content) is a huge upgrade to DVDs.

In theory every resolution can be streamed. Streaming 4k content doesn't make sense though since pretty much no one owns a 4k display and it would create a shitload of unnecessary traffic (people will always try to stream in the best quality available, no matter if it makes a difference for them). I guess the 4k recording is only for a Blu Ray release in the future. 4k Blu Ray disks and players are expected to be released in one year. I also think the stream will be capped at 720p so people will buy the Blu Ray for a quality upgrade. So basically I think it will be like this:

Stream - 720p

Blu Ray - 1080p

4k Blu Ray whenever it will be available

and of course a DVD release.

Another possibility is that Samsung bundles the 4k version with a HDD that can be used on Samsung TVs. They do this since it is pretty much the only way to deliver 4k content to 4k TVs right now besides streaming services like Netflix.

I highly doubt that we will ever see the full show in 4K. I believe the only reason why 4K cameras used - 1 or 2 songs will be used as Samsung promotional videos. Also, this explains why they filming show in November, instead of 2015 NA tour. New Samsung 4K TVs will be presented later this year, so it makes sense.

Plus, i won't be so excited for the BluRay 'till we get the official confirmation. Mexico 2012 and Berlin 2012 both got DVD release only, which is kinda lame for 2010+ release.

So for now my guess will be:

• 720p stream
  • 1080i cropped TV version sometime in next months
  • DVD release (i'm not even sure about the full show - even RTR was fucked up by 4 songs as bonuses)

And 4K is supposed to be higher than Bluray? How much higher is Bluray than DVD? DVDs look fine to me.

resolutions-ultra-hd-4k-1080p-720p-dvd.p

So that's it. Basically, you get more detailed picture. The thing is, the difference can be seen on a huge TVs only (65"+).

Edited by Nikita

4k is 4 times the resolution of 1080p. It's twice at much in every axis so 1920x2x1080x2 which is 1920x1080x4. If you double the length and height of your tv it's 4 times as big. That's the same.

Also who can't see the difference? Even my grandma sees it. Blu Ray (or any HD content) is a huge upgrade to DVDs.

You are right I mixed that up, what I meant is, no one would buy it if they called it 2160p lol.

It's double resolution but 4 times more pixels right?

Do you mean that you can't tell the difference in quality or you can tell the difference but have no idea of the techy stuff?

I am too lazy to translate it, but here you go.

https://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totaaltv.nl%2Fnieuws%2F18048%2Fconcert-linkin-park-live-in-ultra-hd-via-astra1-satelliet.html

CONCERT LINKIN PARK LIVE IN ULTRA HD VIA ASTRA 1 SATELLITE
Image: © Reuters

SES Satellite Company in cooperation with Samsung concert that Linkin Park on November 19 at O2 World in Berlin provides live and unencrypted in Ultra HD on Astra 1 satellite.

It is for the first time in the world that a concert live in Ultra HD is broadcast. The concert by American rock bandLinkin Park is transmitted to the image resolution 3840 x 2160 pixels in 4K Ultra HD quality with the compression technique HEVC / H2.65. Satellite viewers with a suitable Ultra HD TV with satellite tuner can view the concert exclusively on the SES Ultra HD demo channel live. It is at the broadcast color depth of 10 bits used and the images are displayed at 50 frames per second. The program starts at 21:00.

https://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totaaltv.nl%2Fnieuws%2F18048%2Fconcert-linkin-park-live-in-ultra-hd-via-astra1-satelliet.html

SES Satellite Company in cooperation with Samsung concert that Linkin Park on November 19 at O2 World in Berlin provides live and unencrypted in Ultra HD on Astra 1 satellite.

It is for the first time in the world that a concert live in Ultra HD is broadcast. The concert by American rock bandLinkin Park is transmitted to the image resolution 3840 x 2160 pixels in 4K Ultra HD quality with the compression technique HEVC / H2.65. Satellite viewers with a suitable Ultra HD TV with satellite tuner can view the concert exclusively on the SES Ultra HD demo channel live. It is at the broadcast color depth of 10 bits used and the images are displayed at 50 frames per second. The program starts at 21:00.

any chance to view it via internet?

brace yourselves... the largest size file you've ever downloaded is coming?

Could be more bigger than the Carson 2012 Satelite file ;)

and the 3840x2160 is the 4K standard thing of Youtube and that supports up to 60 FPS, but if Samsung were to ever stream something on that Site, would Youtube be able to handle it?

That is fucking amazing.Can anyone here can contact some groups like CtrlHD or TrollHD and let them get the sat stream?

That could be the greatest LP Proshot till now!

http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2014/20362143

"First live concert in the world to be broadcast at Astra 19.2 degrees East in Ultra HD (3840 x 2160 pixel) in HEVC standard, at 50 fps and a colour depth of 10 bit"

There's the English press release. I have no idea what that means, but it says "The live broadcast will begin at 9 pm CET and can be received with Samsung 2014 Ultra HD screens." So if I don't have that television I can't get it?

What about the tracklist for the audio version? It's gonna be crazy with 30-song tracklist! However they will cut some of the songs for the audio version but I hope they won't do that for the video. And it's clear that they won't play any new songs for that show because they played Set A in Oberhausen without any new songs so hardly we can expect something new.

Edited by NimaLP

What about the tracklist for the audio version? It's gonna be crazy with 30-song tracklist! However they will cut some of the songs for the audio version but I hope they won't do that for the video. And it's clear that they won't play any new songs for that show because they played Set A in Oberhausen without any new songs so hardly we can expect something new.

They want you to think they're playing 30 songs, but they're only playing 16 full songs. The rest is just half songs/intros/interludes. Milton Keynes was 1hr37min and their actual set is around 1hr40min so it's not so different.

The thread needs to be updated since there is zero info about any kind of broadcast other than the UHD thing. This is really fucked up, you might not even be able to watch it with a non Samsung 4k TV, even their 2013 models need to be upgraded for this new codec that a lot of these other brands dont support yet. And you need satellite TV and the Astra coverage is Europe only.

I really hope that someone is able to record this and that this will be really released at some point. I dont fully trust the Mike statement since that could be easily just a misinterpretation of what Mike said, wouldnt be the first time.

This is really fucked up, you might not even be able to watch it with a non Samsung 4k TV, even their 2013 models need to be upgraded for this new codec that a lot of these other brands dont support yet. And you need satellite TV and the Astra coverage is Europe only.

Isn't it unencrypted? So it should be possible to receive it without a Samsung TV. I think the bigger problem is the codec.