Working Titles

Skipees

Revolution - I'm absolutely 100% positive on this. Definitely not "Rewritten."

Plaster II - Positive on this one as well. Reusing a working title from an old song as a joke is totally

Its Resolution, you see the S in the word after the E.. So now im 100% sure its Resolution

and yes thats Plaster II

Lets keep trying to figure out the rest

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its Resolution, you see the S in the word after the E.. So now im 100% sure its Resolution

and yes thats Plaster II

Lets keep trying to figure out the rest

Good call on that one, the word "resolution" never even popped into my mind, I didn't think there was anything else it could be. :lol:

*Edit* I THINK the last of the 3 songs at the top of the list is "Cuidado." If anybody else remembers, that's a word that showed up on the Meteora "art wall," and was subsequently part of the stage backdrop for a lot of the 2003-2004 tours.

Edited by Astat

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
On 11/22/2013 at 2:35 AM, Astat said:

Here's what I on that studio board from Making of Meteora:

???

???

??? - possibly "Cuidado," but hard to be certain.

Pretty Birdie - written as "Birdie" as opposed to "Birdy" like it appears on LPU 13.

Shifter

Serpent - or possibly Quotient, definitely ends in "-ent." Definitely not "Softcut."

Nocturnal

Session

Resolution - I'm absolutely 100% positive on this. Definitely not "Rewritten."

Faint

Sick

Plaster II - Positive on this one as well. Reusing a working title from an old song as a joke is totally something the band would do too.

Nursery - or possibly Hearsay. Could really be either one, but I'm pretty sure it's one or the other.

Drawing

Figure.09

The 3 top ones are never shown very clearly, and I can't make them out at all. What's interesting though is that there are 15 tracks on the board in total, with 12 of them grouped together. We all know Foreword was a last-minute addition to the album, so it wouldn't have been on that board. It's VERY likely that the 3 at the top had already been eliminated from consideration at that point, and the bottom 12 could be the same 12, minus Foreword, that the final tracklisting consisted of. There are a few potential exceptions though. Numb was written very late in the writing/recording process, so it may not have been on the board yet. Nobody's Listening was finished during the mixing phase of the album, so it may not be on the board, but that seems very unlikely, as Somewhere I Belong was also finished during mixing, and Pretty Birdie is on the board. Advance copies of the Meteora album artwork sent out to the Linkin Park Street Team also omitted Hit the Floor from the tracklisting, so there's a small possibility that it wouldn't be on the board either, although I personally think that was just an artwork error, as that song was recorded at the same time as the rest of the album (a short clip of it being recorded at NRG is present either on the Making of Meteora DVD or one of the LPTV episodes, I can't remember which).

The most significant thing about this discovery is that if those 12 songs are indeed the ones that made the album, that means the long-sought-after Shifter and Nocturnal are actually working titles for songs that made the album! I also find it interesting that NONE of the Meteora-era demos we've gotten on LPU CDs over the past few years are present, even in the top 3 spots (none of the titles really match up visually, even if those top 3 can't exactly be made out). You'd think A.06 would be on there at the very least, considering the short version of it was used in several Meteora promotional videos. That would also mean that there are at least 3 more tracks from Meteora that we don't have at all. One is probably the "thoughts that take away my pride" song, another is probably the song with the piano and guitar that's heard while Rob is tracking drums. The third...who knows!

So if someone ever actually ever bothers to ask Mike about Nocturnal and Shifter (seriously, WHY has this not happened yet in the 10+ years we've known of the existence of these song titles?!?!), he'll probably clear it right up for us. If they're just working titles for songs we already have, he wouldn't have any reason to be secretive about them.

I think you're right with it being Cuidado for the last of the top 3, because I see a "-ado" at the end of the word, so I think you're right with that one.

New Edit: For the first of the top 3, we already now know by now it's “Cumulus”.

New Edit: For the second of the top 3, we already now know by now it's "Interrogation".

I think the third of the bottom 12 is "Serpent", not "Quotient", because I see a "-pent" at the end of the word. I might be wrong, but that's what I see.

New Edit: For the tenth of the bottom 12, we already now know by now it's "Husky".

Edit: I'm pretty positive that the third of the bottom 12 is "Serpent", not "Quotient", because there are 7 letters in the title of the song, opposed to the 8 letters in "Quotient".

Here's an updated list of what the songs are (from what Astat got and from what I see) [I'll fix this up every now and then (New Edit: It's all fixed, I think)]:

Cumulus = More The Victim (Definitely not “Resolve” as I originally thought. (We already have a song called "Resolution", lol))

Interrogation = Easier To Run

Cuidado = Lying From You

Pretty Birdie - written as "Birdie" as opposed to "Birdy" like it appears on LPU 13 = Somewhere I Belong

Shifter = From The Inside

Serpent = Unknown (Positive it is "Serpent" because if you look closely at photos of the song board, you can see that there are 7 letters in the song title, opposed to the 8 letters in the word "Quotient". It definitely ends in "-ent.")

Nocturnal = Unknown

Session = working title stuck

Resolution = Unknown (Astat was absolutely 100% positive on this. Definitely not "Rewritten.")

Faint = Working title stuck

Sick = Don't Stay

Plaster II = Figure.09 (Astat was positive on this one as well. Reusing a working title from an old song as a joke is totally something the band would do too.)

Husky = Hit The Floor (It’s not “Nursery” or “Hearsay”, as Astat originally thought.)

Drawing = Breaking The Habit

Figure.09 = Working title stuck

The possibility on what some of these songs (the songs that don't have their working title known yet, or working title stuck) could be "Nobody's Listening" and "Numb", possibly, though I'm not too sure about "Numb", mainly because the song came together quickly and almost effortlessly ("Foreword" isn't included because it was made after the rest of the album was finished).

Edited by NJPLP

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 8:25 AM, NJPLP said:

I think you're right with it being Cuidado for the last of the top 3, because I see a "-ado" at the end of the word, so I think you're right with that one.

For the first of the top 3, I can't really tell, but I think I see a "-olve" at the end of the word. Maybe "Resolve"? I'm kinda unsure on that one.

As for the second of the top 3, I have no idea, but I do know that it's a long song title, unsure though 'cause I can't really see it. May need help with that one.

I think the third of the bottom 12 is "Serpent", not "Quotient", because I see a "-pent" at the end of the word. I might be wrong, but that's what I see.

I'm unsure on the "Nursery"/"Hearsay" situation, though, because I can't see the full word.

Edit: I'm pretty positive that the third of the bottom 12 is "Serpent", not "Quotient", because there are 7 letters in the title of the song, opposed to the 8 letters in "Quotient".

Here's an updated list of what the songs are (from what Astat got and from what I see) [I'll fix this up every now and then]:

??? - ends in "-olve." Can't tell the full song title completely.

??? - Title starts with an "N", unsure what it is in it's entirety at the moment, can’t see all the letters.

Cuidado = Lying From You

Pretty Birdie - written as "Birdie" as opposed to "Birdy" like it appears on LPU 13 = Somewhere I Belong

Shifter

Serpent - Positive it is "Serpent" because there are 7 letters in the song title, opposed to the 8 letters in the word "Quotient". It definitely ends in "-ent."

Nocturnal

Session = working title stuck

Resolution - I'm absolutely 100% positive on this. Definitely not "Rewritten."

Faint = Working title stuck

Sick = Don't Stay

Plaster II - Positive on this one as well. Reusing a working title from an old song as a joke is totally something the band would do too.

Nursery - or possibly Hearsay. Could really be either one, but I'm pretty sure it's one or the other.

Drawing = Breaking The Habit

Figure.09 = Working title stuck

The possibility on what some of these songs (the songs that don't have their working title known yet, or working title stuck) could be "Hit The Floor", "Easier To Run", "From The Inside", and "Nobody's Listening" (Foreword isn't included because it was made after the rest of the album was finished, and Numb isn't included because the song came together quickly and almost effortlessly).

Whoops, I didn't mean to do that!

Edited by NJPLP

• 8 months later...

It's highly possible that Nocturnal is a Numb demo. It was mentioned in newspaper along with Breaking The Habbit and Shifter. I believe they mentioned all 3 songs with their music videos. We are not getting Nobody's Listening and Numb demos in M20 and the working titles which remained are Serpent and Nocturnal. Nocturnal should be Numb and Serpent should be Nobody's Listening.