Mike Shinoda Gives Updates on New Album

maik_gianino

With a new single out ("A Light That Never Comes" with EDM star Steve Aoki) and a remix album due later this month, Linkin Park is back in the studio working on its fifth studio album and follow-up to 2012's chart-topping "Living Things."

Group leader Mike Shinoda gave us an update, saying that:

"It's really early, I'd say. We're working quickly, but it's really early...It's probably going to be a little surprising to people, and it's not going to sound like 'A Light That Never Comes,' it's not going to sound like the remix album and it's probably won't sound anything like 'Living Things,' either. At this point I don't know what it's going to sound like; I just know it's not going to be those things.

Shinoda adds that at this point longtime Linkin Park cohort Rick Rubin is not involved in the new sessions, though he may join later.

Linkin Park will release "Recharged," a collection of remixes of "Living Things" songs, on October 29, with two remixes by Shinoda himself.

Singer Chester Bennington, meanwhile, is doing double duty with Stone Temple Pilots, who recently released a new EP called "High Rise."

lol Mike not giving us no info like usual. I feel like Mike already said this in another interview. I doubt people seriously expected the new album to sound like ALTNC.

Plus we know that Mike and co don't really know what the album will sound like until the very end. They always have a bunch of ideas.

I do wish that they wouldn't use Rubin again. The man is great, but I think it's time for some new blood.

This is great news. Official confirmation from Shinoda that the album probably won't sound like EDM or LT. I can't wait for this album. If this album sounds like the metal/rock/punk music that Mike has been listening to lately, it could rival MTM for my favorite LP album, and that is saying a lot.

I also hope they work with Rick Rubin again. MTM, ATS and LT are all great albums, I wouldn't mind if they worked with Rick Rubin for the rest of their career. He's a legend, and LP makes great music with him. I'm also more excited for this album because it means STP will have to be pushed on the back burner for quite some time.

Edited by Geki

I'd like to hear what LP could do with another producer but I feel like their songs might sound more mainstream-ish, radio-ish and 3-4 minute-ish. With Rick, he allows them to work outside the box and create whatever the hell they want to make really. But they probably could do a great job with another producer too.

Steve Lillywhite and Brian Eno are two producers that I think LP could make a good album with. They'd probably say "wtf" at stuff like UNTIL IT BREAKS where Rick would probably be like "Oh yeah man whatever you make naturally, fuck it, it wanted to be made and it's good enough to release" lol

If Mike keeps listening to this heavier stuff like his Spotify playlist suggests then it might mean we are shifting away from the electronic LP to more alternative rock LP again. And that's the best news ever.

I'd like to hear what LP could do with another producer but I feel like their songs might sound more mainstream-ish, radio-ish and 3-4 minute-ish. With Rick, he allows them to work outside the box and create whatever the hell they want to make really. But they probably could do a great job with another producer too.

Steve Lillywhite and Brian Eno are two producers that I think LP could make a good album with. They'd probably say "wtf" at stuff like UNTIL IT BREAKS where Rick would probably be like "Oh yeah man whatever you make naturally, fuck it, it wanted to be made and it's good enough to release" lol

If Mike keeps listening to this heavier stuff like his Spotify playlist suggests then it might mean we are shifting away from the electronic LP to more alternative rock LP again. And that's the best news ever.

I just looked up those two producers, I could definitely see LP working with them. It would be cool. Basically what I'm saying isn that I like Rick as a producer (a lot of LP fans seem to hate him), but I am open to other producers as well.

But yes, if they seriously are heading back into a rock direction instead of electronic, that is EPIC news. I think Mike may have got all the electronic stuff out of his system with LT, ALTNC and Recharged. Either that, or he naturally just wanted to start making rock stuff again, which is awesome. I think the fans will welcome that.

I'm sure Rick will end up getting a production credit on the new album. The whole reason the band likes him is because working with Rick Rubin really doesn't fit in the classic definition of "working with" a producer. Rick leaves the band to their own devices 95% of the time, and only chimes in on things that he believes are REALLY critical. And even when he does chime in, he ultimately leaves the final decision on things up to the band.

With that said, it also begs the question of why they even NEED Rick Rubin at this point, if they're going to be doing everything themselves for the most part anyway. Rick's a good guy to go to when you need to open up new doors (i.e. working with someone like Don Gilmore on your first two albums and not knowing any kind of work ethic other than his), but once those doors are open, you probably don't need to keep leaning on Rick like a crutch either. Maybe they just like paying him tons of money so they can have a big-name producer on their album credits, I dunno.

i remember there was a band that didnt like working with Rubín cause he was neveer around.

was it Slipknot? lol

Yup. Corey Taylor said he only saw Rick 4 times personally and that he would never work with him again as long as he lived. lol

"...we were being charged horrendous amounts of money. And for me, if you're going to produce something, you're fucking there. I don't care who you are."

Edited by Justin

LOL the most misleading title ever...

Mike gives updates?

all he said was ''YO, I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ASK ME IN 1 YEAR''

Well, he somewhat confirmed that the next LP album probably won't sound like Recharged/ALTNC/EDM. I was happy to read that straight from Mike's mouth. Whatever LP does, I hope it's good. I think if they go in this punk/rock sound like the stuff Mike has been listening to, and they add their own ''LP'' signature sound to it, it'll be great, and also something the band hasn't done before.

Well, he somewhat confirmed that the next LP album probably won't sound like Recharged/ALTNC/EDM. I was happy to read that straight from Mike's mouth. Whatever LP does, I hope it's good. I think if they go in this punk/rock sound like the stuff Mike has been listening to, and they add their own ''LP'' signature sound to it, it'll be great, and also something the band hasn't done before.

He's also been to a HAIM concert and been listening to CHVRCHES lol

Well, he somewhat confirmed that the next LP album probably won't sound like Recharged/ALTNC/EDM. I was happy to read that straight from Mike's mouth.

So if ALTNC Reboot was the game/single version you need a confirmation from the band that the next album not gonna has some maracas influences?

I'm hoping they pull something new again. MTM and ATS were really different from the album before them, then LT seemed a combination of all four albums. Since he said it won't sound like LT, that would knockout the album being a combo of the five albums and sounding similar.

I think it'd be awesome to do another set of two albums that reach out from their past work, then make Album 8 a blend of the past 7 albums. Hope that makes sense.

As for what I'm hoping for, I want songs that are "fill the arena" anthems. WFTE+Wall of Sound, IMR, Iridescent's ending w/ gang vocals, etc. One of my favorite albums this year was Imagine Dragons' Night Visions. I saw a live broadcast of their show and every song had all the energy you could imagine, even their lighter stuff. Even if LP did a mix of rock and light stuff, I'd be ok if it was like the blend Imagine Dragons had.

I'm hoping they pull something new again. MTM and ATS were really different from the album before them, then LT seemed a combination of all four albums. Since he said it won't sound like LT, that would knockout the album being a combo of the five albums and sounding similar.

Actually you can take it one more step forward, if it's not like LT and LT is the previous four combination it's can't be like any of them. So it should something new/different.

Anyway it's too soon to know or guess, even he don't know what it's gonna sound like.

Actually you can take it one more step forward, if it's not like LT and LT is the previous four combination it's can't be like any of them. So it should something new/different.

Anyway it's too soon to know or guess, even he don't know what it's gonna sound like.

That's what I was meaning, LP6 won't be LT2, so I'm looking forward to a sound completely different for LP6 and LP7, and then LP8 will be a mix of the first 7 albums.

It'd be pretty neat to have an album similar to Night Visions - get some awesome live songs with LP's live rock awesomeness added. Then some other album with another style before an album combining everything together.

That was confirmed like 2 months ago, he has said that in different interviews, so there's nothing new here, there's not an update.

Bravely surfing against the tide of public opinion, this one :lol:

:lol:

Actually, yeah. :D

Maybe because I'm more into electronic rock then Hard Rock or anything like those. I hope Living Things was just a one-time only thing. I don't want "Rock" LP. I want experimental "We don't care how does it sounds like, if we like it then it's us" LP. And there's still a lot of potential in electronic stuff.