When did Chester really join "Hybrid Theory"?

Skipees

When did Chester really join "Hybrid Theory"?

I know the story about Chester birthday, and I think I've found a weird thing about it:

1. if Chester joined Hybrid Theory in his 23 birthday = 20.03.1999, and Hybrid Theory EP released in 01.05.1999, that means they wrote, recorded, mixed and made a thousand copies of the EP in 41 days. Weird. And they recoreded more than the EP songs.

2. You can make a mistake once, twice, but three times? Chester appears in all of them:

- Slip (1998 Hybrid Theory Demo)

- Blue (1998 Hybrid Theory Demo)

- So Far Away (Unreleased 1998)

3. Let's say they was wrong about the LPU tracks titles, but about the first show too?

"We played our first shows as a band in 1998, on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood."

Maybe we have wrong birth date and he joined in 20.03.1998?

---

Do we have any info about when Mark left?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when Chester joined?

i know the story about Chester birthday, and i think i've found weird thing about it:

do we have any info about when Mark left?

Let's try to ask Brad about it somehow.

I think it's more likely that Mike had the wrong show dates as opposed to Chester having the wrong birth date. Lol.

wrong birth date solved the whole 3, but wrong show date solved only one.

I just watched another interview where Chester said it was his 23rd birthday, I don't think he'd get such an important date wrong especially since he must have mentioned it in tons of interviews before.

+9000

there's nothing to discuss here.

+1,000,000,000 but i didn't said he was 22. i ask if there's a possibility that he was 23, but born in 1975 and not in 1976.

maybe we have wrong birth date and he joined in 20.03.1998?

birth date, not birthday. Edited by Skipees

I have 2 things to add here:

1. I don't think the HTEP came out on May 1st, 1999. I've never seen any solid information that points to anything other than "sometime in 1999" on a HTEP release date, but the group bio on the old HT website - http://web.archive.org/web/20021101062623/...om/lpgroup2.htm mentions that the band will have an EP out "soon," but then mentions a late summer 2000 release date for their first full-length album in the same sentence. If the HTEP came out in May 1999, that means they would've had an idea about a release date for Hybrid Theory close to a year and a half in advance? That seems VERY unlikely to me. I was always under the impression that the HTEP came out towards the end of 1999, a few months before the band changed their name to Linkin Park.

2. Chester's been VERY consistent in saying that he did his audition tape on his 23rd birthday over the years. In fact, the first time there was ever ANY kind of indication of Chester being involved with the band prior to 1999 was within the last few years when LPU demos featuring Chester that were dated as being from 1998 started coming out, and when that "Linkin Park: est. 1998" t-shirt popped up and stuff like that. If you were to go back like 5 years, "Chester joined the band in 1999" was pretty much an agreed-upon fact throughout the entire LP community. I'm far more inclined to believe that the dates on the demos are wrong.

Edited by Astat

The 2 Xero shows in 1998 are also very solid evidence.

The May tour mentioned in the text is probably the May 2000 tour, even when we don't know that much about it.

It would be really interesting to know when about it really came out. Since it's just a promo CD probably only the street team people from back then know. I don't think you can look up the date anywhere.

I opened a topic in the LPU forums if someone knows when it came out, I'm not expecting much from it but you never know. I don't know a better place to ask.

If the HTEP came out in May 1999, that means they would've had an idea about a release date for Hybrid Theory close to a year and a half in advance? That seems VERY unlikely to me.

The May tour mentioned in the text is probably the May 2000 tour, even when we don't know that much about it.

It would be really interesting to know when about it really came out. Since it's just a promo CD probably only the street team people from back then know. I don't think you can look up the date anywhere.

looks like May 1999 tour:

Hybrid Theory will soon release a five song EP and will be touring the US West Coast this May. Currently, the band is working on their first full length CD, due out on in late Summer 2000.

they could say this Summer, more reasonable. small different but this is all we got.

so maybe it was released even sooner than May 1999:

"Hybrid Theory will soon release a five song EP and will be touring the US West Coast this May".

they talking about the releasing like it's very close, but talking about the tour in specific month. again small different.

so according to this, this can't be possible anyway:

I was always under the impression that the HTEP came out towards the end of 1999, a few months before the band changed their name to Linkin Park.

-------------

If you were to go back like 5 years, "Chester joined the band in 1999" was pretty much an agreed-upon fact throughout the entire LP community.

if you go back two month, there was only 2 Xero show known in the entire LP community, until i've found the third. i'm not trying to be a smartass, but when something seems weird to me i prefer to triple check than assuming. this is why i opened thread for this question and not post it in the "Quick Question" thread. i want to find the right answer once and for all.

I'm far more inclined to believe that the dates on the demos are wrong.

what about the "first show" thing?

----------

The 2 Xero shows in 1998 are also very solid evidence.

the greatest point in this thread so far. until i found some stronge line, you mess it all again :lol:. Edited by Skipees

Hybrid Theory was recorded from March to July 2000 (according to Wikipedia). They definitely toured the west coast in may 2000. I highly doubt they toured in may 1999 right after Chester joined. They still had no record deal.

Hybrid Theory was recorded from March to July 2000 (according to Wikipedia). They definitely toured the west coast in may 2000.

so you're saying they toured while they recorded the album? :huh:

The studio finals are from May 2000, so that means the album might have been in the mix already around that time. It doesn't change the fact that they played shows at the end of May/early June. The tour was probably not very big, maybe just 10 shows or something. They headlined these shows too.

The studio finals are from May 2000, so that means the album might have been in the mix already around that time. It doesn't change the fact that they played shows at the end of May/early June. The tour was probably not very big, maybe just 10 shows or something. They headlined these shows too.

I think the studio finals are from July 5, 2000.

quoted from another thread:

I'm starting to think they all just dont know what the fuck they are talking about anymore. Mike can't even get the founding year of his band right lol.

in this case we must to find the answer by ourselves. because if they let us another wrong information it will complicated it even more.

I think the studio finals are from July 5, 2000.

It does make more sense but thanks to the fuck up american date format it could be still both. But honestly it wouldn't suprise me if the cover artwork is just recreated. There are spelling mistakes, not to mention comic sans. Anyways this is not my point,

a May release with a tour in may in 1999 doesn't make much sense. That would mean within one month they got their record deal, recorded the EP and planned a tour, that's impossible.

a May release with a tour in may in 1999 doesn't make much sense. That would mean within one month they got their record deal, recorded the EP and planned a tour, that's impossible.

when they got their record deal? and how we know it?

I feel with how much detail is in this interview it's definitive that Chester joined in 1999. I have no doubt.

did you listen to the whole thing? because i skipped here and there.. and he didn't said nothing about the year or how old he was. i guess he joined in 1999, but i want to be 100% sure.