MALL to be released on October 17

RogueSoul

Joe Hahn's movie, "MALL", will be released on October 17! Who's excited?

The movie follows the story of five disaffected characters who meet at a shopping mall, amidst a shooting spree. It also features new music from Linkin Park, one song can be heard in the trailer, and three others can be heard here.

I've already seen the movie several times and I love it. I read the novel that the movie is based off of beforehand, so I already was familiar with the characters and the story, etc. It was cool to see the characters in my mind come to life on the big screen and I think Joe and Vincent did a great job with this film.

Wait, where can the movie be seen? Did I miss something?

Some of the production budget was paid for by a group of French investors, so they released the movie in France back in June (under the alternate title of "A Day to Kill," which Joe Hahn hates).

Can you link the novel it is based of? Didn't knew it was based on a book.

http://www.amazon.com/Mall-Eric-Bogosian/dp/0743214552

Edited by Astat

I am still planning on going to the theater to see this movie, as well as purchase it on Blu-Ray and maybe even DVD just for collection purposes. For the record, I actually didn't buy ''A Day To Kill'' from France, let's just say it's out there if you get impatient.

• 4 weeks later...

LPAssociation has posted a new thread containing a full song from MALL. I am not sure if it's Mike Shinoda's official YouTube page (probably not) but it's interesting, to say the least. I hope we get the songs from MALL at some point. Joe said at the Summit that there might be an unofficial release, that we will get them somehow. Idk.

http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41179

Edited by Geki

The interesting thing here is that when I watched the movie, the songs in the movie sounded much different than what LPA has posted. They were the same exact songs, but the pitch was very different and it was odd. You can even hear it in some of the clips that were released from MALL, they sound different than the LPA posted songs. I wonder if this is even legit or if someone just made polished it up to make it sound like an official release, someone could do a copy and paste job and get rid of that minimal dialogue at the end of the song.

The interesting thing here is that when I watched the movie, the songs in the movie sounded much different than what LPA has posted. They were the same exact songs, but the pitch was very different and it was odd. You can even hear it in some of the clips that were released from MALL, they sound different than the LPA posted songs. I wonder if this is even legit or if someone just made polished it up to make it sound like an official release, someone could do a copy and paste job and get rid of that minimal dialogue at the end of the song.

I read somewhere the songs LPA posted were sped up a little.

I read somewhere the songs LPA posted were sped up a little.

Ah. Probably to avoid legal issues. For what it's worth, the songs sound much better in the actual movie than they do from the LPA videos, almost like a totally different song. Another interesting thing is that ''Milk'' or whatever that demo was called from the ATS era is in the movie, just with no vocals. They play a pretty large segment of it before Mal is about to enter the Mall. I know it's ''Milk'' or whatever it was called because it's featured in the StageLight pack.

EDIT: Just watched the movie again. In the final scene, this song is playing. This ''full version'' is a slowed down version of what is in the movie and it's very easy to see how someone could edit out the small voice clip that is going on during the end of the song.

Edited by Geki

It's still 5 songs not just 4.

I wonder if Joe actually expected that the new music would get more attention from the fan base than the actual movie (let's be honest here) ? I guess that's at least the reason why they try to avoid comments about the soundtrack so far.

It's still 5 songs not just 4.

I wonder if Joe actually expected that the new music would get more attention from the fan base than the actual movie (let's be honest here) ? I guess that's at least the reason why they try to avoid comments about the soundtrack so far.

I actually liked the movie a lot and I will buy it on Blu-Ray when it's officially released in stores in the US. But yeah, the music is definitely attracting more attention from the fans. Maybe he shouldn't have included so many unreleased LP songs in the movie, I guess. Maybe if he just used 1 unreleased LP song and did basic score work like Mike did with The Raid, people would have paid more attention to the movie.

Exactly the opposite, think about how many people wouldn't even check about the movie without the new music in the soundtrack.

LP music in Joe's movie is a great promotion in my opinion.

Geki do you think when they release the soundtrack/score it'll be more than the 4 full songs? I hope they release the Milk demo and other instrumental stuff they used in it.

Yeah, I think we might get more songs. Maybe even some stuff that ended up not being prominently used. There is some music and stuff throughout that we've never heard before and there is really no way of telling what it is unless Joe releases it for us. I really hope he does because I enjoy some of these songs a lot and we've yet to hear the full final version of the ''my sun it won't shine'' demo because during the movie, the instrumental plays and the vocal version appears in the trailer, oddly.