Astat Appreciation

Skipees

I usually don't do it, but this time it's worth it:

Thank you Anthony.

For the answers, for the corrections, for the explanations, for being lunatic when someone didn't notice that The Cure For Mr. Hahn Itch - is scratch, for the guides. For "Quick question? Ask here!" which is a lot of times "Quick question? Ask Astat!".

You're part of the LP community already ten years, a lot of people know what they know about the band just from reading your posts. Sharing with everybody your wisdom, and the endless stockpile of facts about the band (and about music in general).

I'll save some words for the rest of the guys.

This is not my flattery, this is my appreciation. ;)

Posted Image

Well, I find it rather strange to have such thread, but anyway, I'm still very grateful to Anthony for all he did for me when I was literally a noob. He might not remember it, but I do, and so do many of us.

Also, thank you for your website about LP Guitars. Even though it's not very interesting topic for me, but I do like various lists, and info collections in one place regarding Linkin Park.

Aww, thanks guys...after the weekend I just had (screwed up my debit card, found out Katie and I don't have a wedding officiant like we thought we did, car got broken into, got food poisoning, found out one old family friend is in a nursing home and another got t-boned by a drunk driver and is in a coma...oh, and I didn't make the top 10 on LPU Sessions), this is a nice surprise to come home to.

Funny you post this when you did, because my "official" 10th anniversary as part of the Linkin Park community is in 4 days. I signed up for the old LP.com message board on 8/17/2003. Good timing!

I never like...consciously tried to be "that guy who knows everything." I just joined the community at a time when Linkin Park was SO big, there was a lot of conflicting information going around. There were so many fans on the message boards, so many fansites, so many rumors going around, that it was hard to keep track of things. When I first joined the boards, I literally couldn't get a straight answer as to whether or not Breaking the Habit had ever been performed live. People thought that Xzibit coming out on Nobody's Listening was just some crazy rumor that couldn't possibly be true. The fact that Mike played guitar at all, let alone on 5-6 per show, was SHOCKING news to some people. For a band that was damn near the biggest band in the world at the time, their fans sure didn't seem to know much about them...and with the amount of activity on both LP.com and LPU, a lot of good information was quickly buried by things like "What's your favorite LP song v7.0" and "Is Mike hotter with his hat forwards or backwards?" I figured I'd just start sifting through as much information as I could, mentally cataloging anything that I felt was actually important (at some point, I realized my brain can't ACTUALLY hold that much information and recall it at will, so I started keeping notes. Several thousand Notepad files later, here I am!).

In particular, the lack of input from actual musicians in the LP fanbase always bugged me. The few people who actually WERE musicians mostly seemed to hang around the message boards solely to mock the band (anybody else remember the old "Tabs" forum on LP.com, which was mainly inhabited by JOHNPETRUCCI, who liked to rant about how much Brad sucked for "just playing powerchords" on a daily basis? Basically a 2003 equivalent of Joe? Yeah, that guy!). As an aspiring guitar player who wanted to learn Linkin Park songs, this frustrated me, but what frustrated me even MORE was that nobody on the "mainstream" guitar websites seemed to acknowledge that Brad played Don't Stay on a black Ibanez, With You/Runaway on an orange Ibanez, Somewhere I Belong/A Place for My Head on the grey soldier PRS, and everything else on the red soldier PRS. I KNEW they were using different tunings, but every tab I could find seemed to assume that Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb was Linkin Park's "standard tuning," and they NEVER deviated from it. So I just figured "screw these guys, they're all obviously wrong, I'm going to figure it out myself." That led to me constantly correcting people, which led to me transcribing tabs myself, which led to me posting Youtube videos...and somewhere along the line, I started collecting pictures of as many of Brad, Mike, and Chester's guitars as I could find. That led to the creation of the Guitars of Linkin Park website...which ultimately led to Sean Paden getting in touch with me and inviting me to help out with Green Guitar Project! Crazy how far things can go just because some idiot on Ultimate Guitar can't tell the difference between a 6-string and a 7-string.

I'm getting older now and don't have nearly as much time to dedicate to the community as I once did, but I'd be shocked if I ever left completely. I've made too many friends and learned way too much. Hell, I'll probably still be yelling at people on Youtube in another 10 years.

The amount of love I have for this dude is pretty big. When I first joined the LP community, I was always interested in their gear, and 9/10 if something was bugging me and I couldn't work it out, this guy had the answer. I'm glad we've been able to share info about all this technical about the band (and with someone who understands too) and grow with knowledge doing so.

Hell, I'll even go as far as saying, if it wasn't for his Faint Tab, I wouldn't have played with the band. Yeah, I said it haha.

Thanks buddy! and you know where to find me if you ever want assistance with the gear related side of LP. I love that shit!

Anthony is not only very so intensely knowledgeable when it comes to Linkin Park and music in general, he is also one of my closest friends. I've known you for almost 8 years, now, and it's always a pleasure to have long conversations about the music theory minutia buried in Linkin Park songs until neither one of us knows what the hell we're doing anymore. I've enjoyed working with you more than I can say, and I look forward to working with you some more, dude.

Thanks, bro!

Honestly (at the risk of sounding weird!), when I first joined LPL, I wound up visiting the list of Astat's posts, and I legitimately learned a lot from him about LP and music in general just by reading his posts. I admire the amount of knowledge you have and the way that you explain what you know. Much respect.

I remember way back in the day when Astat found out tons and tons of info about LP that wasn't well known, as he was saying. Me and Astat have had our arguments and stuff over the years, but I respect Astat a lot and he is one of the most important members of the LP community as a whole IMO. So thank you for all your knowledge of LP and your knowledge of tons of other music related things as well.