1998 or 1999?

hahninator

If anyone saw our Twitter account late last night (July 23rd), you would have noticed a few interactions between Mike and our account. The topic we were discussing is when Chester joined Linkin Park. With Sunset Music Festival coming up, this seems like an appropriate time to tackle the date!

MS: That photo was from 1997 or 1998 BTW

LPL: Chester joined in 1999 BTW

MS: I might be mistaken, then. but I thought the Brad photo was about 1998. If you're dying to know, I can ask my friend who took it!

LPL: the LPA has a similar photo with Chester in it which seems to be from the same day, more likely 1999 then.

MS: I'm pretty sure he joined earlier than 1999. I graduated from college in 98, and he was in the band by then.

LPL: Chester consistently mentions his 23rd birthday (March 1999) and you claim that in older interviews too. Ask Chester about it.

MS: Contrary to popular belief, none of us actually know what we're talking about. FYI

Chester has consistently said that he joined Linkin Park on his 23rd birthday (example here and a more detailed example here), which would be in March of 1999. However, the band and/or Mike has stated a few times that it was earlier than that. Even on the 2011 tour, the Linkin Park shirts at the merch booth had the date 1998 on them.

On the LP Underground albums, there are demos with Chester having the date of 1998. It is possible that these dates are incorrect, but they are on official releases by the band.

'Slip' (1998 Unreleased Hybrid Theory Demo) [LPU 11]

'Blue' (1998 Unreleased Hybrid Theory Demo) [LPU 11]

'So Far Away' (Unreleased 1998) [LPU 12]

So we are still unsure if Chester joined the band in 1998 or 1999. Xero was still playing in 1997, and there is a rumored Xero date for December 1998 (show page here), but it's possible that Xero date is incorrect even though it came from a web archive. Chester claims he joined in 1999, though. What do you think - which date is right?

We ended with telling Mike to ask his friend the date of the black and white picture with Brad:

LPL: @mikeshinoda ask your friend for the date of the b&w picture with Brad/Chester, make it a challenge to uncover the truth until #SSMF

EDIT: After we posted this thread, Mike replied and said:

MS: "It's hard to remember, but I'll get to the bottom of it. I'll bet that 1999 is correct though!"

Posted Image

I know the pic sucks, couldn't find a better one right now, but how could they fuck up that shirt (top left).

I'm really curious who in the PR team came up with the claim that the band played over 320 shows in one year/2001. They did play a lot of shows but 6 shows every week within a year is just impossible.

It's in the Rolling Stone text, the iTunes summary (which says 1998 for Chester btw) and MTV used that info a lot too.

I'm really curious who in the PR team came up with the claim that the band played over 320 shows in one year/2001. They did play a lot of shows but 6 shows every week within a year is just impossible.

It's in the Rolling Stone text, the iTunes summary (which says 1998 for Chester btw) and MTV used that info a lot too.

Yeah, that has to be the single biggest lie that's ever come out of the Linkin Park camp. Even if you include the cancelled 2001 shows, going by the live guide, they played about 170. I'm sure we could possibly be missing a couple random dates here and there, but there's no way they even played 200, let alone over 300.

The only thing I can think of is maybe they played that many shows for the entire Hybrid Theory touring cycle, and that information somehow got skewed to "we played this many shows in a year."

As for 1998 vs. 1999, the main reason I've always been sure about 1999 is that it wasn't until the last few years that the 1998 date even came into question. If you went on any LP-related website prior to like, 2009, the information was always "Chester joined in 1999 and the band changed their name to Hybrid Theory." There was never even a hint of doubt about it, and there are interviews going all the way back to like 2001 that are consistent about that information.

I'm a lot more inclined to believe Linkin Park saying Chester joined the band 3 years ago in 2002 than saying he joined 15 years ago in 2013.

I'm a lot more inclined to believe Linkin Park saying Chester joined the band 3 years ago in 2002 than saying he joined 15 years ago in 2013.

Or in another words - in 2002 Mike still knew what he's talking about :lol:

The only thing I can think of is maybe they played that many shows for the entire Hybrid Theory touring cycle, and that information somehow got skewed to "we played this many shows in a year."

That might be right, over 300 for the entire year 1999/2000 and 2001 combined sounds about right.

This interview here for example says:

For the next 12 months [after the album release], if you wanted to get in touch with members of Linkin Park, you would have to have scoured the globe for them. In the 365 days following the release of Hybrid Theory, Farrell estimates that the band played a shade over 300 gigs. “We were averaging about five or six shows a week and then travelling too. I think I only spent about 30 nights in my own bed that year.”

He totally estimates that number. 30 days in his own bed still doesn't make it over 300 shows. 1 or 2 days off a week makes it easily 50-100 off days where they didn't plays shows in between.

K and the esaul video (listed 1999 on the frat party dvd) isn't the same year of those brad/chester/rob pics?

The clothes are the same if I remember correctly, and it's the same place for sure.

That might be right, over 300 for the entire year 1999/2000 and 2001 combined sounds about right.

This interview here for example says:

For the next 12 months [after the album release], if you wanted to get in touch with members of Linkin Park, you would have to have scoured the globe for them. In the 365 days following the release of Hybrid Theory, Farrell estimates that the band played a shade over 300 gigs. “We were averaging about five or six shows a week and then travelling too. I think I only spent about 30 nights in my own bed that year.”

He totally estimates that number. 30 days in his own bed still doesn't make it over 300 shows. 1 or 2 days off a week makes it easily 50-100 off days where they didn't plays shows in between.

Yeah, they may have been ON TOUR for close to 300 days out of the year in 2001, but they didn't play anywhere near that many shows.

• 4 weeks later...

It might be 1998, because Hybrid theory 8 track cd was released 1st january 1999 according to linkin park wiki

1999. Read here and here.

+

Xero's (with Mark as the singer) last show was in 10.12.1998, and they didn't record and release it in 21 days.

It might be 1998, because Hybrid theory 8 track cd was released 1st january 1999 according to linkin park wiki

LOL @ quoting the Linkin Park Wiki as a reliable source of info.

http://lplive.net/features/exclusivehtdemo.php - "There has been some conflicting information about the timeframe this CD was produced; the seller of this disc on eBay reported that it dates to 1998, but in fact, the earliest it could've been made is the summer of 1999. This is because 'She Couldn't' features a prominent sample of the song 'B-Boy Document '99' by High & Mighty, and that song was released in the summer of 1999. That puts this demo CD in the timeframe between the release of the Hybrid Theory EP and the 9-track demo CD, which still makes it some of the earliest demo material from the band."

Obviously Mike forgot about it.... ^^

I'm pretty sure Anna Shinoda's convenient timing of posting all the Xero flyers wasn't coincidental. We can probably consider that the extent of Mike's "getting to the bottom of it."

January 1st sounds like a legit release date anyway lol. Really old articles are very detailed out LP's early days.

There's a lot of wrong info out there, some person publishes it and others just copy.

For example there are tons of incorrect LP tour archives out there, that others copied from us and we've fixed quite a lot over the years.

There's a lot of wrong info out there, some person publishes it and others just copy.

For example there are tons of incorrect LP tour archives out there, that others copied from us and we've fixed quite a lot over the years.

A lot. They need to close it until they'll fix all of them. But I guess they don't even know about all the mistakes.

• 1 year later...

I added up the performances from 2001. I am surprised how many people on Facebook and Twitter think that 324 is accurate. Wow. Linkin Park did NOT tour for 15 weeks (minimum) in 2001 and that's 105 days. 260 days are left, which is far from 324. Anyway, adding it up:

HT European Promo Tour:
3 full shows
1 TV appearance
1 radio appearance
1 TV appearance (after that)
Total (of both): 5 live performances
Street Soldiers Tour:
20 full shows
1 full festival show
1 soundcheck party set
Total: 22 live performances
Deftones European Tour:
19 full shows
1 TV appearance
Total: 20 live performances
US-to-Europe Tour:
21 total shows
(split amongst headlining and festival/radio shows)
Ozzfest:
45 total shows in that period
(split amongst Ozzfest, OFFEST, radio shows, and Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame)
*1 canceled show at a festival*
HT Euro Headlining Tour:
8 full shows
1 radio show
1 TV concert
*3 canceled shows*
1 radio show (after that)
Total (of both, excluding canceled shows): 11 live performances
Family Values Tour:
27 shows (tour was rescheduled a bunch so we list those shows too)
Total: 27 live performances
Countdown To Revolution Tour
9 shows
4 radio shows
Total: 13 live performances
-----------------------------------------------------------
2001 totals:
TOTAL PLAYED SHOWS: 164