THP Live, your thoughts

partofmelp67

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way too boring for the audience. Probably some hardcore fans around here would go wild, but if you play in front of 25.000 people, you can't sacrifice some oldies or singles to pleasure 22 guys who are attending the concert, or people on the internet who discuss everynight's setlists.

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard and goes against what 90% of bands that tour play. Every band that I follow plays rarer songs live. Foo with I'll Stick Around/Generator and others, 10 Years with shit all the time, Metallica with Frayed Ends Of Sanity and all sorts of other rare shit like St. Anger, etc. OF COURSE you can sacrifice a boring single for a kickass oldschool song. When I am seeing a band I am a casual fan of, I am looking forward to the jams that I don't know versus the big singles. I want to find stuff that is epic that I don't know. Incubus did it for me with A Certain Shade Of Green, even. I can't think of a band that DOESN'T play some semi rare oldie live.

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard and goes against what 90% of bands that tour play. Every band that I follow plays rarer songs live. Foo with I'll Stick Around/Generator and others, 10 Years with shit all the time, Metallica with Frayed Ends Of Sanity and all sorts of other rare shit like St. Anger, etc. OF COURSE you can sacrifice a boring single for a kickass oldschool song. When I am seeing a band I am a casual fan of, I am looking forward to the jams that I don't know versus the big singles. I want to find stuff that is epic that I don't know. Incubus did it for me with A Certain Shade Of Green, even. I can't think of a band that DOESN'T play some semi rare oldie live.

While I agree with you, I need to post this:

"A Certain Shade Of Green" is a single.

They did play "Rebel Girls" during the Honda Civic Tour, which is a (great) b-side from "If Not Now, When?."

You are probably missing my point somehow, maybe I didn't write it right. :)

I meant that it would be a shame that a long, quite boring song (sorry, it's just over and over again the same melodies, with no spectacular sound effects or vocal highlights) would replace singles OR oldies. To be honest, I agree with you. I can't stand that songs like Burn it Down, WFTE, WID are played all the time, while they have a huge amount of great songs that haven't been played for a long time. By Myself, Figure.09, From the Inside, No More Sorrow, WTCFM, ALTNC or even High Voltage, And One or Step up. No, all we get is Burn it Down, over and over again. What I meant is that IF they dropped some of these singles, it would be a shame that they put a song like MTG on that spot. Some hardcore fans love the jamm-feeling of it, but for a concert it's a long and boring song in my opinion.

No need to call anything you disagree with "The dumbest thing you've ever heard". Why would you talk like that to someone you don't know?

Every band that I follow plays rarer songs live. Foo with I'll Stick Around/Generator and others, 10 Years with shit all the time, Metallica with Frayed Ends Of Sanity and all sorts of other rare shit like St. Anger, etc. OF COURSE you can sacrifice a boring single for a kickass oldschool song. When I am seeing a band I am a casual fan of, I am looking forward to the jams that I don't know versus the big singles. I want to find stuff that is epic that I don't know. Incubus did it for me with A Certain Shade Of Green, even. I can't think of a band that DOESN'T play some semi rare oldie live.

100% agree. And I agree in part with Kruspe.

In the case of Linkin Park in my opinion this point gets even more emphasized in my opinion. Of course there are singles that needs to be played every show and I will never get tired of it (like What I Ve Done), but what I think is that if we look the total amount of single that the band has released in their career, they don't give justice and represent correctly the talent of these guys. I mean, there are so many gems that a casual fan who wants to know the band must listen (And for me Mark The Graves is an example, but it is in my opinion). It is a shame for me that the band use almost only singles in their set in this tour, representing only the surface of what they really are, and don't give to casual fan something unexpected for being impressed.

100% agree. And I agree in part with Kruspe.

In the case of Linkin Park in my opinion this point gets even more emphasized in my opinion. Of course there are singles that needs to be played every show and I will never get tired of it (like What I Ve Done), but what I think is that if we look the total amount of single that the band has released in their career, they don't give justice and represent correctly the talent of these guys. I mean, there are so many gems that a casual fan who wants to know the band must listen (And for me Mark The Graves is an example, but it is in my opinion). It is a shame for me that the band use almost only singles in their set in this tour, representing only the surface of what they really are, and don't give to casual fan something unexpected for being impressed.

And besides that I'm pretty tired of What I've done and still don't like MTG, I completely agree with this. :)

• 3 months later...

After listening to Until It's Gone both in full and shortened, I think it's better short. They can't exactly replicate the studio version on the first chorus, since Chester can't sing two separate things at the same time. The transition from verse 1-2 sounds great. This is a good example of shortening to benefit the song.

I don't really have an opinion on it anymore. GATS is decent but the song has always bugged me. Rebellion is good live. FM kind of sucks live but it's a good song nonetheless. Wastelands is a solid live song IMO. Until It's Gone is shortened so I wouldn't even count it anymore because I hate it now but it was good earlier in 2014 when they played it live. So I guess I'm half and half. I feel like KTTK, AFN, War and ALITS would all be good, but I doubt any of those will ever be performed.

When Mike said he wants to add one more song from the album to the set for the U.S. tour he probably meant The Summoning. LOL. :P

Edited by Geki

Is anyone else thinking that All for Nothing could be possibly played on this upcoming leg? They could easily have that guy Tim from Rise Against do the guest vocals on it.

I never even thought of this. Tim would actually sound pretty great on All For Nothing, IMO. Mike did say that he wants to add one more song from THP to the set. Phoenix has expressed wanting to play Keys To The Kingdom and A Line In The Sand before, but I think All For Nothing might have a better shot of being played.

After listening to Until It's Gone both in full and shortened, I think it's better short. They can't exactly replicate the studio version on the first chorus, since Chester can't sing two separate things at the same time. The transition from verse 1-2 sounds great. This is a good example of shortening to benefit the song.

I disagree completely. The Rock am Ring performance is fantastic. They need to play the full long intro and the full song. There's zero sense in dropping the lead single from the album on the second ever tour it was played on. Ridiculous. I couldn't even enjoy the song on Carnivores due to them shortening it and including it in a DISASTROUS encore with a striptease version of Crawling sped up to sound like a mouse is singing it, a joke of New Divide where Chester lets the crowd sing a substantial portion of it, and a Lost In The Echo that is about 17.2 seconds long.

I would be completely fine with an encore of:

Until It's Gone (w/ Long Intro)

Lost In The Echo (2012 Intro)

A Place For My Head

What I've Done

Bleed It Out

Get rid of New Divide, Crawling, and all the other crap in the sets.

They basically want to play as much songs as they can while sticking to a time limit. Why not shorten every song and 10 more in (Just a joke). They are trying to please both types of fans, but also disappointing them at the same time.

The band clearly doesn't care about playing every album song live. They previous album was proof, and now having guests on some songs makes things harder. GATS and Rebellion are good, but Drawbar and AFN may never get played.

I do agree with you Mark. The short stuff needs to be 2014 only. If this is how the band will continue to play from 2014 on, they may be losing fans and money.

If this is how the band will continue to play from 2014 on, they may be losing fans and money.

You can't be serious about this, right? To be completely honest the only shortened song that there's truly a problem with is Until It's Gone, simply because it's just stupid to shorten THAT song. Arguable LITE, too. But to think because of this they'll lose money, let alone fans is ridiculous. Linkin Park will continue to sell out arenas and shows regardless of what they do. They could play a set full of Nickleback covers, they'd still sell out the entire fucking arena. Don't judge the setlist from how it appears on paper - it's fully enjoyable. I saw Set A twice in the two NJ shows and the crowd blew up on every song (especially BID and Papercut).

How can someone say that they think the shortened version is ''better''? Noooo. The shortened shit makes LP look like Justin Beiber or some type of pop band or something. Real rock and metal bands play the entire song.