Linkin Park Playing Ventura, CA Vans Warped Tour

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how outside of MGK, the people LP collaborated with at this show all come from bands with snobby little "scene kid" fanbases who love to pretend to be anti-establishment and hate on "shitty mainstream bands" like LP even though they probably bought their entire wardrobe at Hot Topic with mommy and daddy's money and think that makes them punk.

Have I mentioned how much I hate Warped Tour? Some of the bands are decent (Finch, Yellowcard), but the people. OMFG, the people. The clientele Warped Tour caters to literally epitomizes everything that is wrong with the youth of America.

/rant

I like how outside of MGK, the people LP collaborated with at this show all come from bands with snobby little "scene kid" fanbases who love to pretend to be anti-establishment and hate on "shitty mainstream bands" like LP

I have no choice but to applaud you for this.

The best part about living on the East Coast is getting to go to cool shows like this-oh wait...

I'm so salty right now.

Trust me, Most of the West coast doesn't get anything. It's just Cali

I like how outside of MGK, the people LP collaborated with at this show all come from bands with snobby little "scene kid" fanbases who love to pretend to be anti-establishment and hate on "shitty mainstream bands" like LP even though they probably bought their entire wardrobe at Hot Topic with mommy and daddy's money and think that makes them punk.t

A. How is it your right to generalize an entire fanbase or everyone who likes a genre? It's not right. We hate when people generalize LP fans or LP themselves yet we turn back and do it to others?

B. Along with comment A, not everyone who likes this type of music buys everything from Hot Topic. I know a lot of people including myself who like this kind of music, and no, most of them don't shop at Hot Topic or buy stuff with their parents money. As for me personally, I've only bought one thing ever at HT and that was a Blink-182 t-shirt (my favoite band).

C. I like or used to like every band that LP collaborated with tonight except Issues. Does that make me snobby? Does that make me anti-establishment?

Watch yourself who're you start generalizing. I expected better from someone like you.

Edited by Bliss

What's funny is that I'll take this crowd over any USA crowd I've seen for LP 2008-now. Honda Civic Tour had crowds that just stood there like STATUES, looking at Instagram and shit and not jamming at all during the show. All show long. The Warped people are going off.

I like how all the anti-mainstream people are all like "fuck mainstream shit!" then LP comes and it's all "OH MAN LP NAILED IT, SUCH A TRUE HONOR TO BE HERE WITH THEM, THEY KICKED ASS, MIKE AND CHESTER ROCK!" etc etc etc. Epic.

What's funny is that I'll take this crowd over any USA crowd I've seen for LP 2008-now. Honda Civic Tour had crowds that just stood there like STATUES, looking at Instagram and shit and not jamming at all during the show. All show long. The Warped people are going off.

I like how all the anti-mainstream people are all like "fuck mainstream shit!" then LP comes and it's all "OH MAN LP NAILED IT, SUCH A TRUE HONOR TO BE HERE WITH THEM, THEY KICKED ASS, MIKE AND CHESTER ROCK!" etc etc etc. Epic.

>Implying everyone who goes to Warped Tour is Anti-Mainstream.

Yeah but LP just got a lot of credibility with that fanbase.

Nah, more likely that the "fans" of those bands will be bitching about how much credibility Finch, ADTR, etc. lost by doing something with LP.

Nah, more likely that the "fans" of those bands will be bitching about how much credibility Finch, ADTR, etc. lost by doing something with LP.

I don't want to piss anyone off, but is it just me or does it seem like some of those people are kind of patronizing LP when they say things like ''Middle school flashback'' or ''I used to listen to LP when I was 10, so excited'' and stuff like that?

These fans do way less "bitching" than you think they do.

Trust me, Most of the West coast doesn't get anything. It's just Cali

A. How is it your right to generalize an entire fanbase or everyone who likes a genre? It's not right. We hate when people generalize LP fans or LP themselves yet we turn back and do it to others?

B. Along with comment A, not everyone who likes this type of music buys everything from Hot Topic. I know a lot of people including myself who like this kind of music, and no, most of them don't shop at Hot Topic or buy stuff with their parents money. As for me personally, I've only bought one thing ever at HT and that was a Blink-182 t-shirt (my favoite band).

C. I like or used to like every band that LP collaborated with tonight except Issues. Does that make me snobby? Does that make me anti-establishment?

Watch yourself who're you start generalizing. I expected better from someone like you.

I went to high school in a stereotypical Midwestern, middle-class town where everybody was trying to simultaneously fit in and rebel against everything. I was part of the local music scene in that area for years. I've met hundreds upon hundreds of people who fit in with this stereotype. They all go to Warped Tour every year, they all shop at Hot Topic and Spencer's, they're all so concerned with rebelling against the whole preppy kid/middle class stereotype that they don't realize they're fitting into the arguably worse stereotype of the "scene kid" (a.k.a. punk without any credibility to back it up). They're also all about 12-16 years old. It's so uncommon for them to be outside that age group that Warped Tour literally lets parents into the shows for free so they can drive their kids there, since most of them are too young to have a license. These are the kind of kids who go to local shows, stand against the back wall with their arms folded and a completely unimpressed look on their face for every band doing something original, then suddenly jump in the pit and have the time of their lives as soon as the next Silverstein clone band gets on stage. My first band I played in back in 2005 was literally some of the most god-awful third-rate screamo crap I've ever heard in my life, yet the kids ATE IT UP at the two shows we played. Half our songs didn't even have real lyrics, we just alternated between shrieking unintelligibly and growling unintelligibly! We were trolling these kids so fucking hard, and they were completely clueless. A few years later, my next band got invited to PLAY at the Cleveland stop on Warped Tour in 2009. It would've been by far the biggest opportunity of any of our musical careers, and we turned it down because we couldn't stand the thought of being around thousands of these people all day.

Generalizations are perfectly warranted when you have over a decade of real-world experience to back them up. I'm sure there are some perfectly well-adjusted, reasonable people who are fans of bands like A Day to Remember, Breathe Carolina, etc...but they're certainly in the minority.

*Edit* Also, consider how often I rip apart how stupid Linkin Park fans can be. That isn't just reserved for Linkin Park fans, FYI. In fact, it's not just reserved for music fans or fanbases of any kind. I generally think about 80% of humanity as a whole consists of people I'd rather not be around, so yeah.

I don't want to piss anyone off, but is it just me or does it seem like some of those people are kind of patronizing LP when they say things like ''Middle school flashback'' or ''I used to listen to LP when I was 10, so excited'' and stuff like that?

I think it kind of makes sense, with LP trying to channel the "get in touch with you at 15" thing while making THP, it was probably a smart idea to go do a show where kids in that age group are the primary demographic. Unfortunately, 15-year old music fans in 2000 were an entirely different breed of people than 15-year old music fans in 2014. 2000 fans were probably more angsty, but didn't have nearly as big of a sense of entitlement or elitism. LP won't gain any fans by doing this show, and there's going to be a huge backlash from the "fuck anything that gets played on the radio" kids who worship bands like the ones they collaborated with today. Really hoping Finch in particular doesn't lose too many fans because of this, because they're a great band.

Anyway, since nobody's pointed it out yet, Machine Gun Kelly's verse in BIO was from his song "What I Do." I only know this because back when he was still going by his oh-so-suburban given name of Richard Baker, he was 2 grades below me at Shaker Heights High School (one of the most affluent high schools in the region, BTW - definitely not consistent with the sketchy "East Cleveland" upbringing MGK will claim he had) across town from where I went to school, so once he blew up all my high school friends became his biggest fans.

Edited by Astat

Interesting how they did all the collabs, but I don't see why they had waited so long to do this. Look at the shows from the Meteora tour, there were always notes on most shows like OSC w/ Sonny from POD or Wes from Puddle of Mudd, etc. they have done massive festivals since then but haven't done this with other huge artists. You know how awesome it would be to hear them bring Josh Homme of QOTSA onstage? I hope they do this again, even if it is on a lot of songs like today.

As for Astat, I understand MOST of your rage after you posted more comments, I hope you dig yourself out of that pit of anger. I don't know much about MGK other than hearing a few of his songs at school, but I hate what he does to music and anyone who enjoys him. He must have been the ONLY rapper at Warped because they wanted someone to rap over BIO instead of sing. But it isn't like Kanye or Drake are at Warped (not stating my opinion on either of those).

All else that is important at this point is to find videos.

Interesting how they did all the collabs, but I don't see why they had waited so long to do this. Look at the shows from the Meteora tour, there were always notes on most shows like OSC w/ Sonny from POD or Wes from Puddle of Mudd, etc. they have done massive festivals since then but haven't done this with other huge artists. You know how awesome it would be to hear them bring Josh Homme of QOTSA onstage? I hope they do this again, even if it is on a lot of songs like today.

As for Astat, I understand MOST of your rage after you posted more comments, I hope you dig yourself out of that pit of anger. I don't know much about MGK other than hearing a few of his songs at school, but I hate what he does to music and anyone who enjoys him. He must have been the ONLY rapper at Warped because they wanted someone to rap over BIO instead of sing. But it isn't like Kanye or Drake are at Warped (not stating my opinion on either of those).

All else that is important at this point is to find videos.

Actually, MGK wasn't even on Warped Tour this year.

Actually, MGK wasn't even on Warped Tour this year.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. LP. They just picked him up and had hm join, they should have gotten any other rapper to come by, you know, like RAKIM.

Now I'm sure MGK was already in reach or maybe attending the show but c'mon.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. LP. They just picked him up and had hm join, they should have gotten any other rapper to come by, you know, like RAKIM.

Now I'm sure MGK was already in reach or maybe attending the show but c'mon.

A Day To Remember were not part of Warped Tour this year at all either, according to Warped Tour's official website.