01.08.2013 - North Hollywood, CA - KROQ Rehearsal

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ok with BTH, my favorite song is The Catalyst and some of you know what kind of fan i am.

But i wonder why they didn't played songs from ATS. At least WFTE or The Catalyst, i really hope they keep playing at least this 2 songs, because i don't want to see the band removing all the ATS songs from the live set, because that could be a bad sign of the band to me... :unsure:

I'd be a huge fan of their selection if they didn't play those two singles from ATS just because they are singles, and they played something like Blackout and WTCFM, or BITS and WTCFM, or something.

Those 3 songs are so good to me and it's sad BITS never made it past 2011.

But i wonder why they didn't played songs from ATS. At least WFTE or The Catalyst, i really hope they keep playing at least this 2 songs, because i don't want to see the band removing all the ATS songs from the live set, because that could be a bad sign of the band to me... :unsure:

last full show, half of ATS song. i wondered about it too.. Edited by Skipees

Nope, every Soundwave show only had WFTE. THIS show is the first one.

http://lplive.net/shows/20130223.php

+ i'm 99% sure that these are the only full show that contained less than two songs from ANY album. it's never happened before (KROQ AAC 2012 is 15 songs set, so i'm not sure how much is full..). Edited by Skipees

Will we get some video material? I'm also interested if Chester sang the whole bridges of In The End (2nd part of it) and Faint ("i won't be ignored" scream).

He rarely sings the ITE bridge, he last did it at the SiriusXM rehearsal. The end of the Faint bridge isn't really uncommon.

I'm still thinking about that talk with Sean Paden.

He said that he made the new GGP Guitar for Lost In The Echo and Step Up. I would like to see at least one more time Step Up out there.

Also is a big rest for Chester, he needs some rest during the show, the band (in my opinion) needs to do something to help Chester, like a hip hop or instrumental medley.

Again, the Step Up comment was just something Sean suggested. Step Up only has one guitar part in it, and Brad doesn't play the GGP guitars. On top of that, those two songs are in completely different tunings, they wouldn't use the same guitar for both of them.

I'm not a fan of the ATS songs live, so I like how they dropped The Catalyst and now only play Waiting For The End. The set flows well. I think the LIVING THINGS sets are solid, and especially the 2013 sets. The SSMF set was good.

I'm not a fan of the ATS songs live, so I like how they dropped The Catalyst and now only play Waiting For The End. The set flows well. I think the LIVING THINGS sets are solid, and especially the 2013 sets. The SSMF set was good.

Agreed. Waiting for the End is one of my favorite songs from ATS, and The Catalyst is my least favorite. So personally I'm happy about that. My favorite song from ATS is Wretches and Kings, but not in a live setting. from the performances I've seen (I might be crazy) the guitar samples always sounded slightly off time and it really bugged me. I think the SSMF set was their strongest in a while.

I haven't, that's why I was still slightly disappointed with it.

Both of you are right....and I asked this once before and I don't think anyone really gave their opinion. Do you think the 6 members of LP alone sit down and decide what to play? Is it solely the bands decision or does management have a say in what songs are played as well? I mean if Mike for example said "hey guys, wanna drop LGM and resurrect Figure .09?" and the other 5 said yes. Is it like...well that's that and they're playing it?

Edited by Justin

Both of you are right....and I asked this once before and I don't think anyone really gave their opinion. Do you think the 6 members of LP alone sit down and decide what to play? Is it solely the bands decision or does management have a say in what songs are played as well? I mean if Mike for example said "hey guys, wanna drop LGM and resurrect Figure .09?" and the other 5 said yes. Is it like...well that's that and they're playing it?

I believe management has a say, due to one of the Australian LPTVs where Mike and Brad swapped the ballad medley for OSC and asked management if it was fine. That might not be the reason, but I doubt management doesn't get any say, just like I doubt the band doesnt get a say.

I believe management has a say, due to one of the Australian LPTVs where Mike and Brad swapped the ballad medley for OSC and asked management if it was fine. That might not be the reason, but I doubt management doesn't get any say, just like I doubt the band doesnt get a say.

I didn't see that... but I was just thinking. Then there was the comment by Joe about wanting to play W&K, but saying he doesn't control those things. I get that he meant he is only one opinion, but still. It just makes me wonder if maybe sometimes when we say things as a community like "same old sets" and "LP never does anything special", maybe they try. Maybe they wanted to play the FULL Reading My Eyes at SSMF, or something else, and management vetoed it. I don't know I was just thinking about that.

"Asked the management", wasn't that Digby? He works for the band, not the other way around.

I think you didn't understand that LPTV. That's Digby, their tour manager, they asked. Not Linkin Park management. Jim is who makes sure last minute stuff like that can be done. In order for the band to change something like that right before the show, they have to get with AT LEAST Pooch (who does the sound), the lighting guy (new guy, no idea what his name is now that AJ left), and Dylan (who starts the click tracks for every single song the band plays except the piano songs). Changes have to be made to gear to remove a song and incorporate another. Jim is the one that makes sure it can be done and who instructs them to make it happen, similar to Papercut opening in Atlanta 2011 instead of Wretches & Kings.

Mike says "Jim, the show is soon, but can we make this last minute change? Is it possible?" and Jim says "Yes, let's do it." It's not a case of Mike saying "Hi LP mgmt, can we plz play a non-single????" That's not it at all.

LP management as far as I know gets zero say in what the band plays live. LP decides the setlists. For instance I believe it's mainly Mike that insists on playing so many singles consistently "because what's what most of the crowd wants to hear" - he even said it in an LPU chat in 2011.

Has everyone forgotten they used the same set back in February? The only difference is the RME bridge.

I actually forgot about it. There was never a DSP or much hype about it, so I kind of forgot. I loved the Soundwave shows. Then came the SSMF and it was EPIC. Plus, RME over BIO definitely makes the set 10X better IMO.

But yeah, I never thought a lot of the ATS songs translated live very well. For example, Burning In The Skies is one of my favorite LP songs even though I'm not a huge ATS fan. But for some reason, it didn't translate well live IMO, especially when I saw it live in Boston in 2011. A lot of people say that it was a good live song, but I didn't see it. WFTE may be the only song from ATS that is great live. It used to not sound good live, but the band has got it down for 2012/2013. The Catalyst is a good song, it's just super long and it doesn't fit very well with the rest of LP's music in a setlist. ATS would be epic live if they played the whole album from start to finish, but the ATS songs don't work well when mixed in with songs from Hybrid Theory and Meteora and stuff.