DSPs: Have They Stopped?

hahninator

Back in March of this year, we started a campaign with as many Linkin Park fansites as we could to get older DSPs (Digital Souvenir Packages) released. It is a known fact that the band has recorded some pre-2007 shows (2007 was the year they started selling them online) and we made it known that the fans want them made available in some format. If you missed the "open letter" for some reason, click here to read it.

In 2013, the band has not sold any DSPs of their shows. In fact, the last DSP sold on the downloads.linkinpark.com DSP website was Johannesburg, South Africa on November 10, 2012, almost nine months ago. So far in 2013, there are now ten shows that would normally quality for DSPs. These would be the Las Vegas show in February, the eight shows in Australia & New Zealand, and the SSMF show.

Since DSPs are usually listed on the website around the time of when LP starts touring again, we became curious about the SSMF show and the upcoming Asia show. We took to Twitter to see if we could get some answers. Pooch and Dylan, who mix, splice and tag the mp3s before sending them off to be uploaded, chimed in and Mike even noticed and replied. Here's what went down:

LPL: "Does anyone in LP world know anything about 2013 DSPs? Are we getting one for #SSMF? Or the Asia Tour? @TourPooch @dylan_ely @ryandemarti"

Pooch: "@lplive @dylan_ely keep asking for them and maybe they will happen. We still record every show."

This comment of course implies that is is very likely the SSMF show and upcoming shows in Asia will not be sold in the near future. Continuing....

LPL: "After our DSP campaign earlier this year to get older DSPs released, it looks like the band gave up selling new DSPs. #onestepfurther"

Dylan: "@TourPooch @lplive we need all you fans to let the band know you want them."

Dylan: "@lplive keep asking it may help"

LP Fan "Jenny": "@TheLoopStudios pretty sure we all want them. especially me. i live for the live shows :'] i kind of collect them.. haha. pleeeaaseee?

Dylan: "@_lostintheecho2 not up to me or @TourPooch the band has not had us mix them."

Mike: "@lplive: I/we didn't decide anything. Not sure who to ask tho. It's usually a function of legality or cost. I'd follow up w/ @lorenzoerr"

We will obviously follow up with Lorenzo about the DSPs, but this brings up the question of why the band (or band's management, in this case, since Mike says the band didn't decide anything themselves regarding DSPs) stopped selling the shows either temporarily or permanently. Did they not sell well enough in 2012? The top 5 most sold shows on the DSP website still list NYC 2008 and a few 2009 and 2010 shows, meaning nothing from 2011 or 2012 has cracked the top 5. Are the numbers down? Could piracy be to blame? What do you think? Or did they just stop selling them for no reason?

Whatever the reason is, we need to make it known that we still want them. The SSMF show turned out to be one of the band's most energetic and lively shows in quite a while. We'll get some polls going, get some Twitter activity and see what can be done, or if we can get some answers about these shows.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are walking backwards with the DSPs thing. instead of getting older DSPs, we are not getting even new ones. you made a letter with 16+ sites, that every one of them represents tens, hundreds and thousand members, and they still saying - "keep asking, maybe it will help".

if there's a reason - that's ok, but it seems like there's no reason.

Edited by Skipees

Damn,i really want a DSP for the show in Malaysia soon. :(

you still have a chance. ;)

Are the numbers down? Could piracy be to blame? What do you think?

they recorded it anyway, so it's not about the benjamins.

they are moving the torch from one to another so who decide about it anyway?

Edited by Skipees

what about create "official LPL DSP" acount on twitter or fakebook and collecting followers and "likes"? If the right person will see it maybe some wheels will move on

or we can create "Official LPL DSP Account", collect money, and buy all the DSP from them directly (if their problem is the money, which i don't think at all, but who knows who's behind this.). Edited by Skipees

The only good thing of this, is that if the stopped the DSP, we will have to start to find AUD's like 10 years ago, and that's kind of nice to me...

But as Skipes said, we are walking backwards, we started the year asking for older DSP and now we are asking for the new ones, is not a good sign at all.

What about the Soundwave legal stuff? Maybe they can't share a DSP, like Admiralpalast for example, or shows like that.

Also if Lorenzo, Mike or somebody from the LP Management is reading this, i think that $9.99 Dollars for a DSP is a bit expensive (at last to me). I bought the Linkin Park 3 Song EP for $8 with Free Shipping so, considering the importance of both items, a single DSP show in mp3 for almost $10 is expensive. (I repeat, at last to me)

Edit: One more thing, if the band keep playing almost the same set over and over in the same tour, if you "buy" or download 3 Shows with different Set you have the whole thing there, they are not like Metallica, LP is not a band of surprises in that field.

Edited by maik_gianino

Just asking for it probably won't help much. I guess they stopped doing them because no one bought them and it doesn't make sense for them to invest time and money into mixing and hosting them. As long as they don't get enough profit off of it they won't continue it.

The easiest thing to do is go to their site and purchase them if you want them to continue.

Edit: One more thing, if the band keep playing almost the same set over and over in the same tour, if you "buy" or download 3 Shows with different Set you have the whole thing there, they are not like Metallica, LP is not a band of surprises in that field.

this is a great point, but the DSPs is mostly souvenirs - for those who goes to the current show. they are not trying to sell all the DSPs to all of the people out there. another reason for why the DSP is not about the money. Edited by Skipees

this is a great point, but the DSPs is mostly souvenirs - for those who go to the current show. they are not trying to sell all the DSPs to all of the people out there. another reason for why the DSP is not about the money.

I know, but i guess that less than the 25% of those people who downloaded the show as souvenir because the went to the show are collectors like you or me, or Mark or Soul or thousands of people that i know, you know and we all know.

What about, add the DSP stuff to the LPU Membership? I would really glad to pay, $10 or $15 Dollares more for "free" DSP downloads, exclusive for the LPU Members.

What about, add the DSP stuff to the LPU Membership? I would really glad to pay, $10 or $15 Dollares more for "free" DSP downloads, exclusive for the LPU Members.

this will flood the LPU which i don't know if this is a good idea (or bad..). but like StaticXero said maybe the problem starts with the payment methods.

this will flood the LPU which i don't know if this is a good idea (or bad..). but like StaticXero said maybe the problem starts with the payment methods.

To be honest, i think the payment method is enough safe to buy stuff. I think the problem is that is expensive and a bit repetitive for those who collect Shows like us. I have some friends that are like "Hey Maik which were the best show of the Honda Civic Tour?" And they only download the Shows that i recommend.

I think there was also not enough promotion at the shows, they would have thousands of purchases each show, the people just don't know well enough about it. If you are just a casual fan and you don't hit the merch booth you have no idea.

So I'd blame most of it on the bad promotion, I'm sure the piracy also plays its part but there is just no way to own them all legally if you want to collect them all.

And why would you even collect shows when most of them are just all the same, unless you went to it or you just want to own them all.

To be honest, i think the payment method is enough safe to buy stuff. I think the problem is that is expensive and a bit repetitive for those who collect Shows like us. I have some friends that are like "Hey Maik which were the best show of the Honda Civic Tour?" And they only download the Shows that i recommend.

i think someone said in the shouthbox(?) that they need to release at least one DSP for every set. which i think it's better than nothing, but then again they will miss the "souvenir" point.

the question is if they will lower the price, and same amount of people will buy them? they will "lose" money.. lower the price is not promising that more people will buy it.

In all honesty, I think it's just a matter of 2013 being the more productive 2006. They are only playing festivals for the most part, so I don't think they see a need to release the DSP's. If they continue this trend for 2014, then I'll be worried.